Activision donates $180,000 worth of MW2 units to the U.S. Navy

• 131 results
#1 Posted by bunnyboiler (399 posts) -

#2 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

It's cool that they're doing that, but it doesn't change the fact that MW2 is a shit game and Kotick keeps shoving sequels down our throat.

#3 Posted by xyzygy (9870 posts) -

thats a lot of 360s in that room... 

#4 Posted by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

That doesn't change anything.

#5 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Pittance compared to the profit it's earned them.

#6 Posted by alexl86 (619 posts) -

I guess now  we know where infinity ward's royalties went.

#7 Posted by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -

Yeah maybe they can learn to camp behind a fridge to earn a Killstreak to take out those guys in real life!

#8 Posted by Kohe321 (3522 posts) -
@benjaebe said:
" It's cool that they're doing that, but it doesn't change the fact that MW2 is a shit game and Kotick keeps shoving sequels down our throat. "

Mw2 a shit game? What? 

Oh wait, you're trolling, never mind.
#9 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Awesome. Though, despite what you say, I don't think this justifies the price of $15 for 5 maps.

#10 Posted by bunnyboiler (399 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" Pittance compared to the profit it's earned them. "

Well they already donated over $1 million on launch day:

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2009/11/09/activision-donates-1-million-to-help-war-veterans-on-modern-warfare-2-launch-day.htm

I don't see any other big publishers doing anything.

#11 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -
@Kohe321 said:
" @benjaebe said:
" It's cool that they're doing that, but it doesn't change the fact that MW2 is a shit game and Kotick keeps shoving sequels down our throat. "
 Mw2 a shit game? What?   Oh wait, you're trolling, never mind. "
indeed. Assholes are assholes.
#12 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

180 grand? What's that, 3 copies? 

@Kohe321 said:

" @benjaebe said:
You can't deny that there is a certain level of broken-ness to the multiplayer. Akimbo G18's, rangers, noob tubes, commando etc. Stuff that takes away from the experience and impair it from being a truly great game.
#13 Edited by MythDarK (533 posts) -

So, they are gonna adapt back to a more normal and civilized life by playing a game about warfare against a bunch of screaming teens? I smell trouble brewing.

#14 Posted by Bucketdeth (8003 posts) -

Activision only do this to get some cred, giving $180,000 worth of games isn't a scratch in there wallets.

#15 Posted by kishan6 (1914 posts) -

Its a nice thought but... mw2?!?! thats like the worst game ever(not kidding)

#16 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Kohe321 said:
" @benjaebe said:
Modern Warfare 2 is a shit game. There is no surprise.

And yeah, 180k? If it's charity, that's more like a slap in the face.
#17 Edited by zudthespud (3281 posts) -
@Kohe321 said:

" @benjaebe said:

If he is just talking about the multiplayer he is not trolling, for I agree and have no intention of flame baiting. The single player and Spec Ops was pretty good though.
#18 Posted by raiz265 (2233 posts) -
@Kohe321 said:
" @benjaebe said:
he's right, and i'm serious :|
#19 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -

In light of what MW2 made in sheer profit, one million dollars is little more than lip service. The donation of games to the military, while cool, is just Activision covering its ass. And to reiterate my previous point, in light of MW2's sales, what exactly is $180,000 dollars?

#20 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

Oh, $180,000 worth of MW2 copies, how... meaningless. They could have actually spent money.

#21 Posted by Kohe321 (3522 posts) -
@Jack268 said:
" 180 grand? What's that, 3 copies? 

@Kohe321 said:
" @benjaebe said:
You can't deny that there is a certain level of broken-ness to the multiplayer. Akimbo G18's, rangers, noob tubes, commando etc. Stuff that takes away from the experience and impair it from being a truly great game. "
I completely agree, and I've said so myself in several discussions about the game and it's multiplayer, but there is a big difference from not being a truly great game and being a shit game. :D
#22 Posted by bunnyboiler (399 posts) -
@Snipzor said:
" Oh, $180,000 worth of MW2 copies, how... meaningless. They could have actually spent money. "
They did.
#23 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Kohe321 said:
" @benjaebe said:
It is a shit game.  They took everything that was good in COD 4 and dumbed it down and then took everything that was bad in COD 4 and hyped that shit up. 
#24 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -

Hey kids! Haven't you heard, it's cool to hate on popular games! Now you're hardcore!

#25 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -
@Kohe321: Modern Warfare 2 was good in the same way that a movie like 2012 is good - it has high production values and looks pretty. The gameplay has always been good. But that doesn't mean that a 4 hr campaign, charging $60 for a PC release, no dedicated servers, broken multiplayer, and price gouging DLC isn't shit. Because it's shit.
#26 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @Kohe321 said:
" @benjaebe said:
It is a shit game.  They took everything that was good in COD 4 and dumbed it down and then took everything that was bad in COD 4 and hyped that shit up.  "
Implying COD4 was good 

Anyway, it's obviously to train up new recruits.
#27 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@crunchUK:   Well it wasn't a bad game whereas MW2 is just AWFUL.
#28 Edited by gike987 (1747 posts) -

They are only doing it for the PR. 
This is how it works:
Teenagers who may be interested in buying MW2 thinks the army is cool ----> Activision is nice to the army ----> Thus the teenagers think Activison is cool ----> So they buy games from Activision ----> Activision earns money by pretending to care about the army.

#29 Posted by CaptainObvious (2992 posts) -

Waiting for Dice's move.

#30 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @crunchUK:   Well it wasn't a bad game whereas MW2 is just AWFUL. "
all popular games suck11!!!!1111 now lets all  play persona cos its billiant1111!

Grow the fuck up.
#31 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

How much do you think "$180k worth" of MW2 costs Activision?  ~$10-20k?  How many $'s worth of advertising and goodwill do you think this story generates?

This isn't 'celebrating the release of the Stimulus Package', they are just straight up associating their product with the military for their own benefit.

#32 Posted by Blueman (753 posts) -

How are people trying to play this down? This is a nice gesture and if it was any other publisher they would be getting praised. It is ridiculous that just because it's Activision people say it's not enough.
#33 Posted by DystopiaX (5291 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" How much do you think "$180k worth" of MW2 costs Activision?  ~$10-20k?  How many $'s worth of advertising and goodwill do you think this story generates?

This isn't 'celebrating the release of the Stimulus Package', they are just straight up associating their product with the military for their own benefit. "
this. I'm willing to bet that the 180k is measured in the $60 retail price, but we all know that it costs Activision far less than that to actually make copies. Since they're giving them out for free, that's a lot less. 

And this is a really shitty way to give to charity. Support the armed forces, sure, but isn't there a better way to do it than by giving them copies of a video game? this is just a dumb PR stunt by Activision.
#34 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
all popular games suck11!!!!1111 now lets all  play persona cos its billiant1111! Grow the fuck up. "
I know, because seeing the major flaws in a major game is so overrated.
#35 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

It's not much in comparison to what they have earned, but they are supporting charities, and that is pretty noble regardless. Kotick is a billionaire. He could have changed the 8 to a 0, and then added another 0 to the end as well. But giving a game promoting war with Russia to soldiers might not be a great idea.

#36 Posted by Fudgeblood (217 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
all popular games suck11!!!!1111 now lets all  play persona cos its billiant1111! Grow the fuck up. "
ya coz nobody can have there own opnionz!!11 all popular gaemz r good nd if u dont liek them u gtfo!!11!

Maybe you should grow up, bro.
#37 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -
I wouldn't want to be gifted a broken game
#38 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Woo.

#39 Posted by Xanth93 (485 posts) -

Typical. Activision donates copies of a video game to the Navy to try to look good. Really, they need more important stuff than video games. Also, it's expected that people bitch and moan about Modern Warfare 2. It's a good game with an unbalanced multiplayer. I don't think it's worthy of the huge entertainment launch it got. There are better games out there.

#40 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@bunnyboiler said:
" @Snipzor said:
" Oh, $180,000 worth of MW2 copies, how... meaningless. They could have actually spent money. "
They did. "
Better something than nothing.

And people who say MW2 is a shit game or the worst game ever.

Go play Superman 64 and report back to me.
#41 Posted by Xanth93 (485 posts) -
@Meteora said:
" @bunnyboiler said:
" @Snipzor said:
They did. "
Better something than nothing.  And people who say MW2 is a shit game or the worst game ever.  Go play Superman 64 and report back to me. "
Oh god this. How about Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing? That game is so terrible. Alex Navarro's video review on GameSpot was probably the only video review which didn't require any words. And it's funny.
#42 Posted by MikkaQ (10264 posts) -

It's not like it cost them 180,000 to print those discs.

#43 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

hey guiz i herd it was prety cool to hate mw2?  its rly bad lol.

How is it a shit game?  It's so much better than so many FPS games. It's well above average.  I'm not trying to say it's AMAGAD AMZIN DUD LOL, but it's certainly not "shit".

#44 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -
@xobballox said:
" hey guiz i herd it was prety cool to hate mw2?  its rly bad lol.  How is it a shit game?  It's so much better than so many FPS games. It's well above average.  I'm not trying to say it's AMAGAD AMZIN DUD LOL, but it's certainly not "shit". "
It's like action sack in halo 3 except you can choose your spawn weapon. 

In fact, the more i think about it the more that's pretty much bang on.
#45 Edited by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

$180,000/$60=3000 copies donated.  They have more than made back their development costs so for the cost of a DVD and what's that cost $0.50 or $1500 total they get good publicity and a tax write off so I am glad that the soldiers get this and it is a nice gesture but it doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy toward Activision.

#46 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -
@xobballox said:
" hey guiz i herd it was prety cool to hate mw2?  its rly bad lol.  How is it a shit game?  It's so much better than so many FPS games. It's well above average.  I'm not trying to say it's AMAGAD AMZIN DUD LOL, but it's certainly not "shit". "
It's always cool to hate on popular games. You should know that by now. Shame on you.
#47 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@crunchUK said:

" In fact, the more i think about it the more that's pretty much bang on. "

I'm not even sure what this means...

Edit:  Also, if you're trying to compare MW2 and Halo, that would be like comparing Dawn of War 2 and Starcraft.

Edit 2:  While I still think Activision is a money grubbing piece of ass, it was still nice of them to give soldiers free copies of MW2.  From what I hear soldiers love getting shit like this to pass time, but I don't know.
#48 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@Twilight said:
" @xobballox said:
It's always cool to hate on popular games. You should know that by now. Shame on you. "
Oh. In that case.

Legend of Zelda Orcarina of Time sucks.

Am I doin' it right?
#49 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@xobballox said:

F.E.A.R.2, FarCry 2, Borderlands, BioShock, Call Of Duty 4 are all much better firstperson shooters than Modern Warfare 2, not to mention the bunch from past decades that are much better, still.
#50 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Navy has nothing better to do anyway.