• 94 results
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_A_Drain

Now, I didn't see this coming that's for sure, but I have been saying for a long time that with the cost of the console itself, the amount of money Sony are, or were, losing per unit, and the cost to develop games that the Playstation 3 might not be all that much of a business success.

And, Bobby Kotick being an asshole aside, this is yet more evidence that what i've been saying is the case. Yes, Bobby Kotick is a douche, but unless he actually had reason to make threats like these (IE, PS3 games were not returning money at a decent rate) he wouldn't be making them.

This doesn't really matter to consumers, but the bottom line is that regardless of which console you prefer, if you are the least bit educated in video game business, you should have been worried for the PS3 since it's release, and I have been. Games cost way more to produce for the PS3, the install base is much smaller, Sony fees are higher than other console manufacturers (Anyone seen how much a fucking Sony devkist costs? A fuckton, and thats after they lowered the price, way more per devkit than microsoft or nintendo) and it's becoming harder and harder to get back the investment on Playstation 3 games.

Now, lowering the price of the console is not the answer, especially if Sony have not managed to make the box itself profitable, it wouldn't do them any favors. What they do have to do however is put more effort, and more money into supporting developers, consumers can think/say what they like about developer 'laziness' but coding for the PS3 when you've never done so before is like turning up for work as normal, except everyones suddenly speaking french, or moon language. It really is that different to what developers are used to.

Sony need to put more support forward to developers otherwise there's going to be serious fireworks.

Edit: Source: http://kotaku.com/5296566/activision-threatens-to-stop-supporting-sony-consoles

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Psynapse

Well luckily i can speak french!

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

I still have alot of love for sony carried over from the PS2 days but seriously, even publishers are beginning to bash Sony in public. They've really got to suck up their gut and step up their game by the end of this year.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Psynapse said:
"Well luckily i can speak french! "

I knew someone would say that. Which is why I also said 'or moon language'

The point still stands though, it's not developer laziness that is causing problems on the PS3 development cycle, it's the fact the thing is completely new for most developers and it's incredibly difficult to adjust to, and sony offer little to no support currently.

Edit: Whereas the 360 is essentially a PC, it runs a lot of the same features and is easy to develop for, the Wii uses the same development tools as the Gamecube and again, development is easy (although few use the tools to their full potential)
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kitsune_conundrum
@The_A_Drain said:

It's Sony's inane love for propietary standards finally biting themselves in the butt.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_A_Drain
@kitsune_conundrum:

The Cell chip (the main source of the difficulties) is developed by STI, which consists of a working alliance between Sony, Toshiba and IBM. So it's hardly just Sony's.
tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By tekmojo

Fireworks are bad?

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_A_Drain
@tekmojo:

While they are still inside the factory, most assuredly yes.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By oldschool

The PS3 is easily the best piece of hardware this generation.  Now I have that off my chest, I will also say that Sony tried too hard to be the leader and it is biting them back.  I want a PS3, but at $1000 on release, it wasn't going to happen.  2 years later at $700, it still isn't gong to happen.  Maybe in another 3 to 4 years when it is under $400 (all prices Australian), I will pick one up and get a good library of games cheap.  That won't help Sony.

Sony assumed way too much coming into this generation, but I am still confidant it will stick around and will also overtake the 360.  I wouldn't overly concerned if I was a PS3 owner.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By get2sammyb

It's ironic that a company whose bread and butter is made by releasing over-priced peripherals should threaten Sony with lowering the price of their hardware.

Honestly, from a business stance I do totally understand their concerns. But it really isn't like the PS3 is faltering -- I'm using Wikipedia as a source here so excuse me -- with an install base of 23 million systems. That's a lot of people to ignore -- even if their games do sell more on the 360 they must be looking at IN THE VERY LEAST 30% of their multiplatform games selling on the PS3. Which when you look at something like CoD4 which has sold, what, 10 million [figures pulled out of my ass for easy maths] -- that's 3 million copies of the game sold. Can they really ignore 3 million games? I don't know.

Needless to say this probably won't happen, and I think it's pretty obvious Sony are going to announce the Slim at TGS in time for the holiday season. They might do well to tell Activision about their plans mind - just in case.

EA must be rubbing their hands together though -- 23 million consoles without Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk and CoD; leaves them a lot of room to make deprived gamers purchase the "alternative" Rock Band, Skate and Battlefield franchises.

Certainly an interesting threat, but I don't see anything coming from it, even though I do understand where they're coming from.

What with this and Ghostbusters it's like Christmas time all over again when virtually everything was negative Playstation news. We've had a good six months of nice press. I knew it was too good to be true.

kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_A_Drain said:
" @kitsune_conundrum: The Cell chip (the main source of the difficulties) is developed by STI, which consists of a working alliance between Sony, Toshiba and IBM. So it's hardly just Sony's. "
I guess, but still, they're the ones who pushed forward for a untested product onto a mass consumer item. Power of the cell! Sony's laptop divisions seem to be making better decisions lately by dropping crap like sony m2 and such but it looks like the psp go will still continue with its own thing.

The age of 'make it and they will buy* ended about 70 years ago. Sony needs to think more about all its stakeholders.
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldschool said:
" The PS3 is easily the best piece of hardware this generation.  Now I have that off my chest, I will also say that Sony tried too hard to be the leader and it is biting them back.  I want a PS3, but at $1000 on release, it wasn't going to happen.  2 years later at $700, it still isn't gong to happen.  Maybe in another 3 to 4 years when it is under $400 (all prices Australian), I will pick one up and get a good library of games cheap.  That won't help Sony.

Sony assumed way too much coming into this generation, but I am still confidant it will stick around and will also overtake the 360.  I wouldn't overly concerned if I was a PS3 owner.
"
I hear you, 699.95 from ebgames, 679.95 on offer. wtf man.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By get2sammyb
@kitsune_conundrum: I don't think they're neccessarily citing problems with the Cell although they do mention it costs a bit more to develop on PS3.

I think they're worried the PS3 is losing steam and as such will result in lower attach rates and less of their games being sold. Alas his point is moot - the PS3 has pretty much plodded along since release. Nothing has particularly slowed from what I've read/seen/heard.

It's true what the Sony exec said though when he said "everyone wishes we'd just give it away for free". Activision are simply worrying about people not buying their games. I'm not entirely sure how threatening to stop supporting the Playstation brand helps their cause.

I will say this in terms of hardware pricing this generation - you really do get what you pay for.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_A_Drain
@get2sammyb:

You can't judge how valuable the PS3 is to a company by dividing up the sales like that. You have to look at how much it costs to port that game to the PS3, and then add up the amount of cash the PS3 sales alone generate.

With that specific example, Call of Duty sold 4.34 million on the PS3. Now, with the avg of a publisher raking in $32 per disc (figures explaining this i've posted too many times, not bothering again) that works out at 151.6 million dollars. Now, you can be damned sure that covered the cost of the port, but it also generated Sony 18 million dollars (They take an 8 dollar fee from each disc)

The threat here is not about the bigger games, it's about the smaller ones that do not make 150 million dollars, it's about the ones that just about struggle to break even by selling something like 300 - 500 thousand copies, the reason they are threatening to stop supporting Sony is because for each of these smaller games. Lets have an example, Game X, sold 350k copies, cost 5 - 8 million to produce, and made the publisher almost nothing (5 to 3 million, as the 350k sales generate 11.5 million dollars, assuming they all sell for full retail price, which is very very often not always the case, see Mirrors Edge)

Whereas Sony would rake in 2.8 million from that game, plus the cost of devkits, support, other fees, coming to about 3.2 million total. For essentially doing absolutely nothing, and they run no risk either because regardless of how much the publisher has to slash costs to shift unsold copies of the game, Sony still gets 8 dollars a disc.

This obviously pisses publishers off, even those 2 massively selling franchises (GH and COD) for example, if they make a combined 300 million (example, im not looking up the figures) it only takes something like 15 failures and most of that money is gone. And even when games aren't failing miserably, they string along for a while and just about break even whereas on the 360 alone you drop a lot of Dev costs for not having to make a PS3 version, and you make a much larger percentage back.

So in essence, yes, they can no only afford to lose those customers, but if things get any worse instead of better, they won't be able to afford to keep them.

Edit: And his point is not moot. It's plodded along at the same slow (in comparison) pace for ages now, and if things dont pick up, then publishers have every reason to believe they might get worse. And the higher costs he was talking about are mostly due to increased development time and difficulty, and increased manpower, mainly due to how difficult the PS3 is to develop for at the moment.

Edit: And to make things even more difficult for publishers, stores often take a bigger cut on the riskier products, meaning the publisher sees less money. So while the stores might take 6 bucks, and the publisher 32, for each copy of Halo or COD or MGS4 sold, for riskier things like Mirrors Edge, Dead Space, low budget games, lesser known or now franchises, they take more and each extra dollar they negotiate is a doller per disc the publisher then has to make back by selling even more copies. Something that's not easy to do on the console with the lowest install base.
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@get2sammyb said:
" @kitsune_conundrum: I don't think they're neccessarily citing problems with the Cell although they do mention it costs a bit more to develop on PS3.I think they're worried the PS3 is losing steam and as such will result in lower attach rates and less of their games being sold. Alas his point is moot - the PS3 has pretty much plodded along since release. Nothing has particularly slowed from what I've read/seen/heard.It's true what the Sony exec said though when he said "everyone wishes we'd just give it away for free". Activision are simply worrying about people not buying their games. I'm not entirely sure how threatening to stop supporting the Playstation brand helps their cause.I will say this in terms of hardware pricing this generation - you really do get what you pay for. "
I guess but Sony also has a tendency to make a machine that tries to do everything. That's the thing, I look for a gaming console in the PS3 but its seriously bloated with features I don't use and the one thing that I'll use often (BC) they take away so my entire demographic is marginalised. I really do hope that they will release a more barebones sku that is just for gaming (assuming that they drop and retain the right features (BC)) and price that accordingly, I'll definitely hope back onto the train.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_A_Drain

I wrote a blog post somewhere shortly before or after the release of the PS3 claiming it would go the way fo the Dreamcast, i'll have to dig it up actually, i'll curse myself for predicting it if it does actually happen.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oldschool
@kitsune_conundrum said:
" @oldschool said:
" The PS3 is easily the best piece of hardware this generation.  Now I have that off my chest, I will also say that Sony tried too hard to be the leader and it is biting them back.  I want a PS3, but at $1000 on release, it wasn't going to happen.  2 years later at $700, it still isn't gong to happen.  Maybe in another 3 to 4 years when it is under $400 (all prices Australian), I will pick one up and get a good library of games cheap.  That won't help Sony.

Sony assumed way too much coming into this generation, but I am still confidant it will stick around and will also overtake the 360.  I wouldn't overly concerned if I was a PS3 owner."
I hear you, 699.95 from ebgames, 679.95 on offer. wtf man. "
Way too much.  It is doing quite poorly in Australia.  

I will qualify my comment though - it is worth its cost based on what it is.  It is a top quality blu-ray player, it plays games, it has wi-fi and connects to the internet nicely.  Trouble is, I just want a games machine and I don't want to pay for things which I don't need.
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_A_Drain said:
" I wrote a blog post somewhere shortly before or after the release of the PS3 claiming it would go the way fo the Dreamcast, i'll have to dig it up actually, i'll curse myself for predicting it if it does actually happen. "
One console future! or better yet, PC!
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cspiffo

This could be really bad news for Sony.  This is the same reason why the Dreamcast died with lack of support from EA (back then the largest third party pub.)

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By get2sammyb
@The_A_Drain: Which totally makes sense but then explain to me how Take Two managed to acquire the majority of their revenue from the Playstation 3 in 2008?

"Speaking of earnings, Take-Two's SEC filing also dissected its sources of revenue. Some 82.3 percent of its net publishing revenues comes from current-generation platforms. Of that, the company took in $347.0 million from PlayStation 3 games, $281.5 million from the Xbox 360, and $112.0 million in Wii sales. The former two figures were driven by GTAIV, whereas the latter owes its success to Top Spin 3, Major League Baseball 2K8, and the Carnival Games casual series. Interestingly, Take-Two considers the DS a previous-generation system along with the PlayStation 2."

I certainly remember, but can't find the sources unfortunately, reading other publishers who cited the Playstation 3 as their biggest source of revenue at the end of 2008.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By oldschool

Sammy rightly mentions that 23 million or so units are out the.  That is 2 & 1/2 years into its life.  Can we have some perspective on whether this is a good number or a failure?

The Xbox sold about 23 million units last gen - was that a failure?  I doubt it.  The Gamecube sold nearly as much as the Xbox, yet it was called a failure.  Numbers are a funny thing.

There is no reason why the PS3 will not end up with 50 million before the end of its life and that surely is successful.
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldschool said:
"
unit sales don't really mean much. We need nominal figures and their attach rates because of people like me who spend more on the console than on the games. (i borrow off buds)
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By get2sammyb
@kitsune_conundrum: Just out of curiosity - do you consider the inclusion of a free PSN a "bloated feature"? I'm curious which part of the PS3 you consider to be an unneccessary addition. The blu-ray enables it to be future proof even if you don't watch movies on it. As does the interchangable hard-drive.

I'm not trying to defend Sony or the PS3 here as I know people will assume when they read my posts. I'm just curious about this "overpriced" mentality -- the hardware is some of the most realiable on the market and it's also by far the most future-proof system on the market.

I understand when people say it's expensive. It's the overpriced thing I don't get.

I kinda have the opinion that when you drop £300 on a PS3 yes it's expensive, but it's worth it. I understand that a lot of games are playable on XBOX 360 (and very rarely actually better) -- but in XBOX 360 you do have to figure in the costs of maintaining an XBOX Live account (regardless of whether it's better or not you still have to pay for the priveledge), batteries for the controllers or a Play-And-Charge kit, hard-drive which is non-standard meaning you can't just go out and buy a 1TB HDD, etc.

I'm just curious exactly what people describe as a "bloated feature" on the PS3. From my point of view the PS3 just gives you more out of the box. Would people prefer a cheaper console with a £20 yearly subscribtion on PSN, a 5GB hard-drive and a higher failure rate?

Again I'm just curious - no disrespect to other systems intended.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_A_Drain

@get2sammyb:

Well, Grand Theft Auto IV for a start, as well as Bioshock hitting the PS3 (and seeing as the main development cost for Bioshock would have been in the previous years figures, it stands to reason this would boost them disproportionately) Not to mention very few Wii releases from them that year, and those competing with some very good releases, Carnival Games managed to account for a huge amount of profit though.

You also have to realise that revenue is different from profit, I guarantee you Carnival Games on the Wii made a bigger percentage of net profit than even GTA IV did, it cost next to nothing to product. The other issue is that Take 2 released a fair number of new games for the PS3 that year which were ports of Xbox 360 games from the previous year, which boosts the revenue numbers as those games (at that point in time) are selling for a fresh 60 bucks, whereas their xbox counterparts are now in the bargain section.

That aside, you cannot post one companies experiences and claim that no problem exists, there are always blips, boosted earnings figures, etc etc. Also, you will notice that due to the PS3's delayed release in Europe, that will also factor in (Wasn't released until march 2007, so of course it will be a major number when companies release sales figures in 2008, not to mention it gained speed in europe quite significantly after christmas as we saw a number of quality releases around that time, further boosting the 08 sales figures)

For me, the most shocking number in that whole article was that out of 1.5 BILLION revenue for the year, only 97 million of that was profit.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By get2sammyb
@The_A_Drain: But this is standard fare for a lot of industries. Tesco is the largest supermarket in the UK (maybe Europe too) with revenue of around 60 billion and overall profit of around 3 billion. That's a whopping difference.

It would be interesting to see the numbers as profit opposed to revenue but I'm just putting it out there.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_A_Drain
@get2sammyb said:
"@kitsune_conundrum: Just out of curiosity - do you consider the inclusion of a free PSN a "bloated feature"? I'm curious which part of the PS3 you consider to be an unneccessary addition. The blu-ray enables it to be future proof even if you don't watch movies on it. As does the interchangable hard-drive.I'm not trying to defend Sony or the PS3 here as I know people will assume when they read my posts. I'm just curious about this "overpriced" mentality -- the hardware is some of the most realiable on the market and it's also by far the most future-proof system on the market.I understand when people say it's expensive. It's the overpriced thing I don't get.I kinda have the opinion that when you drop £300 on a PS3 yes it's expensive, but it's worth it. I understand that a lot of games are playable on XBOX 360 (and very rarely actually better) -- but in XBOX 360 you do have to figure in the costs of maintaining an XBOX Live account (regardless of whether it's better or not you still have to pay for the priveledge), batteries for the controllers or a Play-And-Charge kit, hard-drive which is non-standard meaning you can't just go out and buy a 1TB HDD, etc.I'm just curious exactly what people describe as a "bloated feature" on the PS3. From my point of view the PS3 just gives you more out of the box. Would people prefer a cheaper console with a £20 yearly subscribtion on PSN, a 5GB hard-drive and a higher failure rate?Again I'm just curious - no disrespect to other systems intended."

I think the major problem isn't necessarily that i's overpriced (after all, sony is losing money on each unit, so that cant be the case at all) but that its just fucking expensive, and not everybody has that amount of money to wave around.

I know I dont. Even after upgrading to a 360 elite, and paying 80 squid to get it repaired the thing only cost me a little less than a PS3.

When the majority of the content is the same (you can argue back and forth if you want, but I personally feel that a game is very rarely 'better' on either console) you can expect people to look at the pricetag, and their eyes explode, especially if they don't care about bluray, built in wifi, or the cell processor etc.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By get2sammyb
@The_A_Drain: I agree. It's just a shame the "value-added" strategy hasn't worked out for them. I bought the PS3 because I understood -- but sadly I'll admit Sony have done a terrible job communicating such things to less savvy consumers. Likewise Microsoft have done a good job in making their system appear cheaper than it really is.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_A_Drain
@get2sammyb said:
"@The_A_Drain: But this is standard fare for a lot of industries. Tesco is the largest supermarket in the UK (maybe Europe too) with revenue of around 60 billion and overall profit of around 3 billion. That's a whopping difference.It would be interesting to see the numbers as profit opposed to revenue but I'm just putting it out there."

Well, to work out how much profit something made you have to know how much it cost to produce. Unfortunately those figures are very rarely disclosed. But if you do manage to find figures, you can just take the total sales figures, times them by $32 (even that figure is just an assumption though) then take away the production cost from the result (also advertising costs, etc) and whats leftover is the profit.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_A_Drain
@get2sammyb:

The problem with that is that food has a very very very low markup (apparently it's between 1 and 5%, whereas videogames operate at an avg markup of ten percent) Edit: Well, thats talking about stores anyway, the publisher markup is near 100%, about avg for electronics/entertainment products (same as DVDs) about half of the retail price is what they see per disc.
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@get2sammyb said:
" @kitsune_conundrum: Just out of curiosity - do you consider the inclusion of a free PSN a "bloated feature"? I'm curious which part of the PS3 you consider to be an unneccessary addition. The blu-ray enables it to be future proof even if you don't watch movies on it.
Considering my spending habits probably, but PSN is just software and not a upfront purchasing decision feature. wireless functions are pointless to me but I guess theyre standard for controllers so its inevitable. As a media center? Totally worthless since I already have a PC plugged into the TV. Blu-ray may be futureproofing but multiple dvds dont bother me (we've been having multiple unit games since the 5.5 floppy days)(not to mention pure blu-ray players have already outstripped the ps3 in price and performance since its early days). I'd rather swap discs than do installs btw. I basically just want a 'dumb' machine that i can pop a disc and just play a game.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The_A_Drain
@kitsune_conundrum:

I think he means the inclusion of free online play. Personally that doesnt matter to me as I only pay for Xbox LIVE when I'm in the mood to gather achievements, otherwise I dont really do multiplayer. But I know a lot of people who do like multiplayer are envious of the PSN's free multiplayer.
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_A_Drain said:
" @kitsune_conundrum: I think he means the inclusion of free online play. Personally that doesnt matter to me as I only pay for Xbox LIVE when I'm in the mood to gather achievements, otherwise I dont really do multiplayer. But I know a lot of people who do like multiplayer are envious of the PSN's free multiplayer. "
Thats the thing, if I want to mess people up over the wire, I usually switch back to the PC. The multiplayer context in consoles for me is for friends and families that mysteriously turn up at my door for dinner. Also, my ps3 owning friends consistently tell me that the PSN is slightly inferior in terms of service as compare to live so once again your own argument of you get what you pay (I know, my love for dslr cameras and luxury suits have taught this to me well) but don't quote me on that. Those are just secondary sources of opinion.
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@get2sammyb said:
" @The_A_Drain: I agree. It's just a shame the "value-added" strategy hasn't worked out for them. I bought the PS3 because I understood -- but sadly I'll admit Sony have done a terrible job communicating such things to less savvy consumers. Likewise Microsoft have done a good job in making their system appear cheaper than it really is. "
Microsoft added value by cutting prices while Sony added value by cramming more stuff into it. So which strategy has worked?
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By Steve_C

They may not get as large of a return on the PS3, but it's still profitable. The margins are just smaller than on the 360. It would be a stupid move and they've got shareholders to worry about. They should just invest more in multi-platform development tools.
The fool wascomplaining only recently about console makers not cutting prices, so now he's resorting to hyperbole.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By ProfessorEss
@The_A_Drain said:
I think the major problem isn't necessarily that i's overpriced but that its just fucking expensive...
Yeah, that's the deal right there A Drain.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By get2sammyb
@kitsune_conundrum: Well Microsofts strategy has worked better obviously - but still, when I look at the monthly NPDs and see Microsoft selling just 44,000 more systems than Sony in a region where an XBOX can be bought at approximately half the price - I still don't see the wonderful domination that a lot of people like to tout. Alas, I appreciate we're talking attach rates here and also that they're increasing their lead on the PS3 over time.

I'd be really curious to see what happened if the PS3 cost $200 though. I know it would never happen, but I'm just really interested to see what impact it would have.
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@get2sammyb said:
" @kitsune_conundrum: Well Microsofts strategy has worked better obviously - but still, when I look at the monthly NPDs and see Microsoft selling just 44,000 more systems than Sony in a region where an XBOX can be bought at approximately half the price - I still don't see the wonderful domination that a lot of people like to tout. Alas, I appreciate we're talking attach rates here and also that they're increasing their lead on the PS3 over time.I'd be really curious to see what happened if the PS3 cost $200 though. I know it would never happen, but I'm just really interested to see what impact it would have. "
Any idea on global figures? I'm not american so those mean jack all to me.
CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CharlieTuna
@kitsune_conundrum said:
" @get2sammyb said:
" @kitsune_conundrum: Well Microsofts strategy has worked better obviously - but still, when I look at the monthly NPDs and see Microsoft selling just 44,000 more systems than Sony in a region where an XBOX can be bought at approximately half the price - I still don't see the wonderful domination that a lot of people like to tout. Alas, I appreciate we're talking attach rates here and also that they're increasing their lead on the PS3 over time.I'd be really curious to see what happened if the PS3 cost $200 though. I know it would never happen, but I'm just really interested to see what impact it would have. "
Any idea on global figures? I'm not american so those mean jack all to me. "
Europe seems dead tied, both Microsoft and Sony have touted that they've sold more then the other.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By oldschool

According the VG Chartz, Europe has PS3 at 11 million and 360 at 12 million.  Pretty even, but Europe has been pro Sony, so it is a concern.

The USA makes all the difference with 17.5 million 360s and 8.5 million PS3s.  This would be of concern to the big developers I suppose.

The 3 million PS3s in Japan against 1 million 360s seems to make Japan almost irrelevant.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By The_A_Drain
@oldschool:

Yeah Europe has been pretty pro Sony since almost forever, the Xbox is pretty unpopular around here where I live, i'm surprised it manages to sell at all, but most of these people are your average, unwashed, uneducated consumer and buy for no other reason than "It's tha Playstation, yo" and even with a massively loyal following like that here, they are still only tied with Microsoft, kinda not good.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By oldschool
@The_A_Drain said:
" @oldschool: Yeah Europe has been pretty pro Sony since almost forever, the Xbox is pretty unpopular around here where I live, i'm surprised it manages to sell at all, but most of these people are your average, unwashed, uneducated consumer and buy for no other reason than "It's tha Playstation, yo" and even with a massively loyal following like that here, they are still only tied with Microsoft, kinda not good. "
Sounds like Chav country you have there  :-)

In our domain, the bogan (our chav) tends to buy  the Xbox without any thought.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By The_A_Drain
@oldschool:

Yeah we had a lot of that up until the PS3 was actually released (not until march 2007) then they were promptly dropped in favour of the shiny black object from the Sony Obelisk in the sky.

But a lot of them seem to have kept their Xboxes because if you look around second hand shops it's obvious only the ones with a decent amount of money (procured legally or otherwise) have bought PS3s. The rest are either in the process of buying, or kept their Xboxes. But in general, preference over here seems to be almost universally "Sony, without question" with no reason other than brand loyalty.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ninjakiller

OOOOOOO it's sooo awful!!!!!   You mean I won't get another carbon-copy guitar hero game?  Or a shooter that plays better on pc anyway?  THE HORROR!!

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Godwind
@The_A_Drain said:
" Now, lowering the price of the console is not the answer, especially if Sony have not managed to make the box itself profitable, it wouldn't do them any favors. What they do have to do however is put more effort, and more money into supporting developers, consumers can think/say what they like about developer 'laziness' but coding for the PS3 when you've never done so before is like turning up for work as normal, except everyones suddenly speaking french, or moon language. It really is that different to what developers are used to.

Developing for the PS3 isn't like some new language required.  It requires multithreading.  Your just assigning tasks to multiple processors rather than doing it on one processor.  The real problem is taking the time to assign tasks to different processors which isn't practical for developing for games that will set you back a few months back and a few millions of dollars back.

@The_A_Drain
said:
" I wrote a blog post somewhere shortly before or after the release of the PS3 claiming it would go the way fo the Dreamcast, i'll have to dig it up actually, i'll curse myself for predicting it if it does actually happen. "
I doubt the PS3 is going the "way of the Dreamcast".  In the first 2 years it was in, it wasn't able to sell the 4 million units it needed to stay profitable.  The Playstatation 3 has sold about 20 million units in 3 years.  The Gamecube was only able to sell 24 million units in 6 years.

@cspiffo
said:
" This could be really bad news for Sony.  This is the same reason why the Dreamcast died with lack of support from EA (back then the largest third party pub.) "
EA is still the largest third party publisher.  Sega didn't lose on the dreamcast because the dreamcast was a bad idea, they followed bad business practices.  They Saturn was poorly launched.  Instead of developing games for the Genesis, they tried to focus more on add-ons.
tmontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By tmontana1004

This is not good for Sony OR the consumer for one reason - Activision is a big publisher. With that being said, if Activision is unhappy with the PS3, they may decide to just stop supporting it all together. The only way I could see Sony surviving a hit like that is if they step up their first party developing. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

deathstroke75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#46  Edited By deathstroke75
The guy can't be blamed for making the comment.  The development costs cut into his profits, you basically have to have 2 teams going for 1 title if you want same day cross platform release.  The games industry is a highly competitve increasingly expensive industry, getting hit with a global recession makes it even harder on them to squeeze our recreational money, so they have to look at cutting costs by any means necessary.  If the PS3 continually lags behind in it's sales...it's just a matter of time before hard decisions have to be made by developers in supporting that platform, especially if the global recession/depression becomes long term. The same can be said of all platforms, just Sony is the slower horse right now and the one with the more expensive development cycle for third party non partnered developers.  These guys don't want to lay off employees, look at mergers or buy outs....they want to make $$$$ so they can continue doing what they enjoy and support their families.  If it's not cost effective to develop for the PS3, and you are just losing $$$$ developing for it and the sales don't net you any profit, I couldn't blame any company for it's decision to stick with one platform.  Gaming is our hobby, however for these companies it's their business, it's the food on their plates.  
"It's not personal, it's just business."
strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#47  Edited By strangeling
@get2sammyb said:
" The blu-ray enables it to be future proof even if you don't watch movies on it. "
I'm a little foggy on the concept of "future proof."
When Sony launched the PS3, Blu-Ray had not yet won the format war against HD-DVD.  If they had lost, would it still be considered "future proof?"
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Godwind:

Yes but it's the closest analogy.

Besides, that's not the only task required, aside from having to deal with an archetecture different from anything seen in recent years (And by archetecture I don't just mean "Cell chip lulz!!!" I mean how the ardware interacts with other parts of the consoles hardware is very different from a normal PC setup, or other games consoles and requires a lot of changes to code, not just multithreading, if it was just multithreading it wouldn't be a problem, incase you havn't noticed the Xbox 360 also has a multi-core, multithread CPU) and in addition to that, everything has to be vectorised.

Edit:

Also, your comment about the dreamcast was as inane as it was uninformative. So the Dreamcast needed to shift 4 million units in order to strike profit, how many does the PS3 need to sell? Vital piece of information that. And considering they started out by losing $260 (some claim it's less, others claim it's more, either way, losing a fuckton) per unit and have not yet made a big song and cance about turning a profit on each unit sold. So could be 20 million, could be 200 million, if it doesn't sell enough to turn a profit, it makes no difference. Which also makes your comment about the gamecube completely irrelevant, as it turned a profit out of the gate just like almost everything else Nintendo has made, it might not have been around very long, or considered the 'best' but it turned a nice fat profit and so as a business venture, was a success.
Avatar image for deactivated-62acf8675bf9a
deactivated-62acf8675bf9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstroke75: lol yeah im sure this dude is struggling
you cant tell me cod and guitar hero didnt sell well on the ps3
i see the next ea just a evil dude thinking about his millions of dollars

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By Red

Ya know what? I really couldn't care less. I love my PS3 just fine, and if Activision stops making PS3 games, that's A-OK with me. Yeah, Sony would be even deeper in the hole, but Activision is a terrible company. The last good game they made was Modern Warfare, and before that, I really can't think of anything. If Activision wants to be flat-out imbeciles and threaten to pull support, I think Sony should let them.

Seriously, besides Modern Warfare, what good games have Activision made this generation? Oooo, maybe Tony Hawk Ride or the billion Guitar Heroes coming out this year could be fantastic!