Activision, now taking the fun out of EVERYTHING.

• 73 results
Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Leptok

http://www.tsl-game.com/ 

"Activision, after acquiring Vivendi, became the new copyright holder of the classic King's Quest series of adventure game. They have now issued a cease and desist order to a team which has worked for eight years on a fan-made project initially dubbed a sequel to the last official installment, King's Quest 8. This stands against the fact that Vivendi granted a non-commercial license to the team, subject to Vivendi's approval of the game after submission. After the acquisition, key team members had indicated on the game's forums (now stripped of their original content by order of Activision) that Activision had given the indication that it intended to keep its current fan-game licenses, but was not interested in issuing new ones."

http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/03/01/0546238/8-Year-Fan-Made-Game-Project-Shut-Down-By-Activision
TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Activision is gay. Nothing new.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By PufferFiz

Wow that is pretty stupid, I can see why someone would shut someone down if they were using your IP. But you fucking LET them use it, now when they are almost done, take it away. The sad part is Bobby is probably laughing his ass off.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Pinworm45

Lame.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Emilio

They should just tell them to go fuck themselves, remove any connections to King's Quest, and release the game themselves.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Fuck Activision, I still stand by my word that I will not purchase there games ever again (Unless Bobby Kotick gives me some cash)

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Jeffsekai

Saw this eailer, fuck you Activison

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ryax

makes me sad. they had such potential. fuckers.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Evilsbane

Nice, You know how long I have been waiting on this game? Fuck you Activision.

jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jim_dandy

The new EA.

Yeah, this doesn't make me want to buy Activision games.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mcfart

Who cares.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By TheHT

that's fucked up just because they were permitted to work on it before.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pinworm45
@Mcfart said:
" Who cares. "
I would guess the majority of people who expressed their disdain above you
Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Synthballs

Let this be a lesson, never try.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Gabriel

Well, no more Kings Quest

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GunnBjorn

Okay, i never was into King's Quest that much, but i do sympatize for the people that eagerly awaited this new title. 
I'm sorry, dud(ette)s.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By armaan8014
@GunnBjorn said:
" Okay, i never was into King's Quest that much, but i do sympatize for the people that eagerly awaited this new title. I'm sorry, dud(ette)s. "
and sorry for the people who worked on it for 8 YEARS!
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By meteora

Activision makes the old EA look like a pushover.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GunnBjorn
@armaan8014 said:
" @GunnBjorn said:
" Okay, i never was into King's Quest that much, but i do sympatize for the people that eagerly awaited this new title. I'm sorry, dud(ette)s. "
and sorry for the people who worked on it for 8 YEARS! "

Also this.
Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fudgeblood

I hope Activision get a molotov thrown into their office.

I don't even care about the game, but god damn. That's as bad as drowning puppies!(Which is probably what Bobby does in his spare time)

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#21  Edited By natetodamax

Activision needs to be shut down.

McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By McPaper

8 years all for nothing?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Hamz

I welcome our new Activision overlords!

Avatar image for arcane_workshop
Arcane_Workshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Arcane_Workshop

It saddens me to NO END constantly hearing about these old classic Sierra titles being butchered and sold and acquired by new companies who had nothing to do with them... all in the name of money, as ownership of the companies licenses trades hands.

A Fan-Made game would have been awesome, because it would have served as a tribute to the series, made by people who understand why those games are great, and its just totally typical that this kind of thing would get shut down. YET Vivendi allowed the release of 2 horrible Leisure Suit Larry games, made by development teams and under direction who had no regard or involvement in the series.

Seems to me the fans were doing those booger eatin' retards a favor, and showing them what the fans of those titles truly wanted. Most likely they'll try to revive the series on their own, with a development team too young to know what a point and click adventure game even is.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By c1337us
@Mcfart said:
" Who cares. "
Not me really. But it does scream dick move to me though.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Fallen189

Another spam thread, great. Try adding some personal inflection, instead of just copy pasting info ><

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Whisperkill

And I continue my boycott of their games.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By evanbrau

Adventure games aren't really my thing but this must suck to the people giving their free time to the project and for the people who were waiting for it to come out. What does Activision have to gain from this? its not like its taking sales away from the other games (which are so niche by this point they can't be making anything at all from that series). They really are a pretty ruthless company.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By penguindust

Wait, this can't be right?!  I thought Bobby Kotick said he wasn't really a dick?  I guess he and I apply different definitions to the term.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Leptok
@Fallen189 said:
" Another spam thread, great. Try adding some personal inflection, instead of just copy pasting info >< "
Sorry, my son woke up crying as I was going to type. Instead of giving my 2 cents I just hit post.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xyzygy

I don't own one single Activision game for any of my consoles. I'm glad I don't support them in any way.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CaptainObvious
@Hamz said:
" I welcome our new Activision overlords! "
Heil Kotick! No fun! 
Lamashtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lamashtu

Achtung! Achtung! 

Seig heil! Meinen Activision Fuhrer! Vould you like some polish for ze new moustache you have cultivated, Herr Kotick?

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Renahzor

Its unfortunate that IP rights have spiraled so out of control.  For any fans, be sure you know what you're doing when you sign a fan IP use agreement, as they typically contain the one fatal clause that allows termination of IP rights by either party at any time for any reason.  This means if you make something spectacular you plan on releasing as fan work for free, they will pull the plug and back you into a corner to try and buy the project or profit from it in some other way.  Alternatively, in this case it seems like they want to sell the IP, and don't want any frivolous agreements floating around that could diminish that value.   Its crazy, and it may seem morally questionable, but the only thing the corporate guys see is the money.  There's a loophole designed in the contract, they can use that to make more money in some way, and since its perfectly legal and can make them money and takes virtually no effort on their part, they'll use it.   And the contracts are probably non-negotiable from the beginning.  Use the IP for your fan project, we can terminate for any reason at any time, if you dont like it, here's your C&D.

Letter writing may help, or Activision may offer to buy or publish the project at less than ideal terms, or the guys making the game will have some work re-naming and re-packaging the product to not infringe on the IP.  Such is the risk you take with a fan use IP license, if you're working with IP that is not your own you can expect to get taken for a ride.  I think the entire IP legal use system needs a severe rework considering how things have changed over the years.  It simply favors the large corporate entities that can buy up IP rights and sit on them.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By animateria

Activision is the new and improved Evil Avatar.

I don't ever think even EA ever promised to take the fun out of making games.

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By aaox

There's something in Revelation about this, I'm sure of it.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Binman88

Kotick is a tool.

However, spending 8 years of your life working on a project with copyrighted material you don't have the full rights to is a bit silly.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Leptok
@Binman88 said:
" Kotick is a tool.  However, spending 8 years of your life working on a project with copyrighted material you don't have the full rights to is a bit silly. "
Well that had something hashed out, then Activision pulled the rug out from under them. It's really stupid, because anybody who even cared about King's Quest is going to pissed off by this.
Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By Zaapp1

You can't jump to conclusions on something like this.  The problem is that allowing a game like this sets a precedence retroactively on all of their games, or at least the idea that anyone with a computer can ask them for permission to make a new game based on their IPs.  Criticizing one man for the whole situation is similarly unfair.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Leptok

It's still way more bad PR than they needed. If they were worried about that, then they should have just let it come out and go "Alright, well we let that go from before, but no more."

It's like they don't even give a fuck that they are shitting all over their public image. I don't know what they are shooting for, "fuck it, everyone hates us so we might as well just do everything to make sure we squeeze out every penny" It limits their option because people will get fed up with them after a while.

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Aetos

That sucks. Thats Activision for you though.

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

Activision is now the Smart Parts of the video game world.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Demyx

Wow, harsh, that really made no sense.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Drebin_893

That is a fucking joke.

jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jim_dandy

@Zaapp1 said:

" You can't jump to conclusions on something like this.  The problem is that allowing a game like this sets a precedence retroactively on all of their games, or at least the idea that anyone with a computer can ask them for permission to make a new game based on their IPs.  Criticizing one man for the whole situation is similarly unfair. "

"This stands against the fact that Vivendi granted a non-commercial license to the team, subject to Vivendi's approval of the game after submission."

Reading. It's FUNdamental! 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#46  Edited By Video_Game_King

*glares at Activision at around 1:10, posts the following*

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By Bones8677
@Emilio said:
" They should just tell them to go fuck themselves, remove any connections to King's Quest, and release the game themselves. "
I agree.
PDC_Emulator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PDC_Emulator
@Zaapp1 said:

" You can't jump to conclusions on something like this.  The problem is that allowing a game like this sets a precedence retroactively on all of their games, or at least the idea that anyone with a computer can ask them for permission to make a new game based on their IPs.  Criticizing one man for the whole situation is similarly unfair. "

I disagree that criticizing Kotick is wrong. He is a greedy, evil man. His business model consists of taking any IP, game, or piece of software that he can get his hands on and exploiting it to make money. This is not just speculation. He has publicly stated that he wants to take all of the fun out of making video games, and that if things were his way he would raise prices on all of their games just to make and extra buck. Since he is the CEO of Activision I hold him directly responsible for the demise of Kings Quest. Not that he would actually care about gamers, or video games, or anything in general except money.

Lets hop into fantasy land for a moment, and let's pretend Gabe Newell is the CEO of Activision. Do you really think Activision would continue to have a business model based on greed? Or try to take the fun out of making video games?
The answer is no, because Gabe Newell is a gamer. He is one of us. He helps create games for gamers. This is apparent in the games that Valve creates. I bet Bobby Kotick hasn't even played Half Life. Fuck that guy! That should be a god damn prerequisite for making video games, let alone being the CEO of a company whose sole purpose is to publish games. Do you think the armed forces would "hire" a general who hasn't seen combat? No, because he would fucking die in a fire.

/rant
Ihatespaces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ihatespaces

No Caption Provided
"If it was left to me, I would raise the prices even further."  
-Bobby Kotick on the prices of video game peripherals

"Focusing on franchises that have the potential to be exploited every year on every platform with clear sequel potential and have the potential to become $100 million franchises has worked very well for [Activision Blizzard]" 
-Bobby Kotick on exploiting existing franchises while excluding new ones

"We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games."  "We are very good at keeping people focused on the deep depression." 
-Bobby Kotick on the atmosphere in Activision

Problem gamers?
Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Talesavo

Hence the reason I haven't spent a penny on Activision shit and will continue that stance until their business culture drastically changes.