• 58 results
#1 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4167 posts) -

I saw Adam's PS4 conference reaction video. It was at the end of the day, exactly all the press conferences.

So he generalized: The $400 price + $5 a month (12 months) = $460. This would be something closer to XONE's $500 price. Now I'm thinking that if they did do a subscription subsidized model, it would be between $200-$300, plus $15 a month XBL for 2 years. This $500 could just have XBL gold included, for free. So, the end-prices come out very similar now. Plus if you include a PS4 camera, and some move controllers, that PS4 price starts going up.

I also saw some live coverage from Polygon, w/ Chris Plante. I remember him say that Microsoft 'did' have more exclusives, but more "That I cared about." So that's interesting, if you think about it.

#2 Edited by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

Did MS confirmed that XBL gold would be free for X amount of months? If not, why are we doing guess work...

After learning that Killer Instinct was a F2P title and you have to pay for more characters to unlock. It killed my interest.

#3 Posted by StarvingGamer (8040 posts) -

If we add up all the extra costs possible for the PS4 and assume that Microsoft will be giving that shit away for free, then the prices almost become comparable.

HOW COULD WE NOT HAVE SEEN THIS BEFORE?

#4 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

@wasabicurry said:

Did MS confirmed that XBL gold would be free for X amount of months? If not, why are we doing guess work...

After learning that Killer Instinct was a F2P title and you have to pay for more characters to unlock. It killed my interest.

So itll probably cost the same amount as a regular game by unlocking everything?

#5 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

That's a lot of guessing though. Right now it's $500 plus XBL fees. So, as it stands, the price difference is the same. Plus add in the fact that in Europe it's $650-660 plus XBL fees.

#6 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3749 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: Yeah, if you add a bunch of costs to the PS4, and ignore a bunch of additional costs to One, the prices are WAAAAAY closer. You've convinced me I should by a One. Thank you God!

Get over it.

#7 Edited by Demoskinos (14590 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: But still...if camera isn't included they can't make it mandatory or so I'd hope... and if you don't play multiplayer you don't have to worry about that $5 a month.

#8 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -
#9 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

@wasabicurry: Im assume it cant be much higher, and I could almost get into that since I almost never use half the people in fighting games so I could save some money with that.

#10 Edited by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07 said:

So he generalized: The $400 price + $5 a month (12 months) = $460. This would be something closer to XONE's $500 price. Now I'm thinking that if they did do a subscription subsidized model, it would be between $200-$300, plus $15 a month XBL for 2 years. This $500 could just have XBL gold included, for free. So, the end-prices come out very similar now. Plus if you include a PS4 camera, and some move controllers, that PS4 price starts going up.

Hmm. What if you buy an Xbox but then you also buy the accoutrements, a tub of vaseline, some prep-H, maybe a small tube of lube and, of course, the emergency room visit afterwards to get sewn back together - it all begins to add up.

It's a bit silly to say "well the price would be higher if you bought a bunch more stuff too!" It's also a bit of a reach to assume that there's 12 months of Live included in the price of the Xbox, if that were the case they would have said so by now.

I mean, the prices are identical if you just say that the PS4 is $500. It's not a truthful statement either but it achieves the same goal.

#11 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: Yeah, if you add a bunch of costs to the PS4, and ignore a bunch of additional costs to One, the prices are WAAAAAY closer. You've convinced me I should by a One. Thank you God!

Get over it.

Yeah, it seems really weird to just start assuming a bunch of stuff to make the price points appear closer. Why would anyone assume Microsoft would give away Gold and not mention it if they were going to do so? Come on.

#12 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Fuck off Sessler. You're forgetting to add the cost of ordering pizzas from your Pizza Hut app on the Xbox One. That's what it's there for. How can you ignore that?

#13 Edited by joshwent (2144 posts) -

If we add up all the extra costs possible for the PS4 and assume that Microsoft will be giving that shit away for free, then the prices almost become comparable.

Because there's absolutely no reason to assume that's the case?

Also, It's totally true that Kinect is packed in with the $500 XOne and the Sony Camera is not and will cost an extra $60 bucks in addition to the $400 console. But to me, though, this is a wonderful thing. It's Sony saying, "Hey, we have a cool gizmo that you could get if you want to play games with it.", versus Microsoft saying, "So what if it's hiking up the price? So what if you're not really interested? So what if we still haven't shown you that it actually works at all? You'll take our Kinect and you'll like it!"

#14 Edited by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: Honestly, I don't like it. I have played a lot F2P titles in my days and it just screams money grab.

Then again, we do not have the final piece which is the price of individual characters. It could be as low as a penny or as high as nine bucks. Or worse, popular characters are the most expensive kinda like that new Marvel Heroes.

#15 Edited by hidys (1029 posts) -

Until we know how Xbox live works the point about price is null and void.

#16 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

This thread sure got hostile quick

#17 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

Haha this was my thought. It's such insane logic it's laughable.

#18 Posted by axlvandamme (92 posts) -

@joshwent said:

@starvinggamer said:

Also, It's totally true that Kinect is packed in with the $500 XOne and the Sony Camera is not and will cost an extra $60 bucks in addition to the $400 console. But to me, though, this is a wonderful thing. It's Sony saying, "Hey, we have a cool gizmo that you could get if you want to play games with it.", versus Microsoft saying, "So what if it's hiking up the price? So what if you're not really interested? So what if we still haven't shown you that it actually works at all? You'll take our Kinect and you'll like it!"

Exactly. I want no part in motion gaming as it stands now. You can keep your Kinect, Move and Wiimotes.

#19 Posted by LibrorumProhibitorum (340 posts) -

Well whoever has been paying for a Gold account on 360 has payed way above Sony's original PS3 price, so I don't see the issue.

When it comes down to it, it's the cost of the console + games, and in the long run you'd have spent more money on the Xbox One most likely. These are variables which just do not matter and rely on consumer habits.

#20 Edited by Zelyre (1132 posts) -

Doesn't matter. Most people think $299 is $200, not $300. Most people would rather buy a $199 phone with a $99 contract for two years over a $499 phone with a $79 no-contract plan. Most people buy a car on financing at dealership terms which nearly doubles the cost of the car than pay for it all at once. Here in 'murca, many folks want instant gratification. They care about the here and now.

Besides, why pay an extra $100 for Kinect if you're just going to put a hat on it? I would rather have the option of paying more for something I want than paying more for something someone wants me to have. Also, did I miss something? Is Live gold free? Otherwise, XB One's price is pushing $600. (Because tax. Something people don't consider, either.)

#21 Edited by PhilESkyline (774 posts) -

Hey everyone, let's not forget to truly enjoy the Xbox One experience you must have high speed internet and cable is optional I think, those are additional fees.

#22 Edited by yesac2004 (114 posts) -

Adam's hat is the true winner

#23 Edited by EXTomar (4524 posts) -

@starvinggamer said:

It gets even worse when we start to "use our imagination" and create costs that don't exist. Lets say for example if we imagine the PS4 runs on unicorn blood. Right there is another cost that makes the XBone more attractive!

#24 Posted by Eidderf (506 posts) -

@joshwent said:

@starvinggamer said:

You realise he was being sarcastic right?

#25 Edited by forkboy (1118 posts) -

I'm kinda happy that the camera isn't going to be stuck in with the PS4 because I have no interest in motion control nonsense, the grumpy old git that I am.

And yeah, I'd be blown away if Xbox Live Gold or whatever they call it is free, unless it's one of these subsidised models where you pay X upfront & then Y every month, but then you are already paying money every month so calling Gold free in that instance seems a bit of a stretch of the term to my eyes.

But we'll see. I'm not going to make a decision on what machine to buy for probably 18 months minimum so no real desperation from my end. I'll wait & see how shit is, hopefully find an idiot friend with more cash to burn than brains where I can test them out, see what games come out for both machine & make my purchase from a more informed position.

#26 Posted by smitty86 (697 posts) -

I've extremely confused as to the basis of this post. Most if not all of it seems to be saying that "well, IF all these other things are true, they could be the same price." But what reason if any should we have that Xbox Live will be free? They explicitly said your currently live account will transfer over. And its Microsoft, what reason would they have to just say "hey guys, it all free now." That is a pretty big thing that you're just throwing out there without what seems to be any real factual basis. Plus, sure move controllers and the camera cost more money but what makes you think that they will even be that necessary. Look at in the current gen. And there are still no signs that Sony is even putting any more emphasis on Move based gaming than before thereby rendering it a completely optional purchase which shouldn't be calculated into a final cost. Finally, a subsidized payment plan would be a nice alternative but again, we have zero fact about it existing let alone what its price would be and what the terms of the contract would require on the end of the user. Add on the fact that PSN+ has shown to be a better model for the user over Xbox Live in regards to deals and the like....I mean, I get that you may be playing a devil's advocate role, but you are throwing a lot of "what ifs" in there.

#27 Edited by RavenX302 (258 posts) -

Its not even the money for me. Its the '24 hour check in, have to be connected' bullshit. My 360 is my main console which i buy all my multi platform games for, but I'm not touching 'one' until that shit gets cleared up, if it even can at this point.

#28 Edited by Nitrocore (369 posts) -

Just to make something clear, the people who think that Xbox live gold membership will be free, roughly 46 million members all paying $60 or so, ye something tells me that Microsoft aren't going to just throw that money away.

#29 Edited by RonGalaxy (2917 posts) -

Ps plus isnt 5 bucks a month/60 dollars a year, its less than 5 bucks a month and 50 dollars a year. Also, xbox live will not be free. Hes not being the voice of reason, hes being contrarian to ignite rage and get more views

#30 Posted by SlashDance (1806 posts) -

Why is Sessler even assuming that Microsoft could drop the fee for Xbox Live ? I love the guy, I'm just wondering where this is coming from ?

#31 Edited by DefaultProphet (377 posts) -

Ps plus isnt 5 bucks a month/60 dollars a year, its less than 5 bucks a month and 50 dollars a year. Also, xbox live will not be free. Hes not being the voice of reason, hes being contrarian to ignite rage and get more views

Exactly. Xbone, 1 year price will be 560+tax. PS4 will be 450+tax. It's still $100 difference

#32 Edited by cloudnineboya (774 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: I remember him say that Microsoft 'did' have more exclusives, but more "That I cared about." So that's interesting, if you think about it. ok i thought about it what's your point ,who you trying to convince me or you .

#33 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3749 posts) -

I need a big room to use my Kinect. Now I have to buy a new house? What the fuck Microsoft?!

Sony's STILL cheaper.

#34 Posted by AiurFlux (901 posts) -

If by reason you mean clutching at straws yeah I guess so. There's no fucking way that Microsoft gives out anything for free. Ever. Period. Never. Well other than Microsoft Security Essentials, and they even charged for that for a time.

#35 Posted by High_Nunez (218 posts) -

Either way, I'm going to wait at least a year before buying a new console.

#36 Posted by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

If we assume that the Xbox One is going to come bundled w/ Live, shouldn't we also assume that PS4 is going to come bundled w/ Plus?

#37 Edited by Nights (607 posts) -

Voice of reason? He's talking out of his ass. Do you honestly believe that if Xbox LIVE were free, they wouldn't announce that at E3? Especially after all of the public backlash? Not seeing it.

#38 Edited by Freshbandito (660 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: It seems like clutching at straws, sure if you add costs to the ps4 and don't add the mirrored costs to the xbox the prices will near parity. Of course if I buy a ps eye camera and move controllers it will cost more, but you know what? I get the choice to buy or not buy motion control on ps4, with xbox I have to get kinect because it's bundled in and priced accordingly.

For me and the average gamer a PS4 and a year's PS+ is still $100 cheaper than an XboxOne and a year's gold subscription.

#39 Posted by Funkofages (66 posts) -

Just a heads up, if you watch the videos he only comments about the PS4 being something more like a $460 machine for the Playstation Plus. Nowhere in either video is he suggesting Xbox Live being free or cheaper or anything.

#40 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

When logic takes a backseat.

#41 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

Well that IS the argument for/against different SKUs.

One side says "only buy what you want!" and the negative to that is nobody has the same console at home and developers can't plan on anything being a constant.

The other side says " just make people pay one high price and get everything!" and the negative is that people feel like they are paying a higher price for things they don't "need".

#42 Posted by xyzygy (9899 posts) -

But they will undoubtedly offer a version of the game that will include all characters, which will be the exact same as buying the game outright. It's really not that different and could be a little better for getting the game out there.

#43 Edited by Nights (607 posts) -

@funkofages said:

Just a heads up, if you watch the videos he only comments about the PS4 being something more like a $460 machine for the Playstation Plus. Nowhere in either video is he suggesting Xbox Live being free or cheaper or anything.

"You might want to start considering this as a $460 system, and not a $400 system. That might put it more in line with what the Xbox One is going for if Xbox LIVE is free right out of the box."

#44 Edited by xyzygy (9899 posts) -

Hey everyone, let's not forget to truly enjoy the Xbox One experience you must have high speed internet and cable is optional I think, those are additional fees.

That's not true at all. You don't need high speed to authenticate every 24 hours.

#45 Posted by Cheesebob (1232 posts) -

SMOKING DAT SESS

#46 Posted by Telefragged (1 posts) -

Well, considering that PS Plus fees are totally optional (unless you want Multiplayer), it adds nothing to the cost. Until the XBL pricing comes out it's all suspect. Let's also keep in mind PS Plus gives you access to free games as well (some Triple A titles)... While they may not be games people are super keyed up for, it's the fact they add MORE value to their services by adding those things in. I'd rather pay 5 bucks a month for a PS+ membership that's across ALL my Sony devices, then 20 bucks a month.

I frankly don't give a shit about the camera, and until such things start offering a much deeper immersion in gameplay based on those devices, I won't be spending any cash on them. Not to mention the whole used game schmozzle that is basically going to cost you more money in the long run for having to buy new games instead of used games. That triple A title I wanted to get but not at full price isn't going to entice me 6 months down the road to buy it for the same price as Day 1.

Until ALL the pricing schemes and content is verified, it's all conjecture and subject to change on a moments notice. Watch and shoot.

#47 Edited by PhilESkyline (774 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@phileskyline said:

That's not true at all. You don't need high speed to authenticate every 24 hours.

Who said anything about authentication? Also MS said this "For an optimal experience, we recommend a broadband connection of 1.5Mbps."

Also a little education for you...

Broadband started out as a generic term to describe high-speed data communication. This term literally meant a bandwidth that is broad enough to handle a lot of data at the same time--much like the difference between a two-lane street and a multi-lane freeway. Broadband internet service, then, is literally high-speed internet service.

#48 Edited by C0V3RT (1362 posts) -

Here's the voice of reason, don't worry about what anyone else thinks, buy the console that appeals to you the most for whatever reason is most important to you.

#49 Edited by handlas (2662 posts) -

You could of made that same argument for 360 vs PS3. 360 didn't include wifi, paying online, HDD space among other things. When you compared the price of PS3 and everything it came with vs the 360... the price was close.

Guess what, no one cared nor made that argument at the time. So now it matters?

And he just assumed Live will be free out of the box? Ya right, lol. Maybe a month free but didn't they say there will be a month free of Plus. And then they have said they will be giving you free indie games which is great. I assume we won't be getting full retail games free anytime soon if ever like we were on the PS3.

And now I just learned the HDD is removable in the PS4. I'm basically already sold on PS4 and going to buy all my games digitally so I'm happy.

#50 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -