Adam Sessler Departing Rev3 Games and Games Media Entirely

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Shit, man....I've always really liked the guy, even when I didn't agree with him. He was definitely one of the most important voices in the field. I hope to still him pop up from time to time.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#102  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@truthtellah said:

I'm pretty sure it was about the new YouTube copyright claims system that came into effect last fall, threatening the very foundation of monetizing gaming-related videos on the site unless you were an affiliate of a YouTube partner like Machinima.

You might be right. That happened at roughly the same time as the PS4 review event, so I guess I may have forgotten what exactly drove the Twitter rage.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#103  Edited By Hailinel

@chaser324 said:

@toowalrus said:
@ottoman673 said:

Wasn't it Sessler who had that huge twitter melodramatic explosion just before the PS4 launched?

Did we ever find out what that was all about?

Wasn't it related to that PS4 review event and not being able to get his own PS4 dev kit like some bigger sites?

I'm pretty sure it was about the new YouTube copyright claims system that came into effect last fall, threatening the very foundation of monetizing gaming-related videos on the site unless you were an affiliate of a YouTube partner like Machinima.

He was unhappy about the PS4 review event, as well, but his upset claims about potentially not being able to do videos anymore were almost certainly to do with the YouTube copyright changes that were coming soon.

I'm fairly certain that his Twitter meltdown was over the PS4 event. If it had anything to do with Youtube and the copyright claims system, he could have talked about that. When people asked him what he was freaking the hell out about, he chose to clam up instead even though plenty of other people had already spoke out against Youtube's practices.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't follow his tweets all that much, but he seemed to be more optimistic than a lot of gaming journalists, at least on camera. Meh. He'll be sorely missed. I practically watched all of his features, especially Address the See and the reviews.

Bummlmitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By Bummlmitz
@hailinel said:

That episode aside, I don't have that much exposure to Sessler's work aside from some of his videos and such. He always rubbed me the wrong way. I won't miss his contributions, personally.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By NTM

Damn. Please tell me that's a late April fools joke. Man, looks like I have one less place to visit when it comes to game sites. I like Tara Long, but Adam was the reason I visited Rev3Games. This sucks. He is one of the longest working professionals in the business, along with Jeff Gerstmann, this sucks. I already said that, but... This sucks. Tabs - Right click select Rev3Games - Delete. It's not an April fools joke. Damn. It sounds like he's doing the Greg Kasavin thing. I just hope we get to see him talk to a bunch of gaming sites now. Visit Giant Bomb; IGN; GameSpot; GameInformer; Gametrailers, you name it.

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

should come work for giantbomb

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This is a pretty huge moment for the industry.

It's a huge hit to the industry....

Hyperbole much? Sorry, but I mean is it really that big of a hit? He's a good guy and he's passionate, but it's not like what Roger Ebert's death meant to the film industry. Sessler was the star of a middle-ranking YouTube channel and was once kinda popular in America I guess for being on TV...? Yeah, not a huge blow. I wish him all the best though.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@pandabear: Maybe it's a bit of hyperbole, but I do think he's played a reasonably significant role in driving the move toward more video based coverage. There was a time when it was all text, screenshots, and the occasional trailer. He was one of the first guys that many people saw standing in front of a camera and talking about video games.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#111  Edited By Sooty

GiantBomb should hire him.

Did anyone make that joke yet? (fuck you!)

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#112  Edited By TruthTellah

@chaser324 said:

@pandabear: Maybe it's a bit of hyperbole, but I do think he's played a reasonably significant role in driving the move toward more video based coverage. There was a time when it was all text, screenshots, and the occasional trailer. He was one of the first guys that many people saw standing in front of a camera and talking about video games.

I agree. I think he has had a significant impact. Him leaving now may not be much of a blow to the industry, as he isn't currently in a huge role, but it is certainly significant.

Patrick mentioned how grateful he was to Sessler for giving him a chance, and for better or worse, he helped pave the way for a lot of what games coverage has become.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I got the feeling that he was getting sick of his job over the past year or so. Well, I enjoyed his videos. I have no idea what he's going to do next, but hopefully he won't disappear from the gaming scene entirely. It would be nice to have him on the bombcast occasionally.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I hadn't gotten to the 2012 Sessler Bombcast yet in my listening to backlog from before I found this site, but I'm listening to it now and it's great. I'd almost forgotten what it's like to have Ryan host a podcast, though.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane122 said:

@nodima: Nick was an intern?

And yeah, first Max and now Adam... Rev3 has lost a lot of its draw for me recently.

Yeah Max leaving was a bummer, but at least Adam was there. Now he's gone too. I like Tara, but not enough to really give a damn anymore. They need to get some new talent ASAP. Max ended up going back to D-Toid too, which makes me wonder if something is going on there.

Anyways best of luck to him.

Hadoken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Hadoken

After seeing him practically implode at E3 last year, this isn't a surprise. He has been increasingly unpredictable, and anxious on camera, this past year or two.

http://youtu.be/Qo8QPyf24FA

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@razielcuts said:

And thus I unsub from Rev3Games.

Same, and it was the only Youtube channel I've ever subscribed to. Max was alright, but he left. Tara is good too, but I don't care much for anyone else in their current stable of on-air personalities.

Adam Sessler was THE reason I followed Rev3 Games. No point to continue following it going forward.

Max is back where he belongs now.

YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE MAX, NOT LIKE LAST TIME.

MUHAHAHAHA!

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder what the hell he'll do for a living now. He doesn't have actual game design experience, just game 'journalism..' nor does he have actual journalistic experience, he wouldn't be considered a newsman or part of the press.

I really worry about all these game journalists who don't really have any professional real world experience.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By development

Well he says he wants to still do things with games. So... if journalism is out of the question, I'd imagine he's getting into development? What else is there?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 chaser324  Moderator

@development: It's most likely that he'll go the consulting route, like what Hit Detection and other companies do. He'll still basically be reviewing games, he'll just be doing it for the purpose of giving developers early feedback so that they can fix things prior that suck prior to release.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Loading Video...

fondly remembering 2003

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Darji

@chaser324: This sounds terrible for this industry if they listen to him. I remember him being outraged about the God of War Trophy without any understanding for its context...

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked x-play, feedback, and sesslers soapbox off G4 but didn't really follow any of the rev 3 stuff. I think he should be in games journalism though, he always had well thought out critiques on games and reasoning for why he liked or disliked something. With all the troll bait lately i think we need people who take the medium serious.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#124  Edited By abendlaender

So I just glanced at the NeoGaf Thread and apparently everybody hates Sessler? I always thought he was one of the guys most people like. What did he do to get so much hate? I didn't really follow him, so I don't know a lot about him.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Darji

@abendlaender: For stuff like this:

No Caption Provided

Again he changed quite a lot in the past 2 years. So I think it is for the better for everyone including Sessler.

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd imagine he's getting into development?

He's getting inside you? Ew!

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: I.....don't really see what's wrong with that statement. A lot of gamers are assholes. Can't disagree with that.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Darji

@abendlaender: really comparing gamers with terrorists is nothing wrong?Just because they want what a consumer deserves? If I remember correctly. This was about the 720 1080P debate not the policy I apologize for that. Still this doesn't deserve such a comment. at all. I may be an asshole but I am not a terrorist.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By abendlaender
@darji said:

@abendlaender: really comparing gamers with terrorists is nothing wrong?Just because they want what a consumer deserves? If I remember correctly. This was about the 720 1080P debate not the policy I apologize for that. Still this doesn't deserve such a comment. at all. I may be an asshole but I am not a terrorist.

It's called hyperbole for comedic effect. It's very common on the internet. I can live with that.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abendlaender: It was not a hyperbole he actually meant it that way. You should search for this tweet a bit more to get even more context. But that is slightly offtopic and I do not want to ruin is farewell thread.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By abendlaender
@darji said:

@abendlaender: It was not a hyperbole he actually meant it that way. You should search for this tweet a bit more to get even more context. But that is slightly offtopic and I do not want to ruin is farewell thread.

I can assure you that he doesn't really think that gamers are worse than terrorists. Do you hate John Drake too? Cause he agreed with Sessler on this. Just sayin'

But I agree with the offtopic, don't want to derail this thread.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By EXTomar

@darji said:

Gamers are also like oatmeal. That is how simile works where you shouldn't be offended I called you oatmeal instead of an a-hole.

You seem to always want to be offended at something. Maybe you should stop looking at the world like it is constantly attacking where in this case I'm pretty Sessler doesn't even know you.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Well best wishes to him and I hope things work out. He seemed genuine and had some interesting things to say.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#134  Edited By hermes

...the time feels right to explore new avenues inside of gaming that help further the medium...

It seems like he is not entirely out of gaming.

Best of luck on his new endeavour, it is weird to say good bye to someone that has been on the forefront for so long, but the important thing is that he leaves by the front door...

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#135  Edited By Kidavenger
Loading Video...

This is an embarrassing video to go out on...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I did enjoy listening to Adam Sessler's views and ideas, even though I didn't always agree with his reviews on games. He has, lately, seemed a little distraught, stressed-out, and tired. Actually, those are all relevant words but "uncollected" might be the best way to describe him recently.

I do hope that Adam Sessler continues to play games, and I would love to see him write a blog focused on games or something like that, but with the games that he wants to play and in the timeframes that he wants to play them.

I have little interest in anyone else at Rev3. They all seem like good people, but they never produced much that I cared for.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#138  Edited By oraknabo

Other than being aware of his issues with the GOW trophy and his complaints about Sony's events when launching the PS4, I guess I've missed out on the steep decline everyone's talking about. It seems like he's just tired of the console makers, the AAA publishers and the fans. I completely understand that and it's better if he can do something more private for a while instead of broadcasting his frustration directly to the people pissing him off.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's neither shocking nor unexpected. I unsubbed from rev3 a few months back so I knew it was coming. I respected him but didn't agree with his "recent' reviews. I can't say I'm sad to see him go.

KingdanglerBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Really DID like ADAM! PERIOD!

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

Adam gave really good opinions and reviews. It's a shame that people always attacked him for his views. I wonder if that all the negative feedback drove him away from games criticism as a whole.

galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a very smart man with an obvious passion for literature. I'm glad he's exploring new avenues, even if those avenues are spending more time with his family.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Do you have the correct timeline on that? I seem to remember the Youtube copyright thing blowing up some time after Sessler wrote that cryptic shit on Twitter. Also, Rev3 being a corporate channel, they might've been more hesitant at leaking that stuff than random Youtubers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I did like all that speculation during E3 that Sessler was drunk off his face. I would leave too if gossip about personalities drives more hits than funny yet insightful opinions about games.

The 'funny and insightful opinions about games' part has been missing from my life. The Bombcast makes games seem boring and pointless and Patrick's articles make games seem awful.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I did like all that speculation during E3 that Sessler was drunk off his face. I would leave too if gossip about personalities drives more hits than funny yet insightful opinions about games.

The 'funny and insightful opinions about games' part has been missing from my life. The Bombcast makes games seem boring and pointless and Patrick's articles make games seem awful.

I read this and thought it was a tad OTT and Doomsayer-y but after a bit more contemplation it's actually a pretty accurate if glib summation of my feelings on GB as of late.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@brodehouse said:

The weird thing about this to me, is that out of all the journalists currently out there very few of them seem to recognize games media as the three ring circus that it is. I think Jeff definitely does, but outside of him, Jim Sterling and Shawn Elliott I don't think anyone else in the games media is exactly comfortable with the fact that their jobs are to essentially be the intermission clowns between game releases.

Not sure how this ties into your feelings on games media at the moment, but I swear I started off with that intention.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b71541ba2cd
deactivated-64b71541ba2cd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't check out his stuff all that much, but I kind of appreciated his vocabulary.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

@darji said:

Everyone hates something or dislikes someone other people like that just does not mean they are right or wrong.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And now Anthony is leaving Rev3/DDN. Starting to seem like Rev3 may be done.

I'm usually not one for this kind of talk but, if this is the case, I'd love to see Tara come here.