Adaptive Difficulty or Set Difficulty?

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Edited By immike

Hey all, I was wondering what ever happened to the concept of this. I remember that Borderlands tried something like this in Multiplayer, but can't think of any in the past. I can't place my finger on many other games but here's something I thought about while playing.

I have been playing Mass Effect 2 (2nd playthrough Insanity) and it has been very frustrating. It is challenging, yes, and I do enjoy challenge, but I feel that the challenge can come at a steadier pace. At times, I will die constantly and start questioning various aspects of the game: Why does every enemy have a shield?  Is this supposed to be fun? Is this even possible? Why am I even playing on this difficulty? Perhaps I shouldn't be, but here's what I think.

At this point I am not enjoying myself and just questioning every little detail. There are games that have had something in the form of adaptive difficulty and that is Borderlands. The only problem is that it doesn't work for singleplayer. Borderlands actually scales the difficulty back and forth depending on how many players are present. I ask, why can't this be done in singleplayer games as well? Instead of players being the independent variable why not something like damage? The difficulty could sway back and forth during a few beginning missions or training levels and measure the damage/health that's traded back and forth between players and A.I. enemies until an average is found. After this the difficulty could set, or it could be a more persistent system (either or). 

I understand that some players may want an option to really test their abilities, so maybe a message might come up asking players whether to stay at that difficulty or not once a maximum difficulty has been reached. It just seems that games are focusing too much on difficulty for replay value for singleplayer as well as achievements relating to this. In my honest opinion, it makes the game less enjoyable due to the pursuit of achievements, amount of failures, etc. Here's what I wanna ask you guys:

• Which games have had this system and implemented it really well? 
  • Why do developers not utilize a method like this? (it could be as simple as hide difficulties and change depending on deaths, kills, or damage.
  • Would you like something like this or do you prefer having the option?    
  • Would you rather just have a set difficulty like Assassin's Creed (just an example)?
  • Could this be as important as something like autosaves in the world of gaming if done properly?
immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By immike

Hey all, I was wondering what ever happened to the concept of this. I remember that Borderlands tried something like this in Multiplayer, but can't think of any in the past. I can't place my finger on many other games but here's something I thought about while playing.

I have been playing Mass Effect 2 (2nd playthrough Insanity) and it has been very frustrating. It is challenging, yes, and I do enjoy challenge, but I feel that the challenge can come at a steadier pace. At times, I will die constantly and start questioning various aspects of the game: Why does every enemy have a shield?  Is this supposed to be fun? Is this even possible? Why am I even playing on this difficulty? Perhaps I shouldn't be, but here's what I think.

At this point I am not enjoying myself and just questioning every little detail. There are games that have had something in the form of adaptive difficulty and that is Borderlands. The only problem is that it doesn't work for singleplayer. Borderlands actually scales the difficulty back and forth depending on how many players are present. I ask, why can't this be done in singleplayer games as well? Instead of players being the independent variable why not something like damage? The difficulty could sway back and forth during a few beginning missions or training levels and measure the damage/health that's traded back and forth between players and A.I. enemies until an average is found. After this the difficulty could set, or it could be a more persistent system (either or). 

I understand that some players may want an option to really test their abilities, so maybe a message might come up asking players whether to stay at that difficulty or not once a maximum difficulty has been reached. It just seems that games are focusing too much on difficulty for replay value for singleplayer as well as achievements relating to this. In my honest opinion, it makes the game less enjoyable due to the pursuit of achievements, amount of failures, etc. Here's what I wanna ask you guys:

• Which games have had this system and implemented it really well? 
  • Why do developers not utilize a method like this? (it could be as simple as hide difficulties and change depending on deaths, kills, or damage.
  • Would you like something like this or do you prefer having the option?    
  • Would you rather just have a set difficulty like Assassin's Creed (just an example)?
  • Could this be as important as something like autosaves in the world of gaming if done properly?
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Red

I wouldn't really say that Borderlands is a master of scaling difficulty, but I have found that I don't like games easing up on me because I played crappy for a little while. I do like how some games let you change difficulty whenever you want to because it always gives a good option of basically giving up on a harder difficulty level, instead of adapting to me sucking. I like the feeling of reward I get after beating a difficult boss, and I don't want that to then be soured by the realization that the boss was easier than when I first fought him. 
However, I do enjoy Valve's way of making crates drop more health when you need it, and I think that in games without regenerative health, something like that is absolutely essential.

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By PowerSerj

I like the way Bethesda and BioWare did it for Oblivion, FO3, and Dragon Age. Big, fat, blatant menu options that can be adjusted/changed at any time.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By immike
@Red: Yeah, I agree. Borderlands isn't the master of it or anything. It was just the game that I remembered most recently. 

@PowerSerj:  I agree that adjustable difficulties are pretty sweet. I guess the question I had regarding that is what if the game adjusted the difficulty for you? Know what I mean? Hehe
jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By jonnyboy

Left 4 Dead and especially Left 4 Dead 2 scale depending on how many players are in the game, ie Normal difficulty will be different when 4 players are in as opposed to just 2. Also the 'director' system they have in place seems to do a good job of changing events based on how well or poorly you are playing, for example if all players health are in green, and you have health packs, cue Tank. Or if your moving really quickly a Witch in a narrow corridor.  

I also like the way games like 'Splosion Man let you skip a level if you die a certain number of times allowing you to go back to it later so you're not stuck on one level and just give up, (even though punishment for doing so comes in the form of a pink tutu).

At the moment I'm having the same problem you are having but with Batman. I love that game, I love the creeping, the riddles, the back story and generally being a bad-ass. But when those boss battles take place (not Ivy, or Croc) but the ones that were just crowbared in there at the last minute to pad out the game's length and add nothing to the story ie pretty much anyone after the first Titan, like the one with the two titans in the green house or the one with the Titan and the bad guys in the elevators, and the final one with the two titans, it's really depressing. After the first one I get it, give me some thing new, do I really need to fight 5 more? And what's the game's answer to higher difficuly during these pointless bossfights? Better AI? Different attack patterns? Environmental hazzards? Nope, more Henchmen. Brilliant.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By immike
@jonnyboy: Ah, good point. Left 4 Dead 2 does have some sort of thing. The question I have regarding that is why does it still have difficulty settings? The difficulty settings also differ drastically depending on which you choose. I'm wondering if there is a way to make a system that does not have a difficulty but something that causes the game to adapt, not the player.  

So, as with your problem with batman. Maybe the system would eliminate an enemy next time. Or, maybe it would give you a slight advantage in health or damage. Or, maybe it would not have let the game progress as it did and would have solved that problem long before you arrived there by adjusting the game's actual difficulty to your playstyle. There are many ways the system could work, and i'm wondering why more games don't utilize something like this. 

Thanks for the reply!
jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jonnyboy
@immike: The reason it has difficulty settings is because they do just that, change the difficulty (less ammo, longer respawns etc). Where L4D cleverness lies in it's scaling. It forces players to work as a team and keep them on their toes. Rather than "well, just add more zombies" it' requires a new approach each time depending on the actions of each individual player. It's a complex idea refined and made simple, and I'd love to see something similar introduced into more games, especially single player games.
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By vidiot

I went into my Insanity play-through in the first Mass Effect until my character was almost level 60. I demolished that play-through.

If I hit the highest LVL (30?) when I do an Insanity play-through, how does it compare?

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By immike
@jonnyboy: Well, I understand the idea of working as a team, but that is more in terms with a multiplayer game. Borderlands is similar just to where it scales. However, for singleplayer, difficulties don't force anyone to work with anyone. Reducing ammo is something that the game can do regardless of difficulty and can be used in a system and not just in a difficulty setting.  

If the game automatically did that in singleplayer depending how good the player was doing and had no difficulty options, what would it be like? I can also see how that can work in multiplayer without having players fiddle around with difficulty settings or die numerous times without any help. Regardless of how L4D2 scales, it certainly does not scale enough on the hardest difficulty to allow players to progress by toning down important factors. This limits several things. First, the players will have to resort to a lower difficulty. This new difficulty may not be easy or hard enough, so that players will not experience the game to it's fullest as it may be a cakewalk or a tragedy all over again. I think difficulty settings are a thing of the past. We are at the point where games can evolve again and (as I said before) adapt to the player instead of the other way around.
immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By immike
@vidiot: Umm, hard to say since I did not complete the first one on Insanity. I believe this one is easier than the last one on insanity (from what i've heard from various people). The only thing that makes it harder is the class differences. Biotics can no longer run in and dominate; but instead infiltrators and soldiers are best. It's because every enemy has some sort of barrier or shielding or armor and biotics do not affect protected enemies. So, you gotta whittle down their protection until only their health remains. At that point they are so easy to kill that theres no point in biotics..
jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jonnyboy
@immike: I think you have a good point, and I'd love to see difficulty settings become a ling of the past. However like I've said developers can use difficulty levels to quickly and artificially lengthen a game to get it on the shelf. I'm not an expert but I assume the maths involved in creating adaptive difficulty is pretty complex. Plus a lot of people like difficulty settings. It's undeniable that there is a certain amount of bravado attached to being able to complete something on Hard or Expert. It's as if you personally have earned the title of Expert. It feels nice, especially when you are part of a small group. 

Another example has just come to mind, there is a mode in Guitar Hero 5 that allows you to start a song and depending on how well you are playing gets harder or easier on the fly. I thought this was a really neat touch and I definitely think it could be a welcome addition to the next wave of rhythm games, let's face it if the genre want to stay popular it needs to find a way to appeal to new players and I think things like this are a step forward.
immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By immike
@jonnyboy: Cool, I am glad I was finally able to make some sense. It takes me a while sometimes as I have tons of thoughts running around in my head. I also understand that people like difficulty settings. I, for one, do not. But, the fact that people do could be the reason that the system is not yet popular or available in many games. I still think there's gotta be some way to have people feel that same satisfaction of being an expert without difficulty settings, but I don't have many ideas. I still think that Multiplayer should be for that purpose and singleplayer should have the adaptive difficulty, but that's not my decision.  

In the end, I agree with both of your statements with bravado and with the GH5 adaptivity being a step forward. Thanks for replying!
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By StarFoxA

I like adaptive difficulty for two reasons. If I suck, I'll probably be fine (and most of the time, I do suck) and there will be no achievements tied to difficulty.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By immike
@StarFoxA: That's what I like about it too. The only problem I had while imagining what it'd be like without achievements like that, is that it would replace the appeal of having beaten something tough and receiving a reward. Most hard difficulties I find downright cheap and frustrating, but some people love that and love being rewarded for it. I can't think of a way to fill that gap other than scrapping those kind of achievements all together and just focusing on power gamer (completionist) type achievements which is fine with me.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I like being able to change the difficulty on the fly, but I don't like the game doing it for me. If I set the difficulty to hard, more often then not it's because I want to push my abilities(I'm generally a "normal" sort of guy). I don't like being frustrated, but I don't want a game to hold my hand the whole way, either.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By immike
@Bellum: Yeah, that's the main flaw with the system i'm describing. The system works to smoothen the experience so that the right amount of challenge is applied and players are entertained throughout. Though, if one wishes a really bumpy, uneven experience (for the sake of extreme challenge), the system would not work unless I thought of something else.  

For someone who likes normal though, it would work just fine imo.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I think adaptive difficulties are a cool idea. I remember me and a good family friend that lived with us really enjoyed playing Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando and each of us replayed it a couple times to max out all of the weapons, yet we thought it would be a really great idea if it would progressively scale up the difficulty in each playthrough. After you beat the game a couple times, your weapons and just incredible and you can breeze through pretty much any enemy with little effort. If it could have kept getting harder each time, it definitely would have increased the replay value. 

However, I'm not so fond of the idea of a gaming becoming easier and easier if you suck, or holding your hand through difficult spots like in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Set difficulties are cool because then you know everyone who plays it is enduring the same challenge. Let's say you really really sucked or played terribly on purpose, just to get the game to reduce the difficulty for you, and then you could easily beat it and rack up achievements or whatever. You certainly wouldn't get the same level of satisfaction out of it, and really you'd just be cheating the whole adaptive difficulty system, as well as yourself.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By immike
@TheGreatGuero: I have also thought of this and this is why I said earlier that difficulty-based achievements will not work with adaptive difficulty. Also, New Super Mario Bros. Wii handled it pretty poorly, I agree. When I describe the system, I assure you it will not be a "oh you died, here's a level skip" type of system. It's more of an integrated, behind-the-scenes system that can tweak and adjust various settings as you play the game.  

By the way, that's a really cool idea what you did with Ratchet. I've done that before, but I don't recall on which game. But yeah, those who wanna cheat and exploit games for achievement points will continue to do so, not much anyone can do.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@vidiot said:
" I went into my Insanity play-through in the first Mass Effect until my character was almost level 60. I demolished that play-through.  If I hit the highest LVL (30?) when I do an Insanity play-through, how does it compare? "
Because this game is more of a shooter and less of an RPG, you're still going to get wiped across the floor. 

Though, with some persistence, you'll succeed.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@immike: Yeah, I'm not fully sold on the idea just yet, but in certain games, I think it could possibly be cool. Still, heh, maybe this is jacked up, but I kind of preferred the Devil May Cry 4 way of handling this. If you start doing really poorly, you can unlock an extra easy mode. That's so hilariously awesome.

By the way, you're mike, but are you...  

Oscar Mike?
immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By immike
@Sir_Ragnarok: That's a pretty good way to put it. Although, I'd say that if you take your time through most of the game you will do significantly better than if you run and gun. However, there are just some parts that are plain messed up. 

@TheGreatGuero: Hey dude, don't even worry, because i'm not even fully sold on the idea, haha! I'm just trying to get this out there and see what I can come up with. This all started when I was playing Mass Effect 2 on Insanity and kept dying over and over and over and over....for a stupid achievement. I just thought, there must be a better way. That way is probably to lower the setting, but there's a damn achievement I wanna get! lol. And no...unfortunately I am Paul Mike..not Oscar. Thanks for asking though!
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immike said:
And no...unfortunately I am Paul Mike..not Oscar. Thanks for asking though! "
Ahaha. Oh, man. I'm not even sure how to read this, but it was funny regardless.
immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By immike
@Sir_Ragnarok: lol! Well, I got the Oscar Mike joke, but thought it was funny cause that could also be someone's actual name. Mine is actually Paul Michael (last name), but I go by my middle name. It can be confusing. Anyways...yeah...lol at the confusion!
Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Set, set, set, set, set. The only game with adaptive difficulty where I think it worked well was God Hand, because it got harder if you did well instead of becoming easier when you did poorly. In an RPG, certain areas should be inaccessible to low level characters, unlike Fallout 3. This is my humble opinion, but I like to be challenged by a high difficulty sometimes and know that it's not going to let up no matter how many times I fail. 

But I also hate when games consider a higher difficulty to be 'you die faster, enemies die slower.' IMHO, real difficulty increases involve better enemy AI, throwing more enemies at me, or tougher enemies at earlier points in the game. Just doing damage modifications is lame and feels cheap rather than challenging, which explains why I've beaten Doom 1+2 on 'Utra-Violence' but only scratched the surface of the COD games on anything higher than Normal.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tebbit

I'm always more of a set difficulty, because when it's done well it feels like you've really improved and succeeded at something. The best kind of adaptive difficulty iv'e yet seen in a game is Demon's Souls, making it easier the better you get, so you still have the achievement of getting better at the game, then subsequently becoming an absolute badass over those once incredibly difficult foes. 

@PowerSerj
said:

" I like the way Bethesda and BioWare did it for Oblivion, FO3, and Dragon Age. Big, fat, blatant menu options that can be adjusted/changed at any time. "
Oblivion also had a terrible case of the enemy auto level. Suddenly, after many hours of questing, those lowly rats I fought in the first 10 minutes were kings among men! Falout 3 did it so much better, the sense of progression was actually, shall we say, tangible.
shulinchung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shulinchung

I remember Max Payne had adaptive difficulty, not sure about Max Payne 2. 
I used to love adaptive difficulty, but as I played more and more games with great/fair diffulty setting, one of my problem with adaptive difficulty is that it somewhat diminish the feeling that you are being good at playing the game because the game just becomes unfairly hard for you at some point if you haven't died for a long time, making a perfect run impossible; and it also diminish the sense of accomplishment  when you can simply overcome any challenge by dying multiple times in a roll, intentionally or unintantionally, to make the the enemy AI completely retarded.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By penguindust

If you're playing Mass Effect 2 on Insanity, wouldn't adaptive game difficulty defeat the purpose?  Isn't it supposed to be bat-shit hard to test your skill and commitment?  I'm only asking because the game has the option of dialing down the difficulty if you want.  When I play Dragon Age: Origins, sometimes I need to drop it down a skill level to get through a rough spot then I bump it back up when I am over the hump.  Wouldn't adaptive game difficulty be the same thing only the computer is doing that for you?  I think all games should have adjustable difficulty throughout the single-player adventure instead of something that is set at the beginning and any change requires a fresh restart.  I think that is more reliable that the computer trying to judge whether or not it needs to make things easier on me.  I want the choice (and shame ;-D) to be mine.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By immike
@SuperfluousMoniker: Yeah, the difficulty of most of the games on the hardest was one of the reasons why I had this idea. Most of the time, the game is just not fair. 

@Tebbit: Hmm, i see. Some people like the challenge. I can't really argue against that. I like the experience to go smoother throughout the game. The right amount of challenge with the right amount of room to experiment as well. 

@shulinchung: Well, the adaptive difficulty, if done properly, shouldn't make the game easier, but balanced. It should make the experience genuine depending on who is playing. For instance, your playthrough may require enemies have a bit more HP, maybe 1 or 2 more, and slightly better better enemy accuracy. Whereas, your friend may be having a hard time and may have some settings reduced only slightly as well. I would think that, if it was done properly, it would average out many statistics and then give you an experience that caters to you so that it is not difficult or easy to any extreme. Sounds complicated, but that's why I think it could be an important development in gaming. 

@PenguinDust: Yup, that is definitely true. Dropping the difficulty is necessary to full enjoy the game unless you enjoy utterly impossible challenges. I would just like games in today's world to be more adaptable. It should find my playstyle and work with it, not against it. I fully understand those people that badly want that challenge and can't really argue against it. If you really want to have control over the experience and have a really easy or really hard time with games, that's a choice that adaptive difficulty may not replace, but just throw out.
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Andorski

I'm trying to remember which game(s) has this... but I think its best when you can have a set difficulty that only changes when you die a set number of times in a single area.  'Splosion Man had something like this, where after you die 6-8 times, it would ask you if you want to skip the level.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Video_Game_King

I prefer set difficulty, as an adaptive one can be just as frustrating, only for the entire game. If the enemies level with you in an RPG, tackling a really hard boss becomes impossible due to the lack of grinding. I'd prefer that the difficulty be set so I don't have to worry about trying every single tactic possible on a boss to get them dead.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#31  Edited By MrKlorox

Both could work if implemented correctly.

For example you might choose a difficulty setting that altered set statistics (rarity, strength, accuracy, etc...) like most difficulty settings, then the enemy AI could adjust itself to counter your play style. The initial concepts of the A-Life system used in STALKER was supposed to be super advanced and scalable to your style. Too bad that never played out.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By immike
@Andorski: That's an alright feature. I can imagine some of those levels being frustrating, but I kind of would want the game to adapt and maybe give clues or make small adjustments to your jump height or amount of space required to grasp a ledge just barely. That way you don't really lose any satisfaction from completing the jump, due to the fact that the change can be so small that you wouldn't notice.  

@Video_Game_King: I definitely see the point of enemies leveling with you and I hope, that if a dev does try this, they do not include that. Enemies leveling with you is not really the idea of the concept, but is an important thing to note. Small rats in oblivion becoming more powerful is not a fun idea for a game. For a game like that, the rats would merely evolve just a bit maybe requiring a slight increase in hp just to make killing them a swing more fun. However, every single enemy does not have to change for the adaptivity to work. In oblivion, you could simply level past them and have newer, more powerful enemies (compared to the rats) with different characteristics that delivers a fresh new challenge, but without having a huge advantage. The system could, in fact, add different powers, spells, or traits that the new enemies have while keeping the old, crappy rats relatively the same.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#33  Edited By Video_Game_King
@immike: 

I've seen that system in play, and let me say this: it simply doesn't work. It ultimately depends on what difficulty the developers set it at; if it's too hard, there's no way to make the game easier. It's hard for developers to verify the difficulty of a game without having people play it, at which point it'd be too late.
immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By immike
@Video_Game_King: I appreciate the comment, but I am not convinced that it is that simple. If it didn't work, it was not implemented correctly. The reason I am not agreeing with you at this point is, because if it worked correctly there would be no set difficulty except maybe at the very beginning before the personal statistics were taken into account. Sure, it has to start somewhere, but if it was done correctly it would have adapted to the player quicker. I'm gonna be honest and say that a system like this has not been done yet. There have been half- 
done attempts at it, but no game has ever done it to the point at which I am describing. I do agree that what has been done so far is not fully acceptable, though.