• 65 results
#1 Posted by Joey_Connell (56 posts) -

So i've bought about 50 to 60 games already this year and i doubt i've finished even 20 of them. At the same time i currently have 7 games on order from Amazon. I seem to be content just owning the games and play about an hour of them. I know this seems crazy but is anyone with me. Do you buy more games then you could ever have time to play?

#2 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3528 posts) -

Yup. Count me in. Though I did closer to 30 this year.

I do play everything at some point, but yeah, maybe beat 50% max. It's just fucking steam man. Too many good deals. If you've got wide-ranging tastes, and you like old and new games, you're toast. How could you not just buy buy buy?

#3 Posted by CJduke (799 posts) -

Its just steam for me. I bought Borderlands when Borderlands 2 is coming out in like 2 months and I knew I was never going to play it. If something is $5 I can never resist, I always end up telling myself "oh that could be really fun, its only $5" and then $50 later I have 10 games that i may never finish.

#4 Edited by AjayRaz (12475 posts) -

i bought 70-ish games last year and i only finished 15 games-- half of them probably not even from 2011. if you guys want to go down a dark hole, you should tally up the amount of money you spend on games at the end of the year if you have that problem of buying too many games for your own good. it's not pretty.

#5 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

I did exactly that when I first got my 360. My friend said "Do less buying and more playing so we've got stuff to discuss!" Now I hate the 360 and am finally playing games I never got to before I started on that spree. I'm playing Paper Mario 64 ffs!! And I've got the follow ups to play. P.S. I'm loving it. P.P.S. 360 really is shit.

#6 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

I used to buy tons of games that I've heard good things about, but never really ended up playing most of them. I'm changing that. I'm in actually in the process of getting rid of every physical game I own that available for PC. I never play them, and if I ever want to, I can just pick it up on Steam.

I'm going to gamestop with a shoebox full tomorrow. I know I could get more cash on Ebay, but I don't feel like taking pictures and waiting around for them to sell and stuff. Just get them outta here!

#7 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

While I did buy the Humble Indie Bundle V and only touched half the games so far I gotta say I don't have this issue at all.

Thing is, I very much so like Blizzard games, in particular Warcraft 3, Starcraft 2 and lately Diablo 3. So I've just set me a somewhat high quality standard, especially in terms of fluid gameplay and animation as well as being fundamentally solid.

I for example never had the slightest interest in Skyrim because the game is too broken for me, as you can easily abuse poorly implemented mechanics to level up certain stuff like blacksmithing skills etc. by doing stupid repetitive stuff (crafting a lot cheap weapons for example) because... well because Bethesda didn't actually pay much attention to that stuff. Stuff like that destroys games for me. When the effective way to play the game is also broken then fuck that. On top of that the animation and voice acting quality in that game is terrible for these days, the itemization and inventory management is crap, pausing and quicksaving ruins battles for me etc. pp.. So really, there's nothing that draws me in.

At the same time I can pretty easily tell which games I'm gonna buy and enjoy. For example Terraria I immediately liked and expected to have a good time with - turned out true (though that game also reveals a lot issues later on but you get a lot hours out of it). Or Rock of Ages, which is a fricking brilliant game that I kept playing with a friend forever.

Granted, I also bought a few games I deemed rather bad later on, even though I got my hours out of them, like SPAZ (during alpha/beta or whatever that was) and Dungeons of Dredmor (worst inventory system you could ask for in a game like that). But initially I was interested to play them for many hours, which is something.

This steam sale left me cold, didn't buy a single title because I didn't intend to play any of them.

#8 Posted by SexyToad (2759 posts) -

Wow thats a lot. About $3000.34?

#9 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

I'm not as bad as I used to be but sometimes I do find myself standing in eb games wondering why I'm there. Can't leave empty handed though.

#10 Posted by me3639 (1849 posts) -

Ive bought about 20 games i think this year, but with only at about an average of $15 or less. Love Steam and Amazon sales.

#11 Posted by Aquablak (198 posts) -

I'm with you, man. I buy too many games, but usually on sale, thankfully. By doing this, only the games that really grab me get real play time, and there's no real rhyme or reason to it beyond my tastes at the time. Bought The Witcher 2 on xbox, played it for a couple hours and never picked it up again. Same with Skyrim. Dragon's Dogma, on the other hand, hooked me and I put dozens of hours into it. Madness.

#12 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

If I were to sit down right now and start playing all of the games in my room, I estimate that it would take about 3 years to complete them.

Without stopping to sleep.

Trust me, I have it way WAY worse than you or anyone you have ever met.

#13 Posted by billyhoush (1193 posts) -

I'm addicted to new releases and I think it's cause I play through all my games and then constantly check gaming sites and fall for the hype machine. Like I gotta have a game as soon as it is out because I'm a sucker and have no backlog. I wish I had discipline to wait a month or two for the games to go on sale and drop at least $20.

I just enjoy playing new games too much.

#14 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i use to do it, but not as much. maybe a few games every couple of months. i don't do it as much as i'm working on my backlog. i just bought probably 10 games off of steam from the sale.

#15 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

I buy like 5 games each year and play the shit out of each of them.

#16 Posted by Hunter5024 (5956 posts) -

With the exception of Humble Bundle stuff I almost never buy games that I don't eventually finish. I've probably done that with less than 10 games in my whole life.

#17 Posted by Morningstar (2238 posts) -

I buy a ton of games, but since I know I won't even play most of them, I wait until they are cheaper. A back catalog of 200 games or so, and its getting bigger each month :)

#18 Posted by ajamafalous (12145 posts) -

I have over 700 games on Steam.

#19 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

I know exactly what you mean and am right there with you. Gotta have them games.

#20 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8605 posts) -

I can barely get by every month and I don't have this problem.

Priorities for me, really.

#21 Posted by Muerthoz (351 posts) -

When I buy games through Steam sales, most of them cost me around the same price of a game rental for a console game. When I think of it that way, it doesn't seem too bad to me. Once a backlog of more expensive games has built up, then I consider that a bit of a problem.

On the console side, I've bought a lot of games recently because they were on sale that are just sitting in a stack, waiting to be opened. Not really saving much money when the sale price becomes the regular price in a couple of months.

#22 Posted by Beaker (94 posts) -

Same here but I'm getting better.

Since moving to PC gaming I'm spending a lot less on games; either waiting for the Steam sale or until the price drops elsewhere. Although the real test will be from September when everything get's released.

#23 Posted by Twinsun (493 posts) -

Yeah, it actually kind of astounds me how I can even afford all this stuff. But then again, there are a lot of things I almost never buy that most people spend a lot of money each month on.

Clothes, booze, phone bill and so on.

#24 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

i buy games to play, not collect. every game i buy i finish before i move on to the next so i don't end up with a massive pile of shame.

#25 Posted by Humanity (10035 posts) -

I used to buy all games on release and always the collectors edition if possible.

Took me a while to get out of that habit. Mafia 2 really was the worst I got burned. Arkham City had a cool Batman figure but the thing doesn't come with a game case! Imagine, you have to store you game disc in the artbook that has a stiff back and a CD ring thing.

#26 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

@Bell_End said:

i buy games to play, not collect. every game i buy i finish before i move on to the next so i don't end up with a massive pile of shame.

+1 This is me too.

#27 Posted by AndrewB (7689 posts) -

I do, certainly, but Steam sales have taught me to curb my spending habits. I won't buy a game I'm remotely interested in on the off chance I might enjoy it, but I still do find myself buying games I *know* I want to play even if I won't be able to give them a serious chance for a few months. This is especially true of older games that are pretty much unanimously popular.

#28 Posted by Brodehouse (10125 posts) -

I've spent 500 dollars this month on old games that I'll never play. I bought Illusion of Gaia and Parasite Eve because... I don't know?!

#29 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (102 posts) -

I wish I could buy multiple games but I only purchase like 3 games a yr. This yr I am planning on getting Elder SCrolls 5 Skyrim, Transformers Fall of Cybertron and Epic MIckey 2 Power of 2.

#30 Posted by Tsoglani (585 posts) -

I used to be like that and have a heap of PS2, PS3, and PC games that I haven't yet tried or just played for an hour to test if they worked. In the last few years though I have settled a little and have tried to catch up but I always find myself slightly behind.

Still find it hard though, especially when you can order online and get great deals.

And if I had more money I am sure I would be way more addicted to buying.

#31 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

Yes, and I can thank GameSpot's Candid Collector's Union for doing that to me.

I thought Backloggery would help alleviate the problem. It hasn't.

#32 Posted by bemusedchunk (734 posts) -

Do you wake up in the middle of the night craving to spend money on a gaming purchase?

I hardly think that this qualifies as an addiction...

#33 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

I am pretty sure that I have exceeded 70 retail games purchased this year and I doubt I have finished a single one and probably haven't even touched 30-40 of them. I am happy adding 10 games a month if the price is right as those 10 games would be lucky to cost more than $250 - clearance or used. I have no problem with that, but of course, that could be denial.

#34 Posted by Arbie (1437 posts) -

Wow, you must be loaded. Or, maybe you were before your game buying spree? =p

I couldn't afford to buy so many games so I think I'm safe from collecting too many and not playing them. I started renting earlier this year though and that's helped because now I don't have to buy as often to play the games I want to. Oh, also helps that I don't buy into hype I guess.

#35 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -

I usually buy no more than 2 games a month. Sometimes a bit more ( usually during fall) and sometimes less (during summer) however I did but about 25 games this month but that's because of steam and amazon sales

#36 Posted by believer258 (12176 posts) -

When I win the lottery, I'll find out. I probably would be. Steam sales would be something like this:

"Let's see, that looks fun... that looked interesting... I'd like to have that... looks like a nice novelty, I'll buy it... Hey! I missed that one a few years ago, let's see if it still holds up..."

#37 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

I worked in Switzerland for the past 2 1/2 years, and was payed well (at least, for my standards), during that time I spent a lot of money on games, just because I could afford it. I wouldn't call that addicted though, I was just enjoying my wealth, and spending your money is fun, after all.

Now that I'm not working abroad anymore, I'll earn less, but have more free-time, which will hopefully make me feel less stressed out. Because buying games was also, as strange as it may sound, a way to compensate, and playing games distracted me and gave me a moment of peace.

#38 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

I've spent 500 dollars this month on old games that I'll never play. I bought Illusion of Gaia and Parasite Eve because... I don't know?!

Because Parasite Eve is awesome.

#39 Posted by Hosstile17 (768 posts) -

I fell down that shame spiral back when I first graduated from college and didn't have anything going on. I would buy pretty much anything that came highly recommended and play very little of them for a significant period of time. Now that I got the job I want and I have tons of things going on, I don't have any time to buy, let alone play most games. But, I still take a couple of days off of work each year when a new Halo game comes out. My roommate from college comes over and crashes on the couch for a couple days and we drink a bunch of terrible beer.

#40 Posted by lightsoda (541 posts) -

I finally decided to uninstall pretty much everything on steam, and only keep those that I intend to finish right now. And after that they go into the "Finished" category. I intend to at least finish each game once...even if it may take a while.

#41 Posted by Inkerman (1455 posts) -

83 games this steam sale not including DLC. Do I win?

#42 Posted by Inkerman (1455 posts) -

@Morrow: Off topic question, but what did you do in Switzerland, and was the visa hard to get?

#43 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1811 posts) -

I think of it as insurance against boredom.

#44 Posted by cbarnes86 (560 posts) -

I do a lot of "Hey, this game was cool and I never finished it. I'm gonna pick it up because it is cheap." Then I never play it, but just knowing I have it is fine with me. Steam and my new pc has ruined me because I have bought so many games on there in the past month. August needs to wait. I don't have time for Madden, Sleeping Dogs, and Darksiders 2... thank God for Gamefly

#45 Posted by MachoFantastico (4884 posts) -

Certainly over the past two years I've played or even finished less games. Some of that is down to simply falling out of love with video games, a lack of motivation to complete them. That said, every so often a game comes around to remind me that 'ya know what! Games are pretty awesome' and then I get another hunger to play as much as I can.

Remember playing through Journey, had goosebumps at the end and reminded me what games can achieve. Just sad so few do. Optimistic for the next gen to excite me again.

#46 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@Inkerman said:

@Morrow: Off topic question, but what did you do in Switzerland, and was the visa hard to get?

I worked as a gardener without a visa because I kept living in my country and just went there to work, by train. In this case the only thing you need is a work permit, and you automatically get that, your employer does the request.

#47 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1811 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

If I were to sit down right now and start playing all of the games in my room, I estimate that it would take about 3 years to complete them.

Without stopping to sleep.

Trust me, I have it way WAY worse than you or anyone you have ever met.

To be fair, you get those second hand most of the time, right? At a fairly discounted price right?

#48 Posted by mtcantor (951 posts) -

Yes, and this is a big problem for me. I buy a game, play it for 2 or 3 hours, then I don't have time to play more. Busy life, etc. But, then the next big game comes out and I need to have it. Rinse, repeat.

#49 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2100 posts) -

Just bought Fallout: New Vegas on the steam sale and I just can't get past how incredibly ugly that game is. The story is pretty boring, plus I don't have the imagination or the interest in making my character's story up in my head, which is pretty crucial to enjoying those open world Bethesda games.

So ya, not gonna finish that game. I'm not too regretful though, since I only spent $7.50 on it.

#50 Posted by Funzzo (835 posts) -

@Joey_Connell said:

So i've bought about 50 to 60 games already this year and i doubt i've finished even 20 of them. At the same time i currently have 7 games on order from Amazon. I seem to be content just owning the games and play about an hour of them. I know this seems crazy but is anyone with me. Do you buy more games then you could ever have time to play?

I'm up to about 350 games and the steam sale did not help things. I find myself just staring at a huge list of games and never playing anything for more then an hour or less. I don't know why I can't stop buying games. It's kinda become a problem for me. Plus i'm always working 3rd shift or sleeping so I never have time to get into a game if I can even choose one to play.