#1 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

Anyone going to watch this? Could be interesting but I've known the BBC (with a few exceptions) to be pretty anti-video games.

#2 Edited by XenoNick (1481 posts) -

Was going to record it as I had work but since i'm now stuck in bed being ill I may watch it, while playing Persona 3 PSP. *Im not addicted to games however*

#3 Posted by Yummylee (22518 posts) -

Wonder if they'll show that silly clip from Law and Order: SVU aswell, to back up their negative points ;P

#4 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Wonder how much they will talk about mmos.

#5 Posted by DonChipotle (2840 posts) -

I would, but that would mean missing wrestling and I can't, in good conscience, do that. Maybe I'll record it.

#6 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -
I can guarantee that it ill be overblown bullshit. Panorama is normally the Daily Mail for television. I'd honestly be surprised if they were going to look at it from a non-biased standpoint, but that won't happen. They are going to convince a few more people that videogames are the reason for murders and youth crime going up, while blaming global warming for making the new criminals fat and poor at these new roles they have taken. Lovely.
#7 Posted by Arbie (1437 posts) -
I didn't know about this. How funny it's airing so close to the release of Cata =p 

Will watch it if I remember. =]

@XenoNick:  Awh, get better you.
#8 Posted by Bollard (5836 posts) -

Bound to be biased as shit and completely wrong, and then reinforce the negative ideas about gaming into general opinion once more - but yeah, might as well watch it to see how bad it is.

#9 Posted by Yummylee (22518 posts) -
@xMP44x said:
" I can guarantee that it ill be overblown bullshit. Panorama is normally the Daily Mail for television. I'd honestly be surprised if they were going to look at it from a non-biased standpoint, but that won't happen. They are going to convince a few more people that videogames are the reason for murders and youth crime going up, while blaming global warming for making the new criminals fat and poor at these new roles they have taken. Lovely. "
Weird how I was notified for your post. Maybe it's fate, your words must be read!
#10 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
Weird how I was notified for your post. Maybe it's fate, your words must be read!
That is weird. Bug perhaps? Or it's fate. 
#11 Posted by Kieran_ES (258 posts) -

As long as it is in their interest to do so, the BBC will likely continue programs like this that reinforce negative views of videogames. However, I have not seen the show so maybe it won't be the same. 

It's the TV form of comfort food for parents, they feel justified in thinking video-games are bad for their children and feel like good parents. 

#12 Posted by Navyseils (164 posts) -

I'll probably watch it. Its usually as amusing as it is frustrating to see how little they research these kind of shows. So many half truths and straight up fabrications are given as fact. Only a matter of time till some new thing comes along for people to get their knickers in a twist over and videogames will be left alone.

#13 Posted by Yummylee (22518 posts) -

I just can't wait to see all the tables and graphs they bring up.

#14 Posted by mosdl (3258 posts) -

But isn't watching TV bad for you as well?

#15 Posted by Yummylee (22518 posts) -
@mosdl said:
" But isn't watching TV bad for you as well? "
Only when it's not raising awareness for the greater evils of media.
#16 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

I'm excited! Once it's over I'll post my thoughts here!

#17 Posted by mosdl (3258 posts) -

Eurogamer has seen the doc - link

#18 Posted by zudthespud (3284 posts) -

This isn't totally bullshit, there is obviously a problem some people have with addiction to video games. I think panorama will make it seem disproportionately large though. Whatever, nothing will happen because of it. There is big enough support for Games in the UK that we will not turn into Australia.

#19 Posted by NathHaw (2802 posts) -

Probably not a coincidence the date to air this the BBC chose.

#20 Posted by anterline (73 posts) -

I might watch it. but not expecting much than the usual.

#21 Posted by ErrorOperator (458 posts) -

It is going to feature interviews from the LAN I went to in august, I may get on tv!

#22 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4858 posts) -

lol No.

Anyway, the BBC is worse for you than videogames, Eastenders is fucking shit!

#23 Posted by damswedon (3201 posts) -

From that Eurogamer interview the director brings up an important point. The UKIE barely even cared about the Byron review all that came from that was PEGI started to colour code their ratings and most people still don't take notice to it. 

#24 Posted by guthwulf (252 posts) -
@xMP44x said:
" @Abyssfull said:
That is weird. Bug perhaps? Or it's fate.  "
Definitely fate. Has to be.
#25 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

Well? What's the general concensus. I thought it was a bit overblown but atleast it wasn't straight up propaganda.

#26 Edited by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -

Just watched the program. I thought it was pretty good. They made it quite clear that gaming is ordinarily fine, and that it's a rarity for addictions to arise. More research does need to be done into this area, and that seems to be the overall theme. 

I was disappointed in some of the lack of elaboration. For example, they only briefly brushed over the cultural differences between gaming in South Korea and gaming in the west, which are pretty significant. Having said that though, it's only a half hour program, and I'm sure it didn't make sense spending 5 of those minutes explaining just how huge gaming is in Korea.

Another thing I feel they didn't talk about enough is the importance of responsible parenting when it comes to children. If a parent is fully aware of how much their child is playing video games, what video games they are playing, and they have full control over their childs gaming, an addiction should not arise during childhood.

#27 Posted by SammydesinasNL (840 posts) -

Thought it wasn't too bad. Only a few errors here and there. It would have been nice if they kinda explained what they are though.
#28 Posted by Bollard (5836 posts) -
@Jonny7892: Yeah I appreciate that they did actually talk to people who knew what they were talking about and stated that only a small minority is affected, but that doesn't mean to say that it was still embarrassingly bad and insulting in places.  Did they really need to explain what pong is? And it's not like addiction is a brand new thing. Meh. What can you do.
#29 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

I missed it... was too busy playing games :(

#30 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I want to watch but I don't know how ):

#31 Posted by CaptRoFL (77 posts) -
@Cwaff said:
" I missed it... was too busy playing games :( "
^
#32 Posted by smokemare (254 posts) -

I caught the tail end of it... I was surprised, I expected it to be a load of Hotspur, a steaming pile of Tottenham - but I get what they were trying to say.  At the same time, to me it was over sensationalized.  The fact is people have problems with all sorts of benign aspects of life, dieting, exercise, gambling drinking, watching TV, sex...  

I think the problem is perhaps 'some people' some people smoke cigarettes and stop without a problem, some smoke until they're 97 and are fine, a good few die of lung cancer in their early forties.... Okay - that example, risk vs reward = don't smoke.  With gaming, I tend to think the evidence is that the risk of having a problem is very slim.  I suppose maybe the moral is to try and think about what you're doing rather than just going with it and try to see how things are affecting you. 

Could have been worse - but for me the usual over-sensationalized panaroma format, over-used and getting tired.

#33 Posted by optimusprime223 (399 posts) -

I just finished watching it, and I was ready to be in uproar about it. They had a tendency to focus on the media BS that shows all the really worse scenarios possible, like the couple in Korea that let their daughter starve to death because they spent all their time 10 feet from their house in the PC Bong. I must admit though, they did say that that couple had a higher susceptibility to addiction that most.  

When he talked to those parents and asked when did they notice, it took them ages to even figure out that their kid playing games for 10 hours a day is bad thing. At some point, that is just bad parenting and parents using games as baby sitters. Again though, the program was not as biased as say, that Alan Titchmarsh thing, but still could have been done better. I do appreciate the openly addicted kid at the end saying that Blizzard isn't at fault just because they made an awesome game...

#34 Posted by chrissedoff (2167 posts) -

i think it's a subject that is ripe for discussion in the media, but only if they're going to take it seriously. i don't watch a ton of the bbc, but they aren't usually known for being alarmist, right?

#35 Edited by bruno0091 (49 posts) -

No they're not, the BBC is, generally, regarded as one of the best unbiased media + news sources in the world. It's an issue that needs to be discussed, but I think the thing that annoys most gamers, is that this addiction can be applied to any activity really, often it's merely a glaze for bigger issues, something they do allude too, but don't spend much time on it. 

Ian Livingstone sums it up really : 

"You could say people get addicted to football (soccer for you Americans), or get addicted to TV – they used to say people were addicted to television."     

For those in the UK (or using a proxy server)  http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wlmj0/Panorama_Addicted_to_Games/

#36 Posted by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -
This blog about the program made me laugh. It's so true.
#37 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

My friend emailed me his oppinion:

"Did you watch yesterday's Panorama on computer game "addiction"?  A shocking piece of sloppy, sensationalist, tabloid journalism from an organisation and a program that really should know better.  No attempt to question what "addiction" meant, and whether the cases examined actually qualified (they didn't, the word was bandied about by lazy tossers looking to excuse their own poor behaviour), and no attempt to quantify the size of this so-called 'problem', i.e. millions of people play games every day without losing their job or letting their kids starve to death.

Fucking disgrace."