#1 Edited by blake_brown (117 posts) -

Such a conundrum - I've been an Xbox guy for a while now. Pre-ordered an Xbox One but seeing how badly MS is shaping up in comparison to the PS4 I'm seriously considering jumping ship for the first time. I am something of a graphics whore, the fact that the One can't push 1080p on CALL OF DUTY(!) of all things gives me serious pause. Also, paying nearly $100 more for stupid shit I don't want or need like Kinect and the set-top box interface is dumb.

I don't have a gaming PC and probably never will. Don't have the time, patience, money or know-how to put a decent one together and get it set up on my TV the way I'd want.

The only drawbacks I have about PS4 is, mainly, their controller which I really dislike in comparison to the far more comfortable Xbox asymmetric stick layout. The other big drawback is missing out on Titanfall and whatever the new Halo will be...

What to do - take the graphics hit and stick with the One or make the leap over to the PS4?

I thought I'd take it to the pros here on the Giantbomb boards and get some feedback from anyone in a similar predicament.

#2 Edited by Kidavenger (3528 posts) -

They'll get the performance worked out in time, I don't think making decisions based on early issues (PS4 no games or XB1 performance) makes any sense, get the console that has the games you want to play, for me that's PS4, but if you've been an xbox guy, launch hickups shouldn't sway you on a purchase that is going to stick with you for the next 5+ years.

#3 Posted by ch3burashka (5037 posts) -

First piece of advice - don't start your "relatively new gamer" career in the graphics whore camp. Maybe you'll care that the Cawadoodie isn't 1080p on your 4K TV set... in 8 years. Right now, it doesn't fucking matter. Just look at the games, and then what your friends are getting. Don't get hung on technical shit you'd only notice if you were using a magnifying glass to count the pixels on your screen.

You said you dislike the PS4 controller. Sounds like an open-and-shut case to me.

#4 Posted by BaconAndWaffles (69 posts) -

As far as I am concerned, console decisions come down to:

• Friends
  • Extra features
  • Controller

All of those are purely personal decisions, not much anyone can recommend...

Graphics and price don't factor into the equation much. A $100 difference isn't small, but factored over the life of the console it is pretty trivial - and if the money is that much of a concern to someone then they should be questioning if they should be buying a console at all. As for graphics, each system will have their positives and negatives. And I wouldn't base a decision on launch console performance - that is a bit of a crapshoot.

Good luck with your decision! For me, I choose PC (but I am lucky enough to be able to afford mulitple systems, and I am not buying anything at launch).

#5 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4190 posts) -

"I don't wanna get an XONE. Convince me why I should not get an XONE."

#6 Edited by MB (12207 posts) -

Take all this energy you're putting into the console launch and do some research on how to build a PC for yourself. It's so rewarding and when you're done, you won't believe you went without a gaming PC for so long. Then, become a jaded PC elitist like me who can't stand to look at anything sub-1080p60.

Moderator Online
#7 Edited by BaconAndWaffles (69 posts) -

@mb said:

Take all this energy you're putting into the console launch and do some research on how to build a PC for yourself. It's so rewarding and when you're done, you won't believe you went without a gaming PC for so long. Then, become a jaded PC elitist like me who can't stand to look at anything sub-1080p60.

Shhhh. Did you forget the first rule of PC Club?

#8 Posted by IBurningStar (2161 posts) -

Get a PS4 and build a PC. You no longer have any problems.

#9 Posted by Belegorm (396 posts) -

Have you tried the PS4 controller yourself?

You should probably just go with the X1, you sound nearly certain that you want that console but you're second-guessing yourself.

When it comes down to it both consoles will be incredibly similar in almost every way except price, controller and a few exclusives (I'm expecting X1 to share more games with PC not available on PS4, but PS4 to have more crazy japanese exclusives).

Consoles are practically just stripped-down PC's at this point. I'm a little more interested in the PS4 than the X1 personally (having a PC and a PS3 seemed like the way to go last gen), but they're really both practically the same, possibly slightly more power on PS4, or easier to develop on PS4 (which would explain the resolution differences).

#10 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Get the PS4 because it's 20% cheaper.

#11 Posted by GnaTSoL (792 posts) -

@mb: Gaming pcs are tooo damn expensive just to play some games! And I'm talking about building one that'll stand the test of time for a couple years so you don't have to dump more money to upgrade, but you'll eventually will. People just get entrapped into having current hardware & power after going high-end.

#12 Posted by Veektarius (4750 posts) -

Don't buy a console at launch so you can make an informed decision based on real information and not the speculation of crazed fanboys.

#13 Posted by JayEH (521 posts) -

I have a dualshock 4 and I can safely say that thing is great.

As for worrying about graphics, don't. If you really want the Xbox for its games, get it. Titanfall is coming to 360 too (who knows how that'll turn out though) if you don't want to miss it.

#14 Edited by Aviar (424 posts) -

Keep in mind, you get a console to play games on. If you feel like you are going to miss out on the games you want to play by jumping the Xbox ship, then don't. Stick with the Xbox One. If you don't see games you are stoked about coming to PS4, getting the console would be rather futile. You would probably end up hating Sony for all the wrong reasons.

The consoles are very close in specs and hopefully the developers can fix some of these early console woes that you are hearing about.

I myself am going with the PS4 this time around and will be upgrading the video card in my PC next year for all the REAL eye candy.

Good luck with your decision, it definitely isn't an easy one!

#15 Posted by FlipperDesert (2082 posts) -

If you're not sure, sit and wait. You won't be missing much for the first year of a console's life, and chances are you'll actually be missing a lot of hassle with early models.

#16 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@mb said:

I think he did a good job of shunning the dirty console-playing vermin.

#17 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3195 posts) -

Don't be a whore.

Most importantly, if you play multiplayer games with your friends buy the console they are getting.

Playing 1080p CoD alone < Playing 720 p CoD with peeps

#18 Edited by believer258 (11776 posts) -

Don't have the time, patience, money or know-how to put a decent one together and get it set up on my TV the way I'd want.

If you're not putting the time and energy into being a graphics whore, then you can't honestly call yourself a graphics whore, or else you'd be rocking a Titan and an i7 3970X and having wet dreams about the GTX 800 series cards.

Actually, don't call yourself a graphics whore at all. It's equal parts sad and shallow. If you are buying a console to play video games with your friends, and all your friends are buying an Xbox One, then why not buy an Xbox One? Because it's not quite as powerful? Bollocks. Come up with a better reason than that for shunning your friends.

#19 Edited by hermes (1404 posts) -

The best advise I can give you is to hold your horses. Jumping on the decision at this early stage is sure to bite you later.

Wait until they have ironed out the first months details, or until there is a game you really want to play (or have friends to play it with), then decide on a console. Don't worry about the graphics. For good or bad, these consoles will set the bar for the next couple years, so games will look quite decently either way.

Also, if you are walking the graphics whore path, you are doing it wrong. Besides being a rather poor alignment; if graphics is your focus, PC is the way to go. But beware, the graphics whore path is an expensive path... you have to be ready to expend serious money into it, and keep on expending money on relatively regular basis. PC gaming is a rather expensive hobby.

#20 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Don't preorder things. You'll only encourage them.

#21 Posted by crithon (3111 posts) -

hate to break this to you, but not all the console games are pushing 1080p. The reason why PC gamers make a big deal about this is because it's just raw processing power from multiple chips, ram and cards that's pushing 1080p visual. Your going to have accept that, if you are a graphics whore, then I recommend you read up how all of this is done, and through learning you'd understand what they sacrifice to make the games look good on a console.

#22 Edited by Dalai (7017 posts) -

If you're a graphics whore, build a PC, get yourself a Steam account and watch your bank account dwindle to dust.

#23 Edited by Roger778 (957 posts) -

My advice to you, is don't worry about which gaming system has the best graphics. Just get the one that has the games you want to play. Simple as that.

As for me, when I'm ready to go next gen (which will be in a year or two), I'm going to get an XBOX One, and that's because I've been an XBOX gamer for many years.

#24 Edited by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

Stick with Xbox or get a PC. Buy the system with games that appeal to you. If you've never owned a PlayStation system then it's pretty safe to assume you won't get attached to any of their IP's.

PC is the end game.

#25 Posted by mikey87144 (1719 posts) -

@mb said:

Yea. No one told me that would happen. I've actually cringed at some of my PS3 games now.

#26 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

Don't play Bible Black or Saya no Uta.

#27 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

@mb said:

Yes!

@gnatsol said:

@mb: Gaming pcs are tooo damn expensive just to play some games! And I'm talking about building one that'll stand the test of time for a couple years so you don't have to dump more money to upgrade, but you'll eventually will. People just get entrapped into having current hardware & power after going high-end.

I built mine (i7/GTX 770/SSD) all for ~$1500. That's going to last me several years before having to completely make a new one and it will last 3 years or so before I have to put in a more powerful video card (to keep maxed out settings and 60 frames) that will most likely see me through the rest of the coming generation.

Also people love to forget how much costs ends up getting balanced out when you factor in how much you save from Steam sales and other PC software sales that you can find anywhere else frequently. And you built a PC, which can do a whole lot of other shit because it's a PC.

#28 Posted by Flappy (2191 posts) -

Don't play Bible Black or Saya no Uta.

Gross. Quality advice, but still pretty gross.

#29 Posted by GnaTSoL (792 posts) -

@mb said:

Yes!

@gnatsol said:

I built mine (i7/GTX 770/SSD) all for ~$1500. That's going to last me several years before having to completely make a new one and it will last 3 years or so before I have to put in a more powerful video card (to keep maxed out settings and 60 frames) that will most likely see me through the rest of the coming generation.

Also people love to forget how much costs ends up getting balanced out when you factor in how much you save from Steam sales and other PC software sales that you can find anywhere else frequently. And you built a PC, which can do a whole lot of other shit because it's a PC.

Wow! Just $1500!? Can I get a parts list of how you built your pc? Or what guideline you went with? I'm an outsider looking in and beginner.

I honestly thought it would be in the $2000 area and you would still have to upgrade yearly or so. Cool. :)

#30 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

@gnatsol: Thanks to Nvidia's recent price drop on their cards, you can get that setup even less than what I paid for. You have some wiggle room if you wanted to upgrade the motherboard to a sabertooth one or maybe get a 780 instead of a 770 but I wouldn't recommend getting the highest end card considering that the jump in next generation video cards looks like it will be a large one.