#1 Edited by mrfluke (5271 posts) -

https://twitter.com/aegies/status/348115192028229632

https://twitter.com/aegies/status/348114304031154176

found this from resident troll arthur gies's twitter, gotta hand it to him its pretty good advice.

for those that don't wanna swallow the whole price of whatever console you preordered, you can apparently buy amazon gift cards and use them towards lowering the price of your preorders, that way come oct-nov (ps4 rumored for oct) you wont have much to pay for or you wont have to pay for nothing.

that is all.

#2 Posted by Reisz (1517 posts) -

That's smart. Just as easy to put that money aside in a console fund, but this ensures zero temptation. Thanks for the heads up.

#3 Posted by mrfluke (5271 posts) -

@reisz said:

That's smart. Just as easy to put that money aside in a console fund, but this ensures zero temptation. Thanks for the heads up.

exactly, i wager we're not the only ones that would be tempted to blow their console funds :P.

#4 Posted by Sergio (2161 posts) -

Internet layaway.

#5 Posted by mrfluke (5271 posts) -

@sergio said:

Internet layaway.

kind of :P

#6 Posted by MetalBaofu (1413 posts) -

Had no idea you could do that. I might do that some. Thanks for posting about and to Arthur for tweeting it.

#7 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5441 posts) -

Yeah, I heard about this. Thanks for the reminder!

#8 Posted by Daneian (1245 posts) -

I'm doing this every preorder i place for the rest of my life.

#9 Posted by FlipperDesert (2096 posts) -

I haven't preordered, but that deserves the goddamn Nobel Prize.

#10 Posted by mrfluke (5271 posts) -

I haven't preordered, but that deserves the goddamn Nobel Prize.

lol

#11 Posted by mrfluke (5271 posts) -

@daneian said:

I'm doing this every preorder i place for the rest of my life.

its a genius idea to pay off for a game piece by piece.

#12 Posted by VierasTalo (855 posts) -

So wait, can you retroactively apply gift cards to pre-orders after placing the order or do you just buy the gift cards over a set period of time and then use them before the console launches?

#13 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5806 posts) -

#14 Posted by mrfluke (5271 posts) -

So wait, can you retroactively apply gift cards to pre-orders after placing the order or do you just buy the gift cards over a set period of time and then use them before the console launches?

im guessing both, as in once you have your preorder in you can apply gift cards to it to chip away at it,

a bit of confusing wording

#15 Edited by mrfluke (5271 posts) -

@themanwithnoplan: drag and drop it into where your writing comments and the gif would work.

#16 Posted by Deadmanforking (578 posts) -

Yeah starting doing this the other day. Forgot I had £120 in Amazon Gift cards, so tossed them onto the PS4 pre-order, now only £229. After I get paid next week I'll toss anther £100 on to it.

#17 Posted by Vonocourt (2141 posts) -

Good idea Arthur Gies, for once. Thanks OP for sharing this, otherwise I would have never saw it.

You buy the gift cards now, so Amazon would charge you now. You can then redeem them on the bottom of your order details page. While you can get that credit back if you cancel the pre-order, they'll be locked to that order otherwise so you can't accidentally spend it on a different order.

#18 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

What exactly is he doing?

#19 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2190 posts) -

@chrismafuchris: He's chipping away at his pre-orders with gift cards in the months leading to release.

#20 Posted by kkotd (314 posts) -

This was one of the reasons I couldn't quite understand people saying 'DONT PREORDER YOU IDIOTS!!!!1111!!!'

You can cancel anytime, if you preordered early enough you're going to get it Day 1 and you get the lowest price if you preorder through Amazon. There's literally no risk... Well other than the console malfunctioning day 1, catching fire to your house and giving you lung cancer... But I mean, come on... They've surely worked out all the bugs in this day and age... Wait, what do you mean my PS3 was bricked by a firmware update!?! -throws shit- :P

#21 Posted by sterbacblu (231 posts) -
@kkotd said:

This was one of the reasons I couldn't quite understand people saying 'DONT PREORDER YOU IDIOTS!!!!1111!!!'

You can cancel anytime, if you preordered early enough you're going to get it Day 1 and you get the lowest price if you preorder through Amazon. There's literally no risk... Well other than the console malfunctioning day 1, catching fire to your house and giving you lung cancer... But I mean, come on... They've surely worked out all the bugs in this day and age... Wait, what do you mean my PS3 was bricked by a firmware update!?! -throws shit- :P

Absolutely. Some co-workers were reluctant to pre-order and finally I asked them "you do realize you don't pay for it til it ships, right?" Then they all pre-ordered. As for the gift card thing, paying about $55 a week starting in July through the beginning of November would pay off both my pre-orders. Makes it sound more reasonable. Just a little more reasonable, though...

#22 Edited by mrfluke (5271 posts) -

@kkotd said:

Absolutely. Some co-workers were reluctant to pre-order and finally I asked them "you do realize you don't pay for it til it ships, right?" Then they all pre-ordered. As for the gift card thing, paying about $55 a week starting in July through the beginning of November would pay off both my pre-orders. Makes it sound more reasonable. Just a little more reasonable, though...

i believe gamestop requires a 100 bucks up front though for the console.

yes you can get it back, figured id mention it though.

#23 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

Thanks for the tip.