#1 Posted by scrappypixels (97 posts) -

It was payday yesterday (Woo) so I'm looking to grab a couple of new games (even though I've got enough to complete) and i can't really decide so i thought I'd ask for your duders help!

• Diablo III (PC)
  • Jazzpunk (PC)
  • Mercenary Kings (PC)
  • State of decay (PC/360)
  • FTL (PC)

I'm open to suggestions too so just shout out anything you think is worth the time really

#2 Posted by Vahleticar (147 posts) -

I heard good things about ftl and Diablo not familiar with the others. Or you can wait till steam sales are rolling in and get a tons of games

#3 Edited by scrappypixels (97 posts) -

I'm just looking for something to fill the spaces in the next few weekends and/or after work really!

The FTL update seems really interesting but I'm worried I'd tire of it too quickly

#4 Posted by Xeiphyer (5606 posts) -

Only one I can't speak for is State of decay.

FTL is pretty great, but its ultimately a short experience, same could be said for Jazzpunk. Plus you better make sure that that's your type of humour or you're going to feel cheated.

Mercenary Kings is only good if you have friends to play it with, its less fun in single player. Also it gets pretty grindy later on if that's not your thing. Also its free on PS4 if you have one.

Diabler III is a good game if you enjoy that kind of thing, kinda the same deal in my opinion as Merc Kings: way more fun with friends. Also its way more expensive than the rest of these games and even more so if you want the expansion to play with everyone who is actually playing D3 right now. You should also check out Path of Exile if you haven't already, its free to play and not shit. I prefer it to Diablo 3 these days.

#5 Posted by scrappypixels (97 posts) -

I watched about 5 minutes of the Jazzpunk quick look and couldn't stop laughing to be honest!

I was playing some Path of Exile with a couple of friends but i fell behind on leveling due to not play it so often and grinding solo put me off it to be honest.

You have any suggestions at all for any other games?

#6 Posted by Vahleticar (147 posts) -

You have any suggestions at all for any other games?

Only if there was a website where you could see all the hottest games. What genres do you like and maybe i have some suggestions

#7 Posted by Blomakrans (149 posts) -

I don't know which games you've played but if I were in your position I'd look at GoTY from the last 2 or 3 years. You'll most likely find some good stuff there.

#8 Posted by csl316 (9038 posts) -

Out of those, definitely Diablo III.

#9 Posted by scrappypixels (97 posts) -

@vahleticar: I'm pretty easy going with genres, everything from sports games to rpg.

Just nothing on rails.....

#10 Posted by Vahleticar (147 posts) -

Try rollercoaster simul... oh right. Have you played Witcher 2, a great deep rpg from my home country, and can still melt video cards to this day.

#11 Edited by Lanechanger (546 posts) -

Not sure about state of decay but I'd get Diablo 3! It's back in the limelight and is as hot as Hansel right now!

#12 Posted by scrappypixels (97 posts) -

@vahleticar: I've played Witcher 2, i do need to finish it to be honest!

Diablo 3 seems to be winning but is playing it single player as exciting?

#13 Posted by Vahleticar (147 posts) -

@vahleticar: I've played Witcher 2, i do need to finish it to be honest!

Diablo 3 seems to be winning but is playing it single player as exciting?

Then you make it exciting! Get a stripper and a mountain of coke

#14 Edited by lead_dispencer (46 posts) -

Go watch some quick looks of those games and see what interests you most. I Love FTL even though that game makes me feel like brad and i suck at it 11 times out of 10. But Im going to throw you a curve ball. Go to gog.com and get some older games you may not have played in a long time.

#15 Posted by expensiveham (293 posts) -

I would get Diablo 3 and Jazzpunk.

#16 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

State of Decay is a really fun game mechanically, but the main game got a little stale on me because of how the questlines lay themselves out. However, the new Breakdown DLC is an absolute blast. It's basically an open-world survival challenge mode. If you like zombie killing and open-world games, it's a pretty good one to choose.

#17 Posted by scrappypixels (97 posts) -

@example1013: I did hear that the story goes a bit stale, that's what put me off it really but I do enjoy zombie video games a lot.

Diablo 3 seems like an ideal purchase, i just wish it wasn't so expensive. Be nice if it were in a bundle with the expansion or such

#18 Posted by Slag (4637 posts) -

FTL and D3 are probably the strongest choices. Although if it were me I'd get Jazzpunk.

#19 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

@scrappypixels: Like I said, the Breakdown DLC was just released. Takes away all the mediocre story and just leaves the fun base game.

#20 Posted by leafhouse (133 posts) -

Dark Souls 2 is pretty alright (it's actually weird that a lot of people wouldn't agree with that statement)

#21 Posted by expensiveham (293 posts) -

@scrappypixels said:

@example1013: I did hear that the story goes a bit stale, that's what put me off it really but I do enjoy zombie video games a lot.

Diablo 3 seems like an ideal purchase, i just wish it wasn't so expensive. Be nice if it were in a bundle with the expansion or such

You can get both the base game and the expansion for a total of 69$ on Kinguin. Blizzard generally is pretty good about keeping their prices up long after release, will be a while until you can find it cheaper.

#22 Posted by Hone_McBone (175 posts) -

FTL for sure. I couldn't get into D3, bought it on release with a friend & neither of us played it for more than a few hours. Out of the list you've suggested I'd try out Mercenary Kings.

#23 Posted by scrappypixels (97 posts) -

Cheers for all the advice and such guys! I think I'm going to grab Jazzpunk today and then jump on either Diablo III or Mercenary kings (if i can talk my friends into getting it also, co-op!)

#24 Edited by crusader8463 (14425 posts) -

FTL is the only thing up there I like so my vote is for that. If nothing else get your hands on the OST for FTL. It's the best music ever. I often play it instead of a games own music and it works well in many a game.

#25 Posted by scrappypixels (97 posts) -

@crusader8463: I've heard that the new update has changed it up a lot too? You had chance to play it at all?

#26 Posted by crusader8463 (14425 posts) -

@crusader8463: I've heard that the new update has changed it up a lot too? You had chance to play it at all?

Ya I was just playing it a few hours ago actually. There's a lot of new weapons, a new race of alien, a lot of new events to see, and several new ship systems like cloning and hacking. There's also some little UI stuff that just adds to the game feeling much more refined and easier to use. Like more detailed tool tips, and -my personal favourite- being able to save who is at what station and being able to get them to run back into place instantly.

#27 Edited by ectoplasma (981 posts) -

Since I don't know what you've played I give you my favorite games of the last couple years: Bayonetta, Hotline Miami, The Banner Saga. Each of those, in my opinion, is exceptional. Go grab Hotline Miami right now if you haven't played it.

All your proposed buys are good games. FTL is might tire you out quick but it takes quite a while to even master basic combat and if you're going for unlocks you can sink TONS of hours in it. I think I played for 12 hours getting bored and then i picked it up later again and put another 12 hours or so into it.

#28 Posted by dudeglove (8037 posts) -

Stanley Parable is better than Jazzpunk to be honest.

#29 Posted by scrappypixels (97 posts) -

@ectoplasma: Hotline Miami has been a game that's slipped my mind so much! That's up for purchase for sure.