After playing Bayonetta, God of War III and Dante's Inferno Demo

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By nohthink

So I'm a huge fan of third person brawler. I like all 4 of Devil May Cry(even though 4th one was disliked by many), have both God of War but bought God of War Collection just because, and even played Golden Axe: Beast Rider just because(and yes it is a horrible game). 

So when I saw the trailers for Bayonetta, God of War III and Dante's Inferno, I got really excited(and I got really sad when they announced they were gonna postpone the release of Bayonetta). But lately, I was lucky enough to try all three of the demos and I have decided to give you guys my honest impression of the games because I'm bored and I don't wanna go to class.

Bayonetta 
You know what? it's wrong but she's sexy. And it feels really good to see her hairs turning into a giant hair monster and just devours a huge enemy. It is very ridiculous(the fact she sends her kiss to open the gate and she has to pose in a most random moments in the game) but let's be honest, Devil May Cry was pretty ridiculous too. Her torture kills are kinda cool too. You just know that the developers decided to go all crazy and not be serious about it. Iron Maiden appearing from no where and she pushes her enemies to it and what not. It's ridiculous but lots of complicated button combination. You can button mash it but I think it is more enjoyable if you try to combo everything and when that giant fist or foot appears from thin air and punches, kicks or stomps the enemies, it feels damn good. I really did not like that old film cut scene that is not really a cut scene because characters are not moving type of cut scene. Really stylish game, looking forward to it, can't wait to play this game.

God of War III 
It is God of War. Nothing less, nothing more. But you know what? That's cool too cause Kratos is already fricking awesome. Now, that might not be a good argument but I just finished God of War Collection and I realized that this formula had not gone old yet for me. Some might have gotten tired of it but it still worked for me. And the new weapons(that giant iron fist thingy) were awesome. The sound of the game is also top notch. When Kratos uses that iron fist thingy, it sounds like you're beating crap of the enemies. It feels great. But his Blades of Chaos combos are still the same but better graphic. It is the mascot of God of War and there are cool weapons, don't get me wrong. But after 2 games, you know just what button sequences you need to do and what it's gonna look like. And I am not digging the new quick time event in God of War III purely because the developers decided to position the button icons to the ends of the screens. I like them better when they were centered so that I don't have to move my head and look for the button. Overall, it's a God of War game and Kratos is angrier than he ever was so it was cool. 

Dante's Inferno 
Let's get one thing straight:  if a God of War players plays this game, he's gonna think(no matter how hard they try to ignore) that it feels a lot like God of War. You have the quick time events that's gonna allow you to do perform cool but brutal killings on enemies, there is gonna be a random ship that's gonna run into you and create a path when there isn't,  camera is fixed, etc etc. It just feels a lot like God of War. But what makes it up for it is the art style and let me tell you, it is a damn beautiful looking game(and ugly... in a good way). It is the smoothest running game compare to God of War III and Bayonetta(I played all three demos on PS3). Story is ridiculous but it is only a demo so we'll see where it's gonna go. Dante knows how to fight. In the demo, there is one magic(I believe it was called the Righteous Path). It is a cool magic and I am looking forward to see more and the Cross looks pretty good too. The game just looks really really cool. Some of the cut scenes are anime so that kind of made me disengaged but whatever, it has some styles. Overall, it has lots of good qualities and I am looking forward to see more about this game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Only tryed the GoW3+Bayonetta demo. Dante's isn't available on the EUR PS-store yet =/. 

And yeah they've got me plenty excited for early 2010, not like i wasnt hyped enough with Mass effect 2, dead rising 2 annnd, to some extent, Darksiders. 
GoW3.....well I can already envision it being one of the ps3's best for 2010. Its God of War for the ps3, and thats all i wanted. 

Bayonetta i admire for its very tongue in cheek style, almost parodying overly-insane fighting anime n such. The gameplay too is really solid and with a surprising amount of depth to it. The character Bayonetta though is just a lil too ridiculous for me.
XxBarretxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By XxBarretxX

Haven't played Dantes Inferno but I did Play GoW3 and I'm in love with it.  

But I  played Bayonetta the demo, games seems like a 7. I laughed at the terrible edge review 

They said this game beats GoW, Ninja Gaiden, & DMC and made GoW look like a button masher. I couldn't help at that, the difference between Bayonetta gameplay and all of those games is that those other games require actual skills and thinking, they're hard games were you will die! In the Bayonetta demo I kind of just hit some buttons and watched her strip her clothes off and destroy everyone. Countering is way to easy and lets you enter witch mode, which makes the battles even easier. From that the combat just seems like the most user friendly basic, unchallenging combat system since Gungrave on PS2. 

Also the story just seems some tagged on pointless story nothing that will draw you in.    

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Slippy

You played Bayonetta on PS3. 

LAWL. Play it on 360 and its graphics will blow you away.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Whisperkill

I think Bayonetta will have the deepest combat out of all. Kamiya is the one who invented the genre after all

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#6  Edited By dudacles
@XxBarretxX said:
" Haven't played Dantes Inferno but I did Play GoW3 and I'm in love with it.   But I  played Bayonetta the demo, games seems like a 7. I laughed at the terrible edge review They said this game beats GoW, Ninja Gaiden, & DMC and made GoW look like a button masher. I couldn't help at that, the difference between Bayonetta gameplay and all of those games is that those other games require actual skills and thinking, they're hard games were you will die! In the Bayonetta demo I kind of just hit some buttons and watched her strip her clothes off and destroy everyone. Countering is way to easy and lets you enter witch mode, which makes the battles even easier. From that the combat just seems like the most user friendly basic, unchallenging combat system since Gungrave on PS2. Also the story just seems some tagged on pointless story nothing that will draw you in.     "
Do not be so quick to pass judgement on Bayonetta. Not until you've played through the retail game, at least. From what I've heard, it's actually quite a deep and rich action game that can compete with Devil May Cry 3 and 4 in terms of depth (in regards to combat, at least.)
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael
@XxBarretxX said:
"I laughed at the terrible edge review They said this game beats GoW, Ninja Gaiden, & DMC and made GoW look like a button masher. I couldn't help at that, the difference between Bayonetta gameplay and all of those games is that those other games require actual skills and thinking, they're hard games were you will die! In the Bayonetta demo I kind of just hit some buttons and watched her strip her clothes off and destroy everyone. Countering is way to easy and lets you enter witch mode, which makes the battles even easier. From that the combat just seems like the most user friendly basic, unchallenging combat system since Gungrave on PS2."
The angels you  fight in the Bayonetta demo are the weakest, most basic enemies in the entire game. Kinda like the basic cannon-fodder soldiers in God of War. Everyone who has played the full game(like, oh I don't know, EDGE, Eurogamer and Famitsu, all of which gave the game fantastic scores) has said that it's challenging, and button mashing will get you killed.

The most basic combat you've ever seen? God of War's combat consists of "press square, block, press square some more, go through mundane QTE" repeated over and over again. That is basic. When you get a hang of the moves in Bayonetta and start chaining combos, God of War look like Dynasty Warriors in comparison.
AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

bayonetta seems like 77-85 frame per second. dante's inferno seems like 59-61 frame per second.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Nasar7
@Icemael said:
" @XxBarretxX said:
"I laughed at the terrible edge review They said this game beats GoW, Ninja Gaiden, & DMC and made GoW look like a button masher. I couldn't help at that, the difference between Bayonetta gameplay and all of those games is that those other games require actual skills and thinking, they're hard games were you will die! In the Bayonetta demo I kind of just hit some buttons and watched her strip her clothes off and destroy everyone. Countering is way to easy and lets you enter witch mode, which makes the battles even easier. From that the combat just seems like the most user friendly basic, unchallenging combat system since Gungrave on PS2."
The angels you  fight in the Bayonetta demo are the weakest, most basic enemies in the entire game. Kinda like the basic cannon-fodder soldiers in God of War. Everyone who has played the full game(like, oh I don't know, EDGE, Eurogamer and Famitsu, all of which gave the game fantastic scores) has said that it's challenging, and button mashing will get you killed.

The most basic combat you've ever seen? God of War's combat consists of "press square, block, press square some more, go through mundane QTE" repeated over and over again. That is basic. When you get a hang of the moves in Bayonetta and start chaining combos, God of War look like Dynasty Warriors in comparison. "
Even though the demo for Bayonetta only hinted at this depth, I agree it was there and its definitely the one I'm most excited for. I mean GoW III will of course be great, but nothing is fresh like a new IP.
kenjisalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By kenjisalk

I'll speak as someone quite contrary to most in this thread.  I've never been a big fan of the genre that these games exist in (only completed Devil May Cry 1, never finished 2 and 3, and never finished a God of War). 

My main hurdles with Bayonetta are presentation issues, not only is it insane with the sexual content, the silly christian religious "commentary", and the overall silliness of it are turn offs big time, but the real nail in the coffin for me was how hard it is to see what you're doing during a fight.  It just becomes so cluttered and crazy, I had my fill from that demo. 

*will edit post later with GoW III and Dante*

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wickedsc3

The only one i have played is the Bayonetta demo, and i actully really liked it.  Granted the whole hair suit getting a lil naked during attacks and gun shoes are weird but i somehow liked it. 
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By flaminghobo

I didn't like the Bayonetta demo as it felt pretty weak in almost every respect, though the level of ridiculousness in the game is pretty awesome.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By Cube

Bayonetta demo was good, Dante's Inferno demo was alright. Haven't played the GoWIII demo but I know I'll love it more than both Bayonetta and DI.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ThomasP
@Slippy said:
" You played Bayonetta on PS3.  LAWL. Play it on 360 and its graphics will blow you away. "
What's the difference?
Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Slippy
@ThomasP said:
" @Slippy said:
" You played Bayonetta on PS3.  LAWL. Play it on 360 and its graphics will blow you away. "
What's the difference? "

The average framerate on PS3 is about 30 - it's more like the 60fps it was intended to be on Xbox. Plus better textures, anti-aliasing, lighting... better everything.
dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dudacles
@ThomasP: Supposedly, the PS3 version's visuals are very washed out and blurry when compared to the XBOX version. The PS3 version also suffers from some pretty serious slow-down issues, particularly in the Falling Clocktower segment, which was omitted in the PS3 demo for this reason. 

I have not seen any of this with my own eyes though, so I'll wait until I play the game when it comes out to pass judgement.
Proplytiri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Proplytiri
@Slippy: Oh wow, you're actually not kidding.  I thought you were just starting some shit.
Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Slippy
ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ThomasP
@Slippy said:
" @ThomasP said:
" @Slippy said:
What's the difference? "
The average framerate on PS3 is about 30 - it's more like the 60fps it was intended to be on Xbox. Plus better textures, anti-aliasing, lighting... better everything. "
@dudacles said:
" @ThomasP: Supposedly, the PS3 version's visuals are very washed out and blurry when compared to the XBOX version. The PS3 version also suffers from some pretty serious slow-down issues, particularly in the Falling Clocktower segment, which was omitted in the PS3 demo for this reason.   I have not seen any of this with my own eyes though, so I'll wait until I play the game when it comes out to pass judgement. "
I imagine they will fix these issues if they are in fact, real issues. I can't see there being that big of difference when the games ship to stores.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FunExplosions
@AnnouncerGXZ said:
" bayonetta seems like 77-85 frame per second. dante's inferno seems like 59-61 frame per second. "
You realize there's no way for any game to seem like anything above 60 FPS, right?
ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ThomasP
@FunExplosions said:

" @AnnouncerGXZ said:

" bayonetta seems like 77-85 frame per second. dante's inferno seems like 59-61 frame per second. "
You realize there's no way for any game to seem like anything above 60 FPS, right? "
You've obviously never played F-Zero on the SNES. = )
niall077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By niall077

Im sure Bayonetta is a nice game and all but that character makes me feel embarrassed to be a gamer the same way Dead or Alive did.    

god of war 3  is bsaically god of war HD. more awesome graphics,  more bad guys on screen and more ways to kill them,  but it feels like god of war 2.   (which is kinda awesome,  think the jump from halo 2 to halo 3,  there is nothing really new but whats there has been made better)

Inferno is like if god of war was made by a less talented developer

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By evanbrau
@kenjisalk said:

" My main hurdles with Bayonetta are presentation issues, not only is it insane with the sexual content, the silly christian religious "commentary", and the overall silliness of it are turn offs big time, but the real nail in the coffin for me was how hard it is to see what you're doing during a fight.  It just becomes so cluttered and crazy, I had my fill from that demo.  "

Agreed, I tried to love it but its taken absolutely everything I hated from Devil May Cry and just made it worse. That stupid fucking story and ott stuff. I'm certain there are people who love that kind of shit but its just not for me.

God of War 3 is GoW  but for the PS3 thats all you need, absolutely fantastic.

Haven't played Dantes but if everything I've heard is any indication it'll be too overloaded with Xtreme bullshit for me to give a fuck about it.
dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dudacles
@ThomasP: For all the PS3 users out there, I hope so. However, the Japanese version of the game does have these issues, and they're pretty major, from what I hear.
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hot_Karl

Played only the Bayonetta (360) and Dante's Inferno (PS3) demos.

Bayonetta blew me away. That game, while derivative, is ridiculously fun to play. It feels like DMC but not as clunky at times. During fights, the screen gets way too busy, to the point where you might not be able to see what your doing. But when you see your character shoot unlimited ammo OUT OF HER HIGH HEELS WHILE DOING A HANDSTAND, it's all good.

Dante's Inferno is literally God of War. Literally. In every single way that you can imagine- dial-a-combo action, right stick to evade, fixed camera angles, quicktime events. Not to say that it wasn't a bad game, but it absolutely feels like I've played it before. It's jarring how it seems to take absolutely no risks with the formula. Plus, unlike God of War, which is over-the-top but somewhat reverent to the tall tales of Greek mythology, Inferno is neither reverent to the source material nor does it really seem like its having fun with the premise, which is disappointing. I can't see myself not caring for the story in this game, unlike in GOW.

I don't need a demo to know that God of War III will be awesome, but I'll get a taste of it, hopefully.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@kenjisalk said:

" It just becomes so cluttered and crazy "

This was my main problem with Bayonetta (the demo).  I could barely see what I was doing when there were a lot of enemies on the screen and sometimes I dodged and entered Witch Time when I didn't even know an enemy was attacking me.  It doesn't help that I have an SD TV.
AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

people over-react to ps3 version.  

i say subaru is rusty.. would people freak out as well? when they havent seen it? in live?

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By thecleric

Bayonetta was the only one that felt like something different 

With the other 2 I felt like 'been there, done that'

kenjisalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kenjisalk
@FluxWaveZ said:

" @kenjisalk said:

" It just becomes so cluttered and crazy "

This was my main problem with Bayonetta (the demo).  I could barely see what I was doing when there were a lot of enemies on the screen and sometimes I dodged and entered Witch Time when I didn't even know an enemy was attacking me.  It doesn't help that I have an SD TV. "
 I don't think it would really matter, I had the same issue on my HDTV.

----

On the topic of God of War:  I intend to go replay the first two games when I get the collection on PS3, but my main issues with the original games is that, it seems like once they set up the tragic beginnings of Kratos, that's pretty much the end of the character being relatable or growing in any way.  The plot just seems like an excuse for him to be this angry vessel of rage so he can tear-ass through Greek Mythology cutting a bloody swath through every character in the book.  While it does grant an excuse to be crazy and over-the-top, it does little to really reel in players with any kind of emotionality.  

I came away from my playtime with GoW I and II not really caring about Kratos and his journey, because he just became this cliche grimacy revenge fueled anti-hero straight out of 90s comic books, and that makes for very mediocre storytelling.  Granted the visuals in the games are fun, but the combat seemed to lack the kind of growth that could have kept me playing for long periods, so that aspect was out the window too.

------

My initial reaction to the concept of Dante's Inferno was extremely skepticism.  I was neither a fan of the GoW/DMC formula, and I was taken aback by the bizarre concept of reimagining the source material in such a way.  From the little time I spent with Dante's Inferno (via demo), though, I was shocked that I enjoyed it as much as I did.  The first thing I was surprised by was how the narrative seems to handle the sheer grimness of the setting without being self-aware or too "omg look how hardcore hell is" kinda tone.  The tone of the game is surprisingly mature for what it is, and the cutscenes that have dialog in them seems to be handled with the same level of non-irony and class.  I appreciate a game in this genre trying to take itself seriously, because the bulk of them seem to go the "lolz isn't this CRAZY" route, which I'm tired of.

Also the fact that it doesn't seem to be pulling any punches in terms of just how incredibly dark and screwed up hell is.  It's nightmarish and bleak, and captures the down the rabbit hole sense of the original poem, without coming across as trying too hard to be grim.  

I also appreciate the fact that the story is an emotional one, and Dante is an incredibly vulnerable character.  His story is a heartfelt journey, and he seems to wear his heart on his sleeve.  I'm glad we have a game in this category where you don't play as a grimacy tough guy or a fan-service bait (be it Dante from DMC or Bayonetta). The one thing that kind of bugged me was the explanation of how he got the scyth, and the lack of acknowledgment of him carrying that goofy thing home during the opening cutscene, but I just tried to roll with it.

To touch upon the gameplay, it definitely has its influences from other games, but I get the sense that it does, much in the same way Dead Space did with its influences, streamline those elements to produce a very polished game.  The controls in DI are tight, the combat system flows well, but not to the point where you feel like you lose control of the avatar, the combo system seems pretty diverse, the moral choice skill tree seems pretty accessible, and specials seem effective but they don't seem to leave you vulnerable for so long that they won't be an option when sh*t heats up.

Overall, I was very impressed with my time spent with the game, and I went in expecting utter trash.  We'll see how the final product will turn out, but Visceral Games, if their track record holds up, puts together a fine game, and this one is one I'm very much looking forward to (which will be a first in quite some time in the genre).
Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Griddler

I gotta say, the Dante's Inferno demo was more fun than GOW3. Maybe just because I'd already watched the demo at E3.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#31  Edited By Icemael
@kenjisalk said:
"My main hurdles with Bayonetta are presentation issues, not only is it insane with the sexual content, the silly christian religious "commentary", and the overall silliness of it are turn offs big time, but the real nail in the coffin for me was how hard it is to see what you're doing during a fight.  It just becomes so cluttered and crazy, I had my fill from that demo."
Are you specifically talking about the clock tower sequence? Because if you are, you should know that that's the only part in the game that's like that(or at least that's what importers have said). If you had problems seeing what was going on during the Plaza part, however, Bayonetta probably isn't for you.
kenjisalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kenjisalk

All I have to go off of is the demo, so if that ends up being true, then that's their fault either way, because it does little to entice me to go buy the finished product.

I didn't really have high hopes for the game for myself, and the demo just sorta solidified that.  I tried to enjoy it going in, though.

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Chyro

I'll probably get Dante's Inferno and God of War 3.  

I'm not really into the ridiculous kind of stuff that Bayonetta does.  Yeah it's crazy and cool.  But I just can't get into the "haha this game is a big joke" ala Devil May Cry.   I always enjoyed the serious Onimusha over Devil May Cry.