#1 Posted by Vitor (2812 posts) -

Anyone else have this? Before, I'd go to the threads that were highlighted on the front page and then get lost in the forums from there. Now, as I can't see the latest discussions quickly, I just don't bother to dig down and post anywhere near as much as I used to.

Is this something that Dave and people have mentioned as being an upcoming feature or am I the only one?

#2 Posted by TechHits (1372 posts) -

I believe they mentioned it wasn't a top priority, if that counts...

#3 Posted by Patman99 (1559 posts) -

I agree. Being able to scroll down and see some of the new/popular threads was a nice convenience. Maybe we are in the minority but I really liked that feature.

#4 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4162 posts) -

You know., I just don't remember how the old way was.. So., I don't care. I like this one!

#5 Posted by Vitor (2812 posts) -

@techhits said:

Nice to know it's been brought up though.

But yeah, if I go to the specific forums for new releases (Crysis 3 was a recent one), it's just not as 'packed' with discussion as it used to be. Every big new release would be guaranteed a bunch of threads discussing it but, if I try to check things out now, it seems far more quiet. At least, it has for all the title's I've bothered to check sporadically over the past few weeks.

I just don't see myself ever really using the forums much again if they stay hidden like this which is sad. GB is the only forum community I've every really gotten behind but the minor inconvenience of no longer being reminded of its existence every time I visit the home page means I just forget to come here anymore.

#6 Edited by Pr1mus (3824 posts) -

There's been about 5 threads about this already. They know.

#7 Posted by DizzyMedal (399 posts) -

@vitor said:

@techhits said:

Nice to know it's been brought up though.

But yeah, if I go to the specific forums for new releases (Crysis 3 was a recent one), it's just not as 'packed' with discussion as it used to be. Every big new release would be guaranteed a bunch of threads discussing it but, if I try to check things out now, it seems far more quiet. At least, it has for all the title's I've bothered to check sporadically over the past few weeks.

I just don't see myself ever really using the forums much again if they stay hidden like this which is sad. GB is the only forum community I've every really gotten behind but the minor inconvenience of no longer being reminded of its existence every time I visit the home page means I just forget to come here anymore.

The homepage (actually, pretty much every page) has a button to go right to the forums, does it really need any more than that? If you don't want to leave the homepage just yet, you could always just open them in another tab then switch to it when you've finished doing whatever it is you do on the homepage.

#8 Edited by Vitor (2812 posts) -
@dizzymedal said:

The homepage (actually, pretty much every page) has a button to go right to the forums, does it really need any more than that? If you don't want to leave the homepage just yet, you could always just open them in another tab then switch to it when you've finished doing whatever it is you do on the homepage.

It's really not the same though.

Imagine if they hid every quicklook on a different page, and you had to click the 'quicklook' tab to get there. Traffic would be diminished. Same goes for news and reviews.

I don't think the forums are as integral a part of GB as the staff produced content but it's the same philosophy. Exposure just helps.

Honestly, the GB forums aren't a huge priority for me but it was always nice to just come across an interesting thread and talk to people there. I just don't come across those threads anymore because I'm never going to bother clicking on the forum tab.

Is it lazy? Maybe. But I have over 2,500 posts as a result of this. Without that convenience, I'll just drift over to NeoGaf and other places that cater specifically to forum usage as their main function and I can see others doing the same.

#9 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

They are working on it. Personally, I am fine without it since I click on the forums button at the top of the page.

#10 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3022 posts) -

It's the opposite. I just changed my bookmark to go to the forums and ignore the front page entirely, which I honestly think is much better. (The front page is kinda awful)

#11 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

Yep, this is my first post on GB for a long while.

#12 Edited by Winternet (8007 posts) -

And the "5 threads about the front page forum activity" daily quota is almost complete for the day.

#13 Posted by probablytuna (3547 posts) -

I've kinda gotten used to clicking on the Forums tab at the top now.....

#14 Posted by iAmJohn (6110 posts) -

I pretty much only comment on stories and videos now because of it. I'd much rather have the top forums thing back than all the community content stuff on the bottom of the home page.

#15 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3746 posts) -

I want this back, but I'd rather have them reinstitute some of the "Followed Users" stuff first. Which is another one of those things that is commented on constantly these days.

#16 Edited by Willza92 (259 posts) -

I'm in the same boat as OP but whatever, I just click on the forum button at the top and scroll through the first page. A little less convenient but it ain't gonna kill anyone.