#1 Edited by spartica (73 posts) -

Looking for a good game to help unwind after work when my brain is fried. Preferably when things blow up a healthy amount with some action. Single player and multi are both important to me and if it's really re-playable that's great. Something that has player progression in multiplayer is also a plus.

Oh, for either PC or PS3. Please do not suggest BF4 or COD. I'm looking for something less expensive.

#2 Posted by weegieanawrench (1939 posts) -

BF3 is relatively cheap at this point, but hey, do you like dinosaurs? How about guns? Then brother, take a look at Primal Carnage. It's about 15 bones, and is super straightforward as shooters go. Kill dinosaurs, or kill dudes as dinosaurs. The last time I played there was no progression, but there's a decent amount of maps and a few different modes to keep things fresh. I'm not sure what the player base is like at this point, but during the summer there were always a few full matches.

#3 Posted by Humanity (9216 posts) -

@spartica: if you like shooters then check out Bulletstorm. On PC the game looks stunning and is just plain fun. There is no competitive multiplayer but you can play challenge levels and honestly the game should cost you like $5 now.

#4 Edited by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

Skyrim. Blow up dragons 'n' shit.

That game doesn't need MP.

#5 Edited by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

Metal slug games on PSN are pretty cheap,i'd say it has a healthy amount of action in it.

#6 Posted by achoyq (116 posts) -

I'd suggest some Borderlands 2.

#7 Posted by Zelyre (1193 posts) -

Torchlight II

Chivalry.

#8 Posted by fox01313 (5072 posts) -

Just Cause2, Killing Floor, Serious Sam HD 1&2.

#9 Edited by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

@achoyq said:

I'd suggest some Borderlands 2.

This. This is a perfect game to kick back on and just relax.

#10 Posted by Nodima (1202 posts) -

Grand Theft Auto V with Super Jump, Explosive Bullets and Invincibility. Moon Gravity optional.

#11 Posted by Royce_McCutcheon (207 posts) -

Red Faction: Guerilla

#12 Edited by brainwins (252 posts) -
#13 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

@zelyre said:

Torchlight II

That or I would also recommend Path of Exile. Which is a Diabloesque game, but free on steam.

#14 Posted by Voxus (336 posts) -

FTL is a good game to take your mind off your real work.

#15 Posted by JaredA (824 posts) -

Guild Wars 2

#16 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6189 posts) -

Zombie Driver and Worms are great "blow off some steam" Steam games. I'm also fond of Space Rangers 2 as a way to relax. It's not as big-and-blow-uppy as some of the other games listed, but it's got kind of a Zen arcadeness to it that I love.

#17 Posted by Flacracker (1675 posts) -

If you are fucking tired and don't want to think too much then you need a turn based JRPG. Just press x button and move the stick around to select attacks.

#18 Posted by BaneFireLord (2935 posts) -

Just Cause 2 has always been my go-to braindead unwind game.

#19 Posted by audioBusting (1535 posts) -

Try Warframe. It's pretty much exactly what you say you want.

#20 Edited by minivan (185 posts) -

/

#21 Edited by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Realm of the Mad God is pretty good.

#22 Posted by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

I second TF2, one of the best multiplayer FPSes of all time and no cost

#23 Posted by Ben_H (3354 posts) -

Eurotruck Simulator 2. Nothing is more exhilarating than shifting into 10th going 55 MPH haulin' ass to Grimsby with a load of apples.

#24 Posted by crithon (3192 posts) -

Team Fortress 2

#25 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4207 posts) -

Geometry Wars 2

#26 Posted by Knochenkotzer (17 posts) -

Dark Souls. I have never played a game so many times that I could play it half asleep and still keep enjoying it that much.

#27 Posted by McLargepants (380 posts) -

Binding of Isaac. Super cheap, super fun, endlessly replayable and it is very much a "do" game as opposed to a "thinking" game, which is the key for me for after a long day playing.

#28 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I get off at 7 am and usually troll the forums. Oh wait, I mean check out the forums on Giant Bomb. Mostly, I do internet shit, unless I'm really into a game. My mood changes though. That free game I got last month from Microsoft for being a gold member, Might & Magic: Clash of the Heroes, has been very addictive though.

#29 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Honestly, I feel like any multiplayer game would do if you just want a quick session that will help you relax. Otherwise, I'd recommend something with an immersive narrative; Last of Us, GTA, Mass Effect, etc.

#30 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1435 posts) -

Probably Saints Row IV. The game is relatively easy, but that doesn't retract from the enjoyment of creating incredible amounts of chaos.

#31 Posted by Kr7stof (74 posts) -

I second Path Of Exile. Just slaying some monsters is great for some good fun after work.

#32 Edited by Pie (7098 posts) -

I would say Bad Company 2. I know people still play it on PC atleast.

One of the best multiplayer shooters of this generation

#33 Posted by CynicalBuzzard (240 posts) -

Right now I have been playing WWE 2K14 to blow off some steam after work.