After years of playing with inverted controls, suddenly I don't

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By ztiworoh

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

For years, I played every game with inverted controls. It just felt right and I couldn't play with normal controls. Then, all of the sudden, a couple weeks back I turned on a game and it just felt wrong. And sure enough, every game I've played since I have to play with normal controls. It's like a switch flipped in my brain and I can't figure out why.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By laserbolts

You became a better person. There is nothing more to it than that. Be proud.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By NegativeCero

Your brain has decided to join the superior control option. But that does seem weird.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By yoshimitz707

I used to play inverted as well. But my switch came from just playing normal until it felt normal.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By bacongames

Odd, I didn't think someone could just change like that. The brain is a fickle beast sometimes, in large part dictating what seems "normal" when it comes to human interface. I find non-inverted controls to be the devil's horseshit and make no sense to my brain but I would have a hard time adjusting because I like being in the inverted controls camp. The "regular" way just seems boring.

VilgeDuin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By VilgeDuin

A few years ago this happened to me. Every game I played I had to switch to inverted instantly, it just felt right, and "normal" felt so wrong. Then one day, I can't even remember what game, i played with normal controls. I didn't notice actually and just kept playing with normal controls from then on until my wife pointed out one day that I didn't switch anymore when I handed the controller to her to try something out (she being of the always normal camp). I've even tried inverted since and my brain doesn't make sense of it anymore.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By BisonHero

Did you have a stroke, or some kind of peyote-induced spirit journey?

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By impartialgecko

Welcome to the real world.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShaggE

I had the opposite happen for a few months. Really weird.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sinusoidal

Same here. Right around 2009 I think. Started playing something, changed the controls to inverted like always and kept spinning in circles staring at the floor/ceiling. Flipped to normal and haven't looked back.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

This happened to me as well. Can't explain it. One day I just woke up and couldn't do inverted controls anymore.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#12  Edited By jacksukeru

I don't even know if I have a preference. In some games the camera controls just feel wrong so I change them, but often they don't feel much better once I do so I keep changing them back and forth until I finally decide to just stick with one. Eventually I just get used to whatever I ended up on.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By AndrewB

That's mostly the way it worked for me. It was just natural for the longest time. Then I heard people talking about how inverted is crazy. I tried it non-inverted, and it didn't take long to pick up on it. Unfortunately, it doesn't work the other way. Whenever I play a game with forced inverted (I think Wind Waker has perma-inverted camera controls), I fumble around with it and my brain can't get used to the "old way."

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By shiftymagician

I had this kind of moment as well. I used to play tons of Halo 1 inverted and it followed through future games. But I believe it is after playing a lot of PC games and not holding a controller, as soon as I went back and tried playing console games inverted I lost the ability to play effectively with it. Went back to normal since. I bet I can get used to inverted again but at the moment I don't see the need to.

Onkel_Apan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Onkel_Apan

same thing for me, tho only thing is that in third person games if there is a underwater part i have a hard time playing in "normal"

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@ztiworoh: Welcome home, brother. Welcome home...

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ztiworoh: There was a pretty recent report that adults interpret words differently as we get older, that is, the way we read changes.

I wonder if it's something similar to that.

Also, I have no idea if this is accurate or not, but I've always thought people invert their controls because we tilt our heads back to look up. In some ways, it makes more sense than the alternative.

Saying that, I don't invert, personally.

DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DelroyLindo

@GetEveryone said:

@ztiworoh: There was a pretty recent report that adults interpret words differently as we get older, that is, the way we read changes.

I wonder if it's something similar to that.

Also, I have no idea if this is accurate or not, but I've always thought people invert their controls because we tilt our heads back to look up. In some ways, it makes more sense than the alternative.

Saying that, I don't invert, personally.

That's why I invert, it just makes sense to me and I can't play normal at all.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By crusader8463

Unlike some other sinners in here, it's just seeing the error of your ways and playing like a true believer. Congrats on saving your soul!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By penguindust

Perhaps tomorrow you'll wake up left-handed, living at the bottom of the world where the toilets flush backwards and the dogs walk people!

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ExplodeMode

I tried RE:Revelations and it's either aiming using my left hand, or the 3ds slidepad, but my brain keeps switching between inverted and normal.

I'm left handed and have to switch to inverted y normally for my right thumb stick. This game is messing me up.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WickedFather

You're turning into a woman. Soon it'll be kinnect games and Singstar that are all you can play.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

For me,the whole switch to inverted controls happened around the time Mass Effect came out. At the time I didn't even know that it was a thing. Right when I started the game and set foot on Eden Prime I went to go adjust a few settings and then it happened. I exited the start menu and BAM, inverted Y axis. I didn't know how to fix it.It wasn't my fault. I had to play all of Mass Effect like that. Ever since then I play with an inverted Y axis. I have been cursed with the inverted voodoo.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't stop me and my inverted ways.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MikeGosot

Sometimes, i want to play with inverted controls, but i'm afraid i'm going to stick with it and then find a game i wanto to play that has no inverted controls.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Samaritan

Having played inverted since I can remember (It's just how I learned to play on a controller), the concept of suddenly being able to play non-inverted is as foreign to me as the concept of suddenly being left-handed as a right-handed person. I wish I could switch to non-inverted controls, but I've played like that for over a decade; it's ingrained in me.

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By happenstance

Same thing happened to me. I had always played FPS' with inverted controls and one day I turned on Modern Warfare 1 and it just felt really wrong. I have no idea what changed but I havent used them since.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By clstirens

@ztiworoh: I can't explain it myself, but I had the same thing happen TWICE. I used to play Goldeneye inverted, then switched for Perfect dark.

THEN, I switched BACK to inverted for Metroid prime and early Halo. Halfway through playing Halo 1, I suddenly switched to Normal, haven't looked back.

Though I do prefer "standard" (aka inverted) Flight controls. However, oddly, Sometimes games default to NOT standard inverted flight, and I prefer it this way....

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

You're a man now son.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ViciousReiven

I'm really mixed, if I'm playing with a dual analog controller, and the right stick is used to aim/camera then I'm inverted, my mind can't make sense of it any other way, I've tried to force myself to go non-inverted (which btw is not called 'normal' anymore for a reason) to play old games that didn't have the option and I just couldn't do it, I gave up and shelved them after hours of agony. 

However, if I'm playing a game like RE4 where when you go into aim mode you control it with the left stick I can easily flip between either Y-axis direction no problem. 
PC is always non-inverted, even I can't fathom who the hell would invert a mouse, or the x-axis for that matter.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ViciousReiven said:

I'm really mixed, if I'm playing with a dual analog controller, and the right stick is used to aim/camera then I'm inverted, my mind can't make sense of it any other way, I've tried to force myself to go non-inverted (which btw is not called 'normal' anymore for a reason) to play old games that didn't have the option and I just couldn't do it, I gave up and shelved them after hours of agony. However, if I'm playing a game like RE4 where when you go into aim mode you control it with the left stick I can easily flip between either Y-axis direction no problem. PC is always non-inverted, even I can't fathom who the hell would invert a mouse, or the x-axis for that matter.

Yeah that's how it is for me. Right thumb on a controller is always inverted, PC or left thumb is normal. It was actually pretty hard to play The Walking Dead with a controller on PC because of the lack of inverted controls. Luckily with motioninjoy and a DS3 you can invert the y axis at a software level.