• 126 results
#101 Posted by mithhunter55 (576 posts) -

Amazing post. I am going to make my way through most of these I think. Just watched the Mirrors Edge with 2 guys 1 controller, very impressive.

#102 Edited by TruthTellah (7633 posts) -

@vamino said:

@draxyle said:

FZero GX was definitely the highlight for me. Love that game, and it's crazy to see what insanity can be pulled off by an expert. Even on normal mode those missions were a bastard and a half to complete.

Still need to catch up on a lot though. Was really bummed to have missed the Super Metroid race; that sounded fantastic.

Super Metroid race was seriously good. Definitely worth the watch. I can't believe those guys do that Samus arm pump over and over for a single pixel of gain each time.

F-Zero GX was a JOY to see as well. That guy is seriously insane in a way that people can enjoy having no knowledge of the game, but for those that played it it's on another level. I thought Yoshifan's run last year was good (and it was!) but good lord. I must have put a few hundred hours into GX back in the day. Finished very hard story, used to compete in the max speed ladder and was pretty good for a while (nearly broke the top 20 at one point.) I was in serious awe of CGN. There were no new techniques or anything that I hadn't seen from when I played, but the ability to pull them all off so easily and consistently is stunning. Cool to see that people are still setting new record times. Skipping energy in VH Chapter 5 is pure insanity and I can't believe he even took that guys bet on.

I miss F-Zero, I wish there was a new one..

Yeah, CGN's run was on a whole other level. Him taking those bets and actually succeeding were nuts. Skipping that energy was a mix of hubris and ability to actually back it up. ha.

On that last level, I was with Naegleria in feeling like my heart was gonna burst!

#103 Edited by Sarumarine (2054 posts) -

Oh man, thanks for the bonus stream stuff.

I watched MechaRichter's run of Treasure Master and... that game has some awesome music. Haha.

#104 Edited by HerbieBug (3838 posts) -
#105 Posted by kmg90 (409 posts) -

The archive of the stream is currently being added as of this post on Archive.org

They upload by game and come in multiple flavors of resolution...

#106 Edited by Hailinel (22696 posts) -

@vamino said:

@draxyle said:

FZero GX was definitely the highlight for me. Love that game, and it's crazy to see what insanity can be pulled off by an expert. Even on normal mode those missions were a bastard and a half to complete.

Still need to catch up on a lot though. Was really bummed to have missed the Super Metroid race; that sounded fantastic.

Super Metroid race was seriously good. Definitely worth the watch. I can't believe those guys do that Samus arm pump over and over for a single pixel of gain each time.

F-Zero GX was a JOY to see as well. That guy is seriously insane in a way that people can enjoy having no knowledge of the game, but for those that played it it's on another level. I thought Yoshifan's run last year was good (and it was!) but good lord. I must have put a few hundred hours into GX back in the day. Finished very hard story, used to compete in the max speed ladder and was pretty good for a while (nearly broke the top 20 at one point.) I was in serious awe of CGN. There were no new techniques or anything that I hadn't seen from when I played, but the ability to pull them all off so easily and consistently is stunning. Cool to see that people are still setting new record times. Skipping energy in VH Chapter 5 is pure insanity and I can't believe he even took that guys bet on.

I miss F-Zero, I wish there was a new one..

Yeah, CGN's run was on a whole other level. Him taking those bets and actually succeeding were nuts. Skipping that energy was a mix of hubris and ability to actually back it up. ha.

On that last level, I was with Naegleria in feeling like my heart was gonna burst!

I don't know which was most impressive; skipping the energy capsule, giving that opponent a twenty-six second (!) head start and winning handily, or those acrobatics in the final stage.

#107 Posted by RenegadeSaint (1473 posts) -

To put things in perspective, AGDQ has now raised over 1.67 million dollars. Since 1985, The Prevent Cancer Foundation has raised a total of 134 million dollars. That means that AGDQ is responsible for 1.2% of the total funds raised for this organization. That is AMAZING considering this is only the 4th year for this event and it is completely grassroots. Kudos to all the talented and hard working people who made this happen. I am blown away by their generosity.

#108 Edited by aceofspudz (877 posts) -

I wanted to enjoy the Cave Story AGDQ but the guy was really fucked over by technical difficulty and they didn't seem that interested in fixing them. The game was actually running slow. And it was palpable, as someone who has played through the game twice!

#109 Posted by AlmostSwedish (536 posts) -

Wow. That Super Metroid race was amazing.

#110 Edited by Palmlykta (168 posts) -

thank you very much for this.

#111 Posted by NorthSarge (211 posts) -

Watched almost all of these over the past couple days.... Peaches 1-Handed run was cool to watch, didn't know that was a thing. Also enjoyed the CGN f-zero run - that dude is literally unbelievable, Human TAS for sure. Viewtiful Joe was crazy to watch as well. A lot of the games that I had never seen a speed run for were really cool, the races were fun to watch, & the speed runs where they do small little tricks that shave off fractions of a second - so cool - the whole event is cool, definitely something to keep an eye on as they keep doing it.

And I had never been an active twitch user until now... the speed running community is a cool bunch to follow. I stumbled upon one of the super mario world speed runners (Dram55) play Kaizo Mario on a stream which then led to raiding Striker who was playing some Empire Strikes Back which led to raiding Monopoli and catching the end of a halo run. I definitely recommend just watching random speedrunner streams and seeing where they take you, it's quite the journey.

#112 Posted by TruthTellah (7633 posts) -

@northsarge: Glad you got to watch most of the streams; it really was quite the week!

If you enjoyed it, I hope you'll support their cause and donate to Prevent Cancer if you haven't already. Even $5 is great in the bigger picture! :)

#113 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1278 posts) -

Twitch is crap, right? It's not just me?

#114 Posted by MB (11294 posts) -

@alwaysbebombing: it's definitely crap. I'd go so far to say that Twitch is one of the worst video experiences on the web.

#115 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1278 posts) -

@mb said:

@alwaysbebombing: it's definitely crap. I'd go so far to say that Twitch is one of the worst video experiences on the web.

I'm never going to get to watch my speed run of Twilight Princess.

#116 Posted by TruthTellah (7633 posts) -

@mb said:

I'd say Twitch is pretty decent for a free service, but it does have some issues. It has certainly struggled more recently due to increased demand.

Which run were you hoping to watch? The AGDQ 2014 Twilight Princess run? Any others in particular?

If you mean the Twilight Princess run, that -has- been put on YouTube in 30 min chunks. A lot has finally appeared online; I just haven't gone through them to pinpoint each run. I might have to make a separate post for that.

Here is the Twilight Princess run if that's what you want to see:

TP 1

TP 2

TP 3

TP 4

TP 5

TP 6

TP 7

TP 8

TP 9

#117 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1278 posts) -

@alwaysbebombing said:

@mb said:

I'd say Twitch is pretty decent for a free service, but it does have some issues. It has certainly struggled more recently due to increased demand.

Which run were you hoping to watch? The AGDQ 2014 Twilight Princess run? Any others in particular?

If you mean the Twilight Princess run, that -has- been put on YouTube in 30 min chunks. A lot has finally appeared online; I just haven't gone through them to pinpoint each run. I might have to make a separate post for that.

Here is the Twilight Princess run if that's what you want to see:

TP 1

TP 2

TP 3

TP 4

TP 5

TP 6

TP 7

TP 8

TP 9

Hey, Thanks

#118 Posted by TruthTellah (7633 posts) -

@alwaysbebombing: No problem!

Once all of the runs are on YouTube, I'll probably make another YouTube-specific post, as each run will probably be chopped into a few parts. Though, if there are any specific runs you want to see now, I can try to find one for you. :)

#119 Edited by shatted (50 posts) -

Whew, there was a moment back there where I thought I was actually going to get some meaningful work done this month. Thank you so much for saving me from that!

#120 Posted by TruthTellah (7633 posts) -

@shatted said:

Whew, there was a moment back there where I thought I was actually going to get some meaningful work done this month. Thank you so much for saving me from that!

haha. Glad to make it easier for you to enjoy many of these great runs. :)

#121 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1278 posts) -

Once all of the runs are on YouTube, I'll probably make another YouTube-specific post, as each run will probably be chopped into a few parts. Though, if there are any specific runs you want to see now, I can try to find one for you. :)

The only other one I really want to see that I keep trying to watch is GTA: VC

#122 Edited by TruthTellah (7633 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

Here you go:

GTA: VC 1

GTA: VC 2

#123 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1278 posts) -

@alwaysbebombing said:

@truthtellah said:

Here you go:

My wifu for lifu right here.

#124 Edited by TruthTellah (7633 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

@truthtellah said:

Here you go:

My wifu for lifu right here.

#125 Posted by villainy (509 posts) -

I'll be honest. When you started this post I saw it as a lame copy/paste of the reddit list with a little flair. Since then you've put serious work in here to the benefit of everyone at Giant Bomb. Thank you sincerely for making me feel like an idiot. ♥

#126 Edited by TruthTellah (7633 posts) -

@villainy said:

I'll be honest. When you started this post I saw it as a lame copy/paste of the reddit list with a little flair. Since then you've put serious work in here to the benefit of everyone at Giant Bomb. Thank you sincerely for making me feel like an idiot. ♥

Thanks, villainy! I've tried to make it easier for everyone at Giant Bomb to get to enjoy these runs. (and perhaps donate if they can!) Hopefully once everything's on YouTube, I can either add those links here or make another post with all of them. :)