Age of Booty, thoughts.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By artofwar420

I waited to get this one, mainly because it seemed too expensive. But I thought why not skip the Whopper(S) and just get it.

Screenshot
Screenshot
  • No trophies, I thought I would care, but eh... I don't mind it. A lot of other games have them.
  • Simple gameplay, you have a big pointer and you move it with the left stick and order your ship to move with X (PS3) or A (XBOX360)
  • I just bought it a couple of days ago, but it seems you only control one ship.
  • You capture towns by destroying them, if there's an enemy ship close by you must destroy it first or that team gets the town.
  • Towns give you resources, resources are used to upgrade your ship and towns.
  •  "Merchant" ships, if destroyed, give you power ups.
  • There's online multiplayer, a party system. If you wait a couple of minutes you'll find a game.

And that's the gist of the game, I think it is fun, specially when you're looking for a game to play while you are listening to podcasts, or just want to play a game that requires little effort, though a little strategy doesn't hurt. It looks pretty (it displays in 1080p), pirate vibe is well executed. I'd say it's worth the 10 bucks.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By artofwar420

I waited to get this one, mainly because it seemed too expensive. But I thought why not skip the Whopper(S) and just get it.

Screenshot
Screenshot
  • No trophies, I thought I would care, but eh... I don't mind it. A lot of other games have them.
  • Simple gameplay, you have a big pointer and you move it with the left stick and order your ship to move with X (PS3) or A (XBOX360)
  • I just bought it a couple of days ago, but it seems you only control one ship.
  • You capture towns by destroying them, if there's an enemy ship close by you must destroy it first or that team gets the town.
  • Towns give you resources, resources are used to upgrade your ship and towns.
  •  "Merchant" ships, if destroyed, give you power ups.
  • There's online multiplayer, a party system. If you wait a couple of minutes you'll find a game.

And that's the gist of the game, I think it is fun, specially when you're looking for a game to play while you are listening to podcasts, or just want to play a game that requires little effort, though a little strategy doesn't hurt. It looks pretty (it displays in 1080p), pirate vibe is well executed. I'd say it's worth the 10 bucks.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I was ranked number 30 in the world at this game for the first few weeks after release. There is a surprising amount of tactical depth and intense communication. To really enjoy it though you need a consistently smart team which is willing to combine resources for the greater goal. One of the main flaws of this game is how easily it can be ruined by one dickface who doesn't want to be a team player...

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By artofwar420

Yeah, that's definitely true, but I wouldn't say that's the game's fault. There are dickfaces everywhere independently of the game.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I need to go back and beat the last two challenges.  It's really fun with friends and I like the map editor.

freezerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By freezerr

This game is simple, yet very fun. It's especially good in MP, either split-screen or online with friends.

Shallimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Shallimus

"If you wait a couple of minutes you'll find a game."

If only. My one real problem with this game is the MP game-finder interface. It's terrible (at least it is on PS3).

• It gives no indication of how many players are online
  • It moves you in and out of potential games without explanation
  • Sometimes the 'Change team' banner flickers for a few seconds as if it's being redrawn very rapidly - why?
  • Why oh why am I not presented with a list of games so I can choose which to join, like, err, I don't know...  just about every other MP game I've ever played.
Also (and even more seriously): if a player is disconnected from a game as it starts (which happens all too often) why not replace them with an AI player? 2 humans vs 1 human is only going to end one way, so why should I even bother playing?

I've owned this game for 3 weeks, but for the reasons listed above have only managed to finish a handful of games online, despite beating all the SP challenges fairly easily. I really want to make MP work, because as others have noted this is a fantastic game, easy to play and devilishly difficult to master. Any tips or explanations? Any rumours of a patch to fix the dire mess that is the MP system? Anyone disagree (I'd love to hear about this in case I'm missing something)?
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By BoG
Sweep said:
"I was ranked number 30 in the world at this game for the first few weeks after release. There is a surprising amount of tactical depth and intense communication. To really enjoy it though you need a consistently smart team which is willing to combine resources for the greater goal. One of the main flaws of this game is how easily it can be ruined by one dickface who doesn't want to be a team player..."
Sweep, you and I need to get back to our coordinated ownage. We couldn't be beaten.