#1 Posted by thenexus (331 posts) -

Sony are rolling out some new terms and conditions telling you you can not play on PSN if you collectivly sue them again for things like if they get hacked again online.

The new clauses, dubbed "Binding Individual Arbitration," state that "any Dispute Resolution Proceedings, whether in arbitration or court, will be conducted only on an individual basis and not in a class or representative action or as a named or unnamed member in a class, consolidated, representative or private attorney general action".

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14948701

#2 Posted by RedLycra (46 posts) -

Chances are I'm not going to sue Sony any time soon.

#3 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

Get into a class action lawsuit and make no money or play some PSN games? That's a tough one.

#4 Posted by wemibelec90 (1827 posts) -

It's kind of nasty of Sony to do this but I can't complain about a free service that hasn't hurt me in any way yet. 
#5 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

I'm not American so I wasn't going to sue them anyway.

#6 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Wasn't gonna sue them anyway. And even if I actually wanted to do it we can't here.. at least not for retarded reasons

#7 Posted by Divina_Rex (351 posts) -

One can opt out by sending a letter to the Sony HQ in LA.

#8 Edited by ProfessorEss (7508 posts) -

This is the first time I've ever seen a clause like this in any of the ToCs and EULAs I've okayed!! 
Oh wait, I'm not sure if I've ever read one past "let's see how slow the scrollbar scrolls". 

I actually denied an EA one the other day solely based on how amazing longly it took to scroll to the bottom! 

I'd like to be outraged, but I think I agreed to another ToC that specifically stated I'm not allowed to be. 

#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19382 posts) -

It's a deal.

#10 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

there's a letter somewhere online that you can just print out, sign and send to Sony HQ to opt out of the new terms.

#11 Posted by StaticFalconar (4850 posts) -

you can still sue as a indiv, you just cant join a class action lawsuit

#12 Posted by benjaebe (2784 posts) -

I can't imagine I'd be joining a class action lawsuit against Sony anytime soon, not that this would even be enforceable. Because it probably wouldn't.

#13 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

Kinda pointless, if you care you can opt out, if you don't, it doesn't affect you.

#14 Posted by JJpenguin (47 posts) -

Sony as a company are worth $156, 000, 000, 000. Couldn't see myself going toe to toe against the legal power of that monstrosity so I think i'll sign my soul away and stay happy.

Also I'm not American.

#15 Posted by Silver-Streak (1382 posts) -

Microsoft also has arbitration verbiage in the XBL terms of use. In fact, from a precursory glance, their only opt out option is to not use XBL. So, I'd say Sony has a step up in this case.

Arbitration verbiage is pretty much common practice when it comes to most contracted/provider services(If you're in the US). I'm actually surprised they didn't have it before. Based off recent supreme court rulings for AT&T, it's considered constitutional and legal, too.

#16 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

deal!

#17 Posted by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

Oh, is this what was in the way when I was trying to watch Breaking Bad today?

Sony has a deal...I won't file a class action law suit....

#18 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1819 posts) -

I probably wasn't going to sue them anyway.

#19 Posted by mosdl (3258 posts) -

Some US states have laws that invalidate that btw. Plus I bet MS is going to follow suit.

#20 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Only on the internet do you find people so proud of being pushovers.

#21 Posted by Marokai (3141 posts) -

This is a pretty gross thing to do, IMO. The video game industry in general seems to have some spectacularly gross terms and conditions.

#22 Posted by avidwriter (665 posts) -

Oh Sony, you so silly.

#23 Posted by thenexus (331 posts) -

Most of us are never going to do it and will not care about this, I do not but when you get down to it Sony are being dicks.

They got hacked - Was a dam shame, lots have recently, that sucks. The way they handled it in regards to peoples secure and personal data I was pretty appalled by. I do not blame some people banding together to sue. I mean they make it a nightmare to do it on your own. Our personal details are very powerful and very precious. As a web developer and designer I know a lot about that side of things. So no, no blame at all for people wanting a lawsuit to actually go somewhere by banding together.

For any company to go "Hey, if you want to play or use our stuff you can not sue us" is pretty underhanded.

Try Sue a company like Sony on your own, You would get no where.

#24 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

Can you sue someone for not being allowed to sue?

#25 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Wait, so you can't legally take any action if they are hacked in the future? And people are okay with this?

I obviously must be missing something.

#26 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

I can't imagine this clause actually holding up in court.

#27 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Singed. Deal.

#28 Posted by gunslingerNZ (1927 posts) -

@Scrumdidlyumptious said:

I'm not American and I made $8 in a Paypal class action suit once. While it's kind of satisfying to know you're making the Company pay for its mistakes it's definitely not profitable. If there was a class action suit against Sony I probably wouldn't join since I wasn't really hurt by the outage and don't want to divert money away from potentially developing future games.

All that said this is an pretty outrageous move on Sony's behalf, basically holding the service you paid for, and they already deprived us of for a month, to ransom. If they had straight up sent me an email asking me to agree not to participate in a class action I probably would have, the fact that they chose this route instead leaves a very sour taste in my mouth.

#29 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

That's kinda nasty sounding, but it's pretty standard shit as far as I know. And also, not very serious. It's not like it's saying "We can get away with anything!"

@Scrumdidlyumptious said:

What? Is that just another bit of lazy humor, or do you think they only exist in America or something? lol...

#30 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2482 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

I can't imagine this clause actually holding up in court.

I doubt it, too.
#31 Posted by Enigma777 (6058 posts) -

No, you can still sue the pants off of Sony, you just can't do it with a class-action lawsuit.

#32 Posted by ze_ro (181 posts) -

@RedLycra said:

Chances are I'm not going to sue Sony any time soon.

#33 Posted by McShank (1630 posts) -

@ryanwho said:

Only on the internet do you find people so proud of being pushovers.

#34 Posted by Levio (1786 posts) -

Why read the TOC when you can just click accept and get to play games!

:D

#35 Posted by alibson (165 posts) -

I cannot believe people are agreeing to this. It doesn't matter if you're ever going to sue them, it's about having the right to sue them.

Might as well agree to police riding around in tanks, because you're never going to rise up against your country.

#36 Posted by thenexus (331 posts) -

Wonder what would happen if they put a clause in that says that you agree to give them your first newborn baby. I bet you people would click and the contract would be sealed. Sounds daft but these big companies have the weight and power to go down that route. Many a movie and game have the future run by corporations f'ing us over.

#37 Posted by falling_fast (2277 posts) -

that seems incredibly shitty of them.

#38 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3113 posts) -

Not exactly overflowing with confidence about their new security, I guess...

#39 Posted by TheSilentTruth (1145 posts) -

I'm just annoyed that it takes a while to scroll down just to hit the 'okay' button.