Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Daouzin
No Caption Provided

KickStarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1289882404/air-dash-online-the-competitive-platform-fighter

Facebook

Twitter

Developer: JV5 Games

Platform: PC

Genre: Platform Fighting

Private Beta Release Date: Winter 2013

Intro

Air Dash Online is a platform fighting game in development by JV5 Games. Mike Z (from Skull Girls) is on board as a Game Mechanics consultant, helping when he can while his main focus is Skull Girls. Also on staff are professional Super Smash Brothers: Melee players, M2K and Wobbles. The game has original characters that come from a variety of fantasy genres; however the main focus is competitive play.

Characters

No Caption Provided

Concept art for all of the characters are available at AirDashOnline.com, but these characters will be available in the initial private beta.

Stages

Stages will look similar to what you would expect in a Smash title. The following is concept art for Tesla's stage. (Tesla is the character with Blue hair.)

No Caption Provided

Alternate Character Skins

The following is an example of an alternate character skin. JV5 Games is planning to have 3 available for each character.

No Caption Provided

More Info

This thread will be updated with more info as development progresses.

Feedback(Survey)

Air Dash Online is looking for fighting game fans to give their 2 cents. If you would like to contribute please feel out this survey and of course feel free to post in this thread or the Smash Boards thread.

We are looking for enthusiastic fans of the Smash Brothers series, but also fans of the fighting game community at large. Stay in the loop by liking ADO's facebook page.

Ultimately the more feedback the better.

Would you like to see a hyper competitive platform fighter?

Update:

Pre-Alpha Screens

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

Is this based on Smash's general framework? The first thing I thought of about this is ArcSys-based fighters.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Cue the "Smash Brothers isn't a real fighting game" people

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

don't know how i feel about the kinda generic-ass animeh characters, but if it plays well and in a similar style to SSB i'll maybe give it a chance.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

calling your game air dash online kind of evokes arc games...

could be interesting though.

MeganeAgain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have heard of this before, but I did not know there were competitive players involved in its development. I'm more intrigued than before now knowing this. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this game.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to see it in action before I get excited. I've wanted to try out Project M for some time but could not get the Wii emulator to work.

Daouzin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Daouzin

@thephantomnaut said:

Is this based on Smash's general framework? The first thing I thought of about this is ArcSys-based fighters.

The game is being developed in Unity 3D, but is definitely being built from the ground up to be familiar to Super Smash Brothers Melee fans and other platform fighter players with the competitive advanced techniques in mind. Not specifically things like L canceling and Wave dashing, but advance techniques that are similar in the sense that they don't have binary results.

For example (In Smash, not ADO), in competitive Smash a player may know how to L cancel and wave dash, but their level of skill will determine whether or not they get the full advantage from using the technique. Starting players may get a wave dash, but only a 1/4th or 1/2th of it's potential width, while advanced players can increase the speed and length of the wave dash.

Definitely understand why the ArcSys-based fighters comes to mind with the title now that you guys mention it. Something we should definitely note.

For fans of Smash, keep in mind, this exists:

http://www.play-asia.com/GC_Controller_Adapter_for_PC_USB/paOS-13-71-6m-49-en-70-4sqd.html

Also, Eric Sheppard is on board and he is a lead developer for Project M.

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Chibithor

The more Smash Bros. inspired games the better. With added air dashing (I'd assume so at any rate), anime and a PC version, I look forwards to seeing more of this.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daouzin: Are you part of the development team? If so, what is the team's stance on wavedashing? Unlike other techniques like L-cancelling, wavedashing is both unique and integral to the SSBM series. Is there an expectation to have it in your game considering your goal to make an SSBM like fighter?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Which one is Mario.

Daouzin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Daouzin
@andorski said:

@daouzin: Are you part of the development team? If so, what is the team's stance on wavedashing? Unlike other techniques like L-cancelling, wavedashing is both unique and integral to the SSBM series. Is there an expectation to have it in your game considering your goal to make an SSBM like fighter?

I'm not part of the development team, I'll be in charge of reaching out to press once the game is further along. I'm actually in the process of making my own card game, but since I used to be a huge Melee player and a close friend of mine started the studio, I got involved. Thought I could help out while I collect the art assets I need for my own project. Plus, I believe in their vision.

crispy4001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crispy4001
No Caption Provided

Found another piece of stage art.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wikitoups

So if this is Like a arc systems game is it similar to guilty gear isuka? Cause y that's the only thing I can think of as a 4 player game.

crispy4001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By crispy4001

@wikitoups said:

So if this is Like a arc systems game is it similar to guilty gear isuka? Cause y that's the only thing I can think of as a 4 player game.

It'll probably work out more like Smash Bros given the people involved (ie: some top level Melee/Brawl players and a Project M coder). There's an article that basically confirms they're using a similar knockback and ringout system. A good thing IMO, since it plays to the team's experience and those mechanics tend to be left out in most Smash 'clones.' Bringing them outside of a party, mascot fighter context is still relatively new idea. Certainly it's taken long enough for someone to take that ball and run with it.

I'm guessing there will be some overlap from traditional fighters as well. Mike Z is consulting with the mechanics. They've also said they're going with 8-way directional controls to accommodate fight sticks. Been some murmurings about on-hit-canceling and such as well. (ie: Lucario in Project M)

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HOLD ON!
Is that Skin on those Female characters I see?! SKIN?! As in I can see their skin! And they have bosoms! I AM OUTRAGED FOR NO REASON! RAAARH RAAARH RAAAARH! and so on and so forth with a lot of whitenose and screaming and junk.

With that out of the way, let's move on to the important stuff and not pretend I'm crusading for a greater planet earth here.
This could potentially be very interesting and super good in the end. Especially with the people apparantly involved in it(I had no idea at first that they were, so hey! That's pretty sweet)
Definitely looking forward to more info about development in the future as it's looking like something worth playing. I'm liking the look of that Tesla level more and more the more I look at it(that's a lot of "more")

JV5Chris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JV5Chris

Hi everyone! I'm Chris, one of the artists on the team. Very excited to see interest here on Giant Bomb. I'm planning on doing a series of streams as I work on the game assets, so hopefully you'll be seeing a lot more from me soon.

@andorski said:

what is the team's stance on wavedashing?

Not speaking for the team here, but I would be happy to share my opinion on the matter. Wavedashing is one of many factors that makes high level Melee an exciting, free-form game to watch and play. I view the technique as having a positive impact on Melee's depth, player creativity, and competitive lifespan. Unfortunately, the execution barrier and label as an 'exploit' do give it a bad rap within a segment of Smash fans. As Dauozin mentioned though, we have different techniques, but do keep in mind Melee is our primary inspiration.

I personally welcome the idea of player discoveries that extend beyond our design intentions and expectations, within reason of course. Sounds a lot more exciting to me than trying to dictate how every aspect of the game should be played.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Sakurai needs to stop pretending that he won't keep going with the Smash Bros franchise. Also, Playstation All-Stars needs to become a franchise.

2D Platformer-Fighters needs to become a legit genre.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Not sure what to think about this until I see some gameplay footage. Looking forward to that kickstarter.

Daouzin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Daouzin

@snail said:

Not sure what to think about this until I see some gameplay footage. Looking forward to that kickstarter.

Glad to hear!

We recently just live streamed the 3D modeling of the character Tesla.
http://www.twitch.tv/clashtournaments/b/398720427

It's a cool thing to watch if you're just interested in the process.

For those of you looking for more info, Game Skinny put up an interview up with Mike Lau from JV5 Games.
http://www.gameskinny.com/d3cw4/air-dash-online-is-coming-smash-on

We'll be updating this thread as we have more to show.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By TheHT

i will play this.

JV5Chris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Streaming more character modeling at 7:30 PST. Very close to wrapping up Tesla's high resolution sculpt, so tonight I'll be starting the game level mesh.

No Caption Provided

Again, thanks to Clash Tournaments for hosting:

No Caption Provided

Click Here to Watch at 7:30 PST

As always feel free to come in and chat. A few of the other JV5 team members typically make an appearance as well.

crispy4001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By crispy4001
JV5Chris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Streaming Again for Air Dash Online. I got a lot of texturing done, but I still have his weapon left to do.

No Caption Provided

Click Here to Watch

Keeping it casual today, so feel free to come in and chat about E3 and such. Thanks again to Clash tournaments for hosting.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

don't know how i feel about the kinda generic-ass animeh characters, but if it plays well and in a similar style to SSB i'll maybe give it a chance.

I agree, the characters just look too much like the typical Anime characters. The big dude and the tiger look interesting though.

crispy4001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By crispy4001
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

First screens, still early pre-Alpha according to the FB page. They're going to show it at EVO.

crispy4001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By crispy4001
Click to see in motion.
Click to see in motion.

Figured this was worth sharing. Pretty excited to see the effect outside of this GIF.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hearing anything related to smash makes me miss the 2002-early 2007 smash community. Those were some fun dudes.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not enough Nintendo characters, destined to fail

crispy4001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By crispy4001

@bigjeffrey: Well, it'd have to fail on indie game terms, not big budget retail. If it does, maybe the whole platforming fighter sub-genre is damned to live and die by Nintendo. I'd find that discouraging personally - I don't like waiting 6 years for a new one. It's doubtful any big publisher will try again after PS All-Stars flopped.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any video of the game running yet? Did a quick search on Youtube and it seems to have been shown at EVO, but no one has any footage of the game.

crispy4001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By crispy4001

@andorski: Nothing on Youtube yet. They're waiting on giving more visual feedback to attacks - it's still fairly early in development.

That said they've still been streaming development on Clash Tournaments. There's a vid with gameplay (start 15 minutes in) as of a week ago, but it didn't have the motion trail effect in.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hey guys, remember playstation all-stars? Did that ever become a thing?

crispy4001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By crispy4001

@i_stay_puft: It didn't sell like the AAA game Sony wanted it to be, so they shut down the developer. Now they're outsourcing Coca Cola-branded Playstation All Stars phone and tablet runner games.

I didn't love PSA, but thought it was more successful of a party game than Smash in some ways. It certainly didn't deserve its fate.

JV5Chris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey said:

Not enough Nintendo characters, destined to fail

This notion is exactly why the genre could stand to diversify.

crispy4001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh I didn't realize there was a thread for this. Their kickstarter went live for the game today.

Daouzin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks pretty cool actually. I could definitely see myself funding this.

Daouzin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@solh0und said:

This looks pretty cool actually. I could definitely see myself funding this.

Thanks! The developers are actually planning on releasing a demo on Steam Greenlight to raise more interest by allowing people to play the 2 characters they have so far. So hopefully that will persuade people like yourself that have a general interest, but need a little more. If you think of anything specific, let us know.