• 68 results
#1 Posted by Knave (548 posts) -

So I'm watching the E3 2012 Day 1 Video, and I've noticed that Alex says "Like" and "You know" a whole lot. Once i noticed that, all i do while he talks is expect the next time he says that, and it makes me unable to pay attention to anything he says.

Thoughts?

#2 Posted by Mystyr_E (1189 posts) -

He also smiles, nods and looks at everyone when he says something funny/interesting :P

#3 Posted by Chicken_Pants (19 posts) -

I think people should give the guy a break.

Thoughts?

#4 Posted by N7 (3574 posts) -

You know, he was one of the reasons I signed up to this site. He's incredibly snarky, but in an intelligent way. Like, all of his articles. You know, the snarky ones, like his E3 articles you may have seen. You know? So, like, there's that.

#5 Posted by leebmx (2227 posts) -

He also writes them a lot. I don't mind them when he speaks (this is coming from someone who says - 'know what I mean' at the end of most sentences) however his 'verbal' tics in his writing, especially 'so....er....that's, like, a thing', really get on my nerves. I think he is a good writer when he tries but this very coloquial, idiomatic style he falls into for can be really annoying.

#6 Posted by ThePickle (4155 posts) -

You probably say it more than you realize.

#7 Posted by myketuna (1655 posts) -

I just hate it when that asshole breathes all the time. Why can't Alex just stop doing that? I can't listen to what he says because he's breathing so much.

(For those of you dumb enough to think I'm not joking, I AM joking. Can never be too careful with these threads)

#8 Posted by alternate (2688 posts) -

Hating on Alex, so .. that's a thing.

#9 Posted by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

My thought is that you didn't need to make a thread about it.

#10 Edited by CornBREDX (4874 posts) -

I get that this may be a hate on Alex thread. I don't have a problem with Alex so I'm kind of skirting that.

Anyway, I noticed on the live show last night Ryan says "you know" a lot sometimes and it spread like wild fire last night (at least during the first segment). Everyone kept saying "you know" a lot. It was crazy. It must have been said at least a 1000 times last night haha

I just thought it was funny. I'm really tired, though, so I notice weird stuff

#11 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@N7 said:
You know, he was one of the reasons I signed up to this site. He's incredibly snarky, but in an intelligent way. Like, all of his articles. You know, the snarky ones, like his E3 articles you may have seen. You know? So, like, there's that.
That's a thing
#12 Posted by KoolAid (855 posts) -

I think Jeff hates things in a lovable way and Alex hates things in a non-lovable way.

#13 Posted by Binman88 (3684 posts) -

Didn't notice. I think Alex is alright.

#14 Posted by Brodehouse (9650 posts) -

Alex has a similarity to how I feel about most musicians in that I really enjoy his Year of the Cage articles and his movie and game reviews, but on-camera I find him to be abrasive and obnoxious. Maybe it's just a matter of him being more composed in writing or something, I don't know. I also don't dig the populist take on the news. Inevitably there will be populist "this is the worst thing ever!" stuff in the comments, you don't need to whip them up, they'll be in a frenzy soon enough. But his reviews, both positive and negative, are really good. And Year of the Cage is great.

I really wish I could put this feeling across to him in some way that wouldn't seem like I'm just trying to kick him in the balls.

#15 Posted by SaFt (379 posts) -

@Chicken_Pants said:

Thoughts?

I second this motion.

All in favor?

#16 Posted by Brendan (7696 posts) -

This is a little blase at this point, no?

#17 Posted by JoeyRavn (4950 posts) -

@SaFt said:

@Chicken_Pants said:

Thoughts?

I second this motion.

All in favor?

But he did this thing. Some thing, any thing. Why does he have to do a thing, man? I just hate it when he does a thing.

#18 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4646 posts) -

@Mystyr_E said:

He also smiles, nods and looks at everyone when he says something funny/interesting :P

It's more when he says something that he thinks is funny/interesting.

It never is.

#19 Posted by pickassoreborn (522 posts) -

I like all the Giant Bomb staff whatever they do whenever they do. So should you.

#20 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

@N7 said:

*slowclap*

#21 Edited by wjb (1645 posts) -

So I'm reading some dude's thread, and I've noticed he's complaining about stuff that doesn't really matter to most people. Once i noticed that, all i do while he talks is expect the next time he says that, and it makes me unable to pay attention to anything he says. (sic)

Thoughts?

For real, people say "like" a lot.

EDIT: If Alex talked like this guy, then you have a case.

#22 Posted by StriderNo9 (1084 posts) -

I really like all of the GB staff a lot. Brad being my favorite, but Alex is probably the best writer of the bunch, and that's saying a lot.

#23 Posted by bushpusherr (762 posts) -

Didn't bother me at all. I like Alex much better in those types of videos, he only gets on my nerves when he knows he has a big audience and tries way too hard to be funny.

#24 Posted by Jimbo (9776 posts) -

I find myself doing the 'like' thing in written text sometimes and it annoys me. I blame everybody else for being a bad influence. I don't do it when I speak, but it seems a fairly common habit in the UK among people born after about 1990, and it's annoying when they do it too. The word you're looking for is NOTHING THE FUCK AT ALL. Just stop speaking until you've figured out the next word. Like, fuck.

#25 Posted by wumbo3000 (943 posts) -

@alternate said:

Well played sir.

#26 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

Everyone notices everything and no one cares.

#27 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1741 posts) -

I think I was more distracted at how many times Ryan gave the camera his bedroom eyes.

Leave me alone, you foul seductress!

#28 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2141 posts) -

That's how people from California talk, I know from experience.

#29 Posted by Encephalon (1240 posts) -

It's an involuntary nervous tic. Like, you know, one of several nervous tics I'm sure many of us fall back on when speaking publicly.

#30 Posted by i8246i (119 posts) -

@Knave said:

So I'm watching the E3 2012 Day 1 Video, and I've noticed that Alex says "Like" and "You know" a whole lot. Once i noticed that, all i do while he talks is expect the next time he says that, and it makes me unable to pay attention to anything he says.

Thoughts?

Lots of people do that. Its an annoying quirk, but its something we all do unconsciously when we think we need to fill in dead space...lest we get interrupted by one of our peers.

I notice this a lot with radio announcers and it drives me up the wall....

Its something that can be overcome, but it takes a *lot* of practice and a *lot* of time...in the end, its easier for the audience to just cut people some slack. Just like everyone else from the GB crew, Alex has his own views on gaming, and that's not a bad thing.

Also, without him the E3 bumpers wouldn't be the same.

#31 Posted by Knave (548 posts) -

People are taking this a bit out of hand. This is NOT a hate on Alex thread. I was exaggerating and nitpicking because everyone seems to have a beef with the guy.

#32 Posted by Animasta (14651 posts) -

I say like alot too, it's annoying but I do it anyway

#33 Posted by upwarDBound (654 posts) -

Yes, Alex was in the video.

#34 Posted by Cirdain (2998 posts) -

@Chicken_Pants: @SaFt: @Knave:@will_leisure: @LiquidSwords:

When I pour freezing-chilled water on a slightly above average thickness plain white paper, the water is not absorbed into the paper. It just rolls off. But when I pour room temperature water on the paper is is instantly absorbed.

Thoughts?

#35 Posted by tourgen (4432 posts) -

@Binman88 said:

Didn't notice. I think Alex is alright.

#36 Posted by Moody_yeti (369 posts) -

@alternate said:

Beaten to the punch, So....that's a thing.

#37 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

Oh yeah? How about Ed "you know" Boon?

#38 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Knave said:

Thoughts?

Your weird, does this bother you?

#39 Posted by TheHBK (5466 posts) -

@Chicken_Pants said:

Thoughts?

Fuck no

#40 Posted by SamFo (1526 posts) -

I wish people who bagged Alex got banned. It's so pointless. Fact is he's better at this job than you are. Soooo fuck off? And if you say it's "constructive" feedback or something. Why not pm it instead of publically bringing it out.

#41 Posted by AlexW00d (6198 posts) -

I did indeed notice this; I imagine he was tired.

#42 Posted by GolazoDan (114 posts) -

I like Alex. However, his beard is silly.

#43 Edited by Knave (548 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior: My weird who/what? My uncle, grandma, who? Finish your sentences.

#44 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

@myketuna said:

I just hate it when that asshole breathes all the time. Why can't Alex just stop doing that? I can't listen to what he says because he's breathing so much.

agreed. personally i don't mind breathing but when he does it, it really gets on my nerves. he does it in such an annoying way.

#45 Edited by celegorm_menegroth (63 posts) -

@SaFt said:

@Chicken_Pants said:

Thoughts?

I second this motion.

All in favor?

Seconded.

Edit: My bad, just finished work and didn't register that it's redundant to second a seconded motion. So, amend that to "Aye."

#46 Posted by Gruff182 (853 posts) -

@celegorm_menegroth said:

@SaFt said:

@Chicken_Pants said:

Thoughts?

I second this motion.

All in favor?

Seconded.

Edit: My bad, just finished work and didn't register that it's redundant to second a seconded motion. So, amend that to "Aye."

Seconded.

#47 Posted by Akeldama (4239 posts) -

@SaFt said:

@Chicken_Pants said:

Thoughts?

I second this motion.

All in favor?

I.

#48 Posted by Winternet (8008 posts) -

Thoughts? Lock this fucker, that's my thoughts.

#49 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -

@Knave said:

People are taking this a bit out of hand. This is NOT a hate on Alex thread. I was exaggerating and nitpicking because everyone seems to have a beef with the guy.

So what, you thought we would like you if you started a hate thread on a guy SOME people have a problem with?

fuck off.

#50 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

He bugs me