#1 Posted by championfetus (245 posts) -

Midweek Madness Steam sale...

Drop your opinions like they're hot.

#2 Posted by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

My opinion is that you might ought to wait for the proper Summer Sale that should be starting tomorrow if the Codemaster's page is any indication.

#3 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

All of them apart from 4.

#4 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I really enjoyed Red Alert 3 and Uprising, funny and cool story missions and Uprising's commander mode is pretty damn awesome.

#5 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Red Alert 2, Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge and Red Alert 3.

#6 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Generals.

Tehe.

#7 Edited by shadowdrone (69 posts) -

Red Alert 2 is one of my favorite RTSes of all time. So much fun. The first C&C is worth it to see the original, though Red alert is a little bit better. Generals is also pretty fun.

Also, avoid C&C 4 at all costs, that game is a steaming pile of shit, and I'm still pissed I payed $50 for it.

#8 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -

I was disappointed with 3 when it first came out so I never picked up the expansion or red alert 3. From what I heard the franchise just goes down slope from there.

#9 Posted by Savage (316 posts) -

The only C&C games on Steam (all of which are on sale) are C&C 3, RA 3, and C&C 4, plus all of their respective expansion packs.

Red Alert 3 is utterly fantastic. Along with C&C 1 and RA 1&2, RA 3 is a true high point in the franchise. It has some of the best gameplay of them all and is quite campy and hilarious. Greg Kasavin also worked on it, and it shows in some of the witty writing and unit designs.

C&C 3 is so-so and C&C 4 is terrible, sadly.

Neither the C&C 3 expansion pack nor the RA 3 expansion pack is particularly noteworthy; each just adds more content--but of lower overall quality--to their respective games.

#10 Posted by PeezMachine (234 posts) -

Red Alert 2 was pretty boss. Nice blend of solid gameplay and that classic Red Alert campiness. Just BEWARE the end of the Soviet campaign... shit can be rough.

#11 Posted by Korwin (2825 posts) -

Any of them that aren't 4.

#12 Posted by FLStyle (4576 posts) -

Red Alert 2 and Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge

Yuri commands it
#13 Posted by horseman6 (363 posts) -

They are all great, including C&C 4. C&C 4 has very little in common gameplay-wise to the previous games so if you're a massive fan of the series, you're going to be disappointed.

#14 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

I don't follow C&C after EA dissolved Westwood Studios (the original developers of C&C) so my answer is...none! Save your money for other games.

#15 Posted by D_W (1124 posts) -

The games before Red Alert 2 have not aged well unfortunately. But Red Alert 2, Red Alert 3, and C&C3 (and it's expansion) are still great games.

#16 Posted by coakroach (2488 posts) -

Red Alert 2.

Clone Vats and Conscripts.

#17 Posted by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

In Red Alert 3 you can fire bears out a cannon that then land with a little parachute and maul your enemies, if that isn't enough of an incentive I don't know what is.

I bought C&C4 because it couldn't be that bad right? Wrong, it's a massive steaming pile of crap. There is no enjoyment to be had, not even from the cutscenes.

#18 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Well Tim Curry's in Red Alert 3, so that makes it worth it alone. Then again you could also watch the cutscenes on Youtube.  

Red Alert 3 isn't bad, nothing spectacular though. 

#19 Edited by Jothel (913 posts) -

@Geno said:

Well Tim Curry's in Red Alert 3, so that makes it worth it alone. Then again you could also watch the cutscenes on Youtube. Red Alert 3 isn't bad, nothing spectacular though.

Tim Curry's reading of "SPACE!" late in the allied campaign makes the game worth buying for alone.

#20 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

None of them with a '3' or higher in title.

#21 Posted by OtakuGamer (1224 posts) -

I thought Red Alert was too cartoonish and silly for my tastes and Command and Conquer 4 was a complete disaster. Command and Conquer 3 and Kane’s Wrath was at least pretty decent, so go for that.

#22 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

The one were Rick Flair gives a tank a flying elbow.........Yeah! Thats a thing!

#23 Posted by RelentlessKnight (963 posts) -

it's only the five recent C&C games... boo

#24 Posted by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -
@Jimbo said:

None of them with a '3' or higher in title.

3 and the expansion was awesome. The ones after it were crap. 4 was terrible.
#25 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

@RelentlessKnight said:

it's only the five recent C&C games... boo

Yeah. The sucky ones.

#26 Posted by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

Skip Red Alert 1, go with Red Alert 2. That one is sweet. I haven't played RA3, but I've read various opinions depending on the platform.

#27 Posted by Bollard (5248 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

My opinion is that you might ought to wait for the proper Summer Sale that should be starting tomorrow if the Codemaster's page is any indication.

Wait, what? What does that page suggest?

#28 Posted by DocHaus (1314 posts) -

In my opinion Red Alert 2 was the best (Yuri's Revenge was fun but from a balancing standpoint not so much), followed closely by Tiberian Sun. I liked Tiberium Wars (the 3rd one) even though others did not. Red Alert 3 was just a clusterfuck of so many different unit types between all 3 sides that I just could not dedicate enough time to learning the system before I moved on. As for this sale specifically, I'd say go for Tiberium Wars and Kane's Wrath.

Also, there was never a C&C4. It never existed. Anyone or anything that tells you otherwise is a filthy liar who deserves to be punched repeatedly in the face until they remember its non-existence.

#29 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

C&C3 and RA3 are both pretty brilliant

#30 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

Glad to know I'm not the only one who considers RA2 to be the best one before it went to shit. But yes, go with that. Even if it's not there buy it some other way since it's so much fun to play, better with the expansion pack too.

#31 Posted by Village_Guy (2492 posts) -

Generals.

And Red Alert 3 - mostly for Tim Curry.

#32 Posted by Kaiserreich (684 posts) -

I'd say Red Alert 3 isn't bad. But beyond that avoid like the plague, especially 4.

#33 Posted by konig_kei (596 posts) -
@Cloudenvy

Generals.

Tehe.

You speak the truth brother
#34 Posted by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -
@Chavtheworld said:

@MrKlorox said:

Last night everything published by Codemasters was on sale for 25% off with a "SPECIAL PROMOTION" date ending on the 12th. I thought they were rolling out the big summer sale, but I guess they just jumped the gun. As you can see everything's back to normal for the moment.
#35 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

red alert 2 is pretty good.

#36 Posted by SockemJetpack (407 posts) -

Just so you know... Tanya has a Timebelt in Red Alert 3. Oh yeah. A Timebelt.

Also warbears.

#37 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

@Jimbo: CnC 3 was awesome, you shut your dirty whore mouth!

#38 Posted by 1337W422102 (1005 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
@Chavtheworld said:

@MrKlorox said:

Last night everything published by Codemasters was on sale for 25% off with a "SPECIAL PROMOTION" date ending on the 12th. I thought they were rolling out the big summer sale, but I guess they just jumped the gun. As you can see everything's back to normal for the moment.
I got a 75% coupon for Serious Sam 3 that expires on August 1st, so I'm guessing the Summer Sale won't start until then.
#39 Posted by Yummylee (21246 posts) -

Nobody else here a fan of Tiberian Sun? =( Loved that one so much back in the day. The RA series are great, too, but I much preferred the cyber-punk atmosphere and aesthetic with the Tiberian games. Plus Kane and Michael Beihn, bitches.

#40 Posted by Bollard (5248 posts) -

@1337W422102 said:

@MrKlorox said:
@Chavtheworld said:

@MrKlorox said:

I got a 75% coupon for Serious Sam 3 that expires on August 1st, so I'm guessing the Summer Sale won't start until then.

That would please me a lot, I'm back from holiday then.

#41 Posted by Xymox (2065 posts) -

I think the only way to answer this is to ask yourself: Is Josef Kucan in it?

If the answer is no, then it's just not worth it.