• 124 results
#51 Posted by me3639 (1607 posts) -

I think Crysis 2 does everything i want from a game.

Ability to change difficulty

A level/ chapter re cap that includes collectable information

Ability to replay levels after it is completed

#52 Posted by Willin (1269 posts) -

Nolen North OH WAIT.

#53 Edited by Vonocourt (2107 posts) -

@Mike76x said:

@ryanwho said:
Not allowing me to skip a cutscene would be like a DVD not allowing me to choose a scene or fast forward. In a similar vien, games should catch up to DVDs from 10 years ago and allow people to choose to play a game from any given preset scene. Because they own the product. For people who think I should suffer through some shitty fetchquest to "earn" the part of the game I want to get to, attach achievements or some other meaningless thing to not skipping chapters. But a product should be about giving people the ability to experience what they want. I don't feel like "backtrack to 7 different areas and collect some mandatory shit so we can pad the playtime" is essential to my experience and I'm okay missing a fraction of the story by skipping it. The game should allow for that. Cus the alternative is giving up on the game completely.
DVDs force you to watch the "do not pirate commercials", which is funny since the only people that see that are people that buy DVDs legitimately. Blu-Rays also force you to watch commercials and opening animations, and when you try to skip right to the menu you see a big red "no you can't " symbol on your screen. That said, I agree with you. My game, I should be able to fast forward the story.

That's no different than the publisher/studio logos in front of games, or Nintendo's health advisory.

Also every video game should have a subtitle option that is applied to both the cutscenes and gameplay.

#54 Edited by CandiBunni (465 posts) -
  • Flamethrowers 
  • The ability to cut people with fire, and burn them with monsters.
#55 Posted by Hailinel (22704 posts) -

@ryanwho said:

Not allowing me to skip a cutscene would be like a DVD not allowing me to choose a scene or fast forward. In a similar vien, games should catch up to DVDs from 10 years ago and allow people to choose to play a game from any given preset scene. Because they own the product. For people who think I should suffer through some shitty fetchquest to "earn" the part of the game I want to get to, attach achievements or some other meaningless thing to not skipping chapters. But a product should be about giving people the ability to experience what they want. I don't feel like "backtrack to 7 different areas and collect some mandatory shit so we can pad the playtime" is essential to my experience and I'm okay missing a fraction of the story by skipping it. The game should allow for that. Cus the alternative is giving up on the game completely.

Alone in the Dark offered the option to play from any scene. Didn't necessarily make for a better product.

#56 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

im just gonna say that auto save is convenient but i think games could just do without it

#57 Posted by WilliamHenry (1195 posts) -

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

im just gonna say that auto save is convenient but i think games could just do without it

Why would you want to get rid of auto saves? What happens if I play a game for hours and it freezes before I save? Am I just supposed to deal with it and replay those hours?

Skipping to any part of the game is stupid. To me it seems like the complaint is about uninteresting missions/quests, not not being able to skip to any part of the game.

#58 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -
@DivineCC: well thats why i usually save every so often so when it freezes its not as bad.  what if you throw away a weapon or you just lose a lot of money from dying and the game saves right away?  if publishers are gonna implement auto save, i think they should make it like Grand Theft Auto IV where you have an auto save file with a separate set of manual save files
#59 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@Masha2932 said:
Most if not all of us have been playing games for a long time and there are basic things that all games should have regardless of genre. Hopefully we can make up a list. I'll start  All games should have:  1. Subtitles during cut-scenes and key dialogue sequences 2. Skippable cut-scenes 3. New game plus 4. Customisable controls or alternate control schemes
@FluxWaveZ said:
  1. Pausable cutscenes
  2. Fully customisable controls
These two things, and fully customizable primary characters.

That could manifest itself in the form of:
  1. An RPG's character creator
  2. A driving game's ability to paint car liveries
  3. A shooter's ability to change your armour or gun appearance
  4. Etc.
#60 Posted by WilliamHenry (1195 posts) -

@DivineCC: if publishers are gonna implement auto save, i think they should make it like Grand Theft Auto IV where you have an auto save file with a separate set of manual save files

Isn't that how most save systems already work?

#61 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

@Hockeymask27 said:

HARDCORE NUDITY. I want to see Mario's junk.

Done.

#62 Edited by Dan_CiTi (2927 posts) -
@Kyle said:

Oh, thank god. I was afraid you were going to say "split-screen multiplayer."

I would disagree with the "subtitles during cutscenes" one though. I don't like subtitles. I agree that there should be an option for it, but I would never want it to be always-on.

I feel they are necessary for certain games like Metal Gear Solid that throw around a bunch of acronyms that are not explained directly. Like MUFs. 
#63 Edited by HerbieBug (3840 posts) -

Fully mappable controls.  I don't want your choice of couple different preset schemes.  I want to put the function I want on the button I want.  The only exception allowed is if a function needs analog control and so must be mapped to an analog button (stick or trigger).

Just recently with Child of Eden, I wanted to map the purple gun to one of the bumpers instead of the trigger because holding the trigger was fatiguing my finger.   I'm also not comfortable with that function being on the X button either.   Can I remap the functions for a fucking 2-button game?  No, Child of Eden tells me to go fuck myself with love and kindness.  It says I can go fuck myself with awesome preset scheme number 1 or totally awesome preset scheme number 2: THERE WILL BE NO OTHER OPTIONS.  D:

#64 Posted by Vodun (2365 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

What would give reason to not include a feature that lets you pause a cutscene?

Because they are prioritizing something more important to finish rather than spending development time on something which would be used by 10% of the audience 10% of the time.

(Percentages source: My ass)

#65 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -
@Grumbel said:
* have all languages the game was released in available (huge number of games fails at this, if disk space is an issue, offer downloadable speech pack)
I absolutely insist on having this feature. It's been standard for movies and series on DVDs for quite some time, but for some reason in many games it's almost as if it's a big secret that the game was originally in Japanese or whatever.
#66 Posted by Vodun (2365 posts) -

@ryanwho: It is a fairly obvious feature and the only two reasons I can imagine are that it's too difficult to implement (especially in something like a branching, non-linear RPG) and design choice. By design choice I mean they add those chores because they want to achieve a specific goal such as padding play time or appealing to the grinder demographic, and in these instances they wouldn't implement the feature even if it was feasible.

#67 Posted by EmuLeader (556 posts) -

Not all games need New Game Plus. But there is a definite style of game that benefits greatly from this. Usually single-player focused, linear games, that introduce different weapons throughout the entire game, usually with the most badass toward the end. Shadows of the Damned would have be a perfect fit, and its too bad its not included.

#68 Posted by Da_Madness (69 posts) -
@Siphillis said:
Dinosaurs.
This man speaks truth!
#69 Posted by Pyrgz (256 posts) -

late title cards

#70 Posted by HerbieBug (3840 posts) -
@Vodun said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Because they are prioritizing something more important to finish rather than spending development time on something which would be used by 10% of the audience 10% of the time.

Pause function requires meaningful development time and resources now?  Your suggestion that neglecting to work on cutscene pause function somehow equates to more time spent on "important" things is completely absurd. 
#71 Posted by JoeyRavn (4885 posts) -

If they're gonna force us to buy DLC to get the "complete story" of the game, at least they better give us a "Season Pass" like Rockstar did for LA Noire. I know DLC is (most of the time) completely optional, but that doesn't wash away the feeling of getting an incomplete product I get sometimes with certain games, such as AssBro, Alan Wake or the aforementioned LA Noire.

And if it's a PC game, FUCKING CUSTOMIZABLE GRAPHIC OPTIONS. I'm looking at you, Darksiders. It's absolute bullshit that in this day and age you can't tweak the shaders and shadows of a PC game, especially when it's a shoddy port of a console game that doesn't run as it should on a capable PC.

#72 Posted by Vodun (2365 posts) -

@HerbieBug said:

@Vodun said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Pause function requires meaningful development time and resources now? Your suggestion that neglecting to work on cutscene pause function somehow equates to more time spent on "important" things is completely absurd.

You know exactly how many man hours would have to be allocated to implement this function then? I don't want to blow your mind but; anything you allocate recourses to in a development process means you have fewer of those for something else. There is a finite number of man hours to spend within any dev team.

#73 Posted by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -
@Siphillis said:
Dinosaurs.
@Twitchey said:
Tits...
#74 Posted by CitizenKane (10501 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

@Siphillis said:
Dinosaurs.
@Twitchey said:
Tits...

This is just wrong on so many levels.

#75 Posted by Grumbel (910 posts) -
@HerbieBug said:
Pause function requires meaningful development time and resources now?  Your suggestion that neglecting to work on cutscene pause function somehow equates to more time spent on "important" things is completely absurd. 
The main reason is simply historical. Early games, NES era, had so short cut scenes that there was really little need to pause them and somehow that "click button to make cutscene go away" has been becoming a "that's how video games work" rule. All games used to work like this, so nobody wanted to try something different. There might also have been issues in early PS1 and PS-CDRom games where cutscene video was handled by third party player program, instead of the game code itself, and thus didn't actually allow layering a pause menu on top.

But yeah, in the end it is simply a historical accident and development time is really not the issue, as pause is really trivial to implement compared to everything else that happens in game development (having full forward and especially backward jumping in a cutscene however can be much harder and sometimes even impossible).
#76 Posted by Grumbel (910 posts) -
@DivineCC said:

@DivineCC: if publishers are gonna implement auto save, i think they should make it like Grand Theft Auto IV where you have an auto save file with a separate set of manual save files

Isn't that how most save systems already work?

In western RPGs, yes. In other genres, FPS games or Assassins Creed series. No, there you frequently only have one save game (and if that corrupts itself you are really fucked).
#77 Posted by BaneFireLord (2878 posts) -

Checkpoints during missions 
Fast travel (if it's an open world game) 

#78 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6077 posts) -
@Masha2932 said:
Most if not all of us have been playing games for a long time and there are basic things that all games should have regardless of genre. Hopefully we can make up a list. I'll start  All games should have:  1. Subtitles during cut-scenes and key dialogue sequences 2. Skippable cut-scenes 3. New game plus 4. Customisable controls or alternate control schemes
Great story, atmosphere and setting, a perquisite for a great game.
#79 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

Boobs. I 100% agree with you.

#80 Posted by Cwaff (1259 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

1. Pausable cutscenes

Anytime I am watching an important cut scene someone always interrupts and I am saddened when I cannot pause it.

#81 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@nintendoeats said:

@FluxWaveZ: That's definitely a tricky one, but I think I have an answer. Pausing a cutscene breaks flow.

If I can't pause cutscenes then I'm not going to see them, bad dialog and dodgy animations are less important to me than going to the bathroom or grabbing a drink or smoking a cigarette. Any designer who believes his "story" to be more important to a player than real-life concerns is shooting himself in the foot.

I'm just theorizing here. Let's say for example that you paused right before that chick died in FFVII. Then you come back and watch her die. That's a key part of some people's (not mine by any stretch) childhoods that would be diminished by broken cutscene flow. Again though, I'm just trying to say that it is theoretically possible for cut-scene pausing to be a bad idea.

#82 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -

Slappable wall boobs

#83 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19153 posts) -
@nintendoeats said:

@rebgav said:

If I can't pause cutscenes then I'm not going to see them, bad dialog and dodgy animations are less important to me than going to the bathroom or grabbing a drink or smoking a cigarette. Any designer who believes his "story" to be more important to a player than real-life concerns is shooting himself in the foot.

I'm just theorizing here. Let's say for example that you paused right before that chick died in FFVII. Then you come back and watch her die. That's a key part of some people's (not mine by any stretch) childhoods that would be diminished by broken cutscene flow. Again though, I'm just trying to say that it is theoretically possible for cut-scene pausing to be a bad idea.

Sure, but you have to understand that there are always external factors that can mess with your gaming experience. If you hear the doorbell, or the phone rings, or someone urgently calls you in another room and you were watching the cutscene where Aerith dies in FFVII, you'd miss her death altogether, making for an even lesser experience than just breaking the scene's flow. 

I agree that pausing certain cutscenes like the on you mentioned would potentially have less emotional impact than if you watched it straight through, but the option is needed for unpredictable moments when your attention towards the game comes in 2nd place to something else.
#84 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

1.Fully customisable controls
2.The option to pause a cutscene and then choose if you want to skip it entirely
3.If the game has multiplayer of any kind it should also have split-screen multiplayer

#85 Posted by jjnen (659 posts) -
@nintendoeats said:

@rebgav said:

@nintendoeats said:

@FluxWaveZ: That's definitely a tricky one, but I think I have an answer. Pausing a cutscene breaks flow.

I'm just theorizing here. Let's say for example that you weren't able to pause game right before that chick died in FFVIII. You have terrible diarrhea and shit your pants while she dies. That's a key part of some people's (not mine by any stretch) childhoods that would be diminished by having a explosive diarrhea shit in their pants. Again though, I'm just trying to say that it is theoretically possible for cut-scene pausing to be a good idea.

Anyways, I think that cut-scenes should be so good that they would glue the viewer to the tv untill the cut-scene is over and after that have a cigarette (or a shit).
#86 Posted by Spoonman671 (4371 posts) -

Universal rules like these generally aren't good ideas.  The features that are included in a game should be those that contribute to the design themes the developer is attempting to achieve.

It sounds great when we say something like, "all games should have frequent checkpoints," but that kind of feature would really disrupt the design of a game like Demon's Souls.

Of course there are some features that are harmless and whether or not they are included should be determined by way of resource management.

#87 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19153 posts) -
@imsh_pl said:
3.If the game has multiplayer of any kind it should also have split-screen multiplayer
That would be an absolutely horrible way to play Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood's multiplayer.
#88 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: Ok true, it wouldn't be as fun, but apart from that I feel like almost every game should have it. I know my buddy can see what I'm doing if I'm playing CoD on split screen with him; fuck it, it's still so much goddamn fun.
#89 Posted by RoyCampbell (1095 posts) -
@FancySoapsMan said:
Slappable wall boobs
GOT MILK?

*Ryan Davis sigh*
#90 Posted by crusader8463 (14305 posts) -
  • Being able to remap key binds.
  • Being able to remap key binds to extra mouse buttons.
  • Being able to play any game with the default controls of that platform and not need to use a third party device. 
  • Quick saves.
  • Adjust individual video settings and not just limit it to something like a wide sweeping low/medium/high.
  • Being able to adjust the size/cale of the UI and text on screen. While it's fine in most games, when I play something that has a lot of UI on screen at one time, mainly MMO's, I often times find that the text is too small to read. I have bad eye sight, and I have had to skip over several MMO's for a long time because they didn't have an option to scale the text and I just flat out couldn't read it.
  • I know all the reasons why not, but I would personally like all games to let me make a custom character or at least let me customize the look of the main character if it's a more linear game. I just can't seem to care about characters in games unless it's something I made.
#91 Posted by Gamer_152 (13970 posts) -

Pulsing rave music and constant screaming.

#92 Posted by MysteriousBob (6273 posts) -
@supermike6 said:
 - Anime cutscenes.
Fuck off. 
I already had to put up with that shit in SFIV.
#93 Posted by Getz (2954 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

There is always a good reason to not include any given feature.

There's never a good reason to have unskippable cutscenes.

#94 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@Getz: What if those cutscenes contained vital information that changed across multiple playthroughs?

#95 Posted by Hate_Machine (5 posts) -
@Masha2932 said:
4. Customisable controls or alternate control schemes
yes. specifically, I find it annoying in most games when R2 is used on PS3 to replace the right trigger, rather than R1
#96 Posted by JTB123 (1045 posts) -

Fully customisable controls.

I can deal with un-skippable cutscenes if every game had the above,

#97 Posted by Flabbergastrate (270 posts) -

@nintendoeats: You can pause movies. Regardless of how intense a cutscene is, emergencies are likely to come up, in which case someone may end up not watching something you as a designer worked hard to create because they have a kid, or because the pizza's arrived. Not being able to skip cutscenes wreaks of hubris.

#98 Posted by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -

Other than subtitles and skippable cutscenes, I can find reasonable excuses as to why every game doesn't have those features.

#99 Edited by theguy (796 posts) -
@Masha2932 said:

1. Subtitles during cut-scenes and key dialogue sequences   

But make sure they're optional. Sometimes I find myself reading the subtitles instead of looking at the characters face and I skip dialogue because I've read it already.(I've heard other people say this too) Really takes you out of the experience. 

Also split screen multiplayer. I miss you :'(
#100 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@Paperlink: The thing is that I agree with you in 99.9% of cases. In fact, I'm not saying that my scenario is an especially good excuse to not allow cutscene pausing. My point is simply that, no matter how universal something might sound, there will always be cases where it really doesn't apply. One could imagine more bizzare scenarios that stretch the definition of cut-scene. What if, for example, a game needs cutscenes to go one for a very specific length of time? I cannot of the top of my head think of a reason that this scenario might come up, but THAT would be a reason to not let people pause cutscenes.

And as for skippable ones, there are plenty of good reasons for that, both from design (see my previous example) and technical (Mortal Kombat anyone) standpoints.