• 124 results
#101 Posted by lazyartist (61 posts) -

cheeseburgers that restore your health

#102 Posted by JasonR86 (9578 posts) -

The ability to press any button to continue at a start screen.
A save anywhere feature, fuck checkpoints.
Sprint AND run capabilities.
Very few Multiplayer achievements/trophies.
Vivid colors unless the game is going for a unique look (like a black and white look).

#103 Edited by Flabbergastrate (272 posts) -

@nintendoeats: Even in the case you mentioned, I still think you should be able to pause it. I can't think of a reason a game would need cutscenes to play without stopping, unless it's trying to hide load screens. In which case the game could load while the scene was paused.

Most of my things "all games should have" are too specific, but most of the ones that involve understanding different audiences (subtitles for the hearing impaired and so on) seem obvious. I'd love to see every game contain multiple languages, but that's a dream I'm willing to give up for the sake of games actually coming out and fitting on as few disks as possible. Finally, most games could use a quick-save, though I can think a few instances where it's not necessary or counter-intuitive (most masocore platformers, arcade games).

#104 Posted by Getz (2986 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

@Getz: What if those cutscenes contained vital information that changed across multiple playthroughs?

I don't care if it contains the formula for eternal youth; I don't wanna be forced to watch something if don't want to.

#105 Posted by JackSukeru (5897 posts) -

Multiplayer! With team deathmatch and capture the flag.

Also: Quicksave! j/k quicksaving ruins games.

#106 Posted by Siphillis (1290 posts) -
@rebgav said:

@PenguinDust said:

@Siphillis said:
Dinosaurs.
@Twitchey said:
Tits...

Hell, I'd still hit it.

Don't you mean: "Blow it out Jurassic!"
#107 Edited by themangalist (1716 posts) -
CHEATS PLEASE. I seriously don't give a fuck about achievements. Have a logistic record like GTA, and I'd look up how many pedestrians I ran over, and Id say to myself, "what an achievement". This generation of games is too obsessed with the whole achievements thing and forgot about us kids who grew up turning on god mode and tramping over minions. Cheats are where the fun is at. We're seriously lacking the former (and latter) nowadays. 

@Paperlink
said:

@nintendoeats: You can pause movies. Regardless of how intense a cutscene is, emergencies are likely to come up, in which case someone may end up not watching something you as a designer worked hard to create because they have a kid, or because the pizza's arrived. Not being able to skip cutscenes wreaks of hubris.

I'm have a life, but when i sit down and play games, all i do is sit down and play games. I dont want no distractions. I want to experience the game to its fullest (most of the time). So I definitely agree with having a pause cutscene function in case my pizzas here. 

@Masha2932

said:

1. Subtitles during cut-scenes and key dialogue sequences 2. Skippable cut-scenes 3. New game plus 4. Customisable controls or alternate control schemes

Agree agree agree and agree. Subtitles ensure I can listen to the bombcast while I grind something that doesn't require my full attention.

Although New Game+ isn't really all that mandatory to the experience, I would much appreciate the feature. A lot of people play their games more than once, but there are also a lot of people like me who just can't play a game twice just cuz the experience had been experienced already. This especially when you invested so much on your character over 30 hours and you're so used to the all powerful character you built in the end... and having to start over as a weak fuck just turns me off whenever I think of replaying a game. Either let me select missions or new game plus. 

#108 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

@ryanwho said:

Not allowing me to skip a cutscene would be like a DVD not allowing me to choose a scene or fast forward. In a similar vien, games should catch up to DVDs from 10 years ago and allow people to choose to play a game from any given preset scene. Because they own the product. For people who think I should suffer through some shitty fetchquest to "earn" the part of the game I want to get to, attach achievements or some other meaningless thing to not skipping chapters. But a product should be about giving people the ability to experience what they want. I don't feel like "backtrack to 7 different areas and collect some mandatory shit so we can pad the playtime" is essential to my experience and I'm okay missing a fraction of the story by skipping it. The game should allow for that. Cus the alternative is giving up on the game completely.

Cliff Blezinski was recently talking about this very idea on Twitter and how he'd love to incorporate it.

#109 Posted by reddin (417 posts) -

All games should allow me to disable mouse acceleration without going into .ini files.

It annoys me that it has apparently become the standard to have it on by default, but that I then I have to close the game and mess around in the gamefiles to turn it off just pisses me off.

#110 Edited by HerbieBug (4189 posts) -
@Spoonman671 said:

Universal rules like these generally aren't good ideas.  The features that are included in a game should be those that contribute to the design themes the developer is attempting to achieve.It sounds great when we say something like, "all games should have frequent checkpoints," but that kind of feature would really disrupt the design of a game like Demon's Souls. 

Yep.  Although with Demon's Souls, there is one instance where I think an extra  archstone would be nice:  right next to the entrance fog for all boss fights.  No need for extra archstones even, just move the boss one in front of the fog instead of after it, thereby making the boss fight the effective beginning of the next level, as opposed to the end of the one you're on.  The reason is that many of the bosses can one shot you before you have any idea what the strategy for it is supposed to be.  Having to grind through upwards of 10 minutes of enemies to retry is an unnecessary burden upon my patience as a player, especially if I'm not using a walkthrough and require several attempts to figure out what I'm supposed to do.   -OR- simply make the level shortcuts closer to the boss entrance, that'd be fine too.  
#111 Posted by Cheesebob (1230 posts) -

Genital Warts

#112 Posted by Skytylz (4024 posts) -
@Kyle said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@nintendoeats said:

There is always a good reason to not include any given feature.

What would give reason to not include a feature that lets you pause a cutscene?

Yeah, I would have to disagree with that as well. Some things, such as pausing cutscenes, are always a good idea.

It destroys the flow and the creative integrity of the scene.  
#113 Posted by Flabbergastrate (272 posts) -

@Skytylz: Or, in some cases, make me miss the scene entirely.

#114 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19304 posts) -
@Skytylz said: 
Oh please, dude. Have you read the thread? Your point is so much weaker than what Nintendoeats was saying.
#115 Posted by Skytylz (4024 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Skytylz said: 
Oh please, dude. Have you read the thread? Your point is so much weaker than what Nintendoeats was saying.
Nope, it's six pages long and I only said that because on a car trip one time my friend's dad wouldn't let us skip the rest of the "Na Na Na"s at the end of "Hey Jude" because it would ruin the creative integrity of the song.  He was kinda joking too I think.  
#116 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

@Skytylz said:

@Kyle said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@nintendoeats said:

Yeah, I would have to disagree with that as well. Some things, such as pausing cutscenes, are always a good idea.

...sarcasm?

#117 Posted by Skytylz (4024 posts) -
@Kyle said:

@Skytylz said:

@Kyle said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@nintendoeats said:

...sarcasm?

Yeah.
#118 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

@Skytylz said:

@Kyle said:

@Skytylz said:

@Kyle said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@nintendoeats said:

...sarcasm?

Yeah.

Okay, cool. I'll just be over here feeling dumb if anybody needs me.

#119 Posted by DillonWerner (1522 posts) -

A good story.

#120 Edited by Grumbel (910 posts) -
@Spoonman671 said: 

"all games should have frequent checkpoints," but that kind of feature would really disrupt the design of a game like Demon's Souls. 

Checkpoints are something that is forced on the player, so yes, not all games should have them. However all games should have the ability quickload and quicksave. If the gamer doesn't like them, nobody is forcing him to use them. If the game designer doesn't consider them a good idea, he should tell that the player how he intended the game to be played (Amnesia does that at the beginning), not enforce it.  I'd also go a step further and offer unlimited ammo, invulnerability, etc. to the player as option. There is no reason why a game should stop at "Easy" difficulty and not provide additional aids for better accessibility. And it would of course be extra great if every game had a Braid like time rewind.

Simply put: There have been a lot hell of a lot of people who have given up on a game in frustration. I haven't heard of anybody ever giving up on a game because it offered cheats and quicksave.  A movie or book doesn't stop you from reading the last page/minutes of the story either, games shouldn't be different.
#121 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@Grumbel said:

@HerbieBug said:
Pause function requires meaningful development time and resources now? Your suggestion that neglecting to work on cutscene pause function somehow equates to more time spent on "important" things is completely absurd.
The main reason is simply historical. Early games, NES era, had so short cut scenes that there was really little need to pause them and somehow that "click button to make cutscene go away" has been becoming a "that's how video games work" rule. All games used to work like this, so nobody wanted to try something different. There might also have been issues in early PS1 and PS-CDRom games where cutscene video was handled by third party player program, instead of the game code itself, and thus didn't actually allow layering a pause menu on top. But yeah, in the end it is simply a historical accident and development time is really not the issue, as pause is really trivial to implement compared to everything else that happens in game development (having full forward and especially backward jumping in a cutscene however can be much harder and sometimes even impossible).

As you both obviously have many years of experience with project management I'll defer your greater knowledge. Too bad I've only ever worked with PLs who don't see things as you do and try to squash every little "outsider" idea which could compromise their time frame. Take for example Brad Muir's repeated reference to trying to kill the analogue controls for salutes in Trenched. That was probably a few hours work, nothing more.

#122 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Nudity.

#123 Posted by Masha2932 (1240 posts) -

Stat tracking-why ask me get 100 headshots without giving me a way to track my progress.

#124 Posted by Devoid (429 posts) -

Dodge rolls. I love me some dodge-rolling.

But seriously, subtitle options. Being able to pause/skip cut scenes I've already seen would be nice, too.