All of my games are gone.

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Today has to be the worst day of the freakin' year. After I got home from college and work today, I went to my room to chill and noticed something was missing. My whole old-school game collection was gone. Turns out, my father went through my room and cleaned out the garbage to make it easier to move to the new house in a week. I was like, hell fucking no. I literally had hundreds and hundreds of games, and owned almost every system ever. Atari, NES, Master System, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, PS1, N64, Dreamcast, Game Gear, Game Boy, GBA... and some obscure ones, like Virtual Boy and even an Intellivision. I had a huge cabinet dedicated to my gaming stuff. I was proud of my collection, and I still played these games from time to time. 

He told me he put it all in a big box and threw it in the attic. So.... we had a nasty argument, and now he said he's selling them. And if I go in the attic, I'll be kicked out of the house. Greeaaat.  

So, I really don't know what to do. My father can be a dick sometimes. He's really stubborn, and I probably won't get my stuff back. 

I'm a 20 year-old man, leave my shit alone.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Emandudeguyperson

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!! 

OH MY GOD!!!!!! 

Kill your dad! NOW! BUY A SHOTGUN!!!! 

But seriously, that is FUCKED UP, oh my god...

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Brunchies

Your dad is an asshole for taking all of your games and not asking you about it. If I was in your position, I would Kill HIM Right on the Spot or sue him and take away his house and kick him out of his own home. 

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Pibo47

Dude. Why are you 20 and living at home?

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By FrankCanada97
@Pibo47: This isn't exactly a buyers' market right now.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Shitty Wizard strikes again.

Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Emandudeguyperson

Why in FUCK would your dad take away things that make you happy???? Buy a bus ticket and  move to your grandma's or your aunt's (or whoever's) house for a while, and don't forget to take all of your games with you, make sure you leave really early. Holy shit, that sounds like trouble, but if I were in that position, that's what I would do.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheJollyRajah
@Pibo47 said:
" Dude. Why are you 20 and living at home? "
20 is not that old. I couldn't go afford college if I didn't live with them. 
Hats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Hats

Leave dont ever speak to him again other than to say put mum on the phone pls, when you call your parents.
When your mum dies tell him you wished he had died 1st so you didint have to see him again
then at age 50 when your son turns out to be gay shun him.

BE A MAN DAMIT!

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FrankCanada97
@TheJollyRajah: Don't worry, if your dad has no idea of who or where to sell them, they'll be safe.
Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Dude take it an leave.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By buzz_clik

Well, at least try to smooth it over enough (however begrudgingly) that he downgrades it back to keeping the stuff in the attic. There's the middle ground. If you're cool waiting until you get your own place to display your wares, at least you know where it all is.

I would, however, be furious if this had happened to me. I'm not going to pass total judgement, having not heard your dad's side or the entirety of what went down, but it sounds like a dick move.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FrankCanada97

I think legally, this amounts to theft.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Absurd

Fight your dad.

Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FrankCanada97: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THAT WOULD TURN OUT SO TERRIBLE!!! 

Oh wait, you were serious? 

Also, I think your dad might need money or something, that's probably why he wants to sell them.
cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By cinemandrew
@Khann said:
" The Shitty Wizard strikes again. "
...and as a result, I'm going to go listen to Idle Thumbs episode 50 again.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Pibo47 said:
What's wrong with living at home... Especially if he's schooling.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FrankCanada97
@Emandudeguyperson said:

" @FrankCanada97: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THAT WOULD TURN OUT SO TERRIBLE!!!  Oh wait, you were serious? "

Well, the father had the actus reus in taking away and keeping the games without his permission. Also, the fact that it seems like he has the intent to permanently deprive him of his games satisfies the mens rea. Actus reus + mens rea = crime committed. So yes, I am serious, he is guilty of theft.
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By beargirl1

what the fuck? are you serious? dude, that's not fair. 

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#20  Edited By delta_ass

As long as you live under his roof, you'll have to live by his rules.

I mean, Oedipus tried a different approach, but it didn't work out all that well.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By DanielJW
@Hats said:

" Leave dont ever speak to him again other than to say put mum on the phone pls, when you call your parents. When your mum dies tell him you wished he had died 1st so you didint have to see him again then at age 50 when your son turns out to be gay shun him. BE A MAN DAMIT! "

That is word for word how I plan to live my life.

@TheJollyRajah:  Sucks about your games. Hopefully your Dad cools off a bit and decides to let you keep them. If he doesn't; any of the suggestions already given and suggestions to come in this thread are perfectly valid responses. 
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iam3green

that sucks big time. those things can be worth a lot if they still work also.

Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FrankCanada97 said:
" @Emandudeguyperson said:
" @FrankCanada97: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA THAT WOULD TURN OUT SO TERRIBLE!!!  Oh wait, you were serious? "
Well, the father had the actus reus in taking away and keeping the games without his permission. Also, the fact that it seems like he has the intent to permanently deprive him of his games satisfies the mens rea. Actus reus + mens rea + crime committed. So yes, I am serious, he is guilty of theft. "
Oh man, if his dad went to jail for theft, wouldn't that be something??? Hahahaha
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FrankCanada97
@Emandudeguyperson said:

" @FrankCanada97 said:

Well, the father had the actus reus in taking away and keeping the games without his permission. Also, the fact that it seems like he has the intent to permanently deprive him of his games satisfies the mens rea. Actus reus + mens rea + crime committed. So yes, I am serious, he is guilty of theft. "
Oh man, if his dad went to jail for theft, wouldn't that be something??? Hahahaha "
I doubt it will go that far, I can see this going as far as arbitration. But I'm sure this can be settled amongst themselves.
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By DanielJW
@FrankCanada97 said:

Well, the father had the actus reus in taking away and keeping the games without his permission. Also, the fact that it seems like he has the intent to permanently deprive him of his games satisfies the mens rea. Actus reus + mens rea = crime committed. So yes, I am serious, he is guilty of theft. "
This man is correct. I don't know how laws work with parents, them living in the same home may be a factor. However since he's over 18 any rules involving parents probably don't apply any more. Even still, I don't think he wants to press charges on his Father, that'll definitely get him booted out.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King

Just tell him that he has no control over your possessions and he has no right to do that. If he gets pissed, just cite misanthropy. Or, even better, steal something dear to his heart and claim it as your own to sell. Again, if he gets pissed, turn the tables on him and say that if you don't get the games back, you sell his possessions and spend the money on a new TV that only you can use.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Adamantium

Take the games, hide 'em, then tell him you sold them yourself and you spent the money on books and tuition.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Jeust
@TheJollyRajah:  

Cheers to shitty weekends! 

Mine was lousy aswell...
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jeffgoldblum

When he put them in the attic why did you freak out instead of just asking for them back?
Also, if he has no idea how much those games are worth give me his number, I might buy them...

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By JJOR64

That sucks big penis dude.

wfolse1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By wfolse1

He'll kick you out if you go in the attic? hahahahahaha

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By guiseppe

If my dad did that to me and refused to give them back, I'd take his ass to court.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Seedofpower

tell a friend to buy them all and them give it back to you later. Unless he already sold it. then sorry duder.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By agentboolen

Yep it really is hard to keep onto those old games...  Wait till you get married and the wife tries to make you get rid of them just because she would rather have more "space"!  It sounds like you have a very big collection, get ready for many wars ahead.  Also your dad will realize most places wont offer you shit for old games and realize its a waste of time to even try.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By Luke
@TheJollyRajah: Man, just bring him home some beers and have a heart-to-heart with the man.  Don't argue or be confrontational with him.  Tell him how much you love electronics or something and how you have a mad passion for studying and collecting old video game systems, or something.  Ask him to please reconsider selling your stuff, but it can stay in the attic until you maybe move-out. 

I sold A LOT of my old games and systems (my NES + TURBOGRAFX-16 and like a 100+ games, for a $100 even) when I turned 19, because I was super broke.  I also tried to get rid of my SNES and Genesis, but luckily no one bought them and I still have them (along with everything above that).  Man, I wish I had my old NES and TURBOGRAFX-16 back with all my old memories :'(  
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36  Edited By Geno

Did you do anything to instigate this? Sounds kind of weird he would just do this out of the blue. 

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mordukai

MOVE OUT!

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RaikohBlade
@Delta_Ass said:
" As long as you live under his roof, you'll have to live by his rules.  I mean, Oedipus tried a different approach, but it didn't work out all that well. "
Didn't work out that well? That's the understatement of the year. The dude killed his father, slept with his mother (had a bunch of kids), then literally stabbed his own eyes into little pieces. His mother/wife killed herself, and he was banished from the city he once ruled over. 
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#39  Edited By delta_ass
@RaikohBlade said:
" @Delta_Ass said:
" As long as you live under his roof, you'll have to live by his rules.  I mean, Oedipus tried a different approach, but it didn't work out all that well. "
Didn't work out that well? That's the understatement of the year. The dude killed his father, slept with his mother (had a bunch of kids), then literally stabbed his own eyes into little pieces. His mother/wife killed herself, and he was banished from the city he once ruled over.  "

Right.
Minos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Minos

Dude, he's your Dad. You have no way to win if you get in his face and argue... Sit down and talk. Since you're moving you can probably get off your ass playing Dragon Age or any other game and help him out with some stuff, you know get on his good side. Sorry to say but your Dad has the upper hand because he is.... your Dad and he probably has stuff on his mind, because the way the economy is going all around the world everybody has stuff on their minds. He doesn't want to sell your stuff he has no idea what's in their or its value so he just doing it because he needs something from you, help, probably you know him better than anyone here so figure out a solution without confrontation. Confrontation is your videogames demise. Be smart. 

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#41  Edited By Geno
@Pibo47 said:
How do you pay for college without living at home unless your parents can spare you $60,000 a year? 
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I think he's bluffing about selling them, but that's still lame. However, it seems like you may be overreacting. Him moving them isn't such a big deal and shouldn't have turned into a nasty argument. He probably thought he was doing you a favor by storing the games and consoles in the attic. Sure, I suppose he shouldn't be moving your stuff around at your age, but it doesn't seem like something he did to be cruel, or they would instead be in the trash right now. I don't know the whole situation, but it might help if you apologize and work things out and don't try to get the games down without talking to him about it first. I think this is all a big misunderstanding.

impalerXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By impalerXZ

You people give terrible fucking advice.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By bubahula

its your stuff not his.  
also i think its just an excuse to keep you out of the attic...do you have a deranged twin chained up in there?
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I would threaten a lawsuit at a small claims court since it's your property. He has no right to sell stuff that doesn't belong to him. Or simply steal his watch or valuable possession and say if he wants it back, you better listen to your demands.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ShaunassNZ
@TheJollyRajah: Dude I know it sucks bad and your pissed at your Dad but go to him be a man apologise for being a dick to him (your only faking this remember, and your not the dick just go with it, OK.) ask if he may forgive you and give your stuff back as it means alot to you. Seriously this may work just don't suck up or anything, try and be as genuine as possible and he may see you as being an adult here, and not a little snot nosed punk and grant you with your collection.
ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ShaunassNZ
@HitmanAgent47: Shot bro hell kick him out of the house man some stupid advise here all it is, is confrontation and will go well I get my shit back by apologising and being a grown-up about the ordeal.
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#48  Edited By flaminghobo
@impalerXZ said:
" You people give terrible fucking advice. "
I don't see you doing any better.

I'd try and get a friend to buy your gaming collection from your dad, and then he gives them back to you and you give him his money back.
Mgsfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mgsfreak

I moved out over way smaller things than that, get a job and rent man. 
You will get along better too cause you'll never see him:D

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#50  Edited By mike
@TheJollyRajah said:
I'm a 20 year-old man, leave my shit alone. "
So move out