(Almost Mid-Year) Favorite Games So Far

• 84 results
Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Personally, I believe that 2016 has been a very strong year for video games thus far. Judging as so, I would like to take a tally of what other GB members think of the games which have been released up to the mid-point of 2016. So far, to me, the stand outs have been, in chronological order...

Salt & Sanctuary

Dark Souls III

DOOM

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

Granted that's only 4 games but that's more than I would typically like per ENTIRE year. What do the rest of the ladies and gentlemen of the GB community like so far in 2016?.

Here's to hoping that the rest of the year is as solid as the first half. PEACE!

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Dark Souls III

Stardew Valley

The Witness

Darkest Dungeon

Firewatch

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stardew Valley and Stellaris have been my favorites so far. Blood and Wine is also good.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I think the year started off great, but I've started to become less enthused about the year that is 2016. There are a bunch of games coming out that people are being underwhelmed by: Mighty No 9, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Homefront: The Revolution, etc... and that's not mentioning VR, which generally seems to have fizzled. Having said that, my top three so far is:

• The Witness
  • XCOM 2
  • The Banner Saga 2

Of course, this might change in a few days when Zero Time Dilemma comes out.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right now my order probably goes:

Doom

Stardew valley

Darksouls 3

Above all those goes Witcher 3, I know it's a 2015 game but I only picked it up for seriousness this year and holy shit so amazing.

And FF14 always gets a nod, that game consumes me

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takayamasama: I was big into FFXI during it's initial years and really found a lot of similarities in FFXIV. Unfortunately I work way too much to keep up with the top tier loot grind. Also I really want to check out Darkest Dungeon when it is released on PS4.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Stardew Valley

XCOM 2

The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine (yea I know it's a game from last year, but I'm Brad Dota2-Ing this)

Overwatch

BambamCZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Salt & Sanctuary
  • Stardew Valley
  • Stellaris
  • Darkest Dungeon

Stellaris being the most recent that I've got to play. Can't really decide which I'd say is the best so far, each of them being very different genre. Though I guess S&S or Stellaris could be the top contenders for 2016 so far.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overwatch. It's taken up way too much of my gaming time

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

• Overwatch - The game that pulled me back into multiplayer shooters.
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions - Only about 2 hours in, but already off to a very strong start. Definitely the most fun I've had with a jrpg in a while thanks in large part to the fact that the battle system isn't a clusterfuck of convoluted, arbitrary mechanics that feel as if they add nothing substantial to the gameplay.
  • Odin Sphere Leifthrasir - One of the best remasters ever (of one of the best games ever) in terms of the amount of work that went into it.
  • FFXIV - I hate this game, but I can't stop playing. Somebody send help. Please.
Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

If I had to make a rough top 10 right now, it'd include in roughly the order below:

• Doom
  • XCom 2
  • Uncharted 4
  • Overwatch
  • The Witness
  • Dark Souls III
  • Firewatch
  • Severed
  • Oxenfree
  • Ratchet and Clank

Doom is easily my Game of the Year so far. I'd struggle to lock 2-4 into some kind of order right now. There have been a few big disappointments (Hyper Light Drifter being the biggest for me along with the fiasco surrounding Street Fighter V's launch), but it has been a very strong year so far. I already feel like these 10 could rival my top 10 games from last year.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By Zevvion

My list so far:

1. XCOM 2
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Fire Emblem Fates
  4. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
  5. Clash Royale

I have yet to play Salt & Sanctuary though, which I assume will make it up there. Also played The Witness and Darkest Dungeon but I don't really like them.

As for DLC:

1. April Update - Destiny
  2. Alien Hunters - XCOM 2

I'm not sure I played more DLC... I don't think so. I need to keep better track of what the hell I'm doing. Still looking to play Shipwrecked and The Following here.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

So far for me, in no particular order:

• Doom
  • Overwatch
  • XCOM 2
  • Severed
  • Stardew Valley
  • Uncharted 4

There's still plenty I haven't played yet, but going by this list it's already been a year for the ages.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easily the best 4 games so far for me are:

• The Witcher 3 - Blood and Wine
  • DOOM
  • Hitman
  • Total War: Warhammer

Honorable Mentions that fall shy of being great:

• Dark Souls III
  • Overwatch

Would be favourite if the fucking game worked:

• Street Fighter V
spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

Uncharted 4

The Witness

Doom

Firewatch

Garden Warfare 2

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zevvion

I am now going to attempt to break the fun you guys are having because it's the right thing to do and everyone likes a party crasher (+1).

I don't think you should add DLC to your 'best games of x-year' list. The game didn't release that year, first of all. You're just playing additional content for a game that already existed in a prior year. Secondly, at some point this would make MMO's and frequently updated games eligible every single year. If you already picked that game in a previous year, then it's just mere logic that you'll most likely take it again this year, if not very close to it. You're often engaging with the same game mechanics or structure that you fell in love with in the first place. Nothing, or very little is new there. It's most often just more stuff. Which means if I played have of the Witcher last year and continued playing The Witcher this year, my experience enjoying content for the first time is comparable to yours finishing the Witcher last year and playing its DLC this year.

In short, you're playing something new but it's not a new game. I think a better way to do it would be to create a separate best DLC list.

Obviously not saying how you should do things, just something to think about. I'm doing it this way because the types of games I really like are often updated and become even better. This means I'd have the exact same 7 games on my top 10 list every single year. That's a bit of a bummer and not showcasing the games I liked that were actually released that year.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

#18  Edited By L33T_HAXOR
  • The Witness is my game of the year so far.
  • I really, really liked "The Count Lucanor" and it's frustrating to see no one talking about it... Its a fantastic little action-adventure game (Link)
  • HITMAN
  • SUPERHOT
  • Hyper Light Drifter
  • And I liked the Overwatch beta, but not enough to buy the game.
  • EDIT: Also, The Witcher 3 finally clicked for me this year and I'm really looking forward to playing the DLC when I have time
ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Witcher 3 Blood and Wine is the best thing I've played this year (2/3 through... outstanding stuff).

Then:

Stardew Valley

XCOM 2

Hitman

I bet DOOM and Total Warhammer are high on my list. Haven't bought them yet cause I'm poor. But DOOM is cheap right now so may grab that.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Overwatch

Dark Souls 3

DOOM

Uncharted 4

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overwatch

Firewatch

Uncharted 4

All three of those games were a lot of fun. I'm also enjoying Doom so far but am not far enough in to really rate it yet. I would give an honorable mention to Far Cry Primal, but I fell off of that before the end (though I intend to go back.) I put in a solid 15 hours though, and for me that's more than enough to justify a purchase.

Do you have to finish the main story of a game for it to be one of your favorites? Especially when what's good about the game isn't really the story? Far Cry games tend to distract me with all their side quests and then I lose steam before the story's done, but I enjoy the time I spend with them. It's just that they tend to pack 15 hours of fun stuff to do into a 25 hour campaign.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Exactly what you'd expect.

Dark Souls 3, Overwatch, The Witness, Doom

Said it before and I'll say it again, 2015/2016 might be the best subsequent years in video games, IMO. 2017 is slowly starting to look promising, too.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Sessh

My current favourite and probably my GOTY in the end too (depending on how Deus Ex turns out) is Overwatch.

Also great and in no particular order as of yet:

Dark Souls 3

Stellaris

Doom

Stardew Valley

Fire Emblem Fates

The Witness

Salt and Sanctuary

Really good year for games so far.

@zevvion I completely agree with you. Never liked that kind of thinking.

If you want to include DLC or an old game/port do it in an extra list/section. Otherwise you'll just go the Brad DOTA2/Destiny route and let's be honest: no one wants that.

PS: The Witcher DLC is great.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Dark Souls III
  • Salt and Sanctuary
  • The Witness
  • Firewatch
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Said it before and I'll say it again, 2015/2016 might be the best subsequent years in video games, IMO.

What about 1993/1994? Doom, Doom II, System Shock, Super Metroid, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Donkey Kong Country, Warcraft, X-Com, Link's Awakening, SimCity 2000, etc...

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I often only get to games months or years after they release, so often i ignore the rules and put whatever i played that year down regardless of when it came out.
So with that in mind.

Hacknet
The Witcher 3
Painkiller: Black Edition
Assassins Creed: Syndicate
Onechanbara Z2: Chaos

I did play DOOM, but due to certain design decisions it is not on this list.

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By CcFfBb
Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Dark Souls 3, Odin Sphere, Overwatch,

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait... you'd normally only like 3 games a year?

Rodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rodin

There have been a bunch of great games out this year so far,

Doom

hyper light drifter

overwatch

uncharted

firewatch

Their are others but I either haven't played them or I cant remember them right now. but honestly my favourite game this year so far, and by a pretty big margin would be VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action, maybe this game came out at the right time in my life/year, but I haven't enjoyed anything as much as i enjoyed this game in ages.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: None of that really matters when Blood and Wine still the best game product I've played that has released this year. If a game is a year old and engaging with the same mechanics again a year later but with a fresh coat of paint is still more impressive than fully new released games then I'd say that is deserving of being listed.

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Lets see...first there is a list of games that have come out that I have not played yet:

• Overwatch
  • Uncharted 4
  • Oxenfree
  • The Witness

Now games that I have played

1. DOOM
  2. FireWatch
  3. Ratchet and Clank
  4. Enter The Gungeon

Now I will add Stardew Valley to this list when it comes to Mac without having to run Wine
OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By OurSin_360

Xcom 2 - game of the year so far and i haven't even gotten to the end game lol

Stellaris - Very fun real time strategy/4x game, that does a real good job of making you feel like expanding in an unexplored universe. Diplomacy and the influence system need major work though, and the ship builder seems like a crap shoot as you have no clue what type of ships your enemy has with the rock paper sissors thing going on. Can't deny it's the best space 4x game i've played since i started trying them out this year, Galciv3 and endless Space being the only competition though.

Uncharted - An alright uncharted game which struggled mightily with some very poor pacing but the actors still really shine and their ad-libing makes everything still feel genuine. It was an ok conclusion but i think 3 did pretty much the same thing but better, just too much slow walking and hitting x.

Doom- Very good shooting mechanics, pretty boring everything else IMO. Maybe i'll get back to it

Dark souls 3 - Had issues with input lag that really derailed me for a while, and then i got to a part where i struggled like no other souls game before and haven't been back. But it's still dark souls and will probably end up being Number 2 on my list when i get back it.

Salt and Sanctuary - Bought it but haven't jumped full in yet as i'm scared it'll mess up my muscle memory for dark souls 3 lol. Seems really good though

I think that's about all the new games i've played this year, everything else is from last year and beyond. I'm really into 4x games right now, especially space stuff as i've been looking for something to scratch my star trek itch since i was 6. Also turned based strategy, i've yet to jump deep into darkest dungeon or invisible inc.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By nightriff

I've only beaten witness and uncharted 4 from this year and it's a toss up. Liked both games, enjoyed both games, but no strong feelings that wouldn't be over come by other games that will come out or ones I'll get to eventually. Building a computer has put a lot of games on hold because I just say to myself wait and play them on the beast in the future rather than the current one

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Zevvion

@ivdamke said:

@zevvion: None of that really matters when Blood and Wine still the best game product I've played that has released this year. If a game is a year old and engaging with the same mechanics again a year later but with a fresh coat of paint is still more impressive than fully new released games then I'd say that is deserving of being listed.

Sure. Each can use their own definitions/ruleset. For me though, when I go by how much I played a game or how many times I finished it or if they updated it and I kept playing, I just know I'd have the exact same games in my top 10 list for years on end. It's probably a little more rare of an occurrence for you which is why it works for you. For me, it would be downright silly.

@oursin_360 by something do you also mean anything? I realize the chance is slim you haven't played it but if you're looking for a Star Trek itch-scratch you have to play Mass Effect.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Quantum Break, Dark Souls, Doom, Salt and Sanctuary are the locks on my top 10 list so far.

Uncharted was hit or miss for me, and I haven't started Odin Sphere yet. But a good year so far.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

1. The Witness

2. Overwatch

I'm going to have more "fun" playing Blood and Wine, and Darks Souls III, but the many emotions the Witness put me through will undoubtedly cement it as my GOTY.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Dark Souls III

2. Rise of the Tomb Raider (PC)

3. Uncharted 4

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

If I had to pick a GOTY now I would most likely vote for DOOM? I dunno. Its a close close race between DOOM and Overwatch and I'm not sure what one I like more.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 4 and The Witness are the ones that have stuck out so far to me.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XCOM 2

Fire Emblem Fates

Overwatch

Hitman

Dark Souls III

Bawanga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 4

Witcher 3 Blood and Wine (does this count?? )

Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

1. VA-11 HALL-A

2. Overwatch

3. Dark Souls III

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Witcher 3 DLC seems like it's probably going to be GoTY for me, though including Hearts of Stone.

Uncharted 4, Dark Souls 3, Salt and Sanctuary, Division, Dead Star, few others. Going through Suikoden II atm that'll probably make the list. Also VLR sequel momentarily.

I'll have to see how good Doom is, probably going to get to it before the end of the year.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By BoOzak

So far:

• Salt & Sanctuary (preferred it to DS3 but would've liked more metroid and less souls)
  • Starfox Zero (overpriced but I enjoyed it)
  • Odin Sphere (not too far in but i'm liking it so far)
  • Uncharted 4 (a bit too plodding at times but still great overall)
  • Dark Souls 3 (a by the numbers sequel that does it's job)
  • Doom (wore thin by the end but half of the game is alright)

Holding out hope for:

• Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  • Dishonored 2
  • Nioh
  • Shadow Warrior 2
  • Titanfall 2

And maybe The Last Guardian and Call of Duty will be okay (I never thought i'd put those two games in the same sentence) but i'm very caustiously optimistic.

It's been an alright year for games so far but none of them are better than any of my top five games of last year. Granted the other five wernt that great.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BoringK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

• Doom
  • Superhot
  • Firewatch
  • The Witness
  • Offworld Trading Company

I wish I could put XCOM 2 on this list but I got hung up on one mission and haven't played it in months. I really want to go back to it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: mass effect was great but it hit more of a star wars vibe for me, and kotor already scratched that one lol.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ivdamke

@zevvion:I see what you mean but I feel like Blood and Wine is a special case. Off the top of my head there's literally no game in the past decade (or more) that has an expansion with as much content at that level of quality as Blood and Wine for that price. I would apply your logic to Hearts of Stone however which has plenty of new stuff and is of fantastic quality but it's no where near as substantial in content, it feels like an addon. If Blood and Wine had a combat overhaul and expanded upon the general quest loop design they could've charged full price for that thing. Hell, I finished DOOM twice and did every possible thing you could do in it and it still fell short about 12 hours of a single playthroughs playtime of Blood and Wine. When I rate both games equally in quality then it's a no brainer to include it for me.