Am I the only one that thinks the current era is the best?

• 83 results
Avatar image for shoulderholster
ShoulderHolster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ShoulderHolster

Disclaimer: I am pretty much talking about console gaming in this thread.  

So many people seem to pine for other gaming eras and it always puzzles me. Sure, there are few annoyances in this ear like some of the DLC scams and what not, but IMO, this era's game development has a level of polish, confidence, incricate visual design (Bioshock is a great example of this) and game design sophistication that surpasses the others.   

The SNES/Genesis era is home to many of the greatest games of all time (Super Metroid anyone?) but this era is filled with an insane amount of shovelware that you just don't see today. The SNES/Genesis era seems to be an era of extremely high highs and very low lows. There was just so much CRAP on the market back then. Also, let's not forget how cheap game design could be back then.

The N64/PS1 era is probably the era that has aged the worst. It's a transition phase, so there's many games that are revolutionary (Ocarina of Time, MGS1 for example) but there's a general air of awkwardness to that whole era. For instance, play some of the games were considered to be the pinnacle of their genres back then and you'll see just how far gaming has come. Goldeneye is considered to be one of the greatest FPS games of all time but if you play it today, well...let's just say that it hasn't aged that well. Some games that were considered to be just great back then like Syphon Filter and Twisted Metal 2 come off as peices of junk when played now. If you don't believe me, download Syphon Filter the PSN store and behold the horrific enemy AI.  That being said, some of those games have aged incredibly well. Ocarina of Time is one such example.

The PS2/GC/Xbox era is way closer to this era in overall quality and polish and I find that the games from that era have aged pretty well, but the full potential of concepts realized in this era are much more fully realized in the era that came after. The PS2/GC/Xbox era introduced the concept of a living breathing city in the form of Grand Theft Auto III but regardless of what you think of GTA IV, the living breathing city in that game makes GTAIII's living breathing city look pretty dead and plastic-like. A similar argument could be made for many franchises. The MGS games on PS2 delivered an extremely cinematic experience but the cinematic aspects are much more fully realized in MGS4 with flawless transitions from gameplay to cinematics and the like.

Anyway, I've had my say. What say you?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

You need to look again. There is as much, if not more shovelware now than there was back in the SNES days. Back then we didn't get the opportunity to focus on only the top releases like we can today, and as such we forget just how many worthless games come out for all consoles. Each generation has had its highs and lows and this one is no different. I think it will still be quite a while before we can compare this generation to others objectively. 

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Hamst3r

I'm answering based off the title alone: No, you're not the only one. I'm enjoying games now more than ever. For me, games have continued to get better year after year. I still love the older stuff, but we've made so many advancements in graphics, sound, storytelling, physics, etc. All of that matters to me. I'm not a, "gameplay is everything" gamer. I'm more of an immersion gamer, I guess - I want richer and more impressive experiences and worlds, more so than new game mechanics - and games have continued to improve in that regard. STALKER, Mass Effect, Dead Space, Crysis, Cryostasis and such...these games drew me in something fierce. I didn't get that in the 8-bit and 16-bit days. It's not about realism either - the worlds don't have to be "photo-realistic" or set in our reality, just believable.

This is all just me thinking aloud, so it's probably a bit wonky, but yeah, games are getting better for me.
ShoulderHolster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShoulderHolster
@AgentJ said:

"You need to look again. There is as much, if not more shovelware now than there was back in the SNES days. Back then we didn't get the opportunity to focus on only the top releases like we can today, and as such we forget just how many worthless games come out for all consoles. Each generation has had its highs and lows and this one is no different. I think it will still be quite a while before we can compare this generation to others objectively.  "

Well, I'm not talking about just "worthless games". I'm talking about "broken games." There were alot more of those back then. 

Also, I never disupted that all generations have their highs and lows. I'm just differentiating between the degrees. I don't subscribe to the "all eras are the same" mentality. There's definitely a difference in general quality. Quality seems to be much more spread out nowadays whereas back then it seemed much more concentrated.
ShoulderHolster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ShoulderHolster
@Hamst3r said:
"
I'm answering based off the title alone: No, you're not the only one. I'm enjoying games now more than ever. For me, games have continued to get better year after year. I still love the older stuff, but we've made so many advancements in graphics, sound, storytelling, physics, etc. All of that matters to me. I'm not a, "gameplay is everything" gamer. I'm more of an immersion gamer, I guess - I want richer and more impressive experiences and worlds, more so than new game mechanics - and games have continued to improve in that regard. STALKER, Mass Effect, Dead Space, Crysis, Cryostasis and such...these games drew me in something fierce. I didn't get that in the 8-bit and 16-bit days. It's not about realism either - the worlds don't have to be "photo-realistic" or set in our reality, just believable.This is all just me thinking aloud, so it's probably a bit wonky, but yeah, games are getting better for me. "
I'm exactly the same way.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By Seppli

I believe the next generation will be better than the current generation. I need games in general to finally live up technically to 2007's benchmark game - Crysis! Everytime I think about Crysis, I feel like we are stuck in the past.

Otherwise yes - the current generation's games are freaking awesome.

BUT: The golden age of JRPGs happend on the SNES and Squaresoft was king of my world.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Jambones

Games have become more complicated to produce, I am sure, and it's fantastic that they can patch it if necessary, but titles from older gens were a complete package: A cartridge or disc with a complete, working game on it. 

/bitterly bemoaning DLC and Patching.

Having said that, there is no doubt that game quality has sky-rocketed.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By SeriouslyNow

This is era is big, brash, well marketed and boldly lit by neon lighting.  There's the sound of many cash registers ringing away into the night and the moans of grumbling fans being stuck in ever lengthening lines.  There's even more coverage of games now as news items than there ever have been with the Jack Thompson fiascos, the hot coffee dramaz and the news that us poor Aussies are being held at the mercy of a South Australian turd burgler masquerading as a right wing zealot but in no way is this the best era of gaming

That, dear fiends and co conspirators was the 80s when the Commodore 64 was king birthing the first ever MMO made by LucasFilm games "Habitat", the ZX Spectrum was crap but Rare, then called ULTIMATE saved it time and again with one great 8 bit monochrome hit after another while we both giggled incessantly at the Amstrad CPC and it's fucking weird 3" disks which went the way of dodo.

In those days there were so many original ideas that the market literally grew exponentially with each week.

And still in this post modern age where the fighting game, along with every genre, has reinvented itself over and over, adding more buttons and moves with each generation cycle single, not one single fighting game has ever matched the simplicity and complex mastery that Archer Maclean's International Karate + achieves with eight directions and one single, solitary, some might even say lonely button.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Like AgentJ pointed out, there's a tremendous amount of shovelware today. I can't imagine there being less today than there was back in the SNES/Genesis era. While it's spread across all consoles, the DS and Wii seem to be the biggest dumping grounds for companies trying to cash in on a quick buck. It's really disappointing how rampant it is and how many people buy into it. 

I definitely don't think the PS1/N64 era was the best, though with the PS1, it really seemed to push games further into the mainstream and make them more accepted worldwide. I agree that it was an important transition phase, and while much of it no longer holds up, many important leaps were made that helped turn games into what they are today. 

Last gen had a lot of quality titles to be sure and I think it really expanded games in scale, but looking at your post, it's as if you're basing this all just on how well the games hold up today, and I don't quite think that's fair. 6 years ago I played Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and thought it was phenomenal. 5 years later I tried playing it again and found that it seemed so incredibly dated. The truth is.. this will continue to happen. Even with this gen, believe it or not. Though the extent to which we experience this will no doubt continue to diminish, but still it's inevitable. It's hard to imagine it, but in 10 years we will look back at this gen's games and they'll feel  old and unimpressive to us. Sure, many believe graphics will only be able to improve so much more, but if the graphics hold up, surely there will be other things that don't after so many years. Still, despite all that, I think this gen has been pretty excellent so far. It's a little early to call it the best, but it's still certainly possible. 

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By shirogane

Games this generation seem WAAAAAY too focused on graphics. Back in the older gens, graphics weren't such a big thing, cause it was pretty much all 16bit pixels. 

Most of the 'top' games lately have just been eye candy essentially. The gameplay is good and not broken, but the graphical quality is really high. Older games were all pretty much the same graphics wise, and so people focused on making their game good by trying to implement gameplay stuff.
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By flaminghobo

This is the only generation of gaming that I've truly been able to understand and comprehend, due to my age.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By natetodamax
@FlamingHobo said:
" This is the only generation of gaming that I've truly been able to understand and comprehend, due to my age. "
This.
Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By Atlas
@FlamingHobo: Word. Maybe I've just developed at the right time, but I played Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time back in the day and other games and never felt compelled to keep playing them. I really liked them conceptually, but the gameplay never drew me in. Four ago I could count on one hand all the games I had beaten, and most of my time was spent on sports games and racing games. To think now that I'm an RPG pureblood (RPG's have been my game of the year three of the past four years), and a game can engage me for 50 hours rather than 5, it's been a dramatic shift, almost a metamorphosis.

This issue is all about perspective, but trying to approach it objectively, you can definitely make an argument that game quality control has increased substantially in the past ten years, and far fewer games are shipped with major bugs. Sure, it still happens, but then again we now have the capacity to fix games through patches. I also think you can't deny how much of a difference gaming going online has made, whether it's through digital distribution, patches and demos, competitive multiplayer, or widespread easily accessible journalism. It's much easier to know what are the best games and what are the duds - without paying for a Game Informer or EGM every month.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Jeust
@SeriouslyNow said:

" This is era is big, brash, well marketed and boldly lit by neon lighting.  There's the sound of many cash registers ringing away into the night and the moans of grumbling fans being stuck in ever lengthening lines.  There's even more coverage of games now as news items than there ever have been with the Jack Thompson fiascos, the hot coffee dramaz and the news that us poor Aussies are being held at the mercy of a South Australian turd burgler masquerading as a right wing zealot but in no way is this the best era of gaming

That, dear fiends and co conspirators was the 80s when the Commodore 64 was king birthing the first ever MMO made by LucasFilm games " Habitat", the ZX Spectrum was crap but Rare, then called ULTIMATE saved it time and again with one great 8 bit monochrome hit after another while we both giggled incessantly at the Amstrad CPC and it's fucking weird 3" disks which went the way of dodo.

In those days there were so many original ideas that the market literally grew exponentially with each week.

And still in this post modern age where the fighting game, along with every genre, has reinvented itself over and over, adding more buttons and moves with each generation cycle single, not one single fighting game has ever matched the simplicity and complex mastery that Archer Maclean's International Karate + achieves with eight directions and one single, solitary, some might even say lonely button."

I don't particulary recall that timeframe, as i was too young back then, but if i were more conscious i think i'd might agree with you.

@Shirogane

said:

" Games this generation seem WAAAAAY too focused on graphics. Back in the older gens, graphics weren't such a big thing, cause it was pretty much all 16bit pixels.  Most of the 'top' games lately have just been eye candy essentially. The gameplay is good and not broken, but the graphical quality is really high. Older games were all pretty much the same graphics wise, and so people focused on making their game good by trying to implement gameplay stuff. "

I agree with you. 

Most games nowadays use the same if not a slightly tweaked version of the same gameplay perfected in other generations, while graphics have really become impressive. This generation is more concentrated on eye-candy even because gamers are more demanding, better informed and deciding on their purchases based on demos and trailers, things that in earlier generations there wasn't a lot of demand for. Gameplay while necessary, while we're on the gaming industry, it doesn't sell nearly as many points as it sold before. Now it's all about the crisp visuals.

Truth that multiplayer was fully realized in this generation with games, impossible in any other, but as i'm not a big fan of multiplayer. Someone that puts a lot of emphasis on it, might think otherwise... 

Nor a glad purchaser of DLC, as, though i had fun with it, never had an amazing experience coming from it.

And the technical prowess of the hardware and software allow today very impressive gaming experiences. Games like Fallout 3, Elder Scroll Oblivion, Dead Space, Star Wars The Force Unleashed, Half Life 2 and L4D were impossible in any other generation. 

But isn't that the benefit of evolution in gaming?

From one generation to the other, games evolved allowing more intricate designs, ideas, and experiences. From 8 bit to 16 bit. 16 to 32 and 64, 64 to 128, 128 till this one. Games never stopped evolving one way or the other.

Given that...

And the fact that this generation despite what the OP says has seen a lot of average and weak games, not only on the Wii, like Rogue Warrior, Stormrise, Halo Wars, Lair, Godfather, Golden Axe, Turning Point, Too Human, Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom, Damnation, Fracture, Haze...

I'd say based on the fun factor, the 128 bits one with the ps2, xbox, gamecube and gameboy advance, was the best. I played all i wanted to heart's content.  Games like Persona 3 and 4, Shadow Hearts, Black, Half-Life, Resident Evil 4, Silent Hill 2, Dragon Ball Budokai Tenkaichi, Fatal Frame, Pikmin, Super Smash Brothers Melee, Eternal Darkness, Ninja Gaiden, Golden Sun, Castlevania: Circle of the Moon...

Now games are overpriced, and even a weak game costs a 60-70$ at launch, making me much more warry of the qualities i want in games, and quality in general, so i've seen better in my opinion.
JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15  Edited By JonathanMoore

SNES Era I personally think did the best, however I am more familiar and play a lot more of the 8-Bit era, growing up with a Sega Master System and a NES.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By immike

I don't think that the current era is best, but it is the most accessible. I've tried playing a ton of older games only to like a few of them. Zelda OoT was one that I could not like as much as I tried. If I played it upon its release, it may have been a different story.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By ZenaxPure

I am rather torn, I quite like this generation of games because I have started to branch out and play games I wouldn't in the past because of terrible controllers/tech issues/etc, but at the same time I do not enjoy how a large portion of RPG development has moved to the handheld consoles for various reasons. The PS2 was an RPG powerhouse, but no home console has came close to or probably will come close to matching that this gen of games for various reasons.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Diamond

I don't think the current era of gaming is bad at all.  I feel that pure action games are consistently higher quality than ever before in gaming history.  If you take something like Lost Planet or Bayonetta and put it up against the action games of any previous generation, you can see how far we've come.  I think the same can safely be said for sports games, probably first person shooters (overall game quality), racing games...

Graphics are significantly less of a focus in gaming than ever before in gaming history.  Look at Wii or popular PC games like WoW.

Still, I think the early 90's were the peak of gaming.  You had Nintendo and Sega in their game developing primes.  Chrono Trigger came out, Tie Fighter came out, the original Doom (which I still hold to be the best playing FPS of all time), Wing Commander, Secret of Mana, Zelda Link to the Past, Super Mario World...  The list of all time classics goes on and on.  I feel like back then the budgets of games allowed more focus on gameplay innovation and quality.  They didn't have to cater to any non-traditional gamer market (all games were designed for the same hardcore gamers that WERE the market).

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho

Well I'm not 12 anymore, so this era doesn't stand a chance of beating my memories.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By penguindust

Having seen every generation to date, I believe that each new generation of gaming is always better than the last.  Yesterday, I made a List for my best games ever, and while they tend to cover gaming back to 1980, I still fervently affirm that whatever generation that you are experiencing is the best.  Too often people are colored by the context of their gaming education.  In other words, the nostalgia of growing up and playing those games makes them seem better than then what they were or how they measure up over time.  I'm not saying that old games aren't as worthwhile as current games.  Again, my list clearly states otherwise.  I am saying that the climate of development and the hope each new announcement brings is more exciting than where we've been.  I have no desire to return to the past and be stuck playing just the games of the 4th generation or even the previous one (6th).  I eagerly anticipate what the 8th generation will bring.  Until then, this is a great time to be a gamer.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Hell, the sales figures alone show the current era to be the best one yet.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mordukai
@Lind_L_Taylor said:

" Hell, the sales figures alone show the current era to be the best one yet. "

Sales doesn't necessarily mean it's better. It just means that there are more people gaming then the previous one.  

@ShoulderHolster:  
The best ear in console games was the PS1/N64 era because that's when games moved to 3D environments and most of the gameplay elements, that games still use this day, were set. Games really haven't changed much since that era. True they have better graphics and the gameplay elements are much more polished but if you think about there wasn't that much of a progress since games shifted from 2D to 3D. That's also the era where game developers started seeing the potential in not only making a game for gaming sake but also as a story telling medium. The last 10 years were really just them polishing and perfecting what they discovered back then. 
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@Mordukai said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:

" Hell, the sales figures alone show the current era to be the best one yet. "

Sales doesn't necessarily mean it's better. It just means that there are more people gaming then the previous one.  

But that's exactly what a sales figure tells you: games are more attractive in quality, so people are buying more of it.  If it all sucked, then they wouldn't be buying it.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24  Edited By Geno

Anything based on technology always gets better over time. Most people who prefer the past are usually way too nostalgic, misinformed about the current gen, or simply delusional.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By toowalrus

Well, I'm playing the best games I've ever played this gen, gaming is absolutely better than it's ever been.

therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By therabidfrog
@Geno said:
" Anything based on technology always gets better over time. Most people who prefer the past are usually way too nostalgic...
I'll agree up to that point. I prefer games now back to when I was a kid. I remember I found my top loader Nintendo not that long ago and me and my buddies went out and bought all our old favorites, and were shocked at how many of these games didn't hold up. I don't want to spend 6 weeks playing a two hour game because the whole thing is pattern memorization. Lets also not forget that games are cheaper now than used to be. Mario 2 was like 100 smackers when it first came out.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Brendan
@Shirogane said:
"Games this generation seem WAAAAAY too focused on graphics. Back in the older gens, graphics weren't such a big thing, cause it was pretty much all 16bit pixels.  Most of the 'top' games lately have just been eye candy essentially. The gameplay is good and not broken, but the graphical quality is really high. Older games were all pretty much the same graphics wise, and so people focused on making their game good by trying to implement gameplay stuff. "

You must not have be old enough to remember the "old days" because there was once a time when a hell of alot of dev time was spent developing/producing 16 bit games.  Just because it looks simple today does not mean that it took a back seat to gameplay in the slightest. Listen to the emails for thispast weeks podcast, it expands on what I'm saying here. 
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TwoOneFive

yeah i think this is hte best gen ever.  

but it should be right? 

not if you take into account the leaps and bounds in technology that has been made, i think the last gen, and maybe the snes/genesis gen were the best. 

AlfredCapone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AlfredCapone
This is my fav 'Gen' so far
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrKlorox

They continue to get better and better with each one. I'm pretty excited for next gen, even though this one's just half way over.

But I have a bit more nostalgia of the SNES gen right now, making it my favorite past generation.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

No. 

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ArchScabby

You probably are the only one, most people are completely blinded by nostalgia to have a logical answer about favorite things.  That's why people's favorite things are usually old.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Up until now, the era I've been in is always the best one. I loved the PS2 over the PS, I loved the PS over the SNES/Genesis, and so on and so forth. And, yes, I like the XBOX360 and the PS3 over the PS2. It's inevitable that we'll enjoy the games we play now more than the ones from past generation. There are only a few games that are always worth going back to play - Max Payne 2, the God of Wars, Metal Gear Solid 2, Resident Evil 4, Need for Speed Most Wanted and Underground 2 (that's just me, I really enjoyed those games and do play them repeatedly) - just off the top of my head. Only a select few would make my list. I'm not going to go back and play Yakuza. I'm not going to go back and play Jak and Daxter. I'm not going to go back and play Halo 2. Those games were great then, but just don't hold up.

Whatever, I still play Die Hard for the NES. That game is awesome. But, yes, I like this generation much more than the past ones, just as I foresee that I will like the next generation much more than this one.

r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By r0k1ll

I agree. A big thing for older generations is nostalgia. Fallout and Oblivion are some of the best gaming experiences i've had ever. Games are getting better at pacing, story telling, graphics, sound, gameplay, and multiplayer also adds.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By AndrewB

The biggest difference between the gaming eras of olde and now is the advent of the internet. It's much easier to find information about a game, be it in the form of a good FAQ to help you out or, more importantly, review scores to tell you which games to get. I know magazines eventually took up that role, but those were monthly affairs, and you had to pay for them.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Gabriel

I feel the PS2/Xbox/GameCube era was the best and most exciting time to experience games. While it may sound funny now the first PS2 game I played was Enter the Matrix and I thought it was absoulutly fucking awesome. I tend to get into new platforms one or two years into their cycle, so prior to that I was still playing PS1 games. Jumping from games like Syphon Filter and Metal Gear Solid to Enter the Matrix was mind blowing due to the amount of detail in the envirorments and characters (in MGS Solid Snake and the rest of the crew had NO EYES.) Granted I know PC was already doing shit like this but the only PC games i played were Kings Quest Games. I don't think there will be such a switch visually and creativally like there was from PS/N64 to PS2/Xbox/Gamecube. The pinnacles of that era being GTA III, Resident Evil 4, Halo on their respective systems will probably not be topped for a long time. 

PS. Yes I know Enter the Matrix was shit

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By K0rN
@Shirogane said:
"Games this generation seem WAAAAAY too focused on graphics. Back in the older gens, graphics weren't such a big thing, cause it was pretty much all 16bit pixels.  Most of the 'top' games lately have just been eye candy essentially. The gameplay is good and not broken, but the graphical quality is really high. Older games were all pretty much the same graphics wise, and so people focused on making their game good by trying to implement gameplay stuff. "

Man I hate gamers like you who act like you can't have great graphics and gameplay. 

Each generation has it's highs and lows. I can't wait to see what the 8th gen has in store.
taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By taccyp
@Shirogane said:
" Games this generation seem WAAAAAY too focused on graphics. Back in the older gens, graphics weren't such a big thing, cause it was pretty much all 16bit pixels.  Most of the 'top' games lately have just been eye candy essentially. The gameplay is good and not broken, but the graphical quality is really high. Older games were all pretty much the same graphics wise, and so people focused on making their game good by trying to implement gameplay stuff. "
A lot of the greatest games of previous generations were technical power houses for their time. Not much has really changed.
mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mano521

i agree with you. games have been progressively getting better and better. the older games were great for their time. but when someone says tetris is the greatest game ever, i have to disagree.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By shirogane
@TaccyP said:
" @Shirogane said:
A lot of the greatest games of previous generations were technical power houses for their time. Not much has really changed. "
The difference is that how much better than the other games around them wasn't as much as the difference there is now between games. 

@K0rN said:
"@Shirogane said:
Man I hate gamers like you who act like you can't have great graphics and gameplay.  Each generation has it's highs and lows. I can't wait to see what the 8th gen has in store. "

I'm not saying games can't have both, i'm saying that what people look at in games these days is graphics. The very first thing people comment on these days when looking at a game is how it looks.
DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DRE7777

The best era in my opinion is the PS1 and N64 era, but thats probably just because that was what I played though all elementary school and some middle school. Second would be the NES era, and third would be this era.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is my favorite era as well, I'm pretty much like Hamst3r described, loving being immersed into the universe of the game I am playing.  But I can still have a great love for new gameplay, or extremely refined gameplay.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Coombs
@ShoulderHolster: 

* I have not read all posts so I don't know if this has been asked

How old are you?
Because that would have alot to do with why you prefer the current gen.
I dont pine for previous gen games (Probably because I still have them & play them from time to time)
But I am pretty pleased with the current gen.

(I mainly ask about your age because your amanita 1up seems Teenish to me)
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Shirogane said:
I'm not saying games can't have both, i'm saying that what people look at in games these days is graphics. The very first thing people comment on these days when looking at a game is how it looks. "
Maybe un-informed gamers, and casual gamers, but I can't remember a time where a game was only praised because of outstanding graphics by someone that is informed and serious about the hobby.  I mean, sure, when a game goes above and beyond the realm of "normal" graphics to look beautiful, it is obviously pointed out, but why does that matter?  I can't really think of a game that looks amazing but is just flat out fucking broken.

And I do know what you mean when people only like graphics, my friend who is a very casual gamer and all he plays is Call of Duty and Halo was saying Borderlands was stupid because it looked "cheesy".  He said this while him and another friend were playing MW2 on one TV while another friend and I played Borderlands, and it made me pretty annoyed, but you have to remember that these people don't really understand the hobby and probably only play games to play with their friends and talk shit on Xbox Live and think their awesome.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By shirogane
@xobballox said:
" @Shirogane said:
I'm not saying games can't have both, i'm saying that what people look at in games these days is graphics. The very first thing people comment on these days when looking at a game is how it looks. "
Maybe un-informed gamers, and casual gamers, but I can't remember a time where a game was only praised because of outstanding graphics by someone that is informed and serious about the hobby.  I mean, sure, when a game goes above and beyond the realm of "normal" graphics to look beautiful, it is obviously pointed out, but why does that matter?  I can't really think of a game that looks amazing but is just flat out fucking broken.  And I do know what you mean when people only like graphics, my friend who is a very casual gamer and all he plays is Call of Duty and Halo was saying Borderlands was stupid because it looked "cheesy".  He said this while him and another friend were playing MW2 on one TV while another friend and I played Borderlands, and it made me pretty annoyed, but you have to remember that these people don't really understand the hobby and probably only play games to play with their friends and talk shit on Xbox Live and think their awesome. "

Yeah, i think that's the major problem. Gaming has become much more accessible and there are way more people claiming to be gamers, even though all they play is WoW or Halo, and don't touch anything else. There are a lot more of these people these days then there used to be. 

I think what i'm saying with people pointing out graphics is mainly for the games that don't look awesome, mainly Wii games. The comment 'looks like a Wii game' is really relevant here.  
That said however, most wii games have absolutely horrible gameplay.
ShoulderHolster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ShoulderHolster
@Coombs said:

" @ShoulderHolster:   * I have not read all posts so I don't know if this has been asked  How old are you? Because that would have alot to do with why you prefer the current gen. I dont pine for previous gen games (Probably because I still have them & play them from time to time) But I am pretty pleased with the current gen.  (I mainly ask about your age because your amanita 1up seems Teenish to me) "

I'm in my 20's. 

I don't see how my avatar seems any more teenish than anybody else's. I just picked an avatar that was somehow video-game related but was a bit different than the usual videogame character avatars. 

I prefer the current gen because I think it represents the ultimate joining of ambitious concepts and polished mechanics.
ShoulderHolster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ShoulderHolster
@Geno said:

"Anything based on technology always gets better over time. Most people who prefer the past are usually way too nostalgic, misinformed about the current gen, or simply delusional. "

I agree with the bolded statement.  Books and movies seem to age better than games because they don't center around technology the way games do.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48  Edited By jonnyboy
@SeriouslyNow: Fuck Yeah!!! IK+ Even though the Amiga Version owned all (of course I'd say that), I still love seeing that game. And you're right, sure having two ultra combos sounds like fun, but pressing 'T' and watching his trousers fall down, well it takes a lot to beat that.
LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LiquidSwords

15 year old's shouldn't start threads.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@ShoulderHolster said:

" @Geno said:

"Anything based on technology always gets better over time. Most people who prefer the past are usually way too nostalgic, misinformed about the current gen, or simply delusional. "

I agree with the bolded statement.  Books and movies seem to age better than games because they don't center around technology the way games do.    "
Sorry but that is untrue.  There's thousands of years of literature which utterly negates that view.  William Shakespeare's works are only one of literally millions of obvious examples which disprove both of your points of views.   Newer is rarely better.  It's just newer.

@jonnyboy said:
" @SeriouslyNow: Fuck Yeah!!! IK+ Even though the Amiga Version owned all (of course I'd say that), I still love seeing that game. And you're right, sure having two ultra combos sounds like fun, but pressing 'T' and watching his trousers fall down, well it takes a lot to beat that. "

I still have my trusty A500 with home made reset switch somewhere packed up.  OCTAMED FTW!