• 82 results
#1 Posted by SLUSHiNaToR (156 posts) -

I'm a huge fan of WW2 shooters and am so bummed to see how saturated the market is with modern day shooters. I know they were done to death in the past, but I feel like there's always a place for a WW2 shooter. The first two Brothers in Arms were great, all the Call of Duty games with a WW2 setting were pretty good. Except for maybe 3. For CoD specifically, I felt that it was a good thing for them to swap settings ever other year to change things up a bit. Anyone else feel the same way as me? Or am I just high?

#2 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4373 posts) -

I can only storm Normandy beach so many times.

#3 Posted by Sterling (2363 posts) -

Nope. I could really go for another.

#4 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5555 posts) -

WW2 shooters are fine, just like Modern military/Fake modern military in the future shooters are fine, just only in small doses; if the market would diversify and have more than one dominant type of shooter at a time that would be great.

#5 Posted by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

When they went out of style, I was sick of them. Now I miss them. I wish developers would stop just making cookie cutter games and try to make something interesting/fun.

If you're looking for PC games at all, Heroes & General is in beta and is a really cool WWII shooter. It was on Steam's Greenlight program and passed through it so it will be on Steam eventually. I do have a beta key and had a lot of fun when I was playing it. It definitely requires a lot of teamwork but if you can get a good team, the game is a ton of fun.

#6 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

If I never see a nazi ever again, it'll be too soon.

I'm all nazi'd out

#7 Posted by Landon (4149 posts) -

Why don't you just go hunt down all those other WW2 shooters? There were half a billions of them, I doubt you've played them all.

#8 Posted by bigsmoke77 (789 posts) -

I want a COD2 type story campaign from the German side of ww2, the soldiers in the German army were not all Nazi believers. A lot of them where just German citizens fighting for their country and fighting for their lives. There would be plenty of cool imagery and stories that could be shown but the fox news headline of " Video game lets kids shoot their veteran grandfathers!" is preventing a big budget WW 2 German FPS.

#9 Posted by Levius (1143 posts) -

I could take another WW2 shooter, I still bummed that the Battle of the Bulge set Brothers in Arms sequel they very, very slightly teased at the end of Hell's Highway never happened. Man, fuck Borderlands.

#10 Posted by Alexandru (301 posts) -

I played Sniper Elite V2 not too long ago...

#11 Posted by twigger89 (278 posts) -

@bigsmoke77 said:

I want a COD2 type story campaign from the German side of ww2, the soldiers in the German army were not all Nazi believers. A lot of them where just German citizens fighting for their country and fighting for their lives. There would be plenty of cool imagery and stories that could be shown but the fox news headline of " Video game lets kids shoot their veteran grandfathers!" is preventing a big budget WW 2 German FPS.

I don't think there are any developers that can walk down that tight rope without falling off. It would be incredibly difficult to make a German based WW2 shooter with interesting and empathetic characters and not seem like some kind of affront to WW2 vets.

#12 Posted by spankingaddict (2678 posts) -

I hope so .

#13 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

Yeah you probably are. That shit got boring quickly, there's only so many times I can replay the invasion of fucking Normandy.

#14 Posted by benefitevil (49 posts) -

I could go for another WW2 shooter... although I would like to maybe play as the Russians this time

#15 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4373 posts) -

@benefitevil: Then play World at War and go invade Germany.

#16 Posted by Trains (134 posts) -

WWII shooters are boring, Modern shooters are boring, futuristic shooters are boring, I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm not American.

#17 Posted by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) -

Does Wolfenstein count?

#18 Posted by believer258 (11949 posts) -

I don't think you could get a better WW2 shooter than Call of Duty 2 and/or World at War, unless they introduced a Spec-Ops type of not-actually-fun story driven game.

#19 Posted by joetom (105 posts) -

@twigger89 said:

@bigsmoke77 said:

I don't think there are any developers that can walk down that tight rope without falling off. It would be incredibly difficult to make a German based WW2 shooter with interesting and empathetic characters and not seem like some kind of affront to WW2 vets.

I think it could be done. It'd just have to be a story about "the horrors of war" rather than trying to make the protagonists out to be heroes. I don't think the world is ready for a WWII story that features a German soldier as a hero.

#20 Edited by ripelivejam (4084 posts) -

a lot to ask for... but i'd like a "shooter" that realistically depicts combat (while still being fairly accessible, at least more so than ARMA). i want a heavily character and story driven shooter where you go with a squad of 4 or 5 others through the campaign and if they die THAT'S IT, they're not coming back (ala Fire Emblem). i understand with what i'm asking for it'll be hard to cater to the less than hardcore crowd, so i'm guessing there would have to be some concessions with difficulty and realism to make it fun. also i'm getting into territory where what i'm asking for isn't even really a military FPS. i would like to think that in any genre, no matter how saturated, there is a way to surprise and innovate.

#21 Posted by JEC03 (901 posts) -

I miss MOHAA mp gameplay style wish more games had adapted that style no stupid perks use the weapons your given.It's still more tactical then any new modern FPS these days pretty sad how dumbed down the FPS genre has become.I do kinda miss the weapons in WW2 they had a great punch to them sniper rifles especially.

#22 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6231 posts) -

I wouldn't mind a WW2 shooter that encompasses all the major and minor conflicts and battles. Something like Battlefield 1942, just on a larger scope. I'd especially love it if it detailed why each conflict was important, what it meant to either side, and other historical facts while still making it fun to play.

Moderator Online
#23 Posted by Sackmanjones (4711 posts) -

You are the only person who thinks that

#24 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

I'm sure you're not, but it sure got old to me a loooooong time ago.

#25 Posted by DarknessMyOldFriend (257 posts) -

I want to play a game where you play as Christopher Lee

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/christopherlee.html

Look at that Jeep! Seriously something set in North Africa could be pretty interesting.

#26 Posted by pwnmachine (403 posts) -

Yup, COD2 was hands down my favorite Call of Duty game. I have been playing a shittonne of Red Orchestra over the past few months and I love it, but new additions to the genre are definitely welcome by me...

#27 Posted by Etnos (245 posts) -

haha... I kinda miss them nowadays

#28 Posted by Giantstalker (1660 posts) -

I'd throw my money pretty quickly at a new, competent WW2 shooter.

Sniper Elite v2 was too buggy to scratch that itch and Red Orchestra 2 is basically multiplayer only.

@DarknessMyOldFriend: Holy shit that's awesome.

#29 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

You should play Red Orchestra 2.

#30 Posted by me3639 (1765 posts) -

NO! I could go for some Wolfenstein, MOH, COD, COH2(coming soon), Brothers in Arms or whatever. I love me some WW2 in any genre.

#31 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3346 posts) -

I could go for another if they did original things...but the same parts of the war that Call of Duty 1, 2, and World at WAW did? Eh, I have had enough of that to last a lifetime. Plus the only gun I ever liked shooting was the Thompson, everything else just felt a shitty downgrade. 

#32 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

@twigger89 said:

@bigsmoke77 said:

If you make it similar to Specops where the German soldier is at first doing it because he has friends and family that are joining the military and for his country, but then later realizes some of the weird shit the Nazis started doing and then becomes a traitor or something

Maybe even a scenario where you caught this Jewish family they called spies thinking you helped out your country and then you see what that family ends up going through in the concentration camps and experimentation and what not.

Then again that might be too severe.

#33 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Yes.

#34 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

All this recent talk about Medal of Honor reminded me how much I loved the first two Playstation games. I'm in if something like this is in store, otherwise I'm good.

#35 Posted by SargeGulp (240 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook: I hate the idea that they're afraid to actually teach people something about human nature.

#36 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

I just want a game dedicated solely to the russian campaign. I loved W@W for those parts.

#37 Posted by gaminghooligan (1448 posts) -

and so the cycle begins again.....

#38 Posted by SargeGulp (240 posts) -

@gaminghooligan said:

and so the cycle begins again.....

Activision and EA consolidate, their symbol an Ouroboros

@Sploder said:

I just want a game dedicated solely to the russian campaign. I loved W@W for those parts.

The Eastern Front is ridiculously rich with interesting stories. A game based on that would be amazing. The unfortunate thing is that compelling stores and large budget AAA titles rarely go together, you get one or you get the other.

#39 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2487 posts) -

Done to Death.

#40 Posted by Commander_Crichton (156 posts) -

@AmatureIdiot said:

I could take another WW2 shooter, I still bummed that the Battle of the Bulge set Brothers in Arms sequel they very, very slightly teased at the end of Hell's Highway never happened. Man, fuck Borderlands.

When I see a "TO BE CONTINUED" at the very end of a game, I rightfully so expect a continuation of the events from that game in a sequel. What I don't expect is a sequel that goes away with the tone, gameplay, plot, art design and oh I don't know, just about everything else established by the games that came before it, only to replace it with vapid 4 player co-op gameplay, where numbers come off of enemies everytime you shoot them (yay for Furious Four). So yeah, fuck Borderlands.

#41 Posted by gunninkr (140 posts) -

I miss them. They are my favorite.

Day of Defeat is one of my all time greats.

#42 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (586 posts) -

I never really tired of them. World at War in particular I thought was great. Storming the Reichstag was epic. I could definitely go for another game like that. Definitely looking forward to CoH2 soon.

#43 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Can't say I miss them, but I'd rather have WW2 shooters over 'ULTRA-HYPER-REALISTIC MODERN CALL OF WARFARE 5'.

#44 Posted by psylah (2177 posts) -

For future reference:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Agiantbomb.com+%22am+I+the+only+one%22

#45 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Never thought I would say it but, it'd be a welcome relief in a sea of generic modern military shooters.

#46 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

So continues our war against the phrase "Am I the only one?"

Of course, you are. You are the only person on earth who missed WW2 shooters. Clearly, your psychosis for WW2 shooters is so overblown that you are the only one who misses them.

(Granted, if someone asked me if they were the only one who would name AMY as their favorite game ever made, I might say "Yes, actually! That's really strange!")

#47 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i think you might be the only one. i mean if they do make another one it will get boring again. just like every single FPS that comes out. it's going to be good until they make too many of the same kind of game.

#48 Posted by fisk0 (4174 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

WW2 shooters are fine, just like Modern military/Fake modern military in the future shooters are fine, just only in small doses; if the market would diversify and have more than one dominant type of shooter at a time that would be great.

I agree with this. There's a place for WW2 shooters, modern military shooters, sci-fi shooters, fantasy shooters, wild west shooters (and we could really use some world war 1 shooters, since the only ones I can think of have been alternate history stuff like Codename Eagle and Iron Storm, and the twisted nightmare WW1 environments in The Darkness and NecroVision), the problem is when every shooter tries to do the exact same thing another popular game has done (like how just about every current modern military shooter is a carbon copy of Call of Duty 4 and/or Battlefield 2), resulting in an endless flood of nearly identical games. What we need is developers and publishers that strive to do something new, or at least explore alternate perspectives on a popular setting, like what Spec Ops attempted to do with the modern military shooter (not being very successful at it, but still quite fascinating), or what the original Call of Duty did with the even then overpopulated WW2 shooter genre rather than just trying to do the exact same thing another game has already done (has that idea actually ever worked in practice? I can't think of any World of Warcraft clone that's been successful, and, well, the Medal of Honor reboots didn't seem to do all that great either, and even back in the WW2 shooter days, few of the hundreds of games are remembered today - it's generally only the old Medal of Honor, Call of Duty and Hidden & Dangerous games that tend to come up).

#49 Posted by Brodehouse (9976 posts) -

I miss Korean War shooters.

#50 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

For me, the time is now. I want to invade Normandy again! Or maybe we can go to Italy for a change.