#1 Edited by cloudyimpulse (225 posts) -

So I went to Amazon.com to check out the Playstation TV (VitaTV), and was considering pre-ordering one and checking out what they had as a release date. I was scrolling down a bit to check out some of the other info listed, when I noticed the Frequently Bought Together section showed this.

Made me laugh a bit. Always like to see weird combinations of stuff that appear together in the Frequently Bought Together section.

#2 Posted by Veektarius (4920 posts) -

Considering how well a company like Netflix does, I think that Amazon is way behind the times on its recommendation engine.

#3 Posted by slyspider (1285 posts) -

They always offer the most random shit as bought together

#4 Posted by notnert427 (262 posts) -

For some strange reason, I have always viewed Amazon's recommendations as some poorly written algorithm manifested in Russian form.

"You like video game? Here is more video game."

#5 Edited by Corvak (1125 posts) -

We should all buy our games with a random comical household object just to play hell with this algorithm.

#6 Posted by alternate (2716 posts) -

Considering how well a company like Netflix does, I think that Amazon is way behind the times on its recommendation engine.

It is 10000 films vs several million products. Plus if you are in to action films it isn't hard for an algorithm to recommend other action films but if you buy Final Fantasy X, toilet roll and massage oil all in one order then I am not sure what association the computer can really make.

#7 Posted by GunstarRed (5294 posts) -

I dunno man. I'm frequently surprised (even scarily so at times) of how well Amazon "knows" me.

#8 Edited by Capum15 (4928 posts) -

@veektarius said:

It is 10000 films vs several million products. Plus if you are in to action films it isn't hard for an algorithm to recommend other action films but if you buy Final Fantasy X, toilet roll and massage oil all in one order then I am not sure what association the computer can really make.

I think we all know exactly what association it could make with those.

#9 Edited by 71Ranchero (2782 posts) -

I used to love seeing all the weird stuff purchased with a Zojirushi thermos.

#10 Edited by notnert427 (262 posts) -
@capum15 said:
@alternate said:

@veektarius said:

Final Fantasy XXX?

#11 Posted by PimblyCharles (1566 posts) -

@71ranchero: Now Alan Wake I could understand, but Deadly Premonition??! Weird.

#12 Posted by Kedi2 (252 posts) -

@pimblycharles: The Giant Bomb staff's love affair with Zojirushi was at an all time high during the Deadly Premonition Endurance Run.

#13 Posted by 71Ranchero (2782 posts) -

@71ranchero: Now Alan Wake I could understand, but Deadly Premonition??! Weird.

It was because of the Giant Bomb community. The DP endurance run was going on and Tested was pimping Zojirushi's.

#14 Posted by Veektarius (4920 posts) -

@capum15 said:
@alternate said:

@veektarius said:

Final Fantasy X-2

Fixed

#15 Posted by PimblyCharles (1566 posts) -

@71ranchero: @kedi2: Woah, thanks. Learn something new every day...

I was around for the DP ER, but was not a frequent visitor of Tested then.

#16 Posted by Capum15 (4928 posts) -

@notnert427 said:
@capum15 said:
@alternate said:

@veektarius said:

Final Fantasy X-2

Fixed

Exactly.

#17 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

At least those are things that were announced at E3. People are provably just pre-ordering the things that interest them during the show.

#18 Posted by cloudyimpulse (225 posts) -

At least those are things that were announced at E3. People are provably just pre-ordering the things that interest them during the show.

I figured that. It's just funny to see that. Couldn't be more opposite from each other.