User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By John1912
Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Quick scan didn't show anything obviously new in the article. It's a primer piece on the stuff and explains terminology and product families that AMD have used and described for some time now.

One point might be that that card you probably buy right now is the rev 2 of the 7970 (called the GHz edition, normally ships with an open cooler with two fans rather than a blower and is clocked higher with more aggressive boost clock) released in June rather than the 12 month old original model and that has a peak FP32 theoretical performance of 4.3 TFLOPS. Not a hugely different figure to the quoted one (which I think should actually read 3.8, not 3.5) but enough to make a comparison to where the cutting edge of $500 PC GPUs are vs the published figure for the GPU in the PS4 worth pointing out.

Avatar image for captain_tolerable
Captain_Tolerable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I mean, this is fine and all but what I'm really wondering is if this can play Atari Jaguar games.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@shivoa said:

Quick scan didn't show anything obviously new in the article. It's a primer piece on the stuff and explains terminology and product families that AMD have used and described for some time now.

One point might be that that card you probably buy right now is the rev 2 of the 7970 (called the GHz edition, normally ships with an open cooler with two fans rather than a blower and is clocked higher with more aggressive boost clock) released in June rather than the 12 month old original model and that has a peak FP32 theoretical performance of 4.3 TFLOPS. Not a hugely different figure to the quoted one (which I think should actually read 3.8, not 3.5) but enough to make a comparison to where the cutting edge of $500 PC GPUs are vs the published figure for the GPU in the PS4 worth pointing out.

wow.... um.... Sounds good.