• 95 results
#1 Posted by Oni (2069 posts) -

Hey guys. Remember Double Fine? Remember Costume Quest, and Trenched Iron Brigade, and Stacking, and Happy Action Theatre? These games came out of Double Fine's Amnesia Fortnight, where the studio is broken up into 4 small teams to develop prototypes that will eventually become cool new games. This year, everyone can select which ideas will become prototypes, and eventually (one assumes) full-fledged games. Through Humble Indie Bundle! The idea is that you pitch in at least $1, then you get to vote on your 4 favorite prototypes based on the short pitch videos. Then, after Amnesia Fortnight has concluded, you will get access to the 4 prototypes.

Not to rock the boat here, but Brad Muir's idea is off-the-wall crazy, and sounds awesome.

#2 Posted by granderojo (1773 posts) -

I voted for Kaiju Piledriver, The Flock, Milgrim, Silent but Deadly, and Spacebase DF-9.

I wish more would vote for The Flock. It's a co-op bird migration game, come the fuck on guys vote for that!

#3 Posted by IamAwesome (42 posts) -

Voting for KAIJU PILEDRIVER for the name alone and The White Birch since the dude mentioned Ico.

#4 Posted by Pie (6937 posts) -

Yeah this is awesome. Just watched all the pitch videos and they all seem pretty cool. Spacebase sounds awesome and is being pitched by JP LeBreton and will win. Brad Muir is Brad Muir so that will get voted in. Autonomous sounds pretty cool and is doing well. They all sound like games I would want to play! (Well apart from the mobile touchscreen device one).

#5 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

What the hell does "Amnesia Fortnight" even mean?

#6 Posted by mnzy (2909 posts) -

Brad Muir has such an advantage through his popularity.

But yeah, I'm on board, mostly because of the 2-Player-Productions stuff. I like everything they do.

#7 Posted by The_Reflection (239 posts) -

I'm voting for Kaiju Piledriver and Hack and Slash.

Kaiju Piledriver is currently in 5th place.

If Kaiju Piledriver does not get made, I will start a riot.

#8 Posted by mrcraggle (1698 posts) -

I have no idea what to vote for. So many good ones. Brad's idea sounds amazing but I may give up my vote for someone else to get a chance to shine. I haven't gone through every video so far but The Flock, Spacebase, Hack n' Slash, Autonomous, The White Birch and Black Lake all sound really interesting.

#9 Posted by TurboMan (6965 posts) -

Kaiju Piledriver

Milgrim

Bad Golf (THIS NEEDS MORE VOTES)

Spacebase

#10 Posted by Bigandtasty (3202 posts) -

@NekuCTR said:

I guess Double Fine has amnesia about their major projects for a fortnight and decides to make smaller games.

#11 Posted by spankingaddict (2647 posts) -

Milgrim sounds the most awesome .

#12 Posted by Video_Game_King (34674 posts) -

@NekuCTR said:

That we'll all forget about this in a couple of weeks?

#13 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@Bigandtasty said:

@NekuCTR said:

I guess Double Fine has amnesia about their major projects for a fortnight and decides to make smaller games.

This. They've mentioned before it's how they came up with Stacking, Costume Quest, and Trenched.

#14 Posted by chilibean_3 (1582 posts) -

This is a weird, weird thing.

#15 Posted by MisterSamMan (361 posts) -

Milgrim and Hack n' Slash are my favorites. Spacebase also sounds pretty awesome.

#16 Posted by Aetheldod (3346 posts) -

Im goin to wait at least till friday ... if neither of The White Birch nor Black Lake make it then I rather not spend the cash.

#17 Posted by HarlechQuinn (439 posts) -

Hmmmmmmm... Tough choices, but in the end I went for:

Kaiju Piledriver

The White Birch

Black Lake

Battle Bros

#18 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

How can one not vote for Brad Muir in a t-rex hat?

#19 Edited by Flacracker (1399 posts) -

What ever happened to that little game they raised a bunch of money to make? I haven't seen shit from that.

#20 Posted by louiedog (2331 posts) -

@Flacracker said:

Whatever happened to that little game they raised a bunch of money to make? I haven't seen shit from that.

The one for which they've released regular well produced documentary episodes to the people who backed it? Who knows.

#21 Posted by Flacracker (1399 posts) -

@louiedog said:

@Flacracker said:

Whatever happened to that little game they raised a bunch of money to make? I haven't seen shit from that.

The one for which they've released regular well produced documentary episodes to the people who backed it? Who knows.

I didn't back it, but still, I would like to see a screenshot or something.

#22 Posted by Oni (2069 posts) -

@Flacracker: They're working on it. I've been watching the documentary and it's great. They're taking longer than they initially projected in the Kickstarter pitch because they got so much more money than they figured they would. They're in hardcore production mode right now, Amnesia Fortnight notwithstanding. It's been fascinating to watch, especially the problems that arose around the end of the concept stage. A lot of stuff you don't really get to see, even in today's age of everything being on the interwebs. It's been worth the money for the documentary alone, imo, and the game will probably be good so, great!

#23 Posted by JohnLocke (237 posts) -

This could be good, some interesting ideas. So what projects are exciting you?

#24 Posted by dcgc (878 posts) -

'Hack 'n Slash' is my favorite (I've been playing hacking games and mixing those with a rogue-like game... crazy)

#25 Posted by audioBusting (1321 posts) -

Whoa, I didn't know we can vote multiple times. This changes everything *votes for everything*

Hack n' Slash and Black Lake are the most interesting to me. KAIJU PILEDRIVER needs to be made what is it doing on the fifth place.

#26 Posted by Fooms (12 posts) -

@mrcraggle said:

I have no idea what to vote for. So many good ones. Brad's idea sounds amazing but I may give up my vote for someone else to get a chance to shine. I haven't gone through every video so far but The Flock, Spacebase, Hack n' Slash, Autonomous, The White Birch and Black Lake all sound really interesting.

If you can't decide just vote for them all, Their isn't a limit on how many you can choose.

#27 Posted by Oni (2069 posts) -

@audioBusting said:

KAIJU PILEDRIVER needs to be made what is it doing on the fifth place.

This is distressing. 5th place is first loser! I want to see this get made.

#28 Posted by mrcraggle (1698 posts) -

@Fooms: I know but that doesn't feel worth it. To me, if they're going to only make 4 games, I should only vote for 4.

#29 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

Spacebase sounds rad. I love Brad, but I'd like to see Spacebase become a real game!

#30 Posted by Redbullet685 (5981 posts) -

Voted for

• Spacebase DF-9
  • KAIJU PILEDRIVER
  • The White Birch
  • Milgrim

Cannot wait to see this stuff.

#31 Posted by EVO (3785 posts) -

@thabigred said:

I wish more would vote for The Flock. It's a co-op bird migration game, come the fuck on guys vote for that!

Yeah if the player count is big enough it has the potential to be hilarious. I voted for that, White Birch, Hack n' Slash and Milgrim.

#32 Posted by Eujin (1294 posts) -

Why is Kaiju Piledriver in 5th place.

A game where you can play as godzilla, wreck towns, perform wrestling moves on enemy robots/power rangers, and level up your skills and stats? WHY IS KAIJU PILEDRIVER IN 5TH PLACE?

(Hint: It should be ranking better)

#33 Posted by ThatFrood (3360 posts) -

Bad Golf sounds hilarious and I'm sad more people don't share that opinion.

#34 Posted by Redbullet685 (5981 posts) -

@ThatFrood said:

Really, the two games that actually sound funny are Bad Golf and Silent But Deadly, but there are a half a dozen games that sound much more fun/interesting to play.

#35 Posted by louiedog (2331 posts) -

I asked Brad Muir on twitter if he'd wear the dino hat to the Quick Look EX if his game gets made. He said yes. That's good enough for me even if we'll only be seeing on screen footage.

#36 Posted by ThatFrood (3360 posts) -

@Redbullet685 said:

@ThatFrood said:

Really, the two games that actually sound funny are Bad Golf and Silent But Deadly, but there are a half a dozen games that sound much more fun/interesting to play.

true, but Bad Golf uniquely sounds like it would be a blast to play with friends.

#37 Posted by Animasta (14467 posts) -

a vote that doesn't include kaiju piledriver is a vote that is designed for brad muir not to come and do a QL of it

don't make brad muir sad :(

#38 Posted by Aetheldod (3346 posts) -

Ok my votes :

Black lake

The white Birch

Spacebase DF9

and showed some love to Brad Muir´s Kaiju Piledriver

#39 Posted by Elwoodan (673 posts) -

I heard the pitch for the white birch and thought it sounded real boring. I like atmospheric platforming as much as the next guy, but I'm a bit atmospher'd out.

#40 Posted by Draxyle (1722 posts) -

@Animasta said:

a vote that doesn't include kaiju piledriver is a vote that is designed for brad muir not to come and do a QL of it

don't make brad muir sad :(

That's probably the best argument in favor of Brad Muir's project. Any excuse to get him back on GB.

Either way, this is such a fantastic idea. I love how DoubleFine is embracing the spotlight to such an extent after their kickstarter success.

#41 Posted by SlashDance (1764 posts) -

Bad Golf all the way. I always loved multiplayer golf and this sounds cool as hell in concept.

#42 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2343 posts) -

I love how unique the ideas all are

So far I've voted for Spacebase DF-9 and Kaiju Piledriver. (Both sound more focused on great content in simple ideas)

Both the videos for Critterverse and Cloud Prix are pretty convincing, but the more experimental White Birch, Black Lake and The Flock all seem meritable if different than Double Fine's usual style.

And for the out of left field but interesting choice Zumbi Chained seems interesting.

I think I'll wait before making my last two votes.

#43 Posted by audioBusting (1321 posts) -
#44 Posted by Zereta (1353 posts) -

Kaiju Piledriver and Echelon, guys. VOTE FOR GOOD GAMES PEOPLE

#45 Posted by StarvingGamer (7586 posts) -

Spacebase

Hack n Slash

Autonomous

Kaiju Piledriver

That is what I wish for.

#46 Posted by KestrelPi (140 posts) -

I voted for Kaiju Piledriver of course... and I'd love to see it made in a perfect world, but I'll undo my vote if it starts to threaten Autonomous because that game NEEDS to be made.

#47 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1784 posts) -

That the White Birch is in third place really bums me out. All the dude has is a melancholy art style and feeling and that it will be "like Journey". Kaiju Piledriver got robbed.

#48 Posted by StarvingGamer (7586 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

That the White Birch is in third place really bums me out. All the dude has is a melancholy art style and feeling and that it will be "like Journey". Kaiju Piledriver got robbed.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

#49 Posted by Meltac (1901 posts) -

Voted for Kaiju Piledriver, The White Birch, Spacebase DF-9 and Black Lake.

#50 Edited by KestrelPi (140 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I dunno, actually it pleases me. Because the problem with people voting on ideas at this early stage is that we're used to seeing ideas that are more fully formed. ALL of these ideas, Kaiju Piledriver included, are in very early stages. If you asked Brad exactly how Kaiju Piledriver played, he might have some sketchy ideas but I bet he wouldn't be able to tell you in detail.

The prototyping process is what developers go through to answer the most basic questions, to go from 'okay, this game is just a blurry blob in my mind' to 'how could this actually work, in reality?'. It's a stage we never really hear much about, and so actually it's totally fine that some of these ideas are a little less defined than others - it's because the idea for White Birch comes from a place of 'this is a mood I want to create' whearas Brad's idea is more 'this is the role I want players to play,' which is something a little more concrete.

I was a little worried that only those most concrete games would be voted up, and even though they often sound better right now, they often don't end up being the BEST games, so I'm pleased to see something like White Birch doing well.