Amnesia Fortnight meets Humble Indie Bundle!

• 94 results
Synaptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Synaptic

Kaiju Piledriver

The White Birch

Black Lake

Spacebase DF-9

I really, really want Black Lake to be made... Why is it in 6th place? *cry*

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By onarum

this sort of thing doesn't work, as soon as something takes the lead people will start voting on the ones already at the top without a second thought.

KestrelPi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By KestrelPi

@onarum: That's somewhat true, but much less true when you can vote on as many as you like. This is less: "vote on your top 3 ice cream flavours from this list of 20" and more "tick all of the ice cream flavours that you like." As long as people are willing to go through all the pitches (which, if they've paid money, well, why not?) then they should be willing to mark all the ones they like.

Of course, some people might only bother with the ones that are highly rated, but there's no pressure to only vote on ones that are likely to win, because there's no limit to how many you can vote for.

mrmooear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By mrmooear

Hey guys! Thanks for all of your support! :D!

I really want a chance to make KAIJU PILEDRIVER, but there are so many great ideas that I don't have a problem working on someone else's game. Have you seen Brandon's pitch for Hack n' Slash??? Crazy! :D!

But with that said, there's still plenty of time to vault the PILEDRIVER out of 5th place! Voting doesn't close until Sunday night, so If you know some people that can vote, it's only a buck (minimum! remember you can donate to charity!) and takes only a few minutes!

Also there's another surprise for you tomorrow, so stay tuned to Amnesia Fortnight craziness! Thanks for everything!

Love,

Brad!

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#55  Edited By strangeling

Why is no one here interested in Bragging & Fighting? It sounds crazy-hilarious with a cards-against-humanity type mechanic, and the core concept of having to actually live up to what you've bragged about just seems so... righteous. It's definitely my top pick. 

I'm actually sad to see so many like Megrim. The way I see it, the draw here is just the fact that it name drops Mario and cops his style. The play-as-the-bad-guy genre isn't so new. 

I'd like Bad Golf to turn into something good, but I just don't trust it to do so.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

@KestrelPi: Maybe I'm just discriminating against his profession, then. Because of course an artist would want to make a pretty game.

Maybe I was blinded by the smiliest man on earth, Brad Muir.

KestrelPi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By KestrelPi

@strangeling: I voted for it! I'm not quite sure how it would work, but then again that's what Prototyping is all about - figuring out how it would work. I liked the pitch but I guess some people might have been left wondering 'so ... what... exactly... happens?'

Icecreamjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By Icecreamjones

Where is our pro-Brad Muir army? I want the hell out of Kaiju Piledriver. I've missed Rampage for a long long time and going a bit roguelike on it may be just the thing to spice it up for the modern era.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#59  Edited By Oni

Brad Muir posted in my thread, life goal complete

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By louiedog

@Oni said:

No Caption Provided
HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By HarlechQuinn

@MrMooEar said:

[...]

Also there's another surprise for you tomorrow, so stay tuned to Amnesia Fortnight craziness! Thanks for everything!

[...]

The Trenched prototype?

The Trenched prototype?

The Trenched prototype... or, or, early concept art... Please, pretty please :)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#62  Edited By jakob187

Kaiju Piledriver

Bad Golf

Battle Bros.

Hack 'n' Slash

These are all fucking awesome ideas.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Oni

@louiedog said:

@Oni said:

No Caption Provided

He'd better wear that thing to work every single day if Kaiju Piledriver gets made.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By BSw

Voted for six now, might increase or decrease this amount later. In order of how awesome they sound/look:

1. The Flock

2. Kaiju Piledriver

3. Black Lake

4. Critterverse

5. Hack 'n Slash

6. Autonomous

But so many of these are great ideas. DF should give the leftover ideas to indie developers so that they can develop them (possibly together with their respective lead dev from DF), because it would be a shame to lose so much creativity.

dr_ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By dr_ryan

KAIJU PILEDRIVER IS SLIPPING

DO YOU ALL HATE BRAD MUIR, THE RIGHTFUL GOLDEN DUDER?

KestrelPi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By KestrelPi

@BSw said:

Voted for six now, might increase or decrease this amount later. In order of how awesome they sound/look:

1. The Flock

2. Kaiju Piledriver

3. Black Lake

4. Critterverse

5. Hack 'n Slash

6. Autonomous

But so many of these are great ideas. DF should give the leftover ideas to indie developers so that they can develop them (possibly together with their respective lead dev from DF), because it would be a shame to lose so much creativity.

That could be fun, but I don't think most indies are really wanting for ideas. From experience I know ideas come at a rate faster than it's possible to work on them. For example, my two-person team works in our spare time, and about 6 months ago we had almost the exact same idea as Autonomous. We're not working on it now because we've got another idea we're working on, and after that we have at least 4 more killer ideas to work on, and another 5 or 6 that could be great if we figure them out a little more. And it's a real shame to look at the list and go 'well... guess we're never getting around to THAT idea' but it's just the way it goes.

It's a cliché but nevertheless somewhat true that ideas are cheap. They're frequently wonderful, but we've had to accept early on that there are just too many! So if Double Fine did say: 'go forth and make these games' then that might be cool (maybe as a game jam) but I've got a feeling that my and most other developers would react with 'thanks, these are neat... but we've got all these other ideas...' :)

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By WalkerD

What's wrong with you people? It's like you want to see a sad Brad Muir.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#68  Edited By vigorousjammer

Voted!

Here's a list of all the games I voted for in order of awesomeness:

1. Kaiju Piledriver
  2. Battle Bros
  3. Silent But Deadly
  4. Shine Run
  5. Flopulus
  6. Redbot's Reboot
  7. Zumbi Chained
mrmooear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By mrmooear

That surprise I was teasing? It's another new game! I was a Project Lead for Amnesia Fortnight 2011 and BRAZEN is what came out of it! We polished it up and bit and decided to include it as our beat-the-average for our AF2012 bundle!

The game is our Americanized take on Monster Hunter through the lens of a Ray Harryhausen movie. So we're talking 4 player cooperative creature battling in a world that feels like those classic Hollywood fantasy films, but of course it's got a Double Fine twist on it with plenty of :D thrown in there! Try out the BEERZERKER class, where you can attack the creature with your Warsteins while trying to keep your Liquid Courage meter as high as possible without vomiting and reverting to a sad sober state! :D!

The best thing about it is that you can download and play BRAZEN right now! :D! The only caveat is that you if you play it you have to also vote for KAIJU PILEDRIVER for AF2012! ;D!

Love,

Brad!

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#70  Edited By Itwastuesday

@MrMooEar said:

That surprise I was teasing? It's another new game! I was a Project Lead for Amnesia Fortnight 2011 and BRAZEN is what came out of it! We polished it up and bit and decided to include it as our beat-the-average for our AF2012 bundle!

The game is our Americanized take on Monster Hunter through the lens of a Ray Harryhausen movie. So we're talking 4 player cooperative creature battling in a world that feels like those classic Hollywood fantasy films, but of course it's got a Double Fine twist on it with plenty of :D thrown in there! Try out the BEERZERKER class, where you can attack the creature with your Warsteins while trying to keep your Liquid Courage meter as high as possible without vomiting and reverting to a sad sober state! :D!

The best thing about it is that you can download and play BRAZEN right now! :D! The only caveat is that you if you play it you have to also vote for KAIJU PILEDRIVER for AF2012! ;D!

Love,

Brad!

Hey Brad, This thing is cool as heck! I love the lightning bolt that strikes when you charge your attack. The way the main characters are sort of huddled up walking up to the lair feels like it's right out of Clash. Except then you shoot maces out of your bow. Anyone wanna try the Brazen Prototype co-op on Steam? Here's my Steam profile if you want to beat this awful blue turtle to death with me!

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#71  Edited By vager

@MrMooEar: Played it, and it's awesome! I've always liked the concept of Monster Hunter but can never get into the way the game controls. Put in $15 for Fortnight, can't wait to watch the whole game jam process!

Also here's the video for anyone who hasn't seen it:

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Silver-Streak

@MrMooEar: Brad, you said this was a 2011 contestant? You mean it didn't win? Or is it just still in production? I'll be awfully sad if it doesn't become a full product. I want crafting, also a Sinbad style pirate/swashbuckler class (Which I posted about on the DF Forums).

Also, something is terribly wrong with the world when Kaiju Piledriver isn't in first place.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By BSw

@KestrelPi said:

@BSw said:

1. The Flock

2. Kaiju Piledriver

3. Black Lake

4. Critterverse

5. Hack 'n Slash

6. Autonomous

That could be fun, but I don't think most indies are really wanting for ideas. From experience I know ideas come at a rate faster than it's possible to work on them. For example, my two-person team works in our spare time, and about 6 months ago we had almost the exact same idea as Autonomous. We're not working on it now because we've got another idea we're working on, and after that we have at least 4 more killer ideas to work on, and another 5 or 6 that could be great if we figure them out a little more. And it's a real shame to look at the list and go 'well... guess we're never getting around to THAT idea' but it's just the way it goes.

It's a cliché but nevertheless somewhat true that ideas are cheap. They're frequently wonderful, but we've had to accept early on that there are just too many! So if Double Fine did say: 'go forth and make these games' then that might be cool (maybe as a game jam) but I've got a feeling that my and most other developers would react with 'thanks, these are neat... but we've got all these other ideas...' :)

That makes sense. However, I can also imagine that some indie developers would love to use the name Double Fine, let alone cooperate with one its employees. And I would just love to see The Flock get made with Greg Rice leading the development. Same for Kaiju Piledriver and Brad. Both of them could be so awesome.

By the way, what kind of game(s) are you working on (if you can share anything, that is)? Since I'm not a game developer myself, I'm always very interested to see what you guys do.

- If you don't mind me asking: what are you going to do with all the money that's coming in? That's already a lot, and DF never needed if before to pull off Amnesia Fortnight.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By BisonHero

@Eujin said:

@MrMooEar: Brad, you said this was a 2011 contestant? You mean it didn't win? Or is it just still in production? I'll be awfully sad if it doesn't become a full product. I want crafting, also a Sinbad style pirate/swashbuckler class (Which I posted about on the DF Forums).

Also, something is terribly wrong with the world when Kaiju Piledriver isn't in first place.

Unless I've heard wrong, the Amnesia Fortnight thing basically just results in them making 4 prototypes over the course of two weeks. Normally, I think Tim Schafer picks the 4 ideas that get prototyped, whereas this time the community is choosing. Once the prototypes are made, they still have to pitch those prototypes to publishers or investors or whoever. Some of the prototypes never get made into full games, or in some cases get made several years after they are originally prototyped.

Let me quote a recent Rock, Paper, Shotgun interview:

RPS: How about the Happy Song and Costume Quest prototypes?

Tim Schafer: Those are from the very first Amnesia Fortnight that we did in 2007. Happy Song was Nathan Martz’s prototype for the game he wants to make. And you’ll see it’s very different from Once Upon A Monster.

Costume Quest didn't come out until 2010 (and certainly took a year or less to make), and Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster (originally Happy Song) came out in 2011. In the same interview, Tim said "if [the Humble Bundle] is really a huge hit then maybe we’ll have enough money to actually turn one of these prototypes into a real game", but it would have to be EXTRAORDINARILY successful for it to single-handedly give Double Fine the like $400,000 - $2,000,000 some of these game ideas could require.

So to get back to your original question about Brad's prototype, if they're giving it away, it sounds like his idea was one of the four that got made into a prototype that year, but The Man didn't like the prototype enough to give Double Fine dump trucks full of money to make it. At least not yet?

yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By yyZiggurat
  • The White Birch
  • Black Lake
  • KAIJU PILEDRIVER
  • Milgrim
  • The Knockover

I was going to vote for Hack n' Slash and Spacebase DF-9 but they're already at the top. Also, after donating I was a little confused as to what I paid for (I've been drinking). These aren't finished games and we'll still have to repurchased them if/when they're released on Steam/XBLA/PSN as finished products. So we're essentially donating to vote on DF's next downloadable titles? Upon consideration, if I had the opportunity to reallocate where my donation went to I would have paid the same amount but skewed it more towards charity.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Oni

Looks like Brad Muir will get to make a game regardless: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-22-double-fine-developing-brazen-a-monster-hunter-style-game-inspired-by-stop-motion-movies

And you'll get access to the prototype if you donate. Awesome!

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Andorski

@Oni said:

Looks like Brad Muir will get to make a game regardless: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-22-double-fine-developing-brazen-a-monster-hunter-style-game-inspired-by-stop-motion-movies

And you'll get access to the prototype if you donate. Awesome!

Here's a video of the game with Brad Muir saying "like" a lot as he describes it for a bit. I can see this being a hit if he can bring all the great co-op and progression aspects of Iron Brigade into BRAZEN. Kinda disappointed by the art/lore they created though. Iron Brigade had such a kooky vibe that gels really well with the Double Fine persona. The gameplay in the video looks very generic fantasy.

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#78  Edited By BlaineBlaine

I'm in for: Bad Golf Battle Bros Bragging and Fighting Hack and Slash I am, however, also voting for Brad as I'm a fan of nepotism.

commonoutlier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By commonoutlier

The concept of the The Flock was the one that oddly struck me the most, and ZumbiChained also caught my interest as someone interested in cooperative gameplay design...I'd say though more than four games intrigued me, so it'll be sad if the losers completely disappear and are never touched upon again. I'll probably be both happy and disappointed no matter what wins.

stooven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By stooven

I hope Kaiju Piledriver is a game about love. only way to find out is to vote for it!

KestrelPi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By KestrelPi

@BSw said:

@KestrelPi said:

@BSw said:

1. The Flock

2. Kaiju Piledriver

3. Black Lake

4. Critterverse

5. Hack 'n Slash

6. Autonomous

That makes sense. However, I can also imagine that some indie developers would love to use the name Double Fine, let alone cooperate with one its employees. And I would just love to see The Flock get made with Greg Rice leading the development. Same for Kaiju Piledriver and Brad. Both of them could be so awesome.

By the way, what kind of game(s) are you working on (if you can share anything, that is)? Since I'm not a game developer myself, I'm always very interested to see what you guys do.

- If you don't mind me asking: what are you going to do with all the money that's coming in? That's already a lot, and DF never needed if before to pull off Amnesia Fortnight.

Sure, always happy to talk about my own games ;) You can find them at surprisedman.co.uk where there are also some dev blogs of our current project, Fix Fix Bang Bang, an asymmetric 2D co-op game where one player shoots while the other keeps the spaceship running.

Back on topic, I agree that it'd be cool if those games got made by anyone, and maybe Double Fine will use the results to give some of the more popular ones a second chance. I just have some doubts that many indies would see it as a good use of their time. Maybe, but I think most devs who would be worth working with already have loads of ideas they're excited about.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Dogma

I think I dig the concept for Cloud Prix, Spacebase DF-9, The Wihite Birch and Hack n Slash the best! This is an awesome thing that Double Fines does!

andriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By andriv

how is brad muir not number one

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#84  Edited By TheMasterDS

Why is Shine Run in next to last place? It's like redneck Nuts & Bolts with booze involved! What the fuck isn't to love?

Edit: Okay, maybe the concept is less Nuts and Bolts and more driving game with cops. Okay I can see why it's low if people who are voting read the descriptions thoroughly. That said, hey, Nuts and Bolts type wacky driving game where you drive shoddy looking but really fast and loose cars around fucking crazy hillbilly towns? That could be like Burnout Paradise meets Nuts and Bolts if done right. Someone should make that game. Right now.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#85  Edited By jakob187

You have to pay to vote?

No thanks. I'll just wait to see what people do.

*EDIT* Before someone wants to say "the money goes to charity", I donate roughly $600 every year in toys to Toys For Tots. Has nothing to do with the charity. Has to do with "paying to vote".

Meepasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Meepasaurus

@jakob187 said:

You have to pay to vote?

No thanks. I'll just wait to see what people do.

*EDIT* Before someone wants to say "the money goes to charity", I donate roughly $600 every year in toys to Toys For Tots. Has nothing to do with the charity. Has to do with "paying to vote".

It's a $1 minimum to vote. You get past and future prototypes and help to fund their film crew that will livestream the next 2 weeks of development.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#87  Edited By zoozilla

I don't know why Bragging and Fighting isn't doing better. It sounds great, and would definitely be unlike any game I've ever played before.

Stuff like The White Birch just seems slightly trite nowadays (though I'm sure it could be good).

dr_ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By dr_ryan

that artsy shit like white birch is gonna win the votes but no one will buy it

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Bane122

Ended up going with Hack n' Slash, Spacebase DF-9, Kaiju Piledriver, and Silent but Deadly.

White Birch sounds alright but I only want to play a game like that every once in a while and with the ICO collection and Journey both coming out this year, I really don't want another one for a while.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By BisonHero

Hack n' Slash is cool, but these are prototypes, that then basically have to be pitched to publishers to get the funding to make them into a full game. So awesome, it has 8300 votes from donors, but the pitch for Hack n' Slash sounds like the thing that would scare away just about any publisher. If it's true to the concept, then it's almost a game about coding/scripting that happens to have a graphical world, and if it's not true to the concept, then it's a puzzle game where all of your tools have coding/scripting in-joke names. Either way, I can't imagine publishers loving that, because it sounds like the sort of games that SpaceChem and 0x10c are, which only exist as self-funded games with limited graphical scope.

Maybe publishers will gamble that the Double Fine name is enough to interest people in the game, but it seems like a hard concept to market and make easy to understand, compared to stuff like "it's a Halloween JRPG" or "it's a Russian-stacking-doll-based adventure game" or "it's co-op mech tower defense in a weird alternate history setting".

I'm not trying to be a downer, and I expect it will make an awesome prototype. I'm just afraid that despite the cool concept and prototype, any suit in their right mind is going to dismiss the game about 3 sentences into the pitch because it sounds far too intellectual and too hard to learn for people.

KestrelPi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By KestrelPi

@BisonHero: Not necessarily. Pitching to a publisher is no longer the only route. If any of these prototypes prove successful enough, maybe that will be enough to generate enough interest for Double Fine to self-publish using funds from elsewhere, or maybe some of the projects they'll gamble will pitch well to a Kickstarter crowd, or maybe individual investors like Dracogen will help fund development.

Or, maybe they won't get that far. Only about half of prototyped games tend to make it to the next round, full-on development, according to Tim, so it's quite likely that only 2 of these will move forward after the 2 weeks.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By MrKlorox

Shame neither Kaiju Piledriver nor Battle Bros made it in. But both were similar enough that perhaps they could combine their ideas into one game and make a singular, more solid pitch next time. Same for Flopulus and Primordial Slime.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Forcen

They are livestreaming right now and assembling the teams.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Forcen

The games are now available for download, white birch is pretty cool.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By planetfunksquad

Autonomous looks awesome. Cant wait to play it.