SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

This is borderlands

(crappy looking screenshot for the game, but it gives you the idea)

but now this is borderlands.

Kind of view the game differently now, eh?   The art direction and graphics have peaked my interest.  Gonna keep an eye on this one.  Looked like a good shooter-rpg thing before, but not it looks kickass me thinks
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Red

Me no understand.

The concept-art looking picture isn't concept art, but in the game?
I'm assuming it'd be only for cutscenes...the first screenshot still exists.
REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By REDRUN

if they keep that comic book art style, they have peeked my interest. i am  now curious about this game. Thanks for sharing. Yes, graphics does matter in this case, from a generic looking shooter to stylized characters and amazing set pieces.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

You mean how "style/art" is more important than just "graphics" since both versions of the game more or less require the same monster PC (and whatever other system they're on), while the scan simply shows a vastly improved art direction which makes all the difference between "generic" and "awesome" in this case. I've been interested in this game already, but I'm glad to see Gearbox take it a step further.

I wonder how that trailer they had will look with this style...

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Red

A better example for you to use would be Okami. The graphics were confirmed to play a huge role.

In this, we don't know if it's a cutscene, or if they just plastered "this is in-game" over some concept art.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By turbomonkey138

isnt there like 700 different guns or something ?

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By turbomonkey138

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Drebin_893

That's not graphics, that's art style.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jayge_

That's not necessarily even the confirmed art style yet (although it probably *is* the art style now). I don't care what the environments look like, as long as I can get a bullpup shotgun and a rifle revolver. Fuckin a'.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By BiggerBomb
SmugDarkLoser said:
"This is borderlands
(crappy looking screenshot for the game, but it gives you the idea)

If you think that is a crappy looking screenshot, what do you think is a quality screenshot? I think that is pretty damn impressive. But whatever, that's not why I'm posting. I'm posting to say you're not entirely correct. Of course graphics are important, to an extent, but gameplay always trumps graphics; with the sole exception being if a game is released in 2009 on the PS3 or 360, looking like a Sega Genesis game, but that really doesn't happen.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By penguindust

If they keep the stylized graphic novel-like art direction, then I'm interested.  In an update on Joystiq, the Gearbox studio head communicated that the game is not cel-shaded as the photo at the top of this thread suggests.   However, he did add that more will be revealed perhaps as early as Monday for all our viewing pleasure. 

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By raven_squad

Ehhh... I'm not looking forward to it either way. So no. 

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Johnny5

ehh this thread doesnt exactley work..

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pause422
Al3xand3r said:
"You mean how "style/art" is more important than just "graphics" since both versions of the game more or less require the same monster PC (and whatever other system they're on), while the scan simply shows a vastly improved art direction which makes all the difference between "generic" and "awesome" in this case. I've been interested in this game already, but I'm glad to see Gearbox take it a step further.I wonder how that trailer they had will look with this style..."
It will hardly require a monster PC....the game looks alright but is hardly some huge technical hog. It doesn't even come close to some of the things that are out that you can play on near max settings on only a moderate PC.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Willy105

None of those styles are impressive actually.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By maxszy

First of all as others have said, its Art Style that you are pointing to.

That being said, graphics are important to a point. If someone is putting out a "modern" game on todays current gen consoles, yet makes it look like a first round PS2 game, of course its going to diminish the quality of the game. But luckily though, even the "bad" games today come out looking decent because of modern engines, so we really don't have to worry about the graphics anymore. No matter what, current gen games are going to look good enough to not worry about the graphics. Thus in turn, we focus on gameplay instead.

Oh and that screenshot you say is bad? What the hell are you smoking? That's pretty damn nice.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

You guys aren't being serious here?  Art style is a major components of graphics.  They're not individual of each other

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BigBoss1911
turbomonkey138 said:
"isnt there like 700 different guns or something ?"
Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Coltonio7

Looks the same...

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pause422

I don't know what you mean that this is an example of graphics playing a huge role....besides the art style being different, the game itself will still play exactly the same as if they never changed the style to begin with. Besides the fact that the newer art style may look a bit more appealing to some, its just the coating over the game...gameplay isn't going to change just cuz of this, therefor regardless of how the graphics end up it won't make a difference at all.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jayge_
pause422 said:
"I don't know what you mean that this is an example of graphics playing a huge role....besides the art style being different, the game itself will still play exactly the same as if they never changed the style to begin with. Besides the fact that the newer art style may look a bit more appealing to some, its just the coating over the game...gameplay isn't going to change just cuz of this, therefor regardless of how the graphics end up it won't make a difference at all."
Art design can feed heavily into user perception of environments, worlds and characters which can definitely effect the gameplay for some. I doubt Prince of Persia's amazing flow could have been achieved nearly as well without its illustrative art style, for instance, and... well... LEGO games, for some recent examples. Graphics might not play the largest role, yeah, but art style is definitely a huge factor. I wish people looked at music more too...
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pause422

Something like a lego game obviously, and yeah I think anyone would agree PoP is a perfect example of what you're saying too. I just mean for Borderlands...even though we don't know much of it right now besides the basics, it doesn't seem like that type of game is going to change at all underneath whatever they change with the art style/graphics. Mainly why I called it out on this game specifically. Yes of course I could be wrong, but the idea of what we know of Borderlands at the moment seems pretty set and at the first and foremost, a shooter, I don't think we are gonna see much change in it just due to the art design change.

I understand what you mean though. There are plenty of games that have their art style play a big role in them, it just doesn't appear if this game here stayed the same as we've seen, or changes style, that we're gonna see much of a difference.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By natetodamax

Art style belongs in the graphics category which belongs visual category. Basically, they are the same thing.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I'm glad they did an overhaul on Borderlands' graphics, the game looked awful before.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PureRok

"piqued".

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Purerok beat me to the pedantic punch.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Origina1Penguin
Drebin_893 said:
"That's not graphics, that's art style."

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BoG

I wasn't really paying attention to this game, but this new art style has most assuredly piqued my interest. I'd like a peek at this game in action. It looks as if Gearbox is at their peak with this one.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheKidNixon
BoG said:
"I wasn't really paying attention to this game, but this new art style has most assuredly piqued my interest. I'd like a peek at this game in action. It looks as if Gearbox is at their peak with this one."

No Caption Provided