An ironic blog about things I can't explain.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

Blogging is hard.

I usually manage to get across the general gist of what i'm trying to say, though perhaps not as eloquently as I had originally intended. To do so would require time for reflection, but with a community that moves so fucking fast by the time I am finished reflecting on a blog my attention has been distracted by someth- oooh look, A bird!

*ahem*

Sometimes I honestly cannot explain what the fuck i'm doing.

This usually leads to normal, rational people leaving me frustrated comments pointing out what an idiot I am. You don't need to tell me. I already know.

I am also, as has often been commented, an impulsive buyer. There is no trend to my purchase strategy, just unprecedented madness. Upon finding my next materialistic target I either purchase immediately or spend the rest of my life regretting my transactional cowardice. So it goes with videogames; being the sort of person to saturate myself in the journalistic tirade of previews, hands-on, hands-off, podcasts, interviews, quick looks, develop diaries and ultimate reviews of every damn game that comes into existence I tend to reach a state of acceptance where I know if a game is going to appeal to my addiction of virtual murder long before I have ever had a chance to play it. Where would we be without the internet? Yesterday.

There are times when I am horribly wrong. I take no shame in admitting my mistakes, only in that I fail to learn from them.

Borderlands is a game I should own. I know this, you probably agree with this, and logic therefore dictates that I should just buy the damn game and stop being such a fucking pussy - especially since it's now half price on Steam. It looks like something I could enjoy. It has been recommended me countless times by friends from around the world, local and foreign. But i'm not going to fucking buy this game. You know why? No. Neither do I. Fuck.

No Caption Provided

Metro 2033

is a game that, for some reason, I cannot buy on Steam. I can buy a copy from amazon, from gamestation, from pretty much anywhere except via digital distribution. This perplexes me, but for perhaps more bizarre reasons this makes me want to play the game even more. The one thing i'm told I can't immediately have is the thing I want the most. It wouldn't even be difficult to get a copy, I can order one online and have it delivered by tomorrow if needs be. But will I buy it? Fuck no. I'm just going to sit here and grumble about how it's not on steam. I bet someone planned it this way. Bastards.

No Caption Provided
I also want to buy Settlers 7. Having heard about the madness behind Ubisoft's DRM I am exercising restraint. Again, my decision not to buy something I want seems reasonable, only floundering on the reality that I am never more than 5 meters from a stable internet connection so the DRM wouldn't really effect me anyway. Such restrictive DRM is the sort of thing I feel I should be opposed to on principle, which is fucking insanity in itself. This measure has been installed because, lets face it, the PC market is crippled by piracy. I appreciate that people may find the DRM restrictive but claiming it's a matter of principle that people should effectively be allowed to continue functioning as thieves is fucking ridiculous. On the other hand, that doesn't mean Ubisoft should require their players to jump through such a dramatic series of flaming hoops. It's a tough one. I agree something had to be done, but this is clearly not it - and I have a feeling this decision could have savage repercussions for Ubisoft.

Anyway

I'm not playing games much right now. I'm reading books. What's a book? It's like the internet except made from trees.

Thanks For Reading
Love Sweep
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Blogging is hard.

I usually manage to get across the general gist of what i'm trying to say, though perhaps not as eloquently as I had originally intended. To do so would require time for reflection, but with a community that moves so fucking fast by the time I am finished reflecting on a blog my attention has been distracted by someth- oooh look, A bird!

*ahem*

Sometimes I honestly cannot explain what the fuck i'm doing.

This usually leads to normal, rational people leaving me frustrated comments pointing out what an idiot I am. You don't need to tell me. I already know.

I am also, as has often been commented, an impulsive buyer. There is no trend to my purchase strategy, just unprecedented madness. Upon finding my next materialistic target I either purchase immediately or spend the rest of my life regretting my transactional cowardice. So it goes with videogames; being the sort of person to saturate myself in the journalistic tirade of previews, hands-on, hands-off, podcasts, interviews, quick looks, develop diaries and ultimate reviews of every damn game that comes into existence I tend to reach a state of acceptance where I know if a game is going to appeal to my addiction of virtual murder long before I have ever had a chance to play it. Where would we be without the internet? Yesterday.

There are times when I am horribly wrong. I take no shame in admitting my mistakes, only in that I fail to learn from them.

Borderlands is a game I should own. I know this, you probably agree with this, and logic therefore dictates that I should just buy the damn game and stop being such a fucking pussy - especially since it's now half price on Steam. It looks like something I could enjoy. It has been recommended me countless times by friends from around the world, local and foreign. But i'm not going to fucking buy this game. You know why? No. Neither do I. Fuck.

No Caption Provided

Metro 2033

is a game that, for some reason, I cannot buy on Steam. I can buy a copy from amazon, from gamestation, from pretty much anywhere except via digital distribution. This perplexes me, but for perhaps more bizarre reasons this makes me want to play the game even more. The one thing i'm told I can't immediately have is the thing I want the most. It wouldn't even be difficult to get a copy, I can order one online and have it delivered by tomorrow if needs be. But will I buy it? Fuck no. I'm just going to sit here and grumble about how it's not on steam. I bet someone planned it this way. Bastards.

No Caption Provided
I also want to buy Settlers 7. Having heard about the madness behind Ubisoft's DRM I am exercising restraint. Again, my decision not to buy something I want seems reasonable, only floundering on the reality that I am never more than 5 meters from a stable internet connection so the DRM wouldn't really effect me anyway. Such restrictive DRM is the sort of thing I feel I should be opposed to on principle, which is fucking insanity in itself. This measure has been installed because, lets face it, the PC market is crippled by piracy. I appreciate that people may find the DRM restrictive but claiming it's a matter of principle that people should effectively be allowed to continue functioning as thieves is fucking ridiculous. On the other hand, that doesn't mean Ubisoft should require their players to jump through such a dramatic series of flaming hoops. It's a tough one. I agree something had to be done, but this is clearly not it - and I have a feeling this decision could have savage repercussions for Ubisoft.

Anyway

I'm not playing games much right now. I'm reading books. What's a book? It's like the internet except made from trees.

Thanks For Reading
Love Sweep
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I've been dancing around Borderlands since its release, doing the same "I'll get it eventually" gesticulation you've outlined, whilst simultaneously shelling out for new titles--Call of Duty, Bad Company, Just Cause--to totally cement my hypocrisy. 

I don't know, man. It's just one of those things. I want Borderlands, and I know I will have Borderlands at some point. I just don't know when that point is. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

As you, I look at every angle on a game before and after release, but sometimes I just can't pull the trigger. Sometimes for the same reason as you. I would like to play Thief 2, but it's not on Steam. Could I buy it on Amazon? Sure, but I'm just not going to do it. What about System Shock 2 or Tron 2.0? I would love to play those games, but only through Steam. 

It might be the lack of hassle that Steam offers that is so appealing. I can't tell you how many times it was a bitch to just install a game. Steam is simple and also automatically updates your game. Want to mod your Steam game, no problem, mod it just like a retail copy. I need to give Steam some more love, but I've fallen back on some old favorites, which I own a physical copy of.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

Saying "blogging is hard" is like saying "pimping is easy." Trust me, I wrote a blog about this weeks ago, titled "Why Pimping Isn't Easy." Anyway, to feed your impulses, I'll say the following: go and buy Borderlands, along with the 20 games that have come out in the past 3 hours.

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By pwnasaurus
@Sweep:
get metro and send me a message when you want to get crushed by my german steel in company of heroes
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Dalai

I say this every month or so, but I really need to finish Borderlands. With that said, you should buy it now while it's on sale. Go go go!

rargy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#7  Edited By rargy

What are you reading?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ajamafalous
@Sweep said:
" What's a book? It's like the internet except made from trees. "
This made me smile.

I too have been wanting-but-not-buying Borderlands since its release, though I finally pulled the trigger a few minutes ago due to the Steam sale. Needless to say, Borderlands is now installed and will be waiting for me in the morning.
Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Oni

I feel you Sweep, sometimes I'll just not buy games without fully knowing why. I'd probably enjoy Infamous, but even though it's half price, I still haven't bought it. Why? Fuck if I know. Plenty of games to play, I suppose. Also books are good.

But dude, Metro totally is on Steam! At least it is in my region, which is also in Europe. So it'd be really weird for it not to be available in the UK. Weirdness.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@rargy said:

" What are you reading? "

Currently reading "The Hell Of It All" by Charlie Brooker, which is depressing and amusing in equal measure, and about to start on "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. I have a stack of stuff I have been meaning to read...
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Oni:  It's available in eastern europe. I don't know where they draw the lines...
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Red12b

It's like the internet, But made out of Trees. 

Awesome,  
I love reading, Books were my passion growing up, before I found out about Technology, and then I was hooked, (Mum was a Hippie/Naturist person.) 
I recommend the Dirk Pit series of books by Clive Cussler, Inca Gold and Atlantis Found are my favourite books, but there are so many others in his collection that are just pure unadulterated awesome. 
And anything from Chuck Palahniuk, Author of Fight Club, Get a book called Rant, brilliant, This man is a genius.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Oni
@Sweep said:
" @Oni:  It's available in eastern europe. I don't know where they draw the lines... "
Lol, according to valve Holland is Eastern Europe :(
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I bought borderlands!

If this game sucks i'm going to fucking stab everyone.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Sweep said:
" I bought borderlands!  If this game sucks i'm going to fucking stab everyone. "
Why do you think I wear a cloak? Because people try that type of thing all the time. But if you don't like the game....*pulls out knife*.....I'll return the stabbing, free of charge.
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By ImperiousRix
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Sweep said:
" I bought borderlands!  If this game sucks i'm going to fucking stab everyone. "
Why do you think I wear a cloak? Because people try that type of thing all the time. But if you don't like the game....*pulls out knife*.....I'll return the stabbing, free of charge. "
Dude, just be fore-warned that I personally wouldn't have recommended Borderlands.  Although in the early going I was eccstatically enthused by this game, I steadily became less and less entralled by it as time went by.  

I disliked the drabness and repetition of playing it alone, and I disliked the constant feeling of being rushed through areas I'd rather explore for loot that I felt when playing with three other buddies (who usually had played through the area already, and therefore didn't give two shits about me).  

I beat the game, and even did every last side mission in the original game, and at the end felt... empty.  It's not that Borderlands is a bad game, or even a game that I can't understand why people like.  I think it is a GOOD game.  I just didn't enjoy it.
nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By nanikore

elu 

...I mean, that's nice.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Meltac

Impulse buying ftw, and Borderlands is pretty boring, and you shouldn't buy it ... I'm glad I rented it, instead of actually buying it. And get Metro 2033 no matter what it takes! It's fantastic, awesome, eerie, atmospheric, and just... great.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By eclipsesis

I have come to believe that only people from the UK use the word "Ironic" correctly.

Anyone want proof go watch Ed Byrne.

Anyways, good read, i too can never muster up effort to write anything and even when i do i end up half arse-ing it during the middle. Also for me the Borderlands aesthetic  wore off after and few hours 

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DystopiaX

Borderlands is the game I was perhaps most excited about prerelease. First game I preordered, first game since Ocarina of Time i got the guide for.

DaemonicGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DaemonicGrim

Swoooooooooooop! Tell me how good borderlands is upon our return to sunny Bomo and if it's worth it I'll join you steam style and we can co-op it...

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@DaemonicGrim:  It's on sale at the moment for half price so just get it now and we can play through it even co-op if it does suck ass (which it probably wont)