An Offer You Can't Refuse

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Daniel
Run fast, or you'll be sleeping with the fishes.

In 2002, I was pretty heavily into PlayStation 2. I had a sub-standard computer and I seldom played games on it. I don't remember how I found myself playing Mafia. Sure, the mechanics may not have been the like of Grand Theft Auto III, but it had such authentic 1930s feel to it, especially with Django Reinhardt's guitar pieces. I found myself enjoying Mafia more than the dark GTA III for many reasons.

It's no surprise, then, that I'm really looking forward to Mafia 2 next year. Granted, it's not going to eclipse such bound-to-be-hits as Call of Duty 6, Halo ODST, Halo Wars, Final Fantasy XIII, Resident Evil 5, or even HAWX. I hope it does get some attention though, because with its mobsters, guns, a Marlon Brando doppleganger, and the 1950s setting, it's bound to be something special.

Where I think this game could really shine is in multiplayer. I don't many details about the game, I don't think anyone does, but if there is a very open world feel to the multiplayer, where players can set up shop in a given district and run black market operations to gain money and prestige, I see a lot of people embracing this title.

Anyone else looking forward to this one?
Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Daniel

In 2002, I was pretty heavily into PlayStation 2. I had a sub-standard computer and I seldom played games on it. I don't remember how I found myself playing Mafia. Sure, the mechanics may not have been the like of Grand Theft Auto III, but it had such authentic 1930s feel to it, especially with Django Reinhardt's guitar pieces. I found myself enjoying Mafia more than the dark GTA III for many reasons.

It's no surprise, then, that I'm really looking forward to Mafia 2 next year. Granted, it's not going to eclipse such bound-to-be-hits as Call of Duty 6, Halo ODST, Halo Wars, Final Fantasy XIII, Resident Evil 5, or even HAWX. I hope it does get some attention though, because with its mobsters, guns, a Marlon Brando doppleganger, and the 1950s setting, it's bound to be something special.

Where I think this game could really shine is in multiplayer. I don't many details about the game, I don't think anyone does, but if there is a very open world feel to the multiplayer, where players can set up shop in a given district and run black market operations to gain money and prestige, I see a lot of people embracing this title.

Anyone else looking forward to this one?
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#2  Edited By citizenkane

I never played the first one, but I hear amazing things about it.  I might have to pick it up for cheap and give it a try.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

I played Mafia on my pc and it's very realistic. Run a stop light... not good, cars ran at a snail's pace, unless you were going down hill, I died... a lot and I loved every minute of it. I was thinking about putting it on my harddrive again and replaying it, because of the talk of Mafia II. I think Mafia II well be another must have title for me and I'm definitely looking forward to it.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ltcoljaxson

Yeah I loved the first game when it came out. Probably wouldn't like it as much now cause it is outdated on PS2... but I can't wait for Mafia 2 (I will get it for PC).

Avatar image for vitaminwateryum
VitaminWaterYum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By VitaminWaterYum

I remember loving the first and hearing about the second on Kotaku, hopefully it turns out good.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Coltonio7

I'm totally willing to give Mafia 2 a shot. I love the era, and I think it'd be a lot more fun to mess around in than 'modern' new-york.

But...is Mafia story heavy? I could never tell.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Daniel

Coltonio, what do you mean by "is Mafia story heavy"? Does it have a deep story line do you mean?

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By roushimsx

It's a shame the Xbox and PS2 ports came out as badly as they did. Perhaps if they didn't suck so heavily then the game would have gotten a warmer reception by players. The PC release remains one of my favorite games; it's a shame that they never got the multiplayer working properly prior to or after release (especially since it was such a touted feature in early previews).

God, I really want to reinstall it right now and burn through the storyline again. I loved everything about that damn game... I loved:
Starting off as a cabbie, doing the daily grind and getting swept up into the life

• The balance of on foot and driving missions
  • The graphical detail in the on foot missions
  • The traffic
  • The car damage and driving models
  • Hell, the cars in general. Awesome selection of rides.
  • The music
  • The story
  • The layout of the city and the inclusion of the foldout map with the game
  • Free Ride Extreme (!!!)

Such a wonderful game. Hell, it even propelled me to upgrade my PC at the time, because on my tbird 1ghz, I was pulling single digits in the driving segments and rarely over 30 or so FPS in the foot segements. Strange how the engine was so CPU-bound, too. Didn't seem to matter what resolution I ran that sucker in, it ran the same speed on my ol' Geforce 2MX. Still, it felt good to swap it out with a Ti4200 when I bumped up to an AthlonXP 2000+ :)

Three CDs of pure. fucking. gold.
clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By clubsandwich

One of my most anticipated games, I still have the first Mafia for PC, love it, such a masterpiece, great story, great graphics, great gameplay.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Daniel

Free Ride Extreme was awesome. Remember doing the bonus missions where you got a car in the middle of the city and there were snipers on the tops of the buildings? That one was a lot of fun. Or, having to chase down the guy that ran super fast in heart boxers with his feet on fire. That was fun too. Great game. Wish I knew where the discs were.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah Mafia was great, I hope the 2 one will get more attention, but I expect it to because there won't be another big sandbox time game like that (I think, tho i might be wrong).

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Daniel

addictedtopinescent,

I think you're right. From what I know, there won't be another big open-world title out next year. If there were another GTA coming out, I could see how Mafia 2 would be eclipsed. With a solid multiplayer and a good story, Mafia 2 has the potential to really shine next year.

Cartman1311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cartman1311

You have no idea how much i'm looking forward to this, no idea :)

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

i never played the game. it seems like a cool game.