An Open Letter to Those Who Game.

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@wesleywyndam:

@meatball said:

Fuck all of this social media wars bullshit. I like videogames, I don't act like a terrible person. I have no interest in getting caught up in some shit slinging contest for good or evil or jerks or mysogyny or misandry or whatever the fuck, I'm fucking sick of it. Just play a fucking videogame and enjoy what is an amazing fucking medium, christ.

Mhmm. I concur.

This exactly. There are so many annoying people on both sides of this argument, I just can't be bothered with caring about any of them. Just leave me out of it.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#52 rmanthorp  Moderator

Asking to be left out of it by posting in a forum about it seems a bit counterproductive, no? Just leave it alone if you don't want to be part of the discussion, as there is clearly a discussion to be had.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm just resigned to the level of public discourse at this point. Its a vicious cycle, someone says/does something someone gets offended then its pile on and extremism.

But I'm not so sure all of the hate is from "gamers" (in as much that all people under 40 game) but a group of asshole troll motherfuckers.

But honestly all I can do is buy the shit that I like and hopefully the message gets through that I don't care if my avatar is a dude or lady, so long as I'm smoking fools and the gameplay rules I couldn't give a shit*. Everything else is just posturing. If AAA games need more female representation then sales, not critique, is required to make the message known to those publishers. I dunno cart before horse....then I think of Remember Me and I get worried that a lot of peeps money isn't where their mouth is.

Does anyone else think games should, inevitably let you play as whomever you want and make whatever decisions you want... like games should at some point run games like a DM?

* hyperbole, not all games I like require smoking fools, just most of them! and as most of them are first person I couldn't give a shit what my avatar looks like those games, actually

DonMFJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'll just form my own opinions and won't blindly follow the social justice warrior party line.

hoodcommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By hoodcommando

I went to check on the latest video everyone was talking about and didn't see any issues. I like shooting or infiltrating a brothel in action videogames, I regaining life from hookers and then shot them down to steal the money back in the old GTA days and I thought it was the funniest thing. It's weird because based on the complaints you'd think they were talking as if the video game characters were real people.

With that said, I don't like siding against this movement because a lot of people that do seem to be huge assholes. I stand in the happy middle on this one.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asking to be left out of it by posting in a forum about it seems a bit counterproductive, no? Just leave it alone if you don't want to be part of the discussion, as there is clearly a discussion to be had.

It's difficult when posts like the very OP of this thread are telling us we're bad people for not taking part in the discussion.

Apparently, if you don't speak up, you might as well be, and I quote: "the frothing douchebags who are the root of this problem".

And then when someone does speak up and they don't agree 100% with either side of this 'debate', they're condemned by both anyway.

Quite frankly, fuck this "discussion". It's not like this thread won't be locked in a matter of minutes/hours anyway.

#puttingdownthekeyboard-pickingupagamepad

DonMFJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rmanthorp said:

It's difficult when posts like the very OP of this thread are telling us we're bad people for not taking part in the discussion.

Apparently, if you don't speak up, you might as well be, and I quote: "the frothing douchebags who are the root of this problem".

And then when someone does speak up and they don't agree 100% with either side of this 'debate', they're condemned by both anyway.

Quite frankly, fuck this "discussion". It's not like this thread won't be locked in a matter of minutes/hours anyway.

#puttingdownthekeyboard-pickingupagamepad

It really seems to be "you are either with us or against us", which rubs me the wrong way.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Completely disagree. I've decided to stay out of this whole thing this go round, and more than likely every go round from this point forward. That doesn't make me just as bad as the "frothing threat making douchebags". Threatening somebody =/= deciding to no involve ones self in the matter whatsoever. Not that I have a problem with you, or anyone else speaking up about it. Your heart seems to be in the right place. Do what you feel is right. Just don't draw some metaphorical line in the sand of "YOU'RE EITHER WITH US OR AGAINST US". Maybe you can convince yourself that's how the world works, but it isn't, in my perspective.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm locking this before it goes too far down the path of people yelling at/insulting each other over these things.