• 75 results
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

Edited By spacetrucking

Is there any game that left you annoyed or angry with it's ending ?  Anything that left you almost questioning the quality of the entire game leading up to that point ?

*Heavy Spoilers*

I'll give the game props for perfectly reflecting my face as I watched the ending.
I'll give the game props for perfectly reflecting my face as I watched the ending.
I finished Heavy Rain yesterday and got the Four Lions ending, which I take was the intended, Disney style fairytale closure. But this ending also leaves massive plot holes in the game's story arc and major character inconsistencies. Not to mention, the unreal circumstances of the last half hour, leading up to the final showdown. Most of these failures could be forgiven to a degree in a normal shooter or action game but Heavy Rain chooses to put the spotlight on player's every little action. It's the driving force behind this character piece, as it plots your storyline based on any & everything to do. So it's a big failure of trust when the game itself fails to keep up with the player's attention to detail. There are also multiple instances where it simply fails to convey the information properly to the player. 

To get started, here is a list of problems I had with just Scott Shelby: 

• The biggest inconsistency of them all is anachronism. Scott is 48. John died 30 years ago. There is so much wrong with this fact alone.   
  • Why is Scott suddenly retrieving evidence from crimes he committed almost ten years ago ?  
  • How did he kill the old guy in the typewriter shop when we had control of him ALL THE TIME ?
  • Why did he take Lauren with him if his plan was to murder the guy all along ?
  • Scott's character up until Chp. 45 or so just doesn't fit as the killer. The guy is changing diapers one day and murdering 10-year old the next morning ? Why give us the "moral" choice of sparing a mob boss after gunning down his entire armada John Woo style (not to mention the child killer thing again) ? This is almost schizophrenic behavior from Scott, which would have made more sense with Ethan. 
  • If Scott is looking for a father, willing to make the ultimate sacrifice then why are players allowed to find Shaun's location after completing just 3/5 trials ? You can avoid cutting off your finger, poisoning yourself, shoot a drug dealer and do the other two non-fatal trials to get the address - it doesn't sound a whole lot like the "ultimate sacrifice" Scott is looking for. 
  • Why does he save Lauren again and again, when he knows she is going to kill him the instant she finds out the truth ? It doesn't fit with his usual analytical behavior.

Just shoot me now. I don't wanna drown in your sea of inconsistencies
There are major problems with almost every major character in the game. Like the origami in Ethan's hands, Madison's altruistic behavior, Jayden's incompetence as a FBI agent just to mention a few. The list just goes on and on. And all this is from ONE of the game's ending. I don't even know what to make of all the other 17 or so alternate endings of the game.  

Heavy Rain sells itself as an interactive drama but it doesn't have the writing to support the interactive claim. If you fail to follow the intended path of the game, you end up with the most horrible scenario of the Oragami killer walking away scott-free and pretty much everyone else ending up in a ditch somewhere. It's really quite depressing how the game handles "choice" - if you don't agree with David Cage's original intentions, then you're heavily penalized for it. The character inconsistencies increase ten fold if you veer off the intended path, ruining the experience even more. Whatever happened to player enforcement ? Aren't we supposed to enjoy the game by making these choices ? Whats the point if everyone you cared about ended up dead after nearly ten hours of character investment ? There is no balance between consequences, fun and plausibility.  

I'm ragging on the denouement in particular because the game relies heavily on it's multiple story threads and a great deal is riding on how they all come together in the end. The old cliched saying is that it's all about the journey but in Heavy Rain's case, it's all about where your journey's choices lead you to. There is a big emphasis on choice every step of the way. I was expecting my choices to lead me to some kind of satisfactory resolution and I was disappointed with what I got instead. 
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By spacetrucking

Is there any game that left you annoyed or angry with it's ending ?  Anything that left you almost questioning the quality of the entire game leading up to that point ?

*Heavy Spoilers*

I finished Heavy Rain yesterday and got the Four Lions ending, which I take was the intended, Disney style fairytale closure. But this ending also leaves massive plot holes in the game's story arc and major character inconsistencies. Not to mention, the unreal circumstances of the last half hour, leading up to the final showdown. Most of these failures could be forgiven to a degree in a normal shooter or action game but Heavy Rain chooses to put the spotlight on player's every little action. It's the driving force behind this character piece, as it plots your storyline based on any & everything to do. So it's a big failure of trust when the game itself fails to keep up with the player's attention to detail. There are also multiple instances where it simply fails to convey the information properly to the player. 

To get started, here is a list of problems I had with just Scott Shelby: 

• The biggest inconsistency of them all is anachronism. Scott is 48. John died 30 years ago. There is so much wrong with this fact alone.   
  • Why is Scott suddenly retrieving evidence from crimes he committed almost ten years ago ?  
  • How did he kill the old guy in the typewriter shop when we had control of him ALL THE TIME ?
  • Why did he take Lauren with him if his plan was to murder the guy all along ?
  • Scott's character up until Chp. 45 or so just doesn't fit as the killer. The guy is changing diapers one day and murdering 10-year old the next morning ? Why give us the "moral" choice of sparing a mob boss after gunning down his entire armada John Woo style (not to mention the child killer thing again) ? This is almost schizophrenic behavior from Scott, which would have made more sense with Ethan. 
  • If Scott is looking for a father, willing to make the ultimate sacrifice then why are players allowed to find Shaun's location after completing just 3/5 trials ? You can avoid cutting off your finger, poisoning yourself, shoot a drug dealer and do the other two non-fatal trials to get the address - it doesn't sound a whole lot like the "ultimate sacrifice" Scott is looking for. 
  • Why does he save Lauren again and again, when he knows she is going to kill him the instant she finds out the truth ? It doesn't fit with his usual analytical behavior.

There are major problems with almost every major character in the game. Like the origami in Ethan's hands, Madison's altruistic behavior, Jayden's incompetence as a FBI agent just to mention a few. The list just goes on and on. And all this is from ONE of the game's ending. I don't even know what to make of all the other 17 or so alternate endings of the game.  

Heavy Rain sells itself as an interactive drama but it doesn't have the writing to support the interactive claim. If you fail to follow the intended path of the game, you end up with the most horrible scenario of the Oragami killer walking away scott-free and pretty much everyone else ending up in a ditch somewhere. It's really quite depressing how the game handles "choice" - if you don't agree with David Cage's original intentions, then you're heavily penalized for it. The character inconsistencies increase ten fold if you veer off the intended path, ruining the experience even more. Whatever happened to player enforcement ? Aren't we supposed to enjoy the game by making these choices ? Whats the point if everyone you cared about ended up dead after nearly ten hours of character investment ? There is no balance between consequences, fun and plausibility.  

I'm ragging on the denouement in particular because the game relies heavily on it's multiple story threads and a great deal is riding on how they all come together in the end. The old cliched saying is that it's all about the journey but in Heavy Rain's case, it's all about where your journey's choices lead you to. There is a big emphasis on choice every step of the way. I was expecting my choices to lead me to some kind of satisfactory resolution and I was disappointed with what I got instead. 
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Gabriel

You want to talk about the worst game ending, it's got to be Assassins Creed. My Jaw literally dropped on how bad it was.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By StarFoxA

Fallout 3. Hands down.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By shadows_kill

well sense its fresh in my head.... borderlands. (just beat it yesturday doing co-op with my friend the whole time)

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By schizogony
@StarFoxA said:
" Fallout 3. Hands down. "
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Gabriel said:
" You want to talk about the worst game ending, it's got to be Assassins Creed. My Jaw literally dropped on how bad it was. "
he didnt say bad, he said "least satisfying" 
 you really think the AC cliffhanger was the least satisfying ending ever? dude ... 

I'd say.. meh i dunno
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gabriel
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Gabriel said:
" You want to talk about the worst game ending, it's got to be Assassins Creed. My Jaw literally dropped on how bad it was. "
he didnt say bad, he said "least satisfying"  you really think the AC cliffhanger was the least satisfying ending ever? dude ...    I'd say.. meh i dunno "
That cliffhanger was total shit, Desmond finding out he can read symbols with his psycic vision is a HORRIBLE ending. At least Assasins Creed 2 made up for it.
Avatar image for fish_face_mcgee
Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee

Seriously? No one has mentioned Halo 2 yet?

ElegantRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ElegantRuby

Every Fighting Game ever made.

ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ApolloJ85
@shadows_kill said:
" well sense its fresh in my head.... borderlands. (just beat it yesturday doing co-op with my friend the whole time) "
Yah Borderlands was pretty crap, but that was the whole storyline, not just the ending. So in a sense it wasn't unsatisfying because there was nothing good before it. 
I can see how AC was unsatisfying, in the same way that I felt ME2 was - it had a totally unnecessary boss battle, a concept which is becoming a crutch for game endings these days.
Avatar image for fakeplastictree
FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FakePlasticTree

Fallout 3 was pretty rough. Other than that, probably Indigo Prophecy. The whole last hour or so was a complete joke. 

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By DCFGS3

The end of WoW was pretty disappointing...there was just more WoW.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee

I skipped past the blog because I haven't played Heavy Rain still. 

Anywhoo what comes to mind for me would Psi Ops for starters. Bullshit cliff hanger that never even goes anywhere since there wasn't a a sequel. I thought at first that it was would be continued if you played through on a harder difficulty...no such luck. 

Assassins Creed is another well...

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By schizogony
@ElegantRuby said:
" Every Fighting Game ever made. "
Tekken 3 has the best endings of any fighting game ever.
ElegantRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ElegantRuby
@schizogony: But sadly thats not saying much.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By c1337us
@Gabriel said:
Both of them. Actually 2 got a lot worse then the first. I almost want 3 to continue on this trend to see just how bad it gets.
Leldoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Leldoran

another vote for Borderlands over here, literally pointless

Avatar image for mightymayormike
MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MightyMayorMike
@Fish_Face_McGee said:
" Seriously? No one has mentioned Halo 2 yet? "
Halo 2 for me as well. I honestly thought I was watching a cutscene ramping up for the last fight. Then it just... ended. Blue balls.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CptBedlam

Half-Life 2

And I got bored and stopped playing Fallout 3 one main mission before the ending. That's telling.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CptBedlam
@Leldoran said:
" another vote for Borderlands over here, literally pointless "
The point of Borderlands wasn't the story anyway.
Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Bennyishere

Condemned comes to mind. It seemed like a bad copy of Twin Peaks' ending.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By habster3

Batman: Arkham Asylum; more for the fight than the ending, though.

Leldoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Leldoran
@CptBedlam said:
The point of Borderlands wasn't the story anyway. "

Sure sure, but STILL a little pay-off would have been nice after the who knows how many hours I spent doing all the side quests. 

but yeah, ur playin it rong. If I'd spent 5 minutes reading about it before I started I probably wouldn't have played it at all.
Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lawrens

I was not satisfied with FF7's, after the grand conclusion that FF6 had.

I don't really expect much from endings since then, and all of them has been pretty surprisingly decent, I didn't like multiple endings though from the silent hill games.

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By ATrevelan

Going way back here, but I'm gonna say Star Control 3. After the awesomeness of Star Control 2, which had a really well fleshed-out story, SC3 couldn't hope to live up to it no matter what it did. At the same time, it COULD have been less of a spectacular failure if it didn't unceremoniously end the game with a 5 second cutscene.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I was very disappointed with the Fable II ending. It was building up and building up and I was expecting a huge and epic battle with Lord Lucian. And when you finally get to him, you point a gun at him, he talks for a while and you shoot him. It was completely anticlimactic.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By habster3
@MattyFTM: I know; that's retarded.
jeff4moso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By jeff4moso

The Just Cause 2 ending didn't make any sense, not that you play that game for the story.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dbz1995

For me, Killzone 2. You have a great fight with the end boss to see Rico fuck up like a moron...again.

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By aaox

It's a dramatic, violent and brutal tie between Halo 2 and Fallout 3. Actually, Fallout 3's ending was fixed slightly by Broken Steel, so Halo 2, most probably. He's finishing the fight, guys.

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Eidderf
@MattyFTM said:
" I was very disappointed with the Fable II ending. It was building up and building up and I was expecting a huge and epic battle with Lord Lucian. And when you finally get to him, you point a gun at him, he talks for a while and you shoot him. It was completely anticlimactic. "
I didn't even get to shoot him myself, the character voiced by Stephen Fry did it for me. I don't know what they were thinking with that ending.
HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By HS21

Minesweeper. I finally clear the board and it just starts over as soon as I finish. No fanfare, no FMV cutscene, no rolling credits set to inspiring music, nothing. Such a letdown. 

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EVO

Splosion Man.

Not the meat falling from the sky ending, but the first song that plays over the credits. I was led to believe it was as good as Still Alive but it pails in comparison.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Animasta

call of pripyat; the final mission is pretty cool and all, but I was literally surprised at it ending. I was like OH, we're leaving NOW?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HandsomeDead

Fallout 3, Halo 2, Just Cause 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Gears of War 2, Bionic Commando, Prince of Persia, Dead Space, Half-Life 2, Condemned 2, Devil May Cry 4, Assassin's Creed, BioShock, Crackdown, do I have to go on?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Fallout 3.  It has all the pieces necessary for a really good ending.  Being stuck in the room, figuring out that the code is the Bible passage, making the heroic sacrifice.... but the fact that the game is about giving you options, to take them away at the end.  Blah.

I've heard a lot of people complaining about the Prince of Persia 2008's ending.  They said it didn't have closure, because he nullifies Elika's sacrifice to save her.  I felt it ended exactly where I wanted it to.  I didn't need to have that game wrapped up in a neat little package.

Alpha Protocol... loved the game, but maybe it was fatigue near the end that made me kind of rush through the ending and not really consider the choices and the results.  The ending felt kind of schizophrenic as a result.  I'll put that down as my fault.

Mirror's Edge was kind of an inversion of your average game ending.  I felt like it was both a little underwhelming, and at the same time, I kind of liked that it was.  The story was about clearing your sister's name, and defending the things Faith cares about... I'm glad it didn't devolve into a total Let's Save The World thing.

People complained about Alan Wake's ending.  I liked it.  Once again, I don't always need every game to end in a neat little package.  I feel like Alan Wake's ending is completely appropriate considering the style of the game.  It's the exact opposite of Fallout 3 Syndrome, where the style is about one thing and the ending is a complete wall banger in comparison.

I felt the original BioShock's ending was pretty dull.  The binary nature of it really took away from whatever depth the game felt like it had.  BioShock climaxes a bit too early, with the WYK revelation, and it makes the home stretch into falling action, rather than the most engaging part of the game.  BioShock 2 on the other hand, I felt had a great ending, even if it didn't have the great WYK moment.

Going against what I said about neat little packages, I would've liked to see Snake blow his brains out in MGS4.  Everything else about the world seems like its been fixed, all the other main characters have found new lives and can leave behind the former age... but there's still Old Snake hanging around.  And I just feel like until he actually blows his brains out, the world will never have peace.  You'd think the existence of war would necessitate the need for Snake, but it seems like the existence of Snake necessitates the need for war.

Also, I could go on about the parts of Scott Shelby that make sense and the parts that don't... I'll just keep that short.  Shelby has no problem with mothers or children.  He doesn't kill children because he wants children to die, he does it because he hates fathers.  Even parts I feel didn't make sense actually do if you think about it.  He (can) saves Reza's father in the convenience store; you'd assume he'd let him die for allowing his son to die.  But what he does is talk to the robber, and he finds out the robber is a father.  He talks him out of it by saying 'consider it a second chance to not fuck up your life'.  He doesn't do it for the robber, he does it for the kid.  At the Bowles house, he cares for the infant and saves the mother, because he has no quarrel with them... despite the fact he killed her son, and indirectly killed her husband.  Lauren Winter, if anything, I think he falls in love with because of her drive to find revenge for her child.  She is what he wanted the boy's father to be.  Hell, he'd have a reason to save Kramer.  Kramer covered up his son's murder of a child, because he would do anything to save his son.  He literally says that in that last scene.  I actually felt like I was betraying the Origami Killer's motivations by letting Kramer die.  I think the Origami Killer would respect Kramer's misdeeds.

The more 'realistic' parts are where the game falls apart... Ethan's blackouts, Shelby's age... but the character motivations are dead-on.

9mmStudios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37  Edited By 9mmStudios

For me it's either Borderlands, GTA4 or Halo 2.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ramone

I pretty sure Shelby has at least 3 different ages throughout the whole of Heavy Rain. It seems weird that they would make those sort of mistakes about someones age. But I would have to agree about Heavy Rain, loved the game, hated the twist and ending. Also most games of the recent era have been at least a little dissatisfying in their endings, simply because it is obvious they are hoping for a sequel and so it becomes harder to kill off important characters or have other dramatic endings. E.G GoW 2, COD MW2, Infamous, BFBC2

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#39  Edited By Symphony
@ElegantRuby said:

" Every Fighting Game ever made. "

You have clearly never played Tekken 3! Best Ending Ever --

As for my personal biggest ending disappointment, it would have to have been Ocarina of Time. Yay, let's all dance around a bonfire while Link forgets that any of the whole story ever happened!
ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ozzdog12
Even though it is one of my all-time favorite games, the ending(either one) for Bioshock was pretty unsatisfying
mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mattysen

Assassins Creed's ending wasn't terrible, It was pretty unsatisfying though. Borderlands was unsatisfying  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.  Fallout 3 was a joke, as if it just ended.  Erm? Superman 64?

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FirePrince
@MattyFTM said:
"I was very disappointed with the Fable II ending. It was building up and building up and I was expecting a huge and epic battle with Lord Lucian. And when you finally get to him, you point a gun at him, he talks for a while and you shoot him. It was completely anticlimactic. "

That really was bullshit.The "Epic Evil" was killed by bullets.Jesus.How is that a villian.He is SUPPOSED to be more powerfull than you,so that when you defeat him,it is a monumental achievement.Like in Fable 1.  
Jack of Blades was awesome.
spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By spacetrucking
@Brodehouse: At Reza's store, I knocked out the robber before getting the chance to start a conversation. I got the button prompt when I approached him from behind and it was over. From my point of view, Shelby did that to save the father who failed the trial. That's a character inconsistency born out of succeeding at the QTE 

At the Bowles resident, you say he has no quarrel with the mother. But then why does he save the mother who abandoned her child, much like how his father abandoned John at his time of need ? Don't say a second chance - those fathers & sons he killed didn't get a second chance.

The romantic connection between Laurena and Shelby was a little very contrived to begin with. But even if you take that into account, why does he drag her along when he intends to murder someone ? It's bringing a witness to your own crime. The Origami Killer had a sense of self-preservation and Scott's relationship with Lauren compromises that. 

Kramer's death shouldn't be a choice at all. Scott killed nearly 50 men getting to him (the sequence leading up to that was so out of element for the game too). Anyway, if you're going to present the player with a choice, then you should make the motivations behind that choice clear. From my point of view, Kramer's death was a simple moral choice. The Origami Killer's real identity was still unknown at this point. So the game fails on multiple counts here - they didn't make the character motivation clear which means the player is being mislead (it happens throughout the game actually but that's another complain). 2nd:  the explanations are a little too convenient - if you kill him, you're simply knocking out evidence. If you don't, you are fitting the Origami Killer's profile. So there are two divergent profiles for the killer at this point.

Also, Kramer was trying to save his life when Scot was choking him. He didn't do it for his son. Instead he just rat out his son to save his own skin. When he asked for the pills, Kramer wasn't begging for his son's life - he was begging for his own life. In both cases, Scott let him live.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#44  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Fable 2 come to mind. Instead of some awesome boss battle... you just shoot the guy. Ugh.

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

EthanML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#47  Edited By EthanML

Gears of War 2 (for the shitty final "boss") 
Fable 2 (for the lack of a boss entirely) 
Persona 3

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By luce

Metal Gear Solid 4

To be fair no ending to that series would have me satisfied

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By OneManX

I  think more people are confusing final battles with all out endings... 

Gears 2's ending pretty much leads into Gears 3 (at least according to what is known currently) They sunk the city but pretty much fucked themselves with that one. 

Assassin's ending was a MAJOR cliffhanger, but Creed II so far (I haven't finished) is definitely setting up toward a battle with the Templars in reality since that is the REAL story, the Story of Desmond Miles 

MGS4's ending didn't sit right and I agree with whoever said it here... if Snake pull the trigger, we wouldn't be having this convos and this would be the best game endings ever.

RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RedneckedCrake

Fallout 3, at least until Broken Steel was released.