#1 Edited by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/06/04/sony-europe-hacked-by-lebanese-hacker-again/

Hacked site: http://apps.pro.sony.eu/

By my count this is unlucky hack number 13 for Sony. A Lebanese hacker known as Idahc dumped another user database at Sony Europe containing approximately 120 usernames, passwords (plain text), mobile phone numbers, work emails and website addresses.

This is just ridiculous now. It took the hacker a whopping 11 minutes to hack it too. What else can you even say at this point? These aren't just users either, these are professional clients details.
#2 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Booooo, hackers.
#3 Posted by Hailinel (23978 posts) -

This is quickly moving beyond ridiculous and into just plain stupid territory.

#4 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3023 posts) -

I was going to say it seemed like a much smaller hack, until you mentioned that these weren't just random users.  They really need to do some serious damage control on this.

#5 Posted by Creamypies (4052 posts) -

A good enough hacker will get through any security if they put their mind to it. I realise that this is incredibly entertaining to these hackers, but it's becoming kinda old hat at this point.

#6 Edited by vdortizo (119 posts) -
#7 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Ok so we are having multiple multi billion dollar companies hacked every day. 

#8 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

wow. this is getting a bit ridiculous now. 

#9 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Is there some sort of serious unemployment problem in Europe or something? Every hacker I know is always an unemployed and on social assistance of some sort, and also in their late 30's to mid 40's. So I'm going to assume Europe has an abundance of these people.

#10 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

I'm confirming it now, one full day of DEFCON 2011 on just Sony stuff.

#11 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5251 posts) -

Someone needs to crush these internet hacker gangs now!

#12 Posted by Creamypies (4052 posts) -

@keyhunter said:

Is there some sort of serious unemployment problem in Europe or something? Every hacker I know is always an unemployed and on social assistance of some sort, and also in their late 30's to mid 40's. So I'm going to assume Europe has an abundance of these people.

Oh it makes me so proud to be a part of this continent.

#13 Posted by Hailinel (23978 posts) -

@KaosAngel said:

Would you stop posting this shit in every single hacking thread that comes up? We get it. You're psyched for going. Also, you can't wait to jailbreak your NGP, and have sex every night with a beautiful woman after hanging out with friends at dinner.

#14 Posted by MachoFantastico (4515 posts) -

This is getting really old, really fast.

#15 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3023 posts) -
@vdortizo
It seems like they didn't/weren't able to do anything in that attack, though.  The story isn't extremely clear on that one.  Sony, meanwhile, has been hit quite a few times now and is having important information taken.

I don't think it's bullying, but it is interesting to see just how unprotected some of these things really are.
#16 Posted by Devoid (429 posts) -

So, what are these hackers even hacking for anymore? It seems they've reached the stage where they're just doing it because they can, with no real reason to actually do it.

Shit like, "Look ma, I hacked the Internets!"

#17 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

It's surprising that companies like these don't have their networks set up more carefully.

#18 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@creamypies said:

A good enough hacker will get through any security if they put their mind to it. I realise that this is incredibly entertaining to these hackers, but it's becoming kinda old hat at this point.

These guys are just using scripts, there's no talent here what so ever, it's just coming down to Sony having incredibly poor security.

Also, I believe Microsoft have never been hacked in any form. I find it hard to believe no one has tried.

#19 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

Booooo, hackers.

And people who frequent hacker news sites.

#20 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

Right before Sony's press conference, who else is not surprised by this?

#21 Posted by vdortizo (119 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:

@creamypies said:

These guys are just using scripts, there's no talent here what so ever, it's just coming down to Sony having incredibly poor security.

Also, I believe Microsoft have never been hacked in any form. I find it hard to believe no one has tried.

Yeah I find that hard to believe too. On another note, I wonder how we would handle it here if GiantBomb got hacked??
#22 Posted by neozeke (378 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@KaosAngel said:

Would you stop posting this shit in every single hacking thread that comes up? We get it. You're psyched for going. Also, you can't wait to jailbreak your NGP, and have sex every night with a beautiful woman after hanging out with friends at dinner.

Kaosangel has friends and sex? Whaaaaaaaaaaa
#23 Posted by Creamypies (4052 posts) -

@Hizang said:

I fear for Sony's next 24 hours. The early hours of tomorrow and onwards are gonna be tough. I can see a lot more hackers trying some shit today.

#24 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

...it's just coming down to Sony having incredibly poor security.

That is true. The XBL security uses 256-bit encryption along side Steam for their online services, the hacker community showed this off ages ago and Gabe confirmed it when he showed off the new Intel Encryption for Sandy Bridge owners. Sony doesn't use the standard 256-bit encryption and they never had.

It's gonna be fascinating as shit to see how it all went down this August. The FBI is totally gonna recruit these guys or take hella notes on the whole thing. You can also bet Steam's engineers will be there and a good hunch the XBL engineers too...gotta make sure not to fuck up like Sony.

#25 Posted by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -
#26 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@creamypies said:

@Hizang said:

I fear for Sony's next 24 hours. The early hours of tomorrow and onwards are gonna be tough. I can see a lot more hackers trying some shit today.

If you check out the PartyVan IRC they've been talking about it for a while. Some big surprises coming up if they can pull it off, I don't know the details but from what the rumors are going around it's going to be "magical", and it's funny because Apple's WWDC press event is before Sony's.

#27 Posted by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:

@creamypies said:

Completely wrong. They have been. The MS network was and the FBI had to step in. Xbox live has been hacked and over a million dollars of MS points stolen and lets not get into the gigantic list of security issues IE has.
#28 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@Metal_Mills said:

Completely wrong. They have been. The MS network was and the FBI had to step in. Xbox live has been hacked and over a million dollars of MS points stolen and lets not get into the gigantic list of security issues IE has.

XBL =/= IE.

For the most part XBL is safe and in the past few years it's been safe due to their encryption. I'm not a Microsoft dick-sucker either, as WinterSnowblind can confirm, but I will give credit to MS for securing their shit up for XBL.

EDIT: I will admit that by linking XBL accounts to MSN is fucking stupid. That's how most XBL accounts get "hacked", people are fucking retarded with MSN passwords.

#29 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

Nintendo got hacked a few weeks ago as well, but they just announced it today. So I think the hackers are going after everyone.

#30 Posted by Tanikaze (68 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:

@creamypies said:

http://www.cgisecurity.com/2007/06/hacker-defaces.html
#31 Posted by Creamypies (4052 posts) -

@KaosAngel: I'd like to say that "I'm sure Sony are prepared for it", but judging by how it's gone thus far... it's hard to have much faith in them.

#32 Edited by vdortizo (119 posts) -

Man, It makes me sick that people find these things "funny". They're inconveniencing millions of people, I don't care if they're 40 year olds with a family, kids and a steady job; if you do this for the laughs, you're nothing but an immature as***le... They can rot in hell for all I care...

#33 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1333 posts) -

The endgame I think is obvious at this point: 

THEYRE GOING TO HACK THE STAPLES CENTER OH GOD

#34 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5124 posts) -

Someone needs to punish these fuck heads.

#35 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

This is quickly moving beyond ridiculous and into just plain stupid territory.

#36 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@vdortizo: On the plus side everyone else is juicing up their security to not fuck up like Sony. You know, like using the standard 256-bit encryption like you're fucking supposed to. Brute forcing 256-bit is damn near impossible with current technology and by the time they can even get close to halfway there, the corporations can juice it higher to 512-bit encryption.

My fucking WiFi uses a 128-bit encryption, and Sony can't even fucking do that.

#37 Posted by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

@Metal_Mills said:

XBL =/= IE.

He said Microsoft, not just XBL.
#38 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4646 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@KaosAngel said:

Pro-tip: Ignore every post by KaosAngel. Remember that kid at school that used to come in saying he had an uncle that worked for Sony and had a PS5 with Grand Theft Auto 7? He also lost his virginity at age 12 to a chick who looked kinda like Sarah Michelle Gellar? And his other uncle worked for Game Informer so he was getting him into E3?

#39 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

And our hacking-newsman award of the month goes to... (drum bang) 
 METAL_MILLS! 

Awesome coverage, bro!

#40 Posted by shinigami420 (640 posts) -
#41 Posted by Oxymoron28 (6 posts) -
#42 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@Oxymoron28 said:

I'm not sure if I'm miss reading your post or missing the tone of the post, but otherwise, Microsoft have been hacked;

By MS he meant XBL in general. XBL is one of the most secure networks out there along side Steam.

Of course MS has been hacked, it's been often and for good reasons. However, in the recent years Microsoft has been going hella more "hacker friendly", they even gave GeoHotz a free WP7 so he could jailbreak it for the community.

The biggest security loop-hole for XBL is linking the XBL to your MSN, and MSN accounts are easy to hack due to people's stupidity. That's not a flaw on MS, that's a flaw on the end user.

#43 Posted by vdortizo (119 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda said:

@Hailinel said:

@KaosAngel said:

Pro-tip: Ignore every post by KaosAngel. Remember that kid at school that used to come in saying he had an uncle that worked for Sony and had a PS5 with Grand Theft Auto 7? He also lost his virginity at age 12 to a chick who looked kinda like Sarah Michelle Gellar? And his other uncle worked for Game Informer so he was getting him into E3?

You have just won a piece of my heart, no better explanation could have been made as to who this KaosAngel guy is. I mean just look at his replies its like he's talking to himself in a corner...
#44 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda said:

Pro-tip: Ignore every post by KaosAngel.
This should be added to the site FAQ.

On topic, this is pretty fucking ridiculous, but as an outsider, that has made it fun to watch. I have no hate for Sony, but no sympathy either. Wonder how long this will go for until they finally nut up and take care of their business. Yes you are the victim, but you are not powerless. Do something useful.
#45 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -
@billnyethesciencepie said:
The endgame I think is obvious at this point:  THEYRE GOING TO HACK THE STAPLES CENTER OH GOD
i didn't shell out 775 million dollars for nothing god dammit 
#46 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

We used to look at nerds and go "You'll probably be working for them one day."

Now we look at them and go "You're personal information will be stolen by them one day."

#47 Posted by Mike76x (555 posts) -
@shinigami420 said:

Sony pictures russia just got hacked by lulzsec http://pastebin.com/Ubw6kCVW

In Soviet Russia, Sony Pictures Russia hacks you!

Sorry.
#48 Posted by tourgen (4432 posts) -

kinda makes me want to delete as many online accounts as possible and just use throwaway emails and logins.

#49 Posted by Master_Funk (728 posts) -

@vdortizo: Glad Im not the only one tired of his BS. I dont understand why people continue to post in his trolling threads

#50 Posted by NaCl (108 posts) -

For those who think 256bit encryption is some magic bullet, it's not. 

Computer security is like building a chamber to hold in poison gas, all it takes is one gap, one slip up in implementation ... and you are just lost. 

they even gave GeoHotz a free WP7 so he could jailbreak it for the community.

Lies. You are talking out of your ass.  
In this case why lock it down in the first place. LOL