• 53 results
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Granted, I haven't played some games.  I have yet to play Tales of Vesperia, Left 4 Dead (although I have played the demo, so id imagine thats good to go by), I haven't finished Fallout 3 and Resistance 2, and I've put off Socom, and a few others because frankly I don't think they're worth buying.

Anyway, my GOTY is Banjo: Nuts and Bolts.

I had doubts in the beggining, I was actually one of those Rare haters for a time, but after playing it over the past couple days, I've realized something.
This game is fucking awesome.

Not only is this game awesome, but it's actually better than the original 2 (and yes, I am a huge banjo fan since the first).

Seriously, at least play Banjo.  If you like creating stuff, you'll love this game.  Just don't be an idiot and put a wheel/ balloon on one corner of the vehicle and wonder why it doesn't work!

Others that came really close:  Ninja Gaiden 2, Fable 2, MGS4, Lost Odyssey.  However, ultimately, Banjo is just so unique and refreshing, while actually being fleshed out (yea blastworks, you're cool but you suck!).  Not to mention it's only $40 and came with Banjo 1 for the XBLA. 
--- And you know, if you thought that demo was sort of frustrating, don't be put off.  It is in a way.  Basically that's because you have less parts than the beggining in the full game.  You're just not given proper parts.  It's not that it's actually hard, but you have to make awkward vehicles imo do to space constraints.  I used completely different vehicles in those parts.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

Oh, christ.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Dead Space is still my GOTY so far, but Banjo is waaaayyy up there.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Well, considering Lost Odyssey came close for you, I'm willing to forget the rest of what you said.

ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ColMustard

prepare to get a new ass torn... People have a very hard time with opinion.  I have a thread over in the Fallout3 room that said the game may end up being my "best of gen" when all is said and done.  This place rioted like a Salem witch burning, you know, simple minded folks who fear different opinions.  Anyway, I haven't played Banjo yet, its not really on my radar right now, but in a few months when it drops in price I'll pick it up.

Manks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Manks

Fallout 3.  I didn't really like Banjo, but to each his own.  

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Arkthemaniac

How do you all say Fallout 3 with a straght face?

Then again, I've been told my copy was defective. Even so.

My "Best of Gen" is definitely Mario Galaxy as of now, and I highly doubt it will change.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Arkthemaniac said:
"How do you all say Fallout 3 with a straght face?

My "Best of Gen" is definitely Mario Galaxy as of now, and I highly doubt it will change.
"
Well some people like the appeal of open world games.  I think Fallout 3 is good, but it just feels sort of formulaic to me.

Personally, I was playing SMG in New Egg (holy shit, am I forgetting the name?) and i was seriously thinking "when is the fun going to begin".  It was a good game, but it just didn't hit the spot with me.  I really wish it did.

TO be honest, I sort of wished they screwed the whole space stuff. I really disliked, well, to put it simply, galaxies like space junk galaxy.  My favorite levels were the ice/fire one and the one where you use the flower to go through part of the level (it also has the worm in the apple and the square thing where you have to chase those damn bunnies!)
I've been really disappointed with my wii though, so expect some bias.

Opinions are great!
ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ColMustard
Arkthemaniac said:
"How do you all say Fallout 3 with a straght face?

"
The game is incredibly stylized.  Music, images, story arches, characters, stat management, perks... its a very unforgettable experience by comparison.  Mass Effect is currently my "best of gen" and to this day the only RPG I've ever immediately started over once the credits rolled.  I just think that Fallout is in the same strain as a game such as Mass Effect. 

p.s. sorry your game is busted, take it back and get an exchange.  I did it with condemned 1 and it worked wonders.  Honestly, I don't experience the bugs that others speak of.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PureRok

I'd say that Nuts and Bolts is one of the worst games to come out this year.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Arkthemaniac
ColMustard said:
 I just think that Fallout is in the same strain as a game such as Mass Effect.
I'd agree with you there, except I think Fallout 3 is better.
Mass Effect is a pile of dialogue trees and shit.
Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Psynapse

Havn't played Banjo yet... Dead Space is a great game but not GOTY... I'd say Gears 2 is the best GOTY contender so far.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jayge_

I would say Fallout 3 is my game of the year, but I absolutely love Nuts and Bolts, and I can see where Smug is definitely coming from. Glad you're enjoying it man :-D

Also, there hasn't been a more polished game this year than Banjo. No graphical glitches that I've seen, no game glitches, framerates do drop in extreme effects but the draw distance, attention to detail, hell the entire game engine is brilliantly constructed. It's a true achievement that Rare should be proud of regardless of Banjo's general reception.

ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ColMustard
Arkthemaniac said:
"ColMustard said:
 I just think that Fallout is in the same strain as a game such as Mass Effect.
I'd agree with you there, except I think Fallout 3 is better.
Mass Effect is a pile of dialogue trees and shit.
"
Fallout does some things better than Mass Effect, ex. much better, much more worth while sidequests as well as better inventory management.  Mass Effects gameplay mechanic, presentation and overall story smoke Fallout, but all of this is knit-picking two of the best games I've played since 2005 when the gen began.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By kush

It must have been a tough decision since no Halo game came out this year...

HTTenrai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By HTTenrai
PureRok said:
"I'd say that Nuts and Bolts is one of the worst games to come out this year."
Are you always this outright contentious?

Anyway, concerning the Fallout 3/Mass Effect comparison, something about Mass Effect bored me to tears. I racked up about 14 or so hours, but only had about 2-3 hours of fun the whole while. :(  I won't deny it's a great game, but there's something about BioWare's games that consistently turn me off.
Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Origina1Penguin

In the Banjo game really that good?  I've mostly written it off.  I may look into it later, but right now I honestly don't have enough money to invest in "maybe" entertainment.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jayge_
Origina1Penguin said:
"In the Banjo game really that good?  I've mostly written it off.  I may look into it later, but right now I honestly don't have enough money to invest in "maybe" entertainment."
For me, yes it is. Especially with a 40 dollar pricetag (25 if you discount the free arcade game I got). I've played for 16 hours already and unlocked slightly under 2/3 of the Jiggies, not even 1/8 of the other challenges and barely 1/6 of the time trials, I'm also missing tons of parts and worlds and other things from around town.

The game is loaded, and if you happen to find the ideas in it appealing to you (Banjo world, writing, story, design style, minor platforming, fun vehicle building, great worlds) then I say definitely go for it.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Big surprise, SDL. :P

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Demilich
Kush said:
"It must have been a tough decision since no Halo game came out this year..."
Dohohohohoho
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince

WAIT, wait wait... Banjo Kazooie over:

Prince of Persia
Metal Gear Solid 4
Gears of War 2
Resistance 2
Little Big Planet

Really?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
LiquidPrince said:
"WAIT, wait wait... Banjo Kazooie over:

Prince of Persia
Metal Gear Solid 4
Gears of War 2
Resistance 2
Little Big Planet

Really?"
While I have yet to play PoP, the rest easily.

I'm not sure if its hit or miss, but it's a definite hit with me.
Banjo is pure fun.  I don't know how else to put it.  You really should at least rent it to see if it's a hit with you.  Seriously, it's fucking good.

Seriously- building a helicopter with an attachment underneath and releasing it to do a quest is freaking wonderful. 
Engineering for newbs ftw!

Rare is being extremeley innovative with this game and trying something that simply hasn't been done before. 

This is my favorite banjo game.
And contrary to popular belief, this is a banjo game.  It feels like banjo.  It's core gameplay is completely different, but everything else about it makes it banjo.
I'd honestly be disappointed if they went pure platforming again and screwed the vehicles.  That'd suck.  Not that I don't like old banjo, I do, but this is so much of a better concept. 

Detachment part = best idea in video game history. Lol, I love it.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I can't say I've played any of those games, LP.

Left4Dead and Fallout 3 are hella fun, though.

I tend to not pick favorites, though. I have a hard time giving that to one title.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LiquidPrince
SmugDarkLoser said:
"LiquidPrince said:

Prince of Persia
Metal Gear Solid 4
Gears of War 2
Resistance 2
Little Big Planet

Really?"

Banjo is pure fun.  I don't know how else to put it.  You really should at least rent it to see if it's a hit with you.  Seriously, it's fucking good.

Seriously- building a helicopter with an attachment underneath and releasing it to do a quest is freaking wonderful. 

Rare is being extremeley innovative with this game and trying something that simply hasn't been done before. "

Except for LBP which allows you to make cars AS well as complete levels...

Whatever though, I'm glad you like the game. Enjoy it!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By jakob187

Left 4 Dead here.  Sure, it may be short on content, but it's fun every fucking time I play it.  Runners-up are Dead Space and Fallout 3.

Hell, just give me limb dismemberment at any point in a game and I'm fucking sold!!!  In all honesty, though, those three games offered me a bigger and longer gameplay experience than any other game this year...although I'm sure I'll be back on WAR someday.
Unreal_dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Unreal_dro

Banjo is fantastic, loving it right now 

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
LiquidPrince said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"LiquidPrince said:

Prince of Persia
Metal Gear Solid 4
Gears of War 2
Resistance 2
Little Big Planet

Really?"

Rare is being extremeley innovative with this game and trying something that simply hasn't been done before. "

Except for LBP which allows you to make cars AS well as complete levels...

Whatever though, I'm glad you like the game. Enjoy it!

"
No, LBP is much different.

In Banjo, you don't just make cars, you make cars with a purpose.
LBP is essentially a level creator.  The cars you make are purely aeshetics that can go to the right. The actual gameplay in LBP is pretty much like any 2d platformer.

Banjo is more along the lines of problem solving and a simple complexity. 

The only thing they really have in common is that they're platformers with kid-friendly overtones (aside from the many innuendos in Banjo- ex.  the part called "suck/blow" and the mission about the "dropped nuts"

I was looking for a demonstration, but instead I have to post this

Manks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Manks

ROFLcopter.  That's genius.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Origina1Penguin said:
"In the Banjo game really that good?  I've mostly written it off.  I may look into it later, but right now I honestly don't have enough money to invest in "maybe" entertainment."

To put it simply, it's my second favorite game this generation.
But some seem to hate it.  Just go to gametrailers.  They seem to think it's awful.  They seriously base it on valid reasons too!  And did you know that tooie and kazooie both came out in 1996! Yea, that's right.  N64 came out in september 96 and both came out within just a couple months of each other!  Yea...
CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By CoolDrMoney
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Origina1Penguin said:

To put it simply, it's my second favorite game this generation.
But some seem to hate it.  Just go to gametrailers.  They seem to think it's awful.  They seriously base it on valid reasons too!  And did you know that tooie and kazooie both came out in 1996! Yea, that's right.  N64 came out in september 96 and both came out within just a couple months of each other!  Yea..."
He never said they were both released in 96
Steven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Steven

Seriously?  No one even mentions GTAIV?  That's my pick without a doubt (though I haven't played MGS4).

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Milkman

Lost Odyssey came close? Really? REALLY?!

ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ColMustard
jakob187 said:
"Left 4 Dead here.  Sure, it may be short on content, but it's fun every fucking time I play it.  Runners-up are Dead Space and Fallout 3.
Hell, just give me limb dismemberment at any point in a game and I'm fucking sold!!!  In all honesty, though, those three games offered me a bigger and longer gameplay experience than any other game this year...although I'm sure I'll be back on WAR someday.
"
its been out for like 1 whole day and your judging others on what they think about GOTY? right.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Linkyshinks

Left 4 Dead all the way for me. I respect that it for you is the best game of the year, but I piss on this comment here-

"Not only is this game awesome, but it's actually better than the original 2 (and yes, I am a huge banjo fan since the first)."

First off, there is no fucking way this game even comes close to either of those charming games. Secondly, It's yet another fail from you to even make such a comparison.  You are comparing a current gen game with totally different gameplay mechanics to that of a humble platform game made on the N64 made 10 years ago. Thirdly, you call yourself a Banjo fan : /

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By get2sammyb

What I don't get is that the original poster claims he was a "Rare hater" and then claims he "loved the original two Banjo games".

Hmm?

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Marzy

I haven't really played many games this year, due to Nintendo's awful support for the Wii. So for me, my game of the year goes to Rhythm Tengoku Gold. It's one of the best DS games I've played and is great fun. Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Kart Wii are also two of my favourite games this year.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Linkyshinks
ColMustard said:
"jakob187 said:
"Left 4 Dead here.  Sure, it may be short on content, but it's fun every fucking time I play it.  Runners-up are Dead Space and Fallout 3.
"
its been out for like 1 whole day and your judging others on what they think about GOTY? right."

Well he would have had the demo for a while which gives you a good impression of the overall game and how everything works.

Marzy said:
"I haven't really played many games this year, due to Nintendo's awful support for the Wii. So for me, my game of the year goes to Rhythm Tengoku Gold. It's one of the best DS games I've played and is great fun. Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Kart Wii are also two of my favourite games this year."

I can understand your first and second choices Ross, but I will never understand your last, MK Wii was a bitter pill for me as you may know :), so is AC Wii for that matter, but I will getting that.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Demilich

Valve has a good rep. I think it's fair to call GOTY on L4D this early. Though I'm about 5% disappointed in the game, it's still possibly the best I've played all year.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By atejas

Eh, it's still Lost Odyssey followed by Dead Space for me.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pause422
Demilich said:
"Valve has a good rep. I think it's fair to call GOTY on L4D this early. Though I'm about 5% disappointed in the game, it's still possibly the best I've played all year."
Yeah I pretty much agree, I have these GOTY threads but at least hes only talking about 'his' GOTY and not asking what deserves it overall. L4D is probably mine as well, though I still wish it shipped with a few more levels and weapons. Even though I know it will have legs and get a lot more content, that was still the only slight disappointment for me so far, but then again if Valve waited until they did more content for that game we might not have it until near end of 09 :P
suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By suneku

Lost Odyssey was good... dunno if it's GOTY material with all the games that came out this year though.

Biggishmammal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Biggishmammal

I'm sure Banjo is great I'm definately gonna play through it some time. But it's not my GOTY

Aren't a lot of these games last year - SMG to name one.

A lot of games this year were brilliant including Gears 2 but I absolutely loved Dead Space it's my GOTY.

I've not put any ammount of time into LittleBigPlanet but if I did from what I've seen it would probably then be mine and lot of other people's GOTY.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Gameboi

Come on, we all know MGS4 is going to take it.  Much like Final Fantasy, that game is practically a religion to gamers.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By atejas
Gameboi said:
"Come on, we all know MGS4 is going to take it.  Much like Final Fantasy, that game is practically a religion to gamers."
Hey, if it's games that are likely to take it, it would either be that or GTA IV. This thread is posting your own personal GOTYs.
Do I look stupid enough to think Lost Odyssey has a chance of winning GOTY?
Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Marzy
Linkyshinks said:
"ColMustard said:
"jakob187 said:
"
its been out for like 1 whole day and your judging others on what they think about GOTY? right."

Well he would have had the demo for a while which gives you a good impression of the overall game and how everything works.

Marzy said:
"I haven't really played many games this year, due to Nintendo's awful support for the Wii. So for me, my game of the year goes to Rhythm Tengoku Gold. It's one of the best DS games I've played and is great fun. Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Kart Wii are also two of my favourite games this year."

I can understand your first and second choices Ross, but I will never understand your last, MK Wii was a bitter pill for me as you may know :), so is AC Wii for that matter, but I will getting that.

He he, it was mostly the amount of fun I had online, but only whilst it lasted. I haven't touched the game much now, so it's only one of my favourite games of the year, for that reason.

siLVUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By siLVUR

Meh, I really liked the old Banjo games so I'm very skeptical about this one. It looks neat and all, but I love the classics too much to ever want to see it change.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BoG
Demilich said:
"Valve has a good rep. I think it's fair to call GOTY on L4D this early. Though I'm about 5% disappointed in the game, it's still possibly the best I've played all year."
L4D and SSBB are probably the only games I haven't been disappointed in this year, but SSBB just isn't a candidate for me. It's between MGS4 and L4D, and potentially PoP in my opinion. Unfortunately, it won't be as tight as I had hoped. I thought Fallout 3 and Mirror's Edge would be on my list, but they aren't.
chacho89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By chacho89

wow banjo. i havent played, but the reviews dont say that it is a game of the year candidate, i would pick GTA4 or Lilttle Big Planet, i have yet to play Fallout 3 might buy next week.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#49  Edited By citizenkane
mandeponium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mandeponium

Lol, it may not be the GOTY but Gears 2 was damn fun.