#151 Posted by bunkerbuster05 (469 posts) -

@SquirrelGOD said:

As I've been saying since this morning, I trust Jeff and the crew MUCH more than I trust whiny idiots on the internet who freak out over the weirdest crap. Giant Bomb with a bigger budget can only lead to more awesome things in my book.

Basically this.

#152 Posted by BisonHero (6667 posts) -

@SpicyRichter said:

@Chris86 said:

@evanbower said:

@DJJoeJoe said:

@evanbower said:

@SpicyRichter said:

I just hope giantbomb doesn't look like this next week:

Ahhhhhhhh... it just screams "we have no respect for you or what we are doing."

Huh, I see zero ads on Gamespot. Also, you realize Giantbomb has ads right? If you aren't a premium member that is, if you are you'll never see them. Below is what I see at Gamespot:

Also, those Pot Pies look amazing and I wish I could see them for myself :S

I said nothing about who sees them or how to avoid them.. I was just stating that any website that doesn't mind representing themselves that way to even the smallest percentage of their users has zero integrity.

Some of you subscribers might not be aware, but this is how Giant Bomb looked to a lot of us recently:

If Giant Bomb does have ad skins next week, don't go blaming Gamespot, Giant Bomb have been doing this too.

Holy crap! Call me an ignorant subscriber. I don't even see that when I bring the site up and I'm not logged in though for some reason

I think the ads are region specific. Perhaps US and UK only, in a lot of cases? I live in Canada, and even when I'm not logged in to the site, I've never seen a single ad, nor did I ever see that Dead Island ad everybody kept getting mad about. The Meebo bar is pretty much the only thing that seemed to show up when I wasn't signed in.

#153 Posted by Christoffer (1858 posts) -

Oh, now I recognize John Davison. I knew I've heard that name before. He's been all over, hasn't he?

I think this will turn out great. Giant Bomb have always had a personal small town charm to it, but lets face it, it have grown too big to stay completely independent. All the technical (messed up videos, database maintenance), editorial (typos, grammar, lack of coverage), advertisement (crappy ads everywhere, that f-ing Halo ad a while back) issues is evidence of the lack in funding and staff.

I believe they can keep their special mentality up, as well as getting rid of all of these issues. I'm stoked.

#154 Posted by Cheesebob (1243 posts) -

This is going to be SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

#155 Posted by andy787 (18 posts) -

Can we get a YouTube or h264 encode of the video in the first post? I only have ios devices at the moment and haven't been able to see it :(

#156 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11275 posts) -

It's still crazy!

#157 Edited by KingCrimson4life (18 posts) -

The first order of business is for Giant Bomb to review Kane and Lynch 1 and give it ZERO STARS. Establish dominance on these fuckers immediately. If those worthless corporate fucks think they can rape giant bomb, then they got another thing coming.

#158 Posted by Mattyboysmith (61 posts) -

Last week off the back of Jeff's Mass Effect 3 review I wrote a forum post that, due to not thinking about what I was typing, more or less questioned his integrity. Needless to say, I feel pretty ashamed now.

#159 Posted by kingjulesxii (76 posts) -

Looking sexy, Jeffrey. I think I'll be getting myself some Dave-wear soon.

#160 Posted by AlisterCat (5629 posts) -

Hardcore Dave, representing.

#161 Posted by Homeslice (553 posts) -
@Deusx: You saw their old setup, right? It was basically cubes without walls. You could argue that cubes are a step up.
#162 Posted by ZmillA (2273 posts) -

So what does Gamespot/CBS get from this deal?

#163 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

Good for you Jeff.

Now shut up and make me some awesome videos about terrible games.

Thanks.

#164 Posted by Legend (2659 posts) -

This whole thing is messed up. I don't like it. I don't like how they kept us in the dark for so long. I don't like the way they announced it. I don't like how Rorie (from what I can tell from his tweets) had no idea they were going to announce it when they did. I don't like how even he doesn't know exactly what will happen to Screened. I don't like any of it.
This decision was %100 business. The staff knows how much many of us hate Gamespot. They know we would've supported them even more if they were about to go out of business. Seriously, imagine how much money people would give on, say, Kickstarter to keep the site going. But no, they didn't care about any of that. They just found themselves a good business deal and went with it whether the users like it or not. And from what I can tell, most users don't like it one bit. They didn't even explain why they made that decision in the first place, and they probably never will (I'm guessing money but who knows). I'm just so disappointed to say the least...

#165 Posted by FilipHolm (669 posts) -

The internet was right.

I am really really excited for this. And I'm not worried, I trust that the guys know what they're doing. And most importantly, this is a great thing for them, they'll get the opportunity to do what they want with this site. And for the people complaining, I get your concern but it's kinda selfish to think like you do. I am just happy for the guys and their new job, and wish them all the luck in the future. Happier gb crew with more money = Better content for us.

Now let's just prepare for the thousands of new members coming in... fuck..

#166 Posted by AgentZigzag (89 posts) -

Yay, Jeff's dad is okay.

#167 Posted by Eribuster (499 posts) -

As always, reality proves to be duller than imagination. While it is generally true that Jeff was fired over review scores and threats to pull advertising money, it wasn't one game that did it or one publisher pulling strings. It was a decision from a management team that didn't understand, care, or respect the editorial staff.

Glad to see the past laid to rest. Hopeful to the promises of the future.

#168 Edited by fjor (302 posts) -

@ZmillA: exactly.....that we dont know

#169 Posted by Orestes (39 posts) -

I trust your judgement guys ! Good luck with all this. I will still be a fan :)

And hey, maybe a reason to check back with gamespot as well !

Have an awesome weekend. Looking forward to more awesome GB-content

#170 Edited by bcrt2000 (55 posts) -

@Legend said:

This whole thing is messed up. I don't like it. I don't like how they kept us in the dark for so long. I don't like the way they announced it. I don't like how Rorie (from what I can tell from his tweets) had no idea they were going to announce it when they did. I don't like how even he doesn't know exactly what will happen to Screened. I don't like any of it. This decision was %100 business. The staff knows how much many of us hate Gamespot. They know we would've supported them even more if they were about to go out of business. Seriously, imagine how much money people would give on, say, Kickstarter to keep the site going. But no, they didn't care about any of that. They just found themselves a good business deal and went with it whether the users like it or not. And from what I can tell, most users don't like it one bit. They didn't even explain why they made that decision in the first place, and they probably never will (I'm guessing money but who knows). I'm just so disappointed to say the least...

This is pure speculation but there were probably a lot of moving parts. My belief is that Giant Bomb was the hot commodity and they could've been sold anytime in the last 6 months. However, they needed to find a home for Tested because everyone really only wanted Giant Bomb. Jeff said he knew by the x-mas break that they were probably going to be sold to CBS.

The deal for Tested probably came together in the last few days, so Giant Bomb had to move forward with their deal fairly quickly as well.

You also have to remember that the nature of business deals can be fragile and its in everyone's best interest to only know on a need to know basis. I'm sure Rorie knew about the sale before it happened, but he probably expected it to be a few more days for it to be finalized. But really, there was no way they'd tell the public until the deal was done.

#171 Posted by TheRandomKo (240 posts) -

Giantbomb has never given us a reason to doubt... Have a little faith guys...

#172 Posted by Tangeu (52 posts) -

Soooooo......videos won't be downloadable anymore?

#173 Posted by Krystal_Sackful (810 posts) -

Something about that virtual set looks reeeeaaaal wrong. All jaggy and stuff.

#174 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5036 posts) -

@bunkerbuster05 said:

@SquirrelGOD said:

As I've been saying since this morning, I trust Jeff and the crew MUCH more than I trust whiny idiots on the internet who freak out over the weirdest crap. Giant Bomb with a bigger budget can only lead to more awesome things in my book.

Basically this.

This. I mean, those comments... jeez.

#175 Posted by SomeJerk (3296 posts) -

"The staff knows how much many of us hate Gamespot."

Lemme correct that for ya.

"The staff knows how much many of us are uninformed bumbling retards who think that the Gamespot of 2012 is the Gamespot of 2007."

There.

#176 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Pretty rare to get so much insight into a business deal.

#177 Posted by Talis12 (488 posts) -

i got faith in the GB team, i do not have faith in the corporate money and the suits behind it.. if GB needed more money to make their dreams happen they should have done a kickstarter project.

no investor will give you a large amount of cash without having a few rules to follow.. i remain skeptical.

#178 Posted by Zapato (98 posts) -

I have complete fate in the GB crew for making these decisions. Good luck in the new office!

#179 Edited by PirateNeal (269 posts) -

People are stupid, I TRUST Jeff. Watching Jeff leave Gamespot was heart breaking, and out of tragedy came something better, Giantbomb. Now watching Jeff comeback to the company he helped built puts tears of joy in my eyes. Successes is the best revenge, not that he is after that, but you know what i mean.

Not to mention the leaps of faith from the people that followed. Ryan, Brad, Vinny.. how cool it must feel to come back to the place you quit your job, and basically be your own boss. THIS IS FARILY TAIL SHIT RIGHT HERE!!!

I have a feeling the best days are just about to begin. So proud of everyone!

sniff...sniff ; ]

#180 Posted by Giefcookie (608 posts) -

@FilipHolm said:

Now let's just prepare for the thousands of new members coming in... fuck..

I dont think there will be a lot of crossover, atleast to start with. There's a reason why people use either Gamespot or GB, they both have very discreet audiences. Its not like GB is some weird hidden gem that people only now find out about.

#181 Posted by Hicks (7 posts) -

This is amazing news guys, well done and looking forward to seeing what happens with the site

#182 Posted by razielrioux (128 posts) -

Very interesting, glad to see Giant Bomb getting some resources to help GB become more awesome. Best of luck to all involved.

#183 Posted by EgoCheck616 (782 posts) -

@Zapato said:

I have complete fate in the GB crew for making these decisions. Good luck in the new office!

You mean you have *faith

#184 Posted by BlackLagoon (1457 posts) -

All in all I'm positive about this deal - The people who screwed over Jeff are gone, while he's still there, and now he gets to use the resources they took from him exactly how he wants... Which means, uh, non-stop Trackmania and Nintendo downloads coverage? Oh, god, SOMEBODY PLEASE STOP THIS DEAL NOW!!!!

#185 Posted by Kete (53 posts) -

(.__. )

#186 Posted by Agamemnon (33 posts) -

Hey, as long as the Bomb stays the Bomb I`m with you guys all the way.

#187 Posted by Zapato (98 posts) -

@EgoCheck616: Sorry, English isn't my #1 language (I'm Dutch).

#188 Posted by jt1080 (61 posts) -

So many selfish ignorant comments. Be happy for them, jesus christ. This is awesome news and I want to congratulate everyone at the Giant Bomb team. You deserve this.

Can't wait to see what's next and collaborations with the GS team.

#189 Posted by Einherjar (71 posts) -

Wait what? Did I sleep for two weeks and wake up on April 1st?

#190 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Good luck guys! Perhaps some video reviews again?

#191 Posted by EchoEcho (830 posts) -

@SomeJerk said:

"The staff knows how much many of us hate Gamespot." Lemme correct that for ya. "The staff knows how much many of us are uninformed bumbling retards who think that the Gamespot of 2012 is the Gamespot of 2007." There.

This times a billion.

#192 Posted by Lord_Ozma (36 posts) -

@Agamemnon said:

Hey, as long as the Bomb stays the Bomb I`m with you guys all the way.

Agreed. Whatever works for the GB crew and allows them to keep doin' what they do.

#193 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

I believe in Giantbomb.

#194 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

@EchoEcho said:

@SomeJerk said:

"The staff knows how much many of us hate Gamespot." Lemme correct that for ya. "The staff knows how much many of us are uninformed bumbling retards who think that the Gamespot of 2012 is the Gamespot of 2007." There.

Indeed. After listening to Jeff's reasoning for the decision, I feel that he made an informed business decision that will help the brand that he helped create. It's ok to forgive and move on if GB and GS's interests are both served in joining forces. Besides, he said that the people involved in his termination aren't there anymore, so that helps, too.

#195 Posted by sean_npr (13 posts) -

Hah, I had been muttering to myself about the lack of content this passed week or so... Wondering how much time in the GB offices y'all spent getting actual work done =D

Congratulations guys,

I have absolute trust that this is a good move for you the creators and us the consumers. I know y'all wouldn't be doing it otherwise.

Now get back to work please.

#196 Posted by pandorasbox (303 posts) -

Something about this all feels super dirty. I put my trust in GB here, but i remain skeptical. Love you guys, don't change a thing!

#197 Posted by Will_M (345 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen said:

@bunkerbuster05 said:

@SquirrelGOD said:

Basically this.

I know, I'm super excited to see what Vinny and Dave can cook up during big events like PAX, E3 and GOTY. Change is good!

#198 Posted by DeadBob (11 posts) -

At least all the videos being shot from Dave house finally make sense.

#199 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2695 posts) -

@jonnyboy said:

Gamespot users: "how am i get to write FAQs?"

Fixed.

#200 Posted by patrick (563 posts) -

@SevenRobotCats said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

@bunkerbuster05 said:

@SquirrelGOD said:

Basically this.

I know, I'm super excited to see what Vinny and Dave can cook up during big events like PAX, E3 and GOTY. Change is good!

Between the move to the original Whiskey office. To the addition of premium subs. To the switch to YouTube. To the addition of the meebo bar. People will complain and then return to just about everything.