This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by kishinfoulux (2253 posts) -
#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (35981 posts) -

Nope, nothing overly accusatory or potentially biased about this topic.

#3 Edited by Humanity (8801 posts) -

Well this could be finally interesting for once.

#4 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1351 posts) -

this whole thing again...

#5 Edited by Animasta (14648 posts) -

That evidence doesn't prove anything beyond the fact that she's not recording the game footage herself.

but hey more topics about anita is just what this forum needed!

#6 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3002 posts) -

just because she grabbed the videos doesn't mean she didn't play the game.

#7 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

Stealing video footage doesn't prove that she didn't play the games nor that she's a big fat phony.

It does prove that she's a filthy thief though, assuming that the evidence is accurate.

#8 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

So she used footage from others for the videos? That doesn't mean she didn't play the games. This topic is dumb.

#9 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Everytime a games site uses screenshots in a review that were given as part of a press pack instead of taking them themselves I just know it's because no one there ever played the game. Or something.

#10 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

Have you watched the video? these are all legit points and not in any way biased

#11 Posted by shivermetimbers (763 posts) -

Please give her more attention and hate...That's all we need.

#12 Posted by wjb (1636 posts) -

I don't care about Anita Sarkeesian. She hasn't updated her Tropes series in almost two months.

I have nothing against her personally, but oh my god why are we still talking about this?

#13 Edited by EarthBowl (164 posts) -

Developing an opinion on something is often a "two way street". Either you see something from afar, judging it on what it is and deriving to a conclusion from it, or you physically engage in what your seeing giving a different perspective and often times a "complete" experience allowing your conclusion to have a much stronger view towards it. I do not follow her as a "internet personality" or watch her videos so whatever you think of her is your prerogative and your opinion.

#14 Posted by Kinapuff (244 posts) -

@i_stay_puft: While it could be argued whether or not she actually does have a proper insight into the games she mention if she hasn't played them herself, one has to wonder, where did all that kickstarter money go if she didn't even bother purchasing, capturing and play all those games.

#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (35981 posts) -

@darji said:

@video_game_king said:

Have you watched the video? these are all legit points and not in any way biased

No, mainly because I haven't watched the original stuff, so I wouldn't be able to respond to this in an informed manner. Besides, I was more referring to the thread than the actual video. Some real vitriolic language there.

#16 Edited by JasonR86 (9604 posts) -

lol

#17 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@animasta said:

That evidence doesn't prove anything beyond the fact that she's not recording the game footage herself.

To be really fair here she even quoted wikipedia articles quite a bit as well. She seems really lazy in this regard.

#18 Edited by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@darji said:

@video_game_king said:

"Anita Sarkeesian exposed for the fraud she is" is not a unbiased statement.

also who cares if she quoted wikipedia, christ. This is a internet video, not a term paper

#19 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Strawmen catch on fire so quickly.
Grasping for them while they're on fire just makes you look like an idiot

#20 Posted by figurehead00 (139 posts) -

What does her not recording all the footage herself have to do with anything? Does it invalidate her points?

It's amazing how much people hate this woman. Sadly I guess it's not surprising though.

#21 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -
#22 Posted by Humanity (8801 posts) -

@animasta said:

We haven't had a good Anita topic in quite a while though!

Seriously though, it does showcase a rather large lack of integrity on her part since she never mentions that she was using other peoples footage.

#23 Posted by spookytapes (261 posts) -

OH MY GOD enough already. Who cares?!

How butthurt are these dudes? Spoiler: VERY BUTTHURT

#24 Posted by searliat (3 posts) -

Neckbeards are still mad

#25 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

This should go well...

#26 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@animasta said:

@darji said:

@video_game_king said:

"Anita Sarkeesian exposed for the fraud she is" is not a unbiased statement.

also who cares if she quoted wikipedia, christ. This is a internet video, not a term paper

Wrong: It is also made to be used as material for women study sessions in Universities. And there is the point where it becomes sketchy.

#27 Edited by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@humanity: a lack of integrity, or just laziness? I tend to think the latter; and she'll apologize and probably pay them something for it, and find someone else who can provide it for free or pay someone to do it.

this is not proof she's a terrible fraud, as the topic title implies.

@darji ooh are you going to talk about the secret cabal of man hating feminists in uni's next? the people that actually like listening to this shit would have forgotten her by now, WAY WORSE stuff has been taught in college, and holy shit who cares.

#28 Posted by Slag (3990 posts) -

Oh this again.

man let it go, people.

#31 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@animasta said:

@humanity: a lack of integrity, or just laziness? I tend to think the latter; and she'll apologize and probably pay them something for it, and find someone else who can provide it for free or pay someone to do it.

this is not proof she's a terrible fraud, as the topic title implies.

The title is stupid but the claim is legit in the Video. Also the video is really not biased he just asked questions and made clear that this is no copyright infringement etc.

#32 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4151 posts) -

Uh. I'm glad I didn't donate to her Kickstarter. If its true.

#35 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@animasta: Only there is worse stuff it does not justify this at all. And these are the femnists from tomorrow and as such thy will be manipulated with such bullshit. We already have statements from feminists themself that they even use wrong statistics in these sessions to keep the "fight" going.

#36 Posted by StarvingGamer (7987 posts) -

I have no horse in this fight, I just wanted to make this picture.

#37 Posted by TheHT (10871 posts) -

Wait, since when were people assuming she was ever playing all these games to completion herself?

#38 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

What's sad is the amount of work the people who hate her go through to try to find any kind of flaw no matter how trivial to hold against her. Those people are fucking pathetic.

#39 Edited by kishinfoulux (2253 posts) -

Love people calling this biased. Proof is in the pudding. But hey if you're okay with her pocketing all that Kickstarter money, stealing other people's work, and being a lying thief then hey more power to you.

I also love the "who cares if she played the games" argument? Are you fucking serious? Man people will defend this chick to the death I swear.

#40 Posted by zenmastah (873 posts) -

Technically it doesnt matter if she played the games or watched a video of said games being played.

The game is the game.

#41 Posted by Chaser324 (6322 posts) -

While it's probably fair to question some of her integrity and business practices, I don't think that using someone else's captured gameplay footage really implies anything about the validity of her statements. All of us here are probably able to wax philosophical about games we haven't played in years, and I don't think doing the legwork to capture screens or footage would do much to help or hinder any points we might make. If you want to make rational arguments against her statements, that's fine, but this is really stretching.

#42 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

I have no horse in this fight, I just wanted to make this picture.

Thank you, this made this topic all worthwhile :)

#43 Edited by kishinfoulux (2253 posts) -

@theht said:

Wait, since when were people assuming she was ever playing all these games to completion herself?

I'm sure you've seen that infamous photo of her with all the 360 games right? I'm pretty sure the idea was to actually PLAY the games and then critique them. Not just read Wikipedia. So where did all the money go? Because the two videos she's put out thus far (that took forever mind you) certainly weren't anything special that required that amount of funding or her original amount.

#44 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

What's sad is the amount of work the people who hate her go through to try to find any kind of flaw no matter how trivial to hold against her. Those people are fucking pathetic.

You can say the same about Anita calling christmas songs rape songs, or Mario games sexist. Hate towards something is a great motivator.

#45 Posted by Demoskinos (14561 posts) -

@wjb: This. Lets all quit talking about her either way. Problem solved!

#46 Edited by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

Who is this woman?

I see this stuff pop up every once in a while and I don't pick up from the conversation what people's problem with her is, and I don't really care enough to dig deeply and find out. She just looks like a YouTuber...

#47 Edited by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@jazgalaxy: she's literally just a youtuber that had a kickstarter, 4chan/reddit folks attacked her (fairly harsh and fairly without provocation), she got way more money than she needed (or deserved) because of the 4chan/reddit assault and then she took a long time to make the videos and people attacked her for that and then she made them and they attacked her for that and this whole thing is the stupidest fucking thing.

#48 Posted by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

...her pocketing all that Kickstarter money...

I love the irony in the people who are white knighting for the KS backers. At first they were angry that that people were giving her money for her projects. Now they are angry that, in there minds, she is not fulfilling her end of the deal with all that money.

Also, there is no proof she did anything wrong. Does this guy know that she didn't ask for permission to use that footage? Does he know for a fact that no one played the games? He accuses her of forming her opinions without playing the games, much like a lot of the vitriol spouted against her is from people who have never actually watched her videos.

You've already devoted more attention to her than I ever will, and all I had to do was just go about my day as normal.

#49 Edited by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

It's ok, the people dumb enough to sponsor this nonsense don't really need or deserve protecting. She could blow it all on cushions and ponies for all I care.

#50 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

That's enough internet for me today, I think. People get so petty...