This topic is locked from further discussion.

#201 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

@patman99 said:

@jasonr86 said:

Hey guys, what's on second?

Who?

No who's on first. What's on second?

#202 Posted by LibrorumProhibitorum (335 posts) -

Anita? Never met her.

Goodnight, folks!

#203 Edited by Xymox (2068 posts) -
@jasonr86 said:

@patman99 said:

@jasonr86 said:

Who?

So who's on third?

#204 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3558 posts) -

I'm essentially an Anita Sarkeesian detractor, but I'll be happy to admit that her not taking the time / effort to capture scenes from each game herself does nothing to invalidate any argument that she might be making.

But for anyone who is defending her work and her video series, I'm still looking for the answer to this question: According to Sarkeesian and anyone who feels the same way that she does, what place is there for a positive female character in a modern violent video game? I've posted this before, but no one has taken me up on the argument. Here's the thought process:

I'm now convinced that the problem many feminists have with video games is aggression and violence. There is no place for their view of positive female characters in modern action games.

The protagonist = Man with boobs, which means a woman who uses aggression and violence to solve problems.

Supporting role = Only there to help the man, has no real agency of her own.

Plot element = Woman becomes an object that only exists to give the man a goal, or motivation.

Supporting enemy = Encourages violence against women, man with boobs, makes women look bad.

Primary antagonist = Encourages violence against women, man with boobs, makes women look bad.

So yeah, as long as your game is violent, you literally can't help but being accused of sexism in one way or another. I'm convinced this is the sort of thing that led to the PAX panel about all of this going too far. Developers can't put a female or minority character in their game without that character being immediately placed under a microscope by every shitty game blogger on the internet looking for page hits, and that IS a problem.

If Sarkeesian wasn't a feminist and was going after violent video games, gamers would want her ridden out of town on a rail. It seems to me that's exactly what she's doing, but she's doing it from a feminist perspective rather than a pacifist perspective. If someone cares to make a counter argument and explain something that I may have missed, I'd be happy to hear it. Again, from a feminist perspective, what acceptable place does a female character have in a violent video game?

In the hopes of actually having modicum of thoughtful debate in this thread, I'm quoting this again for the new page.

#205 Edited by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Can we talk about if Akuma or Sakura will get nerfed for Ultra Street Fighter IV pls?

Both along with Cammy. :)

#206 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -
#207 Edited by Patman99 (1558 posts) -
#208 Edited by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -
#209 Edited by siaynoq (86 posts) -

Anita is definitely a fraud at worst and an inept academic at best, but now I'm just bored with the controversy surrounding her. She doesn't deserve any of it because she simply doesn't deserve ANY attention. She's not worth anyone's attention ever. She's just making a career out of her professional victimhood and this is far more obvious now that we've seen the products of her overfunded kickstarter.

#210 Posted by TruthTellah (8537 posts) -

#211 Edited by geirr (2476 posts) -

Having opinions (agreeable or not) isn't exactly fraudulent, is it?

#212 Edited by siaynoq (86 posts) -
#213 Posted by Nicholas (376 posts) -

So she used footage from others for the videos? That doesn't mean she didn't play the games. This topic is dumb.

#214 Posted by ProfessorK (816 posts) -

I have no horse in this fight, I just wanted to make this picture.

(Wrestling chant) THIS IS AWESOME!

Picture aside, who?

#215 Edited by Anund (876 posts) -

@spaceinsomniac said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

I'm essentially an Anita Sarkeesian detractor, but I'll be happy to admit that her not taking the time / effort to capture scenes from each game herself does nothing to invalidate any argument that she might be making.

But for anyone who is defending her work and her video series, I'm still looking for the answer to this question: According to Sarkeesian and anyone who feels the same way that she does, what place is there for a positive female character in a modern violent video game? I've posted this before, but no one has taken me up on the argument. Here's the thought process:

I'm now convinced that the problem many feminists have with video games is aggression and violence. There is no place for their view of positive female characters in modern action games.

The protagonist = Man with boobs, which means a woman who uses aggression and violence to solve problems.

Supporting role = Only there to help the man, has no real agency of her own.

Plot element = Woman becomes an object that only exists to give the man a goal, or motivation.

Supporting enemy = Encourages violence against women, man with boobs, makes women look bad.

Primary antagonist = Encourages violence against women, man with boobs, makes women look bad.

So yeah, as long as your game is violent, you literally can't help but being accused of sexism in one way or another. I'm convinced this is the sort of thing that led to the PAX panel about all of this going too far. Developers can't put a female or minority character in their game without that character being immediately placed under a microscope by every shitty game blogger on the internet looking for page hits, and that IS a problem.

If Sarkeesian wasn't a feminist and was going after violent video games, gamers would want her ridden out of town on a rail. It seems to me that's exactly what she's doing, but she's doing it from a feminist perspective rather than a pacifist perspective. If someone cares to make a counter argument and explain something that I may have missed, I'd be happy to hear it. Again, from a feminist perspective, what acceptable place does a female character have in a violent video game?

In the hopes of actually having modicum of thoughtful debate in this thread, I'm quoting this again for the new page.

I'm in the same boat. I think the whole "sexism in video games" discussion is stupid because there is no way to win for developers, for exactly the reasons you listed in your post. I also agree that whether or not Anita captured her own footage or not is completely irrelevant. In fact, I don't even feel she has to play the games herself. Watching a Let's play or finding some other means of watching the game play out seems fine by me, it's enough to get a feeling for the story and the characters.

Anyway, good post!

#216 Posted by Fallen189 (4941 posts) -

I got killed on Dota2 last night as Windrunner by Sven. It was basically me being raped online by a man. Oh no.

#217 Posted by Levius (1077 posts) -

Hey internet, you do realise if you don't agree with her point of view, you don't have to collectively become her creepy stalker, and watch and disseminate every thing she has ever done. You could just ignore her, you have made point vigorously, and we get it by now. I don't think there are a ton of people waiting for that final piece of evidence to be converted. To be honest all you are doing are giving her a massive free advertising campaign, and a lot of free material for her next lecture on nasty people on the internet. Why not try spending your time on the internet looking at stuff that you like, there are hundreds of thousands of other videos about video games on YouTube you could watch instead for a start. Just let it go.

#218 Posted by spookytapes (261 posts) -

@amatureidiot: I don't think MRAs know how to be anything other then creepy stalkers.

#219 Posted by EveretteScott (1449 posts) -

@wjb said:

I have nothing against her personally, but oh my god why are we still talking about this?

It's why non-important people become e-famous and don't go away. No one can just shut the hell up about things. They think they're opinion HAS to be heard about something or someone they dislike.

#220 Edited by Bismarck (430 posts) -

These threads are pointless, they are creating unnecessary e-drama, people are tired of em.

#221 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4929 posts) -

It feels so good to just not give a fuck one way or another.

@patman99 said:

@xymox said:
@jasonr86 said:

@patman99 said:

@jasonr86 said:

Who?

So who's on third?

What?

Are you guys talking about baseball?

#222 Posted by joshwent (2118 posts) -

@amatureidiot: I don't think MRAs know how to be anything other then creepy stalkers.

Wow. Do we have to hate, everybody?

#223 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

Guys stahp. You're making us look bad.

#224 Posted by Snail (8580 posts) -

@aronman789 said:

So she used footage from others for the videos? That doesn't mean she didn't play the games. This topic is dumb.

Yeah this is hardly "stone cold evidence" of anything other than that she used footage from let's plays, @kishinfoulux.

#225 Posted by Tajasaurus (794 posts) -

Come on guys, we're all better than this. Not much better, but better none the less.

#226 Edited by FlipperDesert (2081 posts) -

@jazgalaxy said:

Who is this woman?

I see this stuff pop up every once in a while and I don't pick up from the conversation what people's problem with her is, and I don't really care enough to dig deeply and find out. She just looks like a YouTuber...

Games writer makes a kickstarter to do a higher-budget version of her opinion video piece on feminism in gaming, half the internet sends her death threats because she's a woman with an opinion, the other half funds her series as a show of support and now a bunch of angry neckbeards spend a bunch of time trying to harass and discredit the woman for making something that doesn't affect them in any way.

Pretty sad, huh?

#227 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

It feels so good to just not give a fuck one way or another.

@patman99 said:

@xymox said:
@jasonr86 said:

@patman99 said:

@jasonr86 said:

Who?

So who's on third?

What?

Are you guys talking about baseball?

Nope. Cricket.

#228 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@jazgalaxy said:

Who is this woman?

I see this stuff pop up every once in a while and I don't pick up from the conversation what people's problem with her is, and I don't really care enough to dig deeply and find out. She just looks like a YouTuber...

Games writer makes a kickstarter to do a higher-budget version of her opinion video piece on feminism in gaming, half the internet sends her death threats because she's a woman with an opinion, the other half funds her series as a show of support and now a bunch of angry neckbeards spend a bunch of time trying to harass and discredit the woman for making something that doesn't affect them in any way.

Pretty sad, huh?

You try to make Anita liek kidn of a hero which is she is not. She is killing the discussion about stupid characters in video games rather than helping it. She is just following her agenda and everyone who is against her anf her agenda is called a terrible person and women hater.

Pretty sad indeed.

#229 Posted by BonOrbitz (2160 posts) -

#230 Posted by RVonE (4605 posts) -

@darji said:

@flipperdesert said:

@jazgalaxy said:

Who is this woman?

Pretty sad, huh?

You try to make Anita liek kidn of a hero which is she is not. She is killing the discussion about stupid characters in video games rather than helping it. She is just following her agenda and everyone who is against her anf her agenda is called a terrible person and women hater.

Pretty sad indeed.

Explain how she is killing the discussion.

#231 Posted by Twinsunian (34 posts) -

I wish people would just shut up and enjoy the video games.

#232 Posted by 49th (2691 posts) -

Oh man, I don't understand what kind of people can care about this stupid shit so much.

#233 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@darji said:

@flipperdesert said:

@jazgalaxy said:

Who is this woman?

Pretty sad, huh?

Pretty sad indeed.

She is not a hero, but why are you wasting your time bitching about what a single person who, aperantly, even said in her kickstarter, never even owned any games. Thinks about games.

Its like if all the sudden I disidded to move to Japan and critique the politics on the news. WHO THE FUCK CARES.

#234 Posted by EXTomar (4500 posts) -

Again it is amusing how obsessed with people are with her for voicing her opinion. She isn't out there trying to ban video games or any of the other nasty stuff people should be up in arms about and yet she is watched and followed (and harassed) far more than the likes of Jack Thompson.

#235 Posted by HerpDerp (133 posts) -

The video itself asks a question, yet you seem to pose an answer, how is that?

#236 Edited by mikey87144 (1664 posts) -

Uh who is this woman. I've never heard of her.

#237 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7051 posts) -

This thread is still dumb. And the title is still pure sensationalism. And I just don't understand why people still give a shit. I just...I'm so tired of this conversation. The people that backed her seem okay with her schedule but her detractors DEMANDED that she release her video because...reasons? "Shut up, Anita! You're wrong and you're just a dirty feminazi and your series is dumb! But hey...while I've got your attention, when you gonna put out your next video? Just wondering as I have nothing else to point my hate at."

#238 Posted by TheHT (10890 posts) -

This thread is still going I see.

#239 Posted by Freshbandito (654 posts) -

@darji said:

@flipperdesert said:

@jazgalaxy said:

Who is this woman?

Pretty sad, huh?

Pretty sad indeed.

You know the problem with this stance? Everyone who brings it up never makes an attempt to start or engage in the "intelligent discussion" they claim she's avoiding, instead of providing an arguable, interesting and valid counterpoint to her argument they instead try to insult her and her method of getting her point across.

Look at this thread, this pathetic excuse for a thread. Only one person has tried to provide a good counter argument to her points and that was @spaceinsomniac and noone has latched onto his post and run with the discussion, instead it's just epithets being thrown at her, her supporters, her detractors and everyone in between.

Are we really all so pathetic as to have this ridiculous video about her videos being one of the biggest talking points on the forum right now? let's all grow the hell up a bit eh.

#240 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@rvone: Using ridiculous examples and claims for example. Instead blame it on the real reason such characters exist which is bad writing in general. She tries to make many loved Videogames like the old Nintendo ones sexist and misogynistic. Also Anita is a anti sex feminists so everything involes women with less clothing or big boobs is sexist to her. Every women in media that does not fit in her own characteristic she has explained in her thesis back then is sexist.

For example: Strong female characters like a Bayonetta or tomb Raider are just man with boobs. She really belives that every woman should solve her conflicts with talking instead of fighting. Being shy is a bad characteristic for a women. Also self confidence is for her only a positive male attribute which alone is just ridiculous

And these are just a few examples how Anita is. Everytime she is mentioned this topic and discussion gets out of hand because people are really annoyed about her and not because she is right but because of her view and opinion.

#241 Posted by villainy (538 posts) -

Flamebaiting YouTube spam. Why hasn't this been locked yet?

#242 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@freshbandito: I often tried but again the Name Anita alone kills the discussion which is very sad for me since I really play games because of the story and its characters and I would love to have better written characters.

#243 Posted by FlipperDesert (2081 posts) -

@darji said:

@flipperdesert said:

@jazgalaxy said:

Who is this woman?

Pretty sad, huh?

Pretty sad indeed.

No, she's making an opinion piece. It is exactly the same as an essay on a book or a film in a published journal, it is someone making an argument for how they read into a text in a point-by-point fashion. It's damn well encouraged that someone reads into the topic themselves and debates the piece or disagrees with it because the piece is meant to provoke discussion. What people are actually doing is calling out the creator of the series and making personal threats of rape and death and do you know what? It's fucking embarrassing to be a part of the same subculture as anyone who could take an essay that personally. You know what happens if you're in the middle of a critical studies lecture on feminism and stand up and yell, "YOU'RE WRONG, WHORE!" because you don't like it? Well, you're not in a critical studies class for long.

It's like this entire thing is somehow prohibiting people from getting a game and enjoying it, which isn't true because the whole video series can be totally ignored by someone if they wanted. She could just make her little thing, the people that paid for it can enjoy it and everyone would be happy. I haven't watched a full episode of it because I'm not the target audience, but given the vitriol people are spewing at her I can see why it's needed. Don't like it? Don't watch it.

#244 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@darji said:

@flipperdesert said:

@jazgalaxy said:

Who is this woman?

Pretty sad, huh?

Pretty sad indeed.

No, she's making an opinion piece. It is exactly the same as an essay on a book or a film in a published journal, it is someone making an argument for how they read into a text in a point-by-point fashion. It's damn well encouraged that someone reads into the topic themselves and debates the piece or disagrees with it because the piece is meant to provoke discussion. What people are actually doing is calling out the creator of the series and making personal threats of rape and death and do you know what? It's fucking embarrassing to be a part of the same subculture as anyone who could take an essay that personally. You know what happens if you're in the middle of a critical studies lecture on feminism and stand up and yell, "YOU'RE WRONG, WHORE!" because you don't like it? Well, you're not in a critical studies class for long.

It's like this entire thing is somehow prohibiting people from getting a game and enjoying it, which isn't true because the whole video series can be totally ignored by someone if they wanted. She could just make her little thing, the people that paid for it can enjoy it and everyone would be happy. I haven't watched a full episode of it because I'm not the target audience, but given the vitriol people are spewing at her I can see why it's needed. Don't like it? Don't watch it.

Best part about it is all the people calling her names and send all those hatefull messages (including people in this thread) are the sole reason she started the series in the first place.
The irony of it all is that those people don't realize that they are the problem and that the world would be a much better place without them

#245 Edited by gaminghooligan (1413 posts) -

This thread is still dumb. And the title is still pure sensationalism. And I just don't understand why people still give a shit. I just...I'm so tired of this conversation. The people that backed her seem okay with her schedule but her detractors DEMANDED that she release her video because...reasons? "Shut up, Anita! You're wrong and you're just a dirty feminazi and your series is dumb! But hey...while I've got your attention, when you gonna put out your next video? Just wondering as I have nothing else to point my hate at."

Exactly.

#246 Posted by Fattony12000 (7053 posts) -

material for women study sessions in Universities.

#247 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

First of all people who call her whore or insult her otherwise are stupid and not worth talking to. However this series became way more than just a video series or a youtube blog video. Sites like Kotaku try to make really money with this and just to provoke clicks they call everything they can find sexist like Dragon Crown, Anti gay like Persona 4 and Far Cry blood dragon and so on.

Every female character now is getting judged and if there is only one thing wrong they call it sexist and I am sorry but I am fucking tired of it and annoyed. Calling stuff like Persona 4 anti gay, a Tomb Raider Torture porn or a Dragon Crown Sexist is just stupid and it helps in no way to solve the real issue here. Hell even games like a The last of us now is just a male power fantasy story and honestly this pisses me off greatly . Each claim is getting more and more ridiculous And Anita is smart is delaying her videos for a long time to always have new stuff to push her stupid agenda. I can not wait till her series is finally over so maybe wr then can talk about the real issue here. But given her timeframe it will take her and her student which are helping 2 more years.

#248 Posted by bonbolapti (1599 posts) -

This is pretty much the most immature video response about Anita Sarkeesian that I've ever seen.

It's not a question of it she played it or not, she still did the fucking research she wanted to do. Why is the internet so bull headed in taking her down rather than participating in whatever discussion she wants to present?

#249 Edited by Amikron (252 posts) -

#250 Posted by FlipperDesert (2081 posts) -

@darji said:

@flipperdesert said:

First of all people who call her whore or insult her otherwise are stupid and not worth talking to. However this series became way more than just a video series or a youtube blog video. Sites like Kotaku try to make really money with this and just to provoke clicks they call everything they can find sexist like Dragon Crown, Anti gay like Persona 4 and Far Cry blood dragon and so on.

Every female character now is getting judged and if there is only one thing wrong they call it sexist and I am sorry but I am fucking tired of it and annoyed. Calling stuff like Persona 4 anti gay, a Tomb Raider Torture porn or a Dragon Crown Sexist is just stupid and it helps in no way to solve the real issue here. Hell even games like a The last of us now is just a male power fantasy story and honestly this pisses me off greatly . Each claim is getting more and more ridiculous And Anita is smart is delaying her videos for a long time to always have new stuff to push her stupid agenda. I can not wait till her series is finally over so maybe wr then can talk about the real issue here. But given her timeframe it will take her and her student which are helping 2 more years.

Perhaps, but the sad fact is that she would still be a no-name blogger making these for her own enjoyment if that screenshot of the comments on her kickstarter hadn't spread. Kotaku makes this stuff because they think they can generate hits for their site, negative or otherwise, but the fact that it's being discussed suggests the industry's maturing and we're starting to think about how we're presenting ourselves to the outside world. If we can start making games for more than the 18-34 males demographic? That's awesome, but right now there's still a stigma associated with playing games and we're stereotyped as antisocial CoD addicts. That sucks, I think games are cool and I want other people to actually see why, but the second you talk to someone who doesn't seriously play them they stop listening.

It's all subjective, of course. I think some of those games were asking to be called out, the artist of Dragon's Crown drew a bunch of naked men in response to complaints about the art style because if the author of that article doesn't like women with G-cup breasts spilling out of low-cut tops then he must be gay, right? That suggests they were very intentionally being drawn as sexual objects for male players and not for female players. While I'm not going to speak for someone else, I'd imagine that's pretty weird. On the other hand, I don't think Persona 4's homophobic, I think it's pretty progressive for a JRPG. I'm more disappointed they just didn't take a risk and actually make Kanji gay. He was still my favourite character (that I never used) though. I also wouldn't assign it solely to her gender, but Tomb Raider also legitimately made me feel uncomfortable when Lara would get crushed under something. Again, it's just criticism and people shouldn't take any of it as if it's going to instantly change the world but we need to realize that not everyone that plays games is a straight white guy in their early twenties any more. That's just how things are.

I should also mention as a video editor that making something on the scale of the FemFreq videos with the production values that Anita's putting in on her own is pretty impressive at the rate she's making them, that's a whole lot of work.