Anita Sarkeesian was on The Colbert Report tonight

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@rmanthorp said:

Well that was fun. I love how people STILL believe Colbert is being serious when he's ribbing on guests.

His 2006 White House Correspondent's Dinner speech roasting Bush for about a half hour was incredible. That he wasn't straight up murdered and/or ostracized by the media at large for what he pulled off is amazing. My only suspicion is that people back then still weren't sure if he was joking or not, although Mrs. Bush at the end can clearly be seen to have said "Fuck You" right to his face.

Loading Video...

I like that folks have asked him about it over the years, and he is always quite coy about it.

Back in 2012, someone recounted a question and answer segment before the show started:

“What did Laura Bush whisper to you after your speech?” Colbert said this isn’t the first time he’s been asked this, and turned it back to 20-something girl who asked the question. “What do you think she said?” Colbert asked, grinning politely. The girl responded, “Did she tell you to fuck off?” Without missing a beat, Colbert responded, “Are you asking if the former First Lady of the United States of America told me to fuck off after giving a speech about her husband?”

The audience erupted, Colbert never answered the question and instead yelled, “Let’s make a show everybody!” He tossed his microphone in the air (which someone else caught) and descended to his “C” shaped desk for final pampering and production notes.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It's funny when you think you know what something is about, but turn out to not really know anything at all. I thought I knew what GamerGate was, and then I see this thread and I have no fudging clue at all.

People are offended by simple and non-offensive comments, people are not offended by offensive comments. Left is right, and up is salt. I just don't know anymore.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@shagge said:

Well, it was a nice break from the nonsense while it lasted, but here comes the shit-tsunami once more.

I never understood why trolls try so hard to get people angry, when all you have to do to set the internet ablaze is to say "Anita Sarkeesian did a thing!". Even mentioning politics doesn't get the rage brewing as quickly.

the thing was there was no break for the women involved. they are still bieng attacked daily.

I'm aware. I'm talking about the inevitable aftermath of somebody mentioning Anita. Trotting out the same tired arguments about her and GG for the eleventy-billionth time is accomplishing nothing.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be discussed, of course. I feel very strongly about this issue, and it pains me to yet again see the depths to people will sink. I just wish it could be discussed in a civilized manner. (I'm mostly talking about other websites. The mods here are usually very, very quick about weeding out the worst of things, which makes me able to follow the discussion here without wanting to become a hermit)

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@shagge said:

@bradbrains said:

@shagge said:

Well, it was a nice break from the nonsense while it lasted, but here comes the shit-tsunami once more.

I never understood why trolls try so hard to get people angry, when all you have to do to set the internet ablaze is to say "Anita Sarkeesian did a thing!". Even mentioning politics doesn't get the rage brewing as quickly.

the thing was there was no break for the women involved. they are still bieng attacked daily.

I'm aware. I'm talking about the inevitable aftermath of somebody mentioning Anita. Trotting out the same tired arguments about her and GG for the eleventy-billionth time is accomplishing nothing.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be discussed, of course. I feel very strongly about this issue, and it pains me to yet again see the depths to people will sink. I just wish it could be discussed in a civilized manner. (I'm mostly talking about other websites. The mods here are usually very, very quick about weeding out the worst of things, which makes me able to follow the discussion here without wanting to become a hermit)

yea I certainly see what you mean. My point was just that there was no lull. people haven't stopped complaining about Anita; calling her con a artist despite her not conning anyone.

unless they think her talking about women's right is a con. then I don't know.

it just makes me sad that the evidence about what gamergate is keeps mounting and people continue to be stubborn.or are still using the hashtag because of its popularity

its hard to have a discussion when one side doesn't know what they want.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By TruthTellah
@n7 said:

It's funny when you think you know what something is about, but turn out to not really know anything at all. I thought I knew what GamerGate was, and then I see this thread and I have no fudging clue at all.

Obviously, it's about ethics in games journalism.

heh. I'm just joshing. I think one of my comments from the last page covered the general jist of the bigger conflict:

@pufferfiz said:

@whitegreyblack said:

@pufferfiz: I getcha. There certainly is a lot of single-sided talk from both sides of this issue; unfortunately, that seems to be the case because a) the terrible events that have transpired, and b) bringing the two "sides" together for a rational discussion seems so far from the realm of possibility at this point.

It's really too bad. I want the discussion to be had. I personally think that the point far down the road of a more quote-unquote inclusive video game industry will actually lead to more games people will like, on both ends of the spectrum (and surprise! some unknown as-of-yet game ideas will have universal appeal for everyone). A bigger, healthier, more diverse video game industry would be pretty amazing and it would likely equate to more games about more things that more people get to enjoy.

it was so frustrating when gone home came out and people were like every games needs to be like this or no every game should be more like cod (ie mindless). Granted gone home is not my type of game but I want both to exist , diversity and competition makes games as a whole better.

To be honest, I've never met anyone who thought all games should be like Gone Home. heh. I mean, I've talked to a lot of folks since it came out, and the closest to that kind of sentiment is someone saying they prefer that kind of game over stuff like COD and would like to see a lot more of it. Though, I -have- seen a lot of people suggest that games like Gone Home shouldn't exist and most games should just be mindless entertainment, and that's unfortunate.

As you said, there's room in gaming for a wide variety of games, and with the ever-growing diversity of people making and writing about games, that's bound to be a bigger factor in the years ahead. I'm gonna run into more games I probably quite dislike, and I'll probably still run into many that I do. With greater diversity naturally comes greater potential for conflicting opinions and feelings, but that's actually a good thing. The answer isn't in us avoiding one another or our differences but finding ways to better accept folks expressing themselves on the things we like and dislike in games.

With greater diversity and resulting potential for conflict, it also means more chance of ignorance and discrimination popping up to spoil things, but that's just something we'll have to manage as best we can. For years, a lot of viewpoints couldn't be heard in gaming, and the discrimination toward those views was more of the accepted status quo than a vocal effort. Now that the status quo has been changing as gaming has grown and opened up, those clinging to such ignorance and discrimination have had to become a bit more vocal to continue to assert their influence. Eventually, though, even that will fade to some extent as most reasonable individuals realize there are bigger things to care about. It's just gonna take some time.

I fully expect the next few years to see some more blow ups like this recent mess, but their frequency and impact will fade. People looking for conversation amid disagreement will endure, and seemingly difficult topics now will become easier. There may be reason to be embarrassed and concerned by many issues today, but the future is hopeful. I've already seen a lot of progress over the last decade, and I look forward to what's to come. :)

The simplest way to think about it is like a storm conjured up out of a discordant array of angry fans of gaming, and in the end, the only truly unifying element is anger at -something-. A cloud of unease, fear, and suspicion desperately desiring to be acknowledged. To make known that it exists and still has some control. Amidst it all, there has never been a unified banner or accepted leading voices, though, as any time anyone has spoken or acted too specifically, folks have shunned them as not really representing the wider effort.

Which has resulted in no one being able to talk about much but the resulting damage from the storm. Analyzing the pieces strewn about online and bickering about their meaning. With no one to truly talk to or reason with in the storm, the only practical things you reflect on are the many people hurt(particularly women) and the conversations left muddled and contentious. In many ways, this is just another example in a long line of little blow ups, and we're going to see more as gaming and the community around it continues to grow.

It's a mess, and you're understandably befuddled by the seemingly random wreckage in its wake. But don't feel bad. It's the normal response to all of this.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By N7

@n7 said:

heh. I'm just joshing. I think one of my comments from the last page covered the general jist of the bigger conflict:

@pufferfiz said:

@whitegreyblack said:

@pufferfiz: I getcha. There certainly is a lot of single-sided talk from both sides of this issue; unfortunately, that seems to be the case because a) the terrible events that have transpired, and b) bringing the two "sides" together for a rational discussion seems so far from the realm of possibility at this point.

It's really too bad. I want the discussion to be had. I personally think that the point far down the road of a more quote-unquote inclusive video game industry will actually lead to more games people will like, on both ends of the spectrum (and surprise! some unknown as-of-yet game ideas will have universal appeal for everyone). A bigger, healthier, more diverse video game industry would be pretty amazing and it would likely equate to more games about more things that more people get to enjoy.

it was so frustrating when gone home came out and people were like every games needs to be like this or no every game should be more like cod (ie mindless). Granted gone home is not my type of game but I want both to exist , diversity and competition makes games as a whole better.

To be honest, I've never met anyone who thought all games should be like Gone Home. heh. I mean, I've talked to a lot of folks since it came out, and the closest to that kind of sentiment is someone saying they prefer that kind of game over stuff like COD and would like to see a lot more of it. Though, I -have- seen a lot of people suggest that games like Gone Home shouldn't exist and most games should just be mindless entertainment, and that's unfortunate.

As you said, there's room in gaming for a wide variety of games, and with the ever-growing diversity of people making and writing about games, that's bound to be a bigger factor in the years ahead. I'm gonna run into more games I probably quite dislike, and I'll probably still run into many that I do. With greater diversity naturally comes greater potential for conflicting opinions and feelings, but that's actually a good thing. The answer isn't in us avoiding one another or our differences but finding ways to better accept folks expressing themselves on the things we like and dislike in games.

With greater diversity and resulting potential for conflict, it also means more chance of ignorance and discrimination popping up to spoil things, but that's just something we'll have to manage as best we can. For years, a lot of viewpoints couldn't be heard in gaming, and the discrimination toward those views was more of the accepted status quo than a vocal effort. Now that the status quo has been changing as gaming has grown and opened up, those clinging to such ignorance and discrimination have had to become a bit more vocal to continue to assert their influence. Eventually, though, even that will fade to some extent as most reasonable individuals realize there are bigger things to care about. It's just gonna take some time.

I fully expect the next few years to see some more blow ups like this recent mess, but their frequency and impact will fade. People looking for conversation amid disagreement will endure, and seemingly difficult topics now will become easier. There may be reason to be embarrassed and concerned by many issues today, but the future is hopeful. I've already seen a lot of progress over the last decade, and I look forward to what's to come. :)

The simplest way to think about it is like a storm conjured up out of a discordant array of angry fans of gaming, and in the end, the only truly unifying element is anger at -something-. There has never been a unified banner or accepted leading voices, as any time anyone has spoken too specifically, folks have shunned them as not really speaking for the wider effort.

Which has resulted in no one being able to talk about much but the resulting damage from the storm. Analyzing the pieces strewn about online and bickering about their meaning. With no one to truly talk to or reason with in the storm, the only practical things you reflect on are the many people hurt(particularly women) and the conversations left muddled and contentious. In many ways, this is just another example in a long line of little blow ups, and we're going to see more as gaming and the community around it continues to grow.

It's a mess, and you're understandably befuddled by the seemingly random wreckage in its wake. But don't feel bad. It's the normal response to all of this.

So basically it's like that scene in The Avengers where, unbeknownst to the Avengers, Loki was using his scepter to influence everyone into getting angry at each other to the point of violence but no one truly knew why or how they were being made to feel this way? Because that's fucked up.

The only question now is... who's the puppet master?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#157  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@n7 said:

@truthtellah said:
@n7 said:

@pufferfiz said:

@whitegreyblack said:

The simplest way to think about it is like a storm conjured up out of a discordant array of angry fans of gaming, and in the end, the only truly unifying element is anger at -something-. There has never been a unified banner or accepted leading voices, as any time anyone has spoken too specifically, folks have shunned them as not really speaking for the wider effort.

So basically it's like that scene in The Avengers where, unbeknownst to the Avengers, Loki was using his scepter to influence everyone into getting angry at each other to the point of violence but no one truly knew why or how they were being made to feel this way? Because that's fucked up.

No Caption Provided

No one is safe.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 thatpinguino  Moderator

@thatpinguino: The problem is there hasn't been a discussion. Anything Anita says is always going to be associated with this terrible negative response which drowns out valid points for or against hers. It's important to validate what she says, the truth & the falsities.

This isn't a new topic of debate either & it seems whatever this part of it isn't achieving anything but a shameful view on gaming because of a tiny minority of extremely vocal people.

If you don't think her videos are inspiring discussion within the game industry then you are mistaken, here is Cliffy B talking about her videos and the reaction to them. I've been told that the Last of Us postmordem at the last GDC also talked about how an increased awareness of the portrayal of women in games helped shaped Elie's character and the story in general (I haven't watched it myself because I am still finishing The Last of Us and there are spoilers in the video). Heck Anita won an Ambassador Award from GDC. Her videos are creating a discussion within the development community and they are creating a discussion here. If you try to read beyond the few people screaming about her very existence you can usually find well reasoned criticism of her videos. I think the Hitman example from one of her videos gets trotted out as a fair criticism every time her videos are brought up. If you want to read someone intelligently critiquing Anita's videos look no furrther than @jadegl's posts on Anita's work; they are well worth reading. Anita's videos aren't creating a shameful depiction of games for the sake of being combative, they are pulling together a wide swath of potentially problematic tropes that already exist, explaining why those tropes are unfair to women, and asking that people think before they employ those tropes again.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

@milkman:

The 'real gamer' thing is so dumb. I like that it comes with the assumption that this 'real gamer's' perspective and value judgement matters at all to the apparent 'non-gamer'.

Projection is a hell of a thing.

I Think the term is the core of the issue. It's always been a thing to have people identify so deeply with games that they feel personally attacked.

One particularly interesting thing that got my attention from his take on it ( Colbert's ). "Sega Genesis". I remember reading about that era of video games from a marketing advertisement perspective. That time was when the main angle became about deeply self identifying with the medium and in that case one brand or the other.

No other media asked for the same since it was of a different nature. 20th Century Fox did not create a childish smearing campaign against Universal since their platform was always the same.

It's interesting seeing this whole debacle while analyzing the nature of it from a different perspective. Of course people would find no inherent correlation with bad things by the simple act of playing a video game. The problematic issue has always been it's specific nature as a product. ( which is probably not bound to change...Rational people still say stuff like PC master race like it's not a thing. To someone looking from the outside, that sounds not only kinda offensive, but also demonstrative of the same kind of obsessive allegiance from the nintendont era. Not to mention console wars, that should go without saying)

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By N7
deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#161  Edited By deathbyyeti

@baillie: they should distance themselves from the only movement that managed to uncover weird connections, actual evidence, a popular Twitter hashtag, and the most change "gaming press" has committed so far because terrible people on the internet made threats that didnt mention it? All the "game bloggers" dismiss all this and mock ethics when they will not even be open to discussion and if you do move away from Gamergate you would just be chastised for coming from that movement and ignored even more. I guess it must just be the misogyny in my blood and the social construct of testosterone to be annoyed that consumer questions are being shut down and dismissed as hate

Wilshere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No surprise. Its another shot at painting #GamerGate as a harassment movement rather than admit the faults of the press and take actions to improve it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef7f55d8c4ec
deactivated-5ef7f55d8c4ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Colbert was great as usual. It's the first time I've had the hint of a smile on my face while this issue has been discussed. I’m torn on Sarkeesian, she brings up some relevant points of discussion and valid criticisms but I think she relies too heavily on presenting things out of their proper context. The binarity of her criticisms can also stifle discussion as anyone who dares challenges her views risks being labelled a sexist.

Total Biscuit put out an interview today with Stephen Totilo discussing ethics in games media which was a really great listen and a good first step in hopefully resolving this issue at least as it’s viewed by the moderates in this debate.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By mrfluke

i dont like her, nothing against the "movement", but i just dont like her.

but even still, i found that segment totally harmless and fine and fun.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I'll have to watch it later. :D

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By TruthTellah
@n7 said:

@truthtellah said:
@n7 said:

@pufferfiz said:

@whitegreyblack said:

Sort of, but it's more like a bunch of people were riled up by festering discordant anger and suspicion to attack a number of women and rail against just about anyone you can be mad at in gaming. There has never been two sides to all this or even much of a side at all. A storm is a storm, and a lot of regular people trying to defend themselves and others from it and then repair the wreckage after it has moved through an area isn't a "side". I'm "anti-GG" in the same way I'm "anti-mudslides". It has been more of an odd, chaotic cyclone than a tangible group or side to truly align with; yet, people have still tied their names to what they personally picture it to be.

Saying you're pro-GG is effectively like saying you're "angry about something". It has ended up being relatively meaningless outside of some prevailing themes, none of which everyone agrees on. I could say it was about feminism and the threat of liberalism based on all the people that have told me that's what it's actually about, or I could say it was about fighting a battle to purify gaming as a place focused on "real gamers" based on those who have insisted time and time again that's the obvious real point of it all.

The only puppet master has seemingly been a kind of general discomfort and suspicion. Unresolved conflict within a quickly-growing entertainment medium and the Internet that has grown along with it. People themselves setting in motion an almost stand alone complex-esque effort, believing in a unified vision that isn't ever there. Most convinced that they understand the true origin and purpose of the unrest.

You can't reason with a storm. You can batten down the hatches and try to weather it, and you prepare for the next one, taking measures to reduce the damage more and more over time. Fortunately, as I mentioned, I think it's a storm that will ease over time. We've been slowly trading a harmful status quo with blow ups like this, and eventually, even these will fade. Disagreement will prevail over bluster and fighting. There are no quick fixes, but continuing as we are in gaming and growing discussion of our conflicts will help. Too much is often left festering, and we can do better.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By spraynardtatum

I would just like to point out that if you're against ridicule and harassment (which I hope to assume that everyone here is) than the first response you have to people that support gamergate shouldn't be more ridicule and harassment. Put some more thought behind what you say and act how you expect the people from this controversial movement to act.

There's some blanket harassment going on in this thread but it is being overlooked because it's for what people find to be a good reason. Of course it isn't as horrifying and violent as what Zoey Quinn or Anita Sarkeesian have faced but there are no free passes. Don't be dicks.

Let's start the real conversations and not continue the name calling and reinforcements of stereotypes.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By mellotronrules

well- that was about what i expected. nothing revalatory, but anita did pretty well- i'm glad her experience and work is being exposed to a larger audience.

but colbert was absolutely spot on with his remarks on the ethics of video games journalism, and the seeming contradiction in terms- this whole debacle has done nothing but exposed the ghastly regressive cultural undercurrents (organised abuse) still thriving on the internet. any hope of any message has been lost- and if anything, the whole experience underscores our collective need to take a hard look at how we treat and represent one another.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

granted these things have been blowing up a lot lately, but the more I see of how things are playing out I remain convinced that the right people are winning.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Baillie

@deathbyyeti said:

@baillie: they should distance themselves from the only movement that managed to uncover weird connections, actual evidence, a popular Twitter hashtag, and the most change "gaming press" has committed so far because terrible people on the internet made threats that didnt mention it? All the "game bloggers" dismiss all this and mock ethics when they will not even be open to discussion and if you do move away from Gamergate you would just be chastised for coming from that movement and ignored even more. I guess it must just be the misogyny in my blood and the social construct of testosterone to be annoyed that consumer questions are being shut down and dismissed as hate

Or you can actually realise GamerGate as a whole will never get past the misogyny and bullshit no matter what happens.

Wilshere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Wilshere

@baillie said:

@deathbyyeti said:

Or you can actually realise GamerGate as a whole will never get past the misogyny and bullshit no matter what happens.

Its the anti-GG side that is unwilling to talk. Covering your ears and shouting labels prevents GG from achieving its goal promoted over two months.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By stryker1121

The 'gamers are getting bulled' narrative Colbert touched on is so transparent it makes GG even more repellent. It's a cynical appropriation of a hot and heavily weighted buzzword. Anyone with critical thinking skills will see through the ploy in two seconds.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wilshere said:

@baillie said:

@deathbyyeti said:

Its the anti-GG side that is unwilling to talk. Covering your ears and shouting labels prevents GG from achieving its goal promoted over two months.

The only thing GG has promoted is how vile the gaming community can be towards women in gaming. Oh there's also that faint whisper I heard about gaming press having friends in the gaming industry. You know like Giant Bomb and Harmonix, Double Fine, SuperGiant Games, Samantha Kalman...

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus Christ, Gamergate is going mainstream? Fuck.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By spraynardtatum

@baillie: Which Giant bomb also discloses consistently upon any coverage they give of said companies and people.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baillie: It seems as though you echo the same sentiments as the press that was first saying "Listen and Believe" while never asking the other side about their view and threw it in their face after a couple of weeks when random people on Twitter that had never mentioned GamerGate before publicly harass women. I understand that reading post from one side but please, all GamerGate supports must hate women and harass them endlessly

Muzhik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathbyyeti: When I look at who is being targeted by GG people and who they give a free pass to or justify as not "corrupt" it's hard not to come to the conclusion that they hate women.

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teaoverlord: yes, that type of thing really bugs me. How many people won't click the link, and just assume what they are told? (But I guess that's on them as much as the original poster).

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By jadegl

@thatpinguino: I appreciate the shout out! I think that the best thing about the videos, even if you agree or disagree with the thesis, is that they are fostering discussion. I don't agree with anything and everything that is in the Tropes series, but I think that it's always good to take critical looks at the media that you choose to consume, whether it's books, movies, music, art or video games.

I tend to read a lot of articles covering all kinds of issues in games and in other forms of entertainment. I frequent /r/books and /r/literature just to see what is being talked about. I find interesting articles like this, which talks about the Nobel selection process for literature, the tagline being "The Nobel Prize’s wish to separate literature from politics isn’t just misguided. It’s impossible." Why am I mentioning this? Well, I see this type of discussion as being no different than what Anita does or what any number of people talking about politics, gender issues, race, sexuality etc does. This is part of being at the Adult table at Thanksgiving, instead of the Kiddy table, to use a common if not cliched bit of terminology. When games become more focused on as art, people start dissecting them as art. With that comes talk of sometimes difficult issues. But the discussion is, on the whole, worthwhile. Even if I disagree 100% with the commentator, the overall discussion is what matters, at least to me. I like getting into stuff like that. It's the English Major in me coming out.

As @thatpinguino stated, I have written somewhat extensively on the Tropes series and what I like and what I don't like in them. I think that's the best thing to do in these situations. I don't care whether I actually get any response from her personally, it's never been about that to me, it's about having that discussion with other people in places like this and coming to some sort of understanding as people who love games.

And I admit, I love some games that have stupid, sexist or quasi-sexist bologna in them. I have no problems with liking a game that may have problematic ideas or tropes, whether it concerns the treatment of women, minorities, sexuality, or something as pervasive as the handling of violent content. But I admit that to myself and I try to find out what I like, why I like it, and how I can articulate that while also being able to view possible flaws with an open mind. It's hard. When people rag on something like Mass Effect, Halo or Hotline Miami, that stings, whether it's due to violence, sex, even just general dislike, whatever. But, it's important to be empathic and try to view the contrary opinion, or at least give it a chance before outright condemnation.

I wish I could be successful with this all the time, but I admit I am human and therefore I know that I am not.

On the subject at hand, I have not yet had a chance to watch the video. I will later and hopefully it will be something fun and make me laugh. I think that it's really quite funny that the more some talk and complain about her getting more press focus, and the more she is threatened or harassed or tweeted about, the more mainstream press she actually gets and the more she gets her own message out there to people who don't even care about games or the people who play them.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Good for her, good for Colbert.

If people think they have a more nuanced and thoughtful perspective on the memes, ideas and portrayal of women in games - then go ahead and voice them.

It is ironic that the people who want to merely shut her up, not her critics, but just her detractors and abusers have given her a boost onto this worldwide platform. She was happy to talk about games and do her videos and have a open discussion on the small stage that would grow.

Real critics in this debate and this subject, the ones worthy of any attention, are the people who would sit down with her to discuss games and shake her hand afterward . They would be glad to be on a panel with her to discuss the intricacy of portrayals of character in games, because even they understand civil thoughtful discussion is when you shake hands warmly at the end and not shake fists.

I would like to see more people who would respect the subject enough to admit she has a right to have a voice no matter what. There is room for discussion or debate about interpretation of a specific games, meme or ideas; but just wanting her to stop talking or thinking is not being a critic of her work it is just a fancy way of disguising abuse.

Wilshere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baillie said:

@wilshere said:

@baillie said:

@deathbyyeti said:

The only thing GG has promoted is how vile the gaming community can be towards women in gaming. Oh there's also that faint whisper I heard about gaming press having friends in the gaming industry. You know like Giant Bomb and Harmonix, Double Fine, SuperGiant Games, Samantha Kalman...

If this is what you believe then you have been listening to only one side. Giant Bomb has done a professional job of disclosing their relationships in the industry. The problem is that pretty much every one else doesn't. There isn't independence in the media for criticism. There is a culture of fear of speaking out. Major gaming sites and now mainstream sites toe the party line. Looking and listening to only one side of the argument. Anitas videos are obviously full of flaws. Nobody talks about that and only promotes them. When the "gamers are dead" articles came out, nobody dared to oppose them in the media.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wilshere said:

@baillie said:

@wilshere said:

@baillie said:

@deathbyyeti said:

If this is what you believe then you have been listening to only one side. Giant Bomb has done a professional job of disclosing their relationships in the industry. The problem is that pretty much every one else doesn't. There isn't independence in the media for criticism. There is a culture of fear of speaking out. Major gaming sites and now mainstream sites toe the party line. Looking and listening to only one side of the argument. Anitas videos are obviously full of flaws. Nobody talks about that and only promotes them. When the "gamers are dead" articles came out, nobody dared to oppose them in the media.

https://pixietalksgamergate.wordpress.com/gamergates-misconceptions-thus-far/

• GamerGate DID NOT start after the “‘gamers’ are over” article wave. It began with Adam Baldwin’s tweet, which when looked at on central time is the 27th August – the articles are all the 28th. In addition, the articles came after harassment of Anita and Zoe (more here). Whilst people may have joined over those articles, they were NOT the cause.
  • The GameJournoPros list didn’t co-ordinate the ‘gamers are over’ articles on list since many of the authors are NOT on it. In addition, not all the journalists being claimed to be part of this collusion can be found on it either.
  • The ‘Gamers are Dead’ article wave isn’t as clear-cut as it seems – analysis here.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@milkman said:

@horseman6 said:

Please people, just ignore her and she'll go away; just like Michael Moore.

What if I don't want her to go away? What should I do then?

The most common sticking point among GamerGate types concerning the interview seems to be the "name three games" thing. It's even got a new hashtag, #NameThreeGames. I guess we're back to the "she's not a real gamer" narrative.

Don't ignore her if you don't want her to. I'm referring to this people that dislike her mostly ridiculous views on gaming and gaming culture. The more negative attention you bring to her, the more publicity she gets. The less you pay attention to her, the less attention she will get.

Muzhik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@horseman6: In what way are her views on gaming and gaming culture ridiculous? Give me three concrete examples.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@horseman6:

I hope you realize that this is a fallacy. I don't pay attention to Miley Cyrus but I'm pretty sure she is controversial and still gets plenty of attention no matter how much I ignore her.

Sylect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would just like to point out that if you're against ridicule and harassment (which I hope to assume that everyone here is) than the first response you have to people that support gamergate shouldn't be more ridicule and harassment. Put some more thought behind what you say and act how you expect the people from this controversial movement to act.

There's some blanket harassment going on in this thread but it is being overlooked because it's for what people find to be a good reason. Of course it isn't as horrifying and violent as what Zoey Quinn or Anita Sarkeesian have faced but there are no free passes. Don't be dicks.

Let's start the real conversations and not continue the name calling and reinforcements of stereotypes.

This

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After some of her early videos contained incorrect facts and even some misinformation i chose to ignore her, say whatever you want Anita apparently people are listening.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Superkenon

I tend to not agree with Sarkeesian's approach, since as a general rule I don't like arguments that spend more time on negativity than building up their own foundation. It's very clear what she hates, but it's less clear what she likes, or what she even wants the answer to the problem to be, and those unclarities do her a great disservice. Also, she has a habit of casting too wide of a net, and her examples start becoming less about feminism and female empowerment, and more about a kind of old-fashioned prudishness. But broadly, I support what she's after: more diversity in gaming.

There's enough room in our gaming world here for every kind of experience, and for there to be something for everyone. It's not a message she gets across well in the slightest, but neither she nor anyone else in this movement want to actually take away anyone's games. She wants more types of games for more types of people, and there's absolutely zero reason to be upset or threatened by that notion.

Anyway, I think she did fine on Colbert. There's not a lot of time to explain or really get into the nuances of the issue in a format like that, but she got her points across well enough without getting too heavy-handed. I certainly wouldn't have been able to do better.

omghisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#190  Edited By omghisam
@sylect said:

And Stephen Totilo of Kotaku had a 100 minute discussion with TB about ethics in journalism, so is it possible that the anti-GG cabal stop calling all Muslims terrorists and actually start acknowledging the legitimacy of GG and not selectively looking at the trolls?

of course not

Should I go to 8chan or /r/kotakuinaction or ralphretort to find these perfectly reasonable people asking for ethics? All I find in these places are extremely toxic communities preoccupied by their phantom LWs.

Novis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce: I don't actually mean she's evil or anything. I just mean that the reaction to Anita was so strong that it kinda fed her message more and more. So all the haters kinda have themselves to blame to an extent.

NmareBfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By NmareBfly

@sylect said:

And Stephen Totilo of Kotaku had a 100 minute discussion with TB about ethics in journalism, so is it possible that the anti-GG crowd stop calling all Muslims terrorists and actually start acknowledging the legitimacy of GG and not selectively looking at the trolls?

of course not

Saying stuff like this doesn't help anyone. Great that there was a long discussion! What points were brought up that you feel are worth further exploration? You're still talking about the meta-debate about what GG is. If you're going to talk about ethics in journalism, talk about ethics in journalism. Stop being defensive about what label you do it under.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@novis said:

@zolroyce: I don't actually mean she's evil or anything. I just mean that the reaction to Anita was so strong that it kinda fed her message more and more. So all the haters kinda have themselves to blame to an extent.

i would agree with this. some people get way to hostile over a diference of opinion. The perception that a lot of this conversation is a personal attack is how a lot of this got so bad in the first place

Novis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bradbrains: People need to learn to take a step back and look at things as they are. This is an entertainment medium. A lot of people rely on it as a form of income and death threats are not the way to go. Feeding hate with more hate is foolish.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well. This thread is a clusterfuck. I like videogames guys what about y'all?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@sylect said:

And Stephen Totilo of Kotaku had a 100 minute discussion with TB about ethics in journalism, so is it possible that the anti-GG crowd stop calling all Muslims terrorists and actually start acknowledging the legitimacy of GG and not selectively looking at the trolls?

of course not

Saying stuff like this doesn't help anyone. Great that there was a long discussion! What points were brought up that you feel are worth further exploration? You're still talking about the meta-debate about what GG is. If you're going to talk about ethics in journalism, talk about ethics in journalism. Stop being defensive about what label you do it under.

For the record, I listened to TB and Totilo's discussion yesterday and it was pretty good. It was a nice, reasonable discussion about some ethical concerns in games writing, which, despite me thinking GamerGate is idiotic, hateful garbage, I do think exist. To me, the discussion was even more proof that GamerGate needs to end. We can have discussions about ethics in games without hiding it behind a ridiculous harassment campaign.

Loading Video...

Midjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slyspider

http://shitgiantbombsays.tumblr.com/post/78336031347/oh-no-fuck-video-games-forever

And I think there may be a few quotes of Jeff saying 'MAN FUCK VIDEO GAMES' on podcasts and livestreams that are worth quoting. Always funny to hear.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First everyone gives her shit for "cherry picking" examples.

Then during the interview she doesn't give specific examples and now jokers are like "She can't even name 3 games!"

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: well said. its a garbage hashtag that was made from garbage. but there are things about gaming and how it works that can be talked about

how much control metacritic has

embargos and how they work

how big companies can use there powers against the smaller reviewers who cant just go out and buy every title to review.