#1 Posted by BiG_Weasel (525 posts) -

Outside of video gaming, I have a regular group that I meet with to play pen-and-paper RPGs and board games. Just curious as to how many of you play games such as Talisman, Settlers of Catan, Elder Sign, etc as supplemental gaming. Also, if you have any game suggestions, share 'em here.

#2 Edited by Salarn (469 posts) -

I pretty much play all games.

Some quick recommendations:

Coop Games (in order of complexity)

Forbidden Island -> Pandemic -> Space Alert -> D&D Legends

Vs. Games (in order of complexity)

Gloom -> Quarriors! -> Shadow Hunters -> Cosmic Encounter

Party games (in order of complexity)

Are you the traitor -> Fluxx -> Carcassonne -> Galaxy Trucker

And tons tons more, but really depends on what you're looking to play.

Have you seen the YouTube videos that Will Wheaton just started "Table Top" or the reviews by Tom Vassle from "The Dice Tower"?

#3 Posted by FinalDasa (2198 posts) -

A handful of friends and I will get together to play some traditional games. Usually it's the typical board games you know (Scrabble, Life, Monopoly) but we've done some pen and paper gaming and I'm hoping to get my Civilization board game here for an intense day (or weekend!) of board gaming.

Never tried Settlers but I really want to. Just hard to get some people curious enough to want to learn a new game sometimes. Especially when they think it's "complicated".

#4 Posted by Yanngc33 (4461 posts) -

I'm a professional monopoly player

#5 Posted by Scroll (607 posts) -

Played a lot Battlestar Galactica the board game in recent years, also Memoir '44 and a bit of Chaos in the old world.

#6 Posted by ToxicFruit (1731 posts) -

I play risk a lot, that's kinda it

#7 Posted by Phatmac (5731 posts) -

Yeah I'm a pretty bored gamer.

#8 Posted by BonOrbitz (2315 posts) -

@BiG_Weasel said:

Outside of video gaming, I have a regular group that I meet with to play pen-and-paper RPGs and board games. Just curious as to how many of you play games such as Talisman, Settlers of Catan, Elder Sign, etc as supplemental gaming. Also, if you have any game suggestions, share 'em here.

I was just looking at Elder Sign at my local Barnes & Noble over lunch today. How is it? I LOVE Arkham Horror so I'm curious about that and Mansion of Madness.

#9 Edited by Salarn (469 posts) -

@bonorbitz said:

I was just looking at Elder Sign at my local Barnes & Noble over lunch today. How is it? I LOVE Arkham Horror so I'm curious about that and Mansion of Madness.

Mansion of Madness is okay but has a long setup time, and requires one player to be the antagonist. I've enjoyed "Betrayal at the house on the hill" to be a bit more enjoyable because it starts as a co-op game until the sudden but inevitable betrayal that makes a random(ish) player the traitor and triggers the end game which lasts about 10~20 minutes out of a 60~90 minute game.

#10 Edited by BiG_Weasel (525 posts) -

@bonorbitz: Its pretty good, but I haven't played it but once. Definitely worth the price of admission. Also, I'm a big fan of Talisman. Pretty much anything Fantasy Flight prints is good stuff. I'm running one of their RPGs right now, Deathwatch, and we like the system.

#11 Edited by BonOrbitz (2315 posts) -

@BiG_Weasel: @Salarn said:

@bonorbitz said:

Mansion of Madness is okay but has a long setup time, and requires one player to be the antagonist. I've enjoyed "Betrayal at the house on the hill" to be a bit more enjoyable because it starts as a co-op game until the sudden but inevitable betrayal that makes a random(ish) player the traitor and triggers the end game which lasts about 10~20 minutes out of a 60~90 minute game.

Arkham Horror as acclimated me to long set up times. :)

Last time I looked up Betrayal at the House on the Hill it was out of print and being sold for a ridiculous amount by resellers. That was disappointing... I think I'll be checking out Elder Sign first and doing some research on Talisman. I saw that on the shelf at the bookstore but didn't take a closer look.

#12 Posted by BiG_Weasel (525 posts) -
#13 Posted by BiG_Weasel (525 posts) -

Oh, and for your dice guys, check out Zombie Dice. We play the hell outta that, and its compact enough to take camping or what have you.

#14 Posted by Salarn (469 posts) -

Betrayal had a reprint recently. My experience was only with the original version, haven't broken the shrink wrap on the copy of the reprint I bought. coolstufinc.com has it for $34

Risk Legacy is a very interesting product, but it pretty much demands you have a group that wants to play ~15 games of risk to get the full value out of the game. However, if you have a group like that, it's really neat to have a "world" that is changed permanently by previous plays. Do not buy if the idea of tearing up cards and writing with permanent ink on a game gives you the jibblies.

#15 Posted by BiG_Weasel (525 posts) -

@Salarn: Card sleeves, my friend. Handy thing, and I have some left over from when I bought them for Warmachine.

#16 Posted by Salarn (469 posts) -

@BiG_Weasel said:

@Salarn: Card sleeves, my friend. Handy thing, and I have some left over from when I bought them for Warmachine.

Card sleeves for risk legacy? I don't think you quite understand what changes you make to the game while you play.

#17 Posted by MrRedwine (430 posts) -

I enjoy Dominion and Race for the Galaxy.

@Salarn: I think those Table Top videos are really fun and The Dice Tower introduced me to the two games mentioned above.

#18 Posted by TheBojangler (10 posts) -

I just started getting a group of people together fairly regularly to play some board games. We play a lot of Battlestar Galactica. We also just started on Risk Legacy, only 2 games in so we haven't been able to open any of the sealed envelopes. Other games we play; Shadows Over Camelot, Game of Thrones the board game, Space Alert, Merchants and Marauders. And I've got a couple of games that we've yet to try out, but I hope to soon. Dominant Species and Rex: Final Days of an Empire.

#19 Posted by BiG_Weasel (525 posts) -

@Salarn: You assumed correctly. Holy smokes, that's complex.

#20 Posted by Lemonhead (69 posts) -

Twilight Imperium!

#21 Posted by FinalDasa (2198 posts) -

@BiG_Weasel: That...looks...sooo...awesome! Might need to buy that Risk version.

#22 Posted by Ketchupp (669 posts) -

I play Scrabble and Monopoly with my girlfriend.

#23 Edited by Salarn (469 posts) -

Like with "video" games, there is pretty much a "board" game out there for every group or situation. Check out boardgamegeek.com and start digging, it's got great links for reviews, suggestions based on games you have or search based on mechanics, player count, or time.

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Salarn is most of my collection (excluding expansions)

#24 Posted by Gilsham (293 posts) -

hells yeah, when ever I go back to my perants for a birthday/hoilday we'll play something, carcassonne, sorcerer's cave, apples to apples (I want to get cards against humanity to play with mates). I also play board games with mates regularly, munchkin (we have amongst us about 6 sets), munchkin board game, Magic the Gathering (still go to pre-releases).

I would be pretty interested in playing a game of risk legacy reminds me of the ironman MTG format where you rip up any card sent to the graveyard and the winner takes the losers cards and uses them in his deck

#25 Posted by ChaosDent (234 posts) -

I got into RPGs with  D&D when I was in middle school, and hobby board games with Civilization and Advanced Civilization when I was in high school. Civilization was kind of a trial by fire for us as high-schoolers, we tended to lose interest by hour 6-7 even though we played it dozens of times. Early favorites of mine included the first editions of Twilight Imperium and Settlers of Catan. I would still recommend the latest versions both of those games for advanced and beginner player players respectively. 

I have a couple dozen games these days, a large number of Fantasy Flight games and a handful each from a number of other publishers. I'd recommend a lot of games, but for now I'd like to call attention to the European card games Race for the Galxy, Dominion and 7 Wonders. These are all great games with unique mechanics and a surprising amount of depth that I have introduced to a number of non-gaming friends and family members. If you'd like to get into board gaming or would like to play games with a larger portion of your social circle these, in addition to Settlers of Catan, are what I'd recommend starting with.

#26 Posted by Burger_Time (12 posts) -

Risk Legacy is pretty great. Some friends and I are working on a board currently, and everybody except me has their name on the board. It's become our go-to "short game" when we don't feel like playing Dominion.

Twilight Imperium used to be our game of choice, back when we had more time. Still try to get a game in every couple months, when everybody has a clear spot in their schedules. There's probably no better way to spend 8 hours. We have both expansions and play with almost all the optional rules.

Recently we've been playing the D&D games (Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon, mostly). I picked up Conquest of Nerath at PAX East, but we've only been able to get one game in so far. Seemed pretty good, have to play it more.

#27 Posted by mikeeegeee (1578 posts) -

Settlers. Blokus. Monopoly.

#28 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8610 posts) -

I play a mean game of Pokemon Monopoly, but that's about it.

I will one day get into tabletop rpg's though, someday.

#29 Posted by upwarDBound (654 posts) -

I play occasionally. Risk is a great simple classic, and Monopoly can be good fun. Catan and Dominion are fun relatively short games with depth but are easy to learn. Arkham Horror is interesting but incredibly frustrating.

I don't have a board game group though so I don't really play all that often.