Any (ex) videogame testers out there?

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By matpaget

So my friend said he could get me a job as a video game tester and I said I'd be interested in trying it out.
He told me a lot of awful things about it though, like how his friends are ruined from video games and what not.
Anyways are any of you video game testers? Or used to be one?

I'd like to hear some opinions and stories from some real video game testers.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By wefwefasdf

I remember watching an episode of Penny Arcade where one of the guys explained his history of being a videogame tester. It sounded awful...

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By meteora

I'm not a video game tester or anything, but from what I've heard, being a video game tester is not fun at all. You get paid a shitty wage and you have to play from bad to buggy and unfinished games, meaning you'll probably be playing the game before it hits beta stage where things are more stable and less buggy. You'll probably also have to write down what bugs there are and need to report it in. 

Its also not an ideal spot to jump from to going into actually designing games.

BackpackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By BackpackKat

From what I have heard you play the same stage over and over for hours and write down bugs that are usually ignored by the developer. But if you need a job it's better than cleaning sewers I guess.

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By one_2nd

watch Grandma's Boy. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By JJOR64
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" I remember watching an episode of Penny Arcade where one of the guys explained his history of being a videogame tester. It sounded awful... "
HERE is said episode.
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By NTM
@MatPaget said:

"So my friend said he could get me a job as a video game tester and I said I'd be interested in trying it out. He told me a lot of awful things about it though, like how his friends are ruined from video games and what not. Anyways are any of you video game testers? Or used to be one?  I'd like to hear some opinions and stories from some real video game testers. "

What kind of tester? Are you going to get paid for it? Or is it like Nintendo where you get free stuff after you test it out? If you're going to be paid for it, it's not a good idea. Personally I haven't tested games, but in the past I've wanted to so I've done research. I don't know where you live, but, if you're talking about testing for either Microsoft, or Nintendo here in WA. Probably not a good idea either way. Unless you don't mind sitting there pressing a button for hours a day and not playing a single game. I hear it's more about testing the hardware at Microsoft than it is even playing any games. Plus, on the day you have to go in and test games (after the job interview), you're not even guaranteed to get in to do the testing because they have a set limit of people that can get in, and you'll be lucky to do so. You'll also be playing games that may or may not actually hit store shelves as well... As for Nintendo. That's not a bad idea, unless you wanted to get paid. 

If you care to read this. It's long. Testing Video Games Can't Possibly Be Harder Than an Afternoon ...    
thebooya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By thebooya

I started out as a video game tester in 1996, and it's like any other job. Yes, you get to work on a video game and play the crap out of it, but you have to do horribly monotonous stuff. 

In order to work your way up though, I think it's the best entry position into the industry. You get to interact with the dev team (if you are any good), they start to trust you, and then transitioning your way into production is a natural progression. 

Much like on a construction job, you have to dig ditches before you become the foreman. QA testing is a great way through the front door - once you are in there, the rest is up to you.

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Aetos

I heard its not that great of a job. Thats why everyone was making fun of the idea of The Tester.    

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Binman88

Everyone seems to think it's a terrible job, but I wonder if they're just treating it so harshly relevant to what they expected it to be. Of course it's not about getting paid to play video games and having a load of fun, but what entry level job is a load of fun? I imagine it's like any job - it's what you make out of the time you spend there, and how hard you try to get your foot in the door. Why not try it out for a few months and see how it goes? If you're getting nowhere, no ones stopping you from leaving.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By swamplord666

used to do localisation QA testing. was very boring and tedious. I ended up testing (you guys are free to laugh with me) pony friends 2 for a month 9.30 to 6.00, most of which was testing the pc installer. On top of that the company very much treated us testers as dirt only to be prodded with by a long stick. but hey, beats a customer service job and gave me experience to get into the games industry when i finish my degree

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#13  Edited By natetodamax

Testing seems like a terrible job. I remember watching a video for Oblivion and the lead tester (or lead Q&A guy, whatever that means) basically said that he had to play through several parts of the game and test things like: 

• Being able to quit to the main menu while doing this or that
  • Being able to save the game and load it while doing this and that
  • Reporting freezes and bugs

And several other tedious things.
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By AndrewB
@Tactical_Kill:  Except the guy that won Tester was smart in the fact that he only wanted to win it for the prestige (getting his name out there) and as a way into the industry (also helped by the fact that he got his name out there).
swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By swamplord666
@natetodamax: Oh god, I remember feeling so bad for the guys who were QA testing Fallout DLC. open world games are terrible to test