• 50 results
#1 Edited by saoakden (129 posts) -

Are there any games where the main protagonist is on their own or just being a lone wolf? Lately, I've been feeling like a loner or an outcast because my friends haven't been there for me when I need them and the of the things I like have a trust your friends or your friends will be there for you when you need them kind of feeling or theme. I'm looking for any games where the main hero is on their own or relying on themselves or just being a loner. If anyone can give me recommendations I would appreciate it.

#2 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5739 posts) -

Squall is supposed to be a lone wolf in Final Fantasy VIII but it doesn't really work out that way.

#3 Edited by BeachThunder (12096 posts) -

Well, there's this list. I'm sure most games aren't exactly what you want, but you'll probably find something.

#4 Edited by Flappy (2302 posts) -

[Insert JRPG of your choice here]

Seriously, it's a common trait in a lot of anime/Japanese games, so I can't imagine that you'd have a hard time finding a game. I hope you and your friends patch things up soon, homie.

#5 Edited by Party (109 posts) -

The World Ends With You's main character begins as a loner.

#6 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5739 posts) -

@beachthunder: Oh, yeah any Arkham Batman game works probably the best. Though it should be noted most open world games have lone wolf bland protagonists.

#7 Posted by ajamafalous (12040 posts) -

The Game of Life

#8 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (1171 posts) -

Lots of JRPG's have that character that is a loner.

Fuuka in Persona 3 is kinda lonely, for example.

#9 Posted by crithon (3338 posts) -

I don't know, I've been feeling low, trying to find work and all, but then my cat got struck with a sickness, paid too much money to a vet. But he's always there's looking for me. I guess what I'm saying, it's surprising how much just even a little guy looks up to you helps lift one out of feeling alone.

#10 Edited by Nasar7 (2731 posts) -

@flappy said:

[Insert JRPG of your choice here]

Yep. Also, insert Bethesda RPG of your choice.

#11 Edited by MentalDisruption (1645 posts) -

The World Ends With You has a main character who starts out being a loner. Might fill what you're looking for provided that you don't care that he's forced to work with others in the story. He's not really on his own, but thats because he can't be. Also a really fun game. You know what... just play The World Ends With You.

#12 Posted by isomeri (1319 posts) -

I've always thought that games with lone protagonists end up being more atmospheric because the story has to progress through the environment in stead of long threads of dialogue. Max Payne, Halo, Half-Life 2 and Alan Wake come to mind.

#13 Posted by m3ds334 (39 posts) -

Arguably The Last of Us deals with themes of betrayal and the desire to be alone in the world.

#14 Posted by fang273 (194 posts) -

Far Cry 2 feels super lonely, even if you're calling in buddies.

#15 Edited by TobbRobb (4752 posts) -

Go play Dark Souls Offline. Despair at the loneliness and overwhelming odds. That game is actually super atmospheric, and really gives off a "me versus the world" kind of feeling

#16 Posted by Hunter5024 (5821 posts) -

Is this question really about games?

#17 Posted by Nictel (2429 posts) -
#18 Posted by MC_Hify (341 posts) -

Doom

#19 Posted by DeadpanCakes (985 posts) -

No games whose themes revolve around isolation are coming to mind, for some reason. There were quite a few games that have made me feel lonely/alone, like, through the atmosphere before, though.

Games like Shadow of the Colossus, Spec Ops: The Line, Dark Souls, SMT: Nocturne, Planescape: Torment (party-based, but does a pretty good job of making you second guess yourself before trusting anybody your first time through), Antichamber, Bioshock, and some others that escape me at the moment. Horror games are also a pretty good bet; maybe something like Fatal Frame.

#20 Posted by DespicableMe (3 posts) -

Defense of the Ancients 1& 2.

League of Legend.

etc etc.

You have to really focus on the game and they totally make you forget about the outside world when playing. And you feel so fulfilled when you win.

#21 Posted by Korwin (2896 posts) -

You mean ones that aren't Thomas Was Alone?

#22 Posted by LackingSaint (1833 posts) -

Most FPSRPGs fit the "lone wolf" style with the gameplay; my character barely talked to people in Fallout: New Vegas and Far Cry 3.

#23 Posted by Humanity (9604 posts) -

There is that game, can't remember the title maybe someone can help me out here - pixel graphics but kinda looks like everything is made from mosaic. Sidescrollers view. Survival horror - the protagonist wears a mask that looks like a big grin?

That was a real loner type game.

#24 Posted by Pezen (1635 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid on Playstation. Snake's philosophy always clicked with me when I wasn't seeing any value in being social.

Meryl Silverburgh: Any family?

Solid Snake: No, but I was raised by many people.

Meryl Silverburgh: Is there anyone you like?

Solid Snake: I've never been interested in anyone else's life...

Meryl Silverburgh: So you are all alone. Just like Mantis said...

Solid Snake: Other people just complicate my life. I don't like to get involved.

Meryl Silverburgh: ...You're a sad, lonely man.

#25 Posted by Chaser324 (6651 posts) -

As others have said, it's a somewhat common trope in JRPGs, but those games almost always revolve around the protagonist discovering the power of friendship or some such bull shit.

The best examples that I can think of are games that involve some sort of tragedy befalling the protagonists friends/family ala Max Payne and games that revolve around survival like maybe Miasmata or Don't Starve (...to the extent that those actually have main characters).

#26 Posted by Danteveli (1197 posts) -

Wasn't there Rainbow Six Lone Wolf?

#27 Posted by golguin (3969 posts) -

@humanity said:

There is that game, can't remember the title maybe someone can help me out here - pixel graphics but kinda looks like everything is made from mosaic. Sidescrollers view. Survival horror - the protagonist wears a mask that looks like a big grin?

That would be Lone Survivor.

#28 Posted by Blackout62 (1357 posts) -

Every FPS that's ever said "Nevermind this army, just have the player character do it".

#29 Edited by Humanity (9604 posts) -

@golguin said:

@humanity said:

Yes that's the one. I played like an hour of that - very much a loner game.

#30 Posted by Rafaelfc (1382 posts) -

Dead Space

#31 Edited by ToTheNines (755 posts) -

I feel like a broken record, this is like my third post mentioning this game. The wolf among us.

#32 Posted by armaan8014 (5416 posts) -

Renegade in Mass Effect 3? :P

#33 Edited by Kidavenger (3582 posts) -

The Cat Lady

I think there is a huge difference between a loner and someone in a situation where they happen to be alone due to circumstances beyond their control which seem to be the majority of what people are referencing here.

#34 Posted by Dauragon (554 posts) -

Any kind of old space exploration game can be pretty lonely and cool.

I also used to really like lone wolfing it in mmorpgs during my depressive periods.

God of War works too as Kratos is the Ultimate Loner.

#35 Posted by Nottle (1917 posts) -

As people have mentioned FF8 and TWEWY are about very laconic loners, the story revolves around how they need to trust other people to succeed, hell mechanically that is what TWEWY is about, Neku is bound to another person and you have to learn to use both characters effectively to win. Also pretty much every character you get in your party exists to be a foil to Squall. Though of course ultimately the message of those games is that you need other people in your life neither are really alone through their journey.

You'd be surprised, pretty much every game outside of team based RPGS and shooters is about someone all on their own Metroid, Zelda, Half Life, Resident Evil, Dead Space, pretty much all survival horror have characters alone, getting zero help from anyone for large portions of the game. Metroid didn't even have NPCS until Metroid Fusion, and he was a computer.

#36 Edited by capaho (16 posts) -

Fallout

#37 Posted by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -

MMOs if you solo them are very lonely. Just like in real life you're surrounded by people but at the same time completely alone. /wrist

I can't really think of anything that deals with loneliness specifically outside of the game Thomas Was Alone. That is a super good game that not enough people played and was something that really grabbed me. I never thought I could care about tiny little shapes as much as I did when I played that.

#38 Edited by Jeust (10755 posts) -

@golguin said:

@humanity said:

That game is not recomended for people feeling lonely and depressed, as the game is a psycological horror game dealing with loneliness and madness.

A good loner game is Ni No Kuni.

Also an interesting anime short movie dealing with loneliness is Kigeki:

#39 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Fragile Dreams, although not by choice.

#40 Edited by Levius (1171 posts) -

I guess games in the style of Minecraft when played offline can get a lone guy surviving by his own skills sort of feel.

#41 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
#42 Posted by Humanity (9604 posts) -
#43 Edited by believer258 (11999 posts) -

Are you looking for a character that is a loner or a game where there are no characters other than you?

Super Metroid and Metroid Prime are my favorite examples of the latter. Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne does have things that talk to you, but your character is never surrounded by a group of friends. He just controls demons. There's absolutely no one else in Doom. Skyrim can feel pretty lonely, especially since when you're in town, you're usually ignoring everyone that isn't a shopkeeper or quest-giver. Incidentally, these happen to be a few of my favorite games.

If you're looking for characters that are lonely - most of them seem to choose to be lonely instead of just finding themselves ignored by people they call friends.

Also,

and the of the things I like have a trust your friends or your friends will be there for you when you need them kind of feeling or theme.

Read this out loud to yourself and tell me if it makes any sense whatsoever. If you want a "your friends will be there for you" theme, then play Persona 4.

#44 Edited by Brenderous (1105 posts) -

Dude, I don't mean to sound like a dick, but literally every single video game ever made is about a male loner protagonist. </hyperbole>

Seriously though, there's a lot of them. THERE IS A GIANT BOMB CONCEPT PAGE FOR THEM: http://www.giantbomb.com/loner/3015-3856/

#45 Posted by ElCapitan (402 posts) -

Lone Survivor

#46 Posted by The_Nubster (2264 posts) -

Dude, I don't mean to sound like a dick, but literally every single video game ever made is about a male loner protagonist. </hyperbole>

Seriously though, there's a lot of them. THERE IS A GIANT BOMB CONCEPT PAGE FOR THEM: http://www.giantbomb.com/loner/3015-3856/

That's just a link to every Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, and Ninja Gaiden game. Weird.

#47 Posted by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

Deadly Premonition ? He talks to himself all the time about movies and shit.

#48 Posted by neato (76 posts) -

I think Dark Souls would be perfect.

#49 Posted by peritus (1050 posts) -

@saoakden: I think @believer258's suggestions are pretty good. I Especially like Persona 4. I hope that they will cheer you up!

#50 Posted by audioBusting (1623 posts) -

The Wolf Among Us seems to deal with that sort of self-reliance, though it's only 1/5 of the way through so far so nobody can really say yet. Everybody hates the main character and he's convinced that being a loner is necessary to do his job.