#1 Edited by Kyle (2325 posts) -

Anyone know of any good games where i can type fake commands lines into a green-on-black text interface or something and feel like I'm in a cyberpunk world?

#2 Posted by SmotPoker (38 posts) -

Uplink.

#3 Posted by supermike6 (3641 posts) -
@SmotPoker said:
" Uplink. "
#4 Posted by Kyle (2325 posts) -
@supermike6 said:
" @SmotPoker said:
" Uplink. "
"
OH YEAH. Forgot about that.
#5 Posted by jakob187 (21757 posts) -
@supermike6 said:
" @SmotPoker said:
" Uplink. "
"
This.  I would also suggest Enter The Matrix.  It's not really a "hacking game", but in order to unlock all the cheats, you have a little DOS prompt mode that you go into and literally have to put in DOS commands to get through directories and hack the system.  I enjoyed that part FAR more than the actual game.
#6 Posted by bcjohnnie (442 posts) -

Yeah dude, there's a demo of Uplink out there on the Introversion Website.  It's not exactly typing commands in a blank screen like the original Hacker games , but it's super intense, probably still worth the 10 bucks on Steam.  It's got that super sleek Introversion look (see Defcon for this too).

If you're really jonesing after this, there's the Hacker Evolution games on Steam, but those appear to be not quite as good.

#7 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" @supermike6 said:
" @SmotPoker said:
" Uplink. "
"
This.  I would also suggest Enter The Matrix.  It's not really a "hacking game", but in order to unlock all the cheats, you have a little DOS prompt mode that you go into and literally have to put in DOS commands to get through directories and hack the system.  I enjoyed that part FAR more than the actual game. "
I did enjoy the hacking minigame puzzle from enter the matrix. That is so much better than the game it is set around. 

However, yes, uplink is the king of this post.
#8 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
@jakob187: Yes! I remember how long it took for me to unlock the sword...
#9 Posted by Kyle (2325 posts) -
@jakob187 said: 
I would also suggest Enter The Matrix.  It's not really a "hacking game", but in order to unlock all the cheats, you have a little DOS prompt mode that you go into and literally have to put in DOS commands to get through directories and hack the system.  I enjoyed that part FAR more than the actual game. "
Haha, yeah I remember that. I actually re-bought the game a few years ago for like $2 at gamestop just to mess around the with minigame again, but it wasn't compatible with USB keyboards so I said "no thanks." And honestly, why did I expect anything convenient out of that game?
#10 Posted by ComradeKritstov (693 posts) -

I would also suggest Digital. It might not be exactly what you are looking for I thought it was pretty fun/interesting. Also, it's free so you can't really go wrong.

#11 Posted by drew (126 posts) -
@jakob187
@supermike6 said:
" @SmotPoker said:
" Uplink. "
"
This.  I would also suggest Enter The Matrix.  It's not really a "hacking game", but in order to unlock all the cheats, you have a little DOS prompt mode that you go into and literally have to put in DOS commands to get through directories and hack the system.  I enjoyed that part FAR more than the actual game.
This. I really enjoyed being dropped into the terminal with no instructions and having to figure out how to unlock everything. Finding the next clue and breaking open a new part of the system was immensely satisfying.
#12 Posted by Kyle (2325 posts) -

Thanks a lot, guys. I'll go check out those games.

#13 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Uplink x1,000,000 I don't care how many people need to post it to get it through your head. I effing love that game. 

#14 Posted by Kyle (2325 posts) -
@ComradeKritstov said:
" I would also suggest Digital. It might not be exactly what you are looking for I thought it was pretty fun/interesting. Also, it's free so you can't really go wrong. "
Digital is really cool! I booted it up earlier today with the intention of messing around with it for a couple minutes and ended up playing it for like two hours.
#15 Posted by buzz_clik (7026 posts) -
#16 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

The Genesis version of Shadowrun has some cool hacking stuff.  It may not emulate reality as well as Uplink but it's cool in that Neuromancer cyberpunk style.

#17 Posted by ComradeKritstov (693 posts) -
@Kyle said:
" @ComradeKritstov said:
" I would also suggest Digital. It might not be exactly what you are looking for I thought it was pretty fun/interesting. Also, it's free so you can't really go wrong. "
Digital is really cool! I booted it up earlier today with the intention of messing around with it for a couple minutes and ended up playing it for like two hours. "
That's awesome! Glad you liked it. =D
#18 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

Uplink, Uplink, UPLINK!

#19 Edited by WrathOfBanja (355 posts) -

Bioshock.

#20 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

Dystopia is a great half life 2 multiplayer mod with a whole cyberspace hacking world. Uplink has already been said, the hacker games are fairly similar to uplink and are worth a look!

#21 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" @supermike6 said:
" @SmotPoker said:
" Uplink. "
"
This.  I would also suggest Enter The Matrix.  It's not really a "hacking game", but in order to unlock all the cheats, you have a little DOS prompt mode that you go into and literally have to put in DOS commands to get through directories and hack the system.  I enjoyed that part FAR more than the actual game. "
Dude, it took so long to unlock the katana.  Cheats made that game so fun.  I broke the game once by firing the grenade launcher with infinite ammo too much, heh.
#22 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -
@xobballox said:
" @jakob187 said:
" @supermike6 said:
" @SmotPoker said:
" Uplink. "
"
Dude, it took so long to unlock the katana.  Cheats made that game so fun.  I broke the game once by firing the grenade launcher with infinite ammo too much, heh. "
How old is Uplink anyway?
#23 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

System Shock 2

#24 Posted by timmysprinkles (73 posts) -

What you should do is make 2 virtual machines and throw CentOS on one and Arch Linux on the other. After that, install and run Bastille Linux on the CentOS box and try to break into it with the Arch box. Have fun! :D

#25 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3242 posts) -

Black Ops. There's a perk called "hacker" where you can sabotage turrets.

:O

#27 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -
#28 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

I really enjoyed the hacking in Dues Ex... I'm a noob

#29 Posted by DarthOrange (3892 posts) -

PlayStation Network. :P

#30 Edited by Bollard (5841 posts) -

Epic necro-bump. Also for the record has like 0 typing it's like click these buttons to hack.

#31 Edited by dcgc (878 posts) -

For me, Hacker Evolution series games are really great and probably the best ones made yet.

EDIT: As suggested before, Uplink is also really good.

#32 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
#33 Edited by sordidarchetype (1 posts) -

If you are interested in a free hacking game, I just finished a new beta recently for "The Hacker's Sandbox".
It's basically a simulation of unix-like system hacking.

The default mission pack is based on an older hacking game called Fate (back from about 1999 or so).

The neat thing here is that the game engine is script-able with Lua, so anyone can make their own mission packs if they'd like to.

You can find it on the flying monkey army website: http://www.flyingmonkeyarmy.com/

It's probably worth mentioning that the game is available for Windows, OSX, and Linux.
:)

#34 Posted by h0lgr (911 posts) -

Go check out the command prompt in the first Black Ops.
You won't be disappointed.

#35 Edited by dannyodwyer (365 posts) -
@smotpoker said:

Uplink.

LOCK THE THREAD. HOLE IN ONE

#36 Posted by bgdiner (293 posts) -

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet, but Hackertype, though not a game per se, lets you type fake text on a hacking interface (though what you type has no impact on what actually appears). I've fooled a few people with it though.

Enter the Matrix is also pretty cool for that hacker interface, though I may be the only guy that actually liked the game.

#37 Posted by Danato (1 posts) -

@dcgc said:

For me, Hacker Evolution series games are really great and probably the best ones made yet.

seriously dude, Hacker Evolution series is jst a big piece of crap. do you really enjoy a hacking game in which all u do is just click around and the difficulty of the game is that there is a continuous non-sense, unrealistic trace. Any server you try to hack for the first time resumes the trace automatically, started by other servers around the world... that doesn't make sense at all. Its like the whole world is using one single server, and they are all just waiting for you. And Exosyphen is doing the same mistake for years and years

Ive played H.E. Time Dimensions from 2007, and Duality from 2011, and none of them are even close to Uplink (2001). For many years i couldnt find any game better than Uplink until very recently.

If you liked Uplink, you will definitely like Codelink v2, which was initially designed to be an Uplink 2 (although the developer is not related to Uplink), it became something way more than that, its great.

And if you want something more advanced, you wanna create your own tools and programs ingame, try Dark Signs, a pure awesome console based game with a whole lot of different commands. If you don't know much about programming, this might be a good place for you to start getting some programming logic. And if you already program, you can use some logic to create a whole bunch of stuff

#38 Posted by dcgc (878 posts) -

@danato said:

@dcgc said:

seriously dude, Hacker Evolution series is jst a big piece of crap. do you really enjoy a hacking game in which all u do is just click around and the difficulty of the game is that there is a continuous non-sense, unrealistic trace. Any server you try to hack for the first time resumes the trace automatically, started by other servers around the world... that doesn't make sense at all. Its like the whole world is using one single server, and they are all just waiting for you. And Exosyphen is doing the same mistake for years and years

Ive played H.E. Time Dimensions from 2007, and Duality from 2011, and none of them are even close to Uplink (2001). For many years i couldnt find any game better than Uplink until very recently.

If you liked Uplink, you will definitely like Codelink v2, which was initially designed to be an Uplink 2 (although the developer is not related to Uplink), it became something way more than that, its great.

And if you want something more advanced, you wanna create your own tools and programs ingame, try Dark Signs, a pure awesome console based game with a whole lot of different commands. If you don't know much about programming, this might be a good place for you to start getting some programming logic. And if you already program, you can use some logic to create a whole bunch of stuff

Ah yes, you played the worst H.E. game. I agree, it's stupid that they removed the console for that game and made it a sort of click mini-game. I know that they added the console later, but it is still essentially a game where you need to click trough it, because the console just won't do it (the pacing is really fast, faster than in the previous games, using the console will only be more difficult). The best H.E. game is Untold (the second game). It's an update to the original game, I believe it has a few new commands. As for the trace thing, well, it's not supposed to be full realistic (it has commands like 'crack' or 'hack', those commands don't exist in the unix bash, unless you define them of course). Codelink and Dark Signs, never heard of them, thanks for the suggestion (fortunately, I've been coding for a few years).