Any GOOD Pacific Rim-style games?

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I watched Pacific Rim yesterday and had a glorious time. Now I'm jonesing for a good video game dealing with the same sort of theme. With the XBLA game being a total turd, is there anything else that is thematically comparable in recent gaming memory?

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Deranged

Any mech game would probably be loads better than Pacific Rim, but most lack the whole "robot vs monster" deathmatch vibe.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oraknabo
No Caption Provided

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I think it's War of the Monsters on the PS2 I've heard good things about. According to one Giantbomb.com you can get it on the PS3N as well.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@theht said:

I think it's War of the Monsters on the PS2 I've heard good things about. According to one Giantbomb.com you can get it on the PS3N as well.

I played a whole lot of War of the Monsters back when it was released. Really good, mindless-fun game. A nice set of playable monsters and arenas, with a lot of buildings capable of being destroyed. It might not have aged entirely well, but I still think it's worth looking into.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zone of the enders 1 and 2

Loading Video...

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

This. Play as the robot dude, fight the monster dudes. Victory!

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By warchief
Kyotsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Xenogears. You can even snag it on PSN. It is a must play, and features giant robots.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Quarters

@oraknabo said:
No Caption Provided

Stole the words out of my mouth. MAN, I need to play that game again.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If you're looking for giant mechs you can't go wrong with Zone of The Enders or Armored Core.

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Kaiju, but there's a bunch of Front Mission games out there. Front Mission 3 being the best of the bunch, by my account.

And, although you don't do any fighting, Attack of the Friday Monsters! on 3DS focuses around a bunch of kids who live in town where Kaiju fight on the outskirts.

Or, you know, you could just watch Gurren Lagaan.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Primal Rage obv

Front Mission 3 is the best mech game of all time I suppose, but it doesn't have monsters and isn't a fighting game *gasp*

Xenogears is really fucking boring after the first 10-15 hours or so; Xenosaga is much more tightly paced plus it just has a better story overall, 2nd and 3rd one have independent mech combat which is generally pretty interesting.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Also, Virtual On.

Get leady!
Get leady!

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nottle

I remember thinking the mech boss fights in Goemon's Great Adventure were pretty good.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AgnosticJesus

The Pacific Rim game on XBLA is unbelievably good. It's probably the best game released on Live in the last 2-3 years.

Vance_Helsing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

The obvious ones were already mentioned in this thread but King of the Monsters and Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee (fucking horrible title) are worth a look. The former's a Neo-Geo (and Nick Arcade) staple, the latter was a dumb Godzilla game, emphasis on dumb.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By EpicSteve
Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cloudenvy
Mooninaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mooninaut
No Caption Provided

...is 1994 "recent"?

One Must Fall: 2097 is a hell of a giant robot fighting game, if you can get past the DOS-ass graphics. It has ranged attacks, combos, upgrades, throws, arena hazards, secret characters, secret levels, an extensive and ridiculous story mode, hyper moves, cheat codes, destruction moves, and characters with radically different play styles. One robot can teleport and alter time, another has wings, a third is a repurposed industrial demolition machine with huge chain flails, etc.

It's abandonware now, so there's really no reason not to grab it and fire up DosBox.

PizzaSauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had to go see Pacific Rim today after listening to the Bombcast, didn't even care that I had nobody to go with. Man that film is dumb yet great at the same time.

bitscreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooninaut: I have so many fond memories of OMF: 2097. I played the shareware version for years.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@mooninaut: OMF is fantastic; also, I believe it's officially freeware.

Hm, maybe I should replay it again...

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xenogears is really fucking boring after the first 10-15 hours or so; Xenosaga is much more tightly paced plus it just has a better story overall, 2nd and 3rd one have independent mech combat which is generally pretty interesting.

What? No. Xenosaga was three, 40+ hour games of incoherent boredom consisting mostly of cutscene. You're better off just watching the cutscenes spliced together on Youtube. At least Xenogears crammed all its convolution into one game, with many more outstanding moments of awesome, and some actual gameplay. Even if disc 2 was all fucked up.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

The obvious ones were already mentioned in this thread but King of the Monsters and Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee (fucking horrible title) are worth a look. The former's a Neo-Geo (and Nick Arcade) staple, the latter was a dumb Godzilla game, emphasis on dumb.

I agree that it was dumb and silly, but it was still neat! They had like 3 versions of Godzilla! And multiple robot versions of characters! Gah, it wasn't great. I just liked it a lot I guess. Part of the attraction was that they made two Godzilla fighting games which in itself is pretty bizarre and risky.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By BBAlpert

Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee certainly has some redeeming qualities to it, but I don't know that I'd go as far as calling it good. Definitely better than it could have been, though.

@sinusoidal I don't know if this is true, but I heard that the main reason why disc 2 is the way it is was that Squaresoft ran out of money earlier than they had planned. So what was supposed to be a much more elaborate conclusion to the story turned into "shit, we need to wrap this up now. And we don't have any money for new assets, so just have everyone monologue in front of a black background or something!"

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

BEST FUCKING GAME EVAR!!!111!1!

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

@bbalpert said:

Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee certainly has some redeeming qualities to it, but I don't know that I'd go as far as calling it good. Definitely better than it could have been, though.

I believe there was a sequel for the Wii that had more monsters playable as well. Dunno if it was any better than the original, though, as I never played it.

Maaan, how has no one made a good giant stuff fightin' other giant stuff game in the recent past? There's been such a mech resurgence with Mechwarrior Online and Hawken, too.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I know it's not really the same thing at all, but watching the movie a second time kind of got me in the mood for Lost Planet. Since I only own the second one and don't really want to play it again, I bought the first for $5 last night since that Capcom sale was still going on. It sort of satisfies the need to destroy a variety of giant alien creatures, sometimes with mech suits.

I couldn't help but notice that the opening to Pacific Rim and the opening to LP1 are more than a little similar, though. It's actually really weird.

Avatar image for themightyskullboy
TheMightySkullboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Earth Defense Force is pretty fun. You spend most of the time on foot, so it's not exactly Pacific Rim style, but there is a mech you can pilot. However, the mechs are pretty disposable and will blow up in like thirty seconds. You're better off just going it on foot most of the time.

Loading Video...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fredchuckdave
Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters said:

@oraknabo said:
No Caption Provided

Stole the words out of my mouth. MAN, I need to play that game again.

Not only is it Robot fighting and so forth. But the anime ness of it is very Pac Rim. or Pac Blue?

Loading Video...

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers