• 73 results
GwynethStrong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GwynethStrong

I'm just curious if such a thing exists.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Azteck

Yeah, I've never watched a single anime (unless you count Pokémon as one)? but I love the hell out of most JRPGs.

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Juno500

Barely watch any anime, play tons of JRPGs.

I don't really get why there would be any doubt about whether there are such people. I mean besides the obvious point that watching a TV show and playing a game is quite a different experience, it's not like every JRPG even has an anime style to it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Azteck said:
Yeah, I've never watched a single anime (unless you count Pokémon as one)? but I love the hell out of most JRPGs.
Same.

I don't see why this is so unbelievable OP.
KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By KarlPilkington

@Juno500 said:

Barely watch any anime, play tons of JRPGs.

Same.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#6  Edited By donutfever

Don't play too many JRPGs, Persona is just about it, but I don't watch ANY anime.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By jkuc316

I don't watch anime anymore....

but I read manga

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By jacdg

Me, though I don't play THAT many JRPG's, maybe one or two a year at most.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#9  Edited By Soap

Love me some JRPG's

Can't fucking stand Anime

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By mutha3

Used to be an anime fan.

Anime went to shit, JRPG still let me play around with numbers.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By JoeyRavn
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

Me, kind of. I only recently started watching an anime just to figure out why people don't like it. Still not seeing it.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vexxan

I would imagine a lot of people like JRPGs and having no interest in anime.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I don't have a huge interest in the majority of Anime, but I really like JRPG's. I mean, I largely hate your cliché filled stereotypical anime series' that you might associate with the average JRPG fan. But then I do love stuff like Miyazaki films. Anyone who hates all anime is either being a dick for the sake of it, or doesn't understand it fully. It's so broad with so many different genre's, saying "I hate anime" is like saying "I hate all western live action movies/tv shows", which is obviously dumb.

Wow, that's a bit of a tangent I went off on. Anyway, yes, I'm sure plenty of JRPG fans have little/no interest in anime.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By TobbRobb
I play a LOT of Jrpgs, but I can't fucking stand anime. So there you go.
@MattyFTM: Alright, I love Howl's moving castle, EXCUUUUUUSE ME.
Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By Cincaid

I usually enjoy the gameplay and the length of a good JRPG, but also usually hate the story, characters and setting. And I can honestly say I've never watched a single anime in my life, nor do I plan to.

So yes...I guess you can say that I'm a JRPG fan who don't watch anime.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TechHits
@Soap said:

Love me some JRPG's

Same here, same here.
craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By craigbo180

I don't really play that many JRPG's but have definitely enjoyed quite a few, I almost never watch anime I have basically only ever watched Pokemon and Dragon Ball when I was younger. There is a correlation between a lot of JRPG and Anime fans being jerks but it is never nice to make assumptions.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By DeF

I don't care about animes (I have noting against them, I'm just not interested but I've seen a few things over the years) and I like JRPGs (when they're good ...cause I like good games in general^^)

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By beforet

I used to watch a fair amount, but haven't for a while.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By toowalrus

I do like JRPGs even though I haven't played one in awhile, but I will never understand why people like anime, I just can't grasp what the fuck people see in it.

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Tally_Pants
@Azteck said:
Same here
Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Add me to the list.  
Sorry if this is exploding your mind, OP.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jkuc316
@TooWalrus: Depends on the genre: people may see crazy, Japanese type of comedy, The type of supernatural action scenes only Japanese people can imagine, or the "Slice of Life" that gives people an idea of what it feels like to be, well, Japanese. (Sorry for too much use of the word Japanese, but most of these may only appeal to those who understand Japanese Culture or at least a bit of it.)
mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mattbosten

I play some JRPGs (wouldn't say I'm a massive fan but I certainly enjoy them) and have never watched any anime. Even completed Blue Dragon which is (as far as I'm aware) based entirely on an anime.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jkuc316
@MattBosten said:

I play some JRPGs (wouldn't say I'm a massive fan but I certainly enjoy them) and have never watched any anime. Even completed Blue Dragon which is (as far as I'm aware) based entirely on an anime.

I believe it is backwards, The Gooch made the Blue Dragon game and Toriyama(Dragon Ball, Dr. Slump), who made the art(obvious from his style of drawing), assisted in making the Anime and Manga
hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hwy_61

@Soap said:

Love me some JRPG's

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By time allen

love certain JRPGs. haven't watched much anime, tho. dragonball z, pokemon, and digimon in my youth. that's about it.

mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mattbosten

@jkuc316said:

@MattBosten said:

I believe it is backwards, The Gooch made the Blue Dragon game and Toriyama(Dragon Ball, Dr. Slump), who made the art(obvious from his style of drawing), assisted in making the Anime and Manga

I see, I knew there was some kind of anime/manga related to it and just assumed that the game was based upon it.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Chop

I don't play many JRPGS anymore (Used to love them) but I'm still known to get into one every now and then. I tried to watch one or two animes back in the day and they did nothing but annoy me. 

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mutha3
@TooWalrus said:

I do like JRPGs even though I haven't played one in awhile, but I will never understand why people like anime, I just can't grasp what the fuck people see in it.

Even though I dislike most modern anime, this is pretty silly.

They're Japanese cartoons. People might enjoy cartoons for various reasons: fluid animation can be very nice to watch, a distinct art-style can be as well. Some people like the storytelling coventions present in cartoons. That's all there is to it.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By wrighteous86

I like Chrono Trigger, FFX and X-2, and FFIX. I'll probably try Persona one of these days. I have no interest in any other JRPGs, though I'm not closed off to the idea.

The only anime I've ever seen was Cowboy Bebop, and it was pretty good. No interest in anime, though I'm not closed off to the idea.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33  Edited By JasonR86
@GwynethStrong

They do.  I don't dislike Anime as I've yet to watch many Anime films but I do enjoy a good JRPG...sometimes.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By toowalrus

@mutha3 said:

@TooWalrus said:

Even though I dislike most modern anime, this is pretty silly. They're Japanese cartoons. People might enjoy cartoons for various reasons: fluid animation can be very nice to watch, a distinct art-style can be as well. Some people like the storytelling coventions present in cartoons. That's all there is to it.

Of course people have their reasons- 'fluid animation' doesn't really matter to me in cartoons, I don't like the art-style, and the story-telling is plain awful (to me, and at least in what I've seen). I understand what people like, I just don't understand why people like it, and that's probably never going to change.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Brendan

I can see where the OP would make the connection, what with the majority of the biggest JRPG fans on Giantbomb seeming to sport anime avatars and whatnot, but I think there are plenty of people who like one but not the other.

Such as me! Although I haven't really gotten into a JRPG in a while. The last one was Golden Sun DS.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SlasherMan

I'll play a good JRPG every now and then, but I don't care for anime at all.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Ha - it's cool to claim you're totally against the status quo and to prove you wrong!

...yeah I watched anime when I used to play JRPG's - so fuck every lying cunt in this thread.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MideonNViscera

Yeah, I liked JRPGs because back in the day the graphics sucked too bad for the Japanese influence to really come out. When FF7 came out I was like "Seriously, what is this shit?" but I kept it up because the games were still good. Nowadays I never even like the ones I try, and I just delude myself into buying them. "Oh sweet, a new RPG! I loved those 15 years ago!". Then I get it home and everybody's androgynous, shrill, and retarded.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39  Edited By buft

Like JRPGs, don't watch anime

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By subject2change

I've only seen a handful of Animes but generally like JRPGs at least PS1/PS2 era.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Vorbis

Love JRPGs, tried to watch anime, just can't do it.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lemoncookie01

I like JRPG's.Last anime I saw was High School of the Dead and it ruined anime for me.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By BoG

I have never been a very regular anime watcher, and I love JRPGs.
Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I don't hate anime, but I've only watched a handful that I really liked (mostly the tentpole stuff like Cowboy Bebop and Gurren Lagaan, Paranoia Agent was cool too, and I like a couple anime movies but that's about it). I like JRPGs, but not really the kind of new style where they have really long poorly voice-acted cutscenes and copy paste dungeon design (and worse, don't even let you explore around town and do JRPG shit like talk to all the townspeople and search their housed for free items), which is the kind of JRPG I assume the OP is thinking of.

So I guess my answer is I like both, but believe Sturgeon's Law affects them more than other, similar types of entertainment.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45  Edited By crusader8463

I haven't watched anime in a very long time. I watched most of the "greats", and several in between, but every time I go looking for new stuff now all I ever find is Moe Blob trash. Besides the over use of cliche in everything, my biggest problem with anime recently has been the over use of pointless fan service in everything. I'm all for nudity and sex in everthing if it's in a scene that makes sense or adds to the story, but it really drives me nuts when they are basically doing upskirts every 5 seconds for no reason other ten to sell an uncensored DVD to the rich pervs that buy those things just for that reason.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By YI_Orange

To go a bit against what seems to be the trend here, I love JRPGs and used to watch anime. I really only saw the ones you might expect(DBZ, YYH, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Rurouni Kenshin, Outlaw Star, Samurai Champloo, and Gungrave. The last couple might not fit in). And while I don't watch any anymore, I still read the One Piece manga every week. It's too good not to.

fibanachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By fibanachi

With JRPGs you are taking part in the ridiculousness instead of passively hating it with anime.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ChickenPants

Don't really like JRPGs anymore, other than Persona 4 and Demon's Souls(which is basically a Western RPG). Come to think of it, the only JRPGs I really enjoyed back in the day were Final Fantasys.

From what I've seen/come into contact with, anime is trash.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By QuistisTrepe

Hell no. Anime is just plain silly to me. In fact, I believe that with most anime fans, what's stored on their hard drives would get them 10 to 20.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Turambar

I love JRPGs and I don't watch as much Anime as before, though that has more to do with my work schedule not giving me enough time to watch a lot, not so much diminishing love for the medium.  Broken Blade episode 6.  Calling it now, best OVA this season.