Any screen sharing software that runs OK for games?

ColdsnapBryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ColdsnapBryan

Sometimes I need to access my PC from another location and run a game to see how it looks. Any PC screen sharing software I have runs at like 1FPS during games. Is there any software that does this with decent FPS?

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Grumbel

I don't think there is any. You could try reducing the resolution as much as you can to get an increase in frame rate, but that's pretty much it. Companies like OnLive do have the technology to do that kind of streaming, but they are using specialized encoder hardware, not just software and I don't think they sell any of it to consumers.

ColdsnapBryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ColdsnapBryan

Ah, good idea with the decreasing the resolution. That would probably help a lot.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By psylah

You could probably use twitch.tv to stream and connect to your pc remotely to start the game.

You're not actually looking to play it remotely, are you? Just see it?

ColdsnapBryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ColdsnapBryan

Yea, I have to test features ect. So I need control. That's good thinking though!

ColdsnapBryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ColdsnapBryan

Turning down the resoltion helped a bit, went from like .1 fps to at least 5... manageable.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Even reducing display resolution and tweaking all of the VNC performance options, you are never going to have a usable experience for anything more than desktop work. It's an enormous amount of data to transmit and a lot of data to crunch (if you're compressing it to save on the data transmission).

What are you accessing it from? Can you not just install a VM on the system you're actually using? It won't be exceptional, but it'll perform far better than going over a VNC and most current VMs at least offer DX9 support, by this time.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

....Just wait until you get on your compooper duder. It's not worth the trouble.