#1 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4609 posts) -

I used the search function and couldn't find an answer, so I'm asking the community:

I'm currently trying to buy a year long membership from the Whiskey store (via paypal), and there's an issue. I don't want the shirt. I live way out in the sticks and I have a hard time getting mail delivered to my address. A lot of places don't deliver - it apparently doesn't exist as a verified address.

Anyhow, I don't want the shirt. Any way to opt out of it?

#2 Edited by deskp (444 posts) -

you dont get a shirt with your membership, you do get 15 dollar coupon, that you can donate to chairity, to whiskeymedia or towards another member getting a subscribtion!

#3 Posted by spookyfaust (53 posts) -

Sho' nuff.

You can donate the money (to charity or back to the WM community). Details here.

#4 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4609 posts) -

@spookyfaust said:

Sho' nuff.

You can donate the money (to charity or back to the WM community). Details here.

And I'll get my gold medal if I donate $50 to charity?

#5 Posted by DerekDanahy (867 posts) -

@KingWilly: Its a 15 dollar voucher basically. You could if you wanted to hold onto the 15 bucks in the store (still paying 50 dollars for the annual membership) and still get the gold medal.

#6 Posted by spookyfaust (53 posts) -

@KingWilly:

What now?

I'mma try this again: click here!

#7 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

With your subscription you get $15 to spend in the store, one of the options is a t shirt but there's a few things to choose from. You can opt out of the tshirt but it's not like you save the money that you would have spent on it.

#8 Posted by Mesklinite (804 posts) -

So for 50$ you can give 15 to charity, 35 to whiskeymedia. Click on the link above. Explains it.

#9 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4609 posts) -

@cap123 said:

With your subscription you get $15 to spend in the store, one of the options is a t shirt but there's a few things to choose from. You can opt out of the tshirt but it's not like you save the money that you would have spent on it.

That's not the concern. I just don't want it. I want to buy the subscription, but it won't let me choose an option without the bloody thing. I'm wondering if there's a way to buy the sub without being asked where I want the shirt shipped.

#10 Edited by BisonHero (6247 posts) -

@KingWilly said:

@spookyfaust said:

Sho' nuff.

And I'll get my gold medal if I donate $50 to charity?

To make it extra clear:

• You give them $50. That goes to Whiskey Media
  • You are now a premium member, and they send you an email that contains a $15 coupon/code to use in the Whiskey Media Store
  • If you don't want a t-shirt, you may instead redeem that $15 in the form of charity donations or essentially giving it back to Giant Bomb by clicking on "Worthy Causes" or "Semi-Worthy Causes" in the link that spookyfaust provided

Edit: OK, disregard much of this post, since I think you get it. It asks for your billing address during the signup, does it not? Is it rejecting that because of your rural location, or what?

#11 Posted by Pickingwings (181 posts) -

Well, if you get it through Paypal I believe you don't get a $15 voucher as stated here "Note that if you buy through PayPal, you will not receive an emailed discount code for $15.00 but will automatically receive the member t-shirt shown on this product page." As the answer to your question, I'm not sure if you can opt out of it.

#12 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4609 posts) -

@BisonHero: No, I just don't want the shirt. I would like the option on the store page to buy the sub without them wanting to send me a shirt. I'm wondering if that's possible, since I don't want to pay the shipping fee for a shirt I don't want shipped to me.

#13 Posted by Animasta (14651 posts) -

@KingWilly said:

@BisonHero: No, I just don't want the shirt. I would like the option on the store page to buy the sub without them wanting to send me a shirt. I'm wondering if that's possible, since I don't want to pay the shipping fee for a shirt I don't want shipped to me.

you aren't going to pay a shipping fee until you actually choose whether you get a shirt or not

#14 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

Just buy the sub. You'll be charged $50, not get a shirt, and not have to pay shipping on anything.

#15 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

They changed it up. They don't automatically send you a shirt anymore. Instead they give you $15 to spend in the store, which also has donation options.

#16 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4609 posts) -

@Slaker117: @Laketown: As soon as I go to purchase the membership, it tacks on the shipping fee associated with the shirt (the same one I don't want). I don't know if I'm stupid or missing something, but it took eight days for Paypal to transfer the $50 from my bank account to the paypal (Canadian resident, takes 6-8 business days), and I don't want to spend another six to eight days waiting for an extra ten bucks to clear.

#17 Posted by benpicko (2002 posts) -

I think that you should give me the shirt... Seems like a good idea.

Seriously though, the same as everyone else said. Donate it.

#18 Posted by TheKramer89 (422 posts) -

yeah, but guys, he doesn't want the shirt...

#19 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -
@KingWilly: Strange, that's not what it was like for me. Only thing I can say is try contacting support.
#20 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

Back away from the shirt man.

#21 Edited by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I don't think you guys realize that paying with Paypal is an entirely separate option selected in the store now. I could be wrong though.

#22 Posted by nick_verissimo (1380 posts) -

@TheKramer89: I actually lol'd when I read that.

#23 Posted by superfunhappygun (83 posts) -

Just to clear up a lot of confusion here:

No, you cannot not select the T-shirt when you buy it via Paypal. You have to take the shirt.

I was in the same boat when I subscribed via Paypal last week. There simply isn't an option not to have the shirt, so for us, instead of getting 15 dollars worth of store credit, we get to pay an additional 15 euros (literally) for shipping our shirt to us, and there's no way around that.

I didn't mind per se because I think the T-shirt looks effing amazing so 15 bucks for a neat shirt isn't too bad. But yeah, you have to commit to that.

#24 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

Did you send a message to any of the staff? I'd think that'd be the first stop.